• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2176 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

I had intended to open this post up with a video and description of Battlepox but that will have to wait. Our pasture is badly flooded and I am not interested in Battlepox extreme mud version. So I will open with:

Listen to your dog....

Saturday night we were getting ready for bed and took our reluctant dogs out to pee. It had been raining and more importantly thundering for 6 hours and during this little pause we hoped to accomplish things of great importance. Our GSD refused to leave the car port. I noticed some oak leaves had blown in near the door and were floating around like down feathers. Odd to have such breeziness with the car in the way. Waki refused to do any "business".

Once inside he came into my bathroom and laid under my feed - something he's never done.

About 10 minutes after the potty out side ritual the rain and wind picked up. Then we heard a roar that got scary loud. We got into shelter with the dogs while the glass windows started to shake. The power went out. The intense wind passed and we went to bed.

In the still blackness of 4 am the lack of "business"caught up with the dogs. Thunder has been replaced with benign fog and the joyous chirps of a billion frogs. Out into the balmy mist we went, lanterns in hand. I nearly tripped over a 2 ft X 0.5 ft roof vent in the driveway. I am greeted with the same fragrance of fractured trees that I recall from driving over the Atchafalaya swamp after Hurricane Andrew. We encounter half a tree across the driveway and the intense scent of pine a few feet farther up.

At 7:30 the pink of dawn greeted us. We were thankful for our camp stove. Scott determined the roof vent wasn't from our house. Then Waki and I counted 5 large white pines and 4 substantial hard wood trees around the house that had been snapped off. Later we found even more deeper in the woods.

I have been through tropical storms and hurricanes inside boarded up houses and always have heard and felt the trees coming down. This wind was so loud that even with several 2.5 ft diameter trees snapping just yards from the house we heard and felt nothing. We were truly fortunate. For this we are grateful.

snaptree3.jpg

snaptree2.jpg

greentwigsprain.jpg

snappedtree1.jpg

nodamageyay.jpg flooding.jpg bigcookiewithdownedtrees.jpg andthenitsnowed.jpg viewofriverfromhouse.jpg

#2 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7594 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Oh my gosh.  Glad you are alright.  Listen to the dogs......but still try to get them to pee when they can!

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#3 oocahtah

oocahtah

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

thank god you are all ok and boy do animals know more than us 

#4 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1485 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

Wow Sherab,  Sooo glad everyone is OK!  Yes, animals can sense things.  Even we people can too but many times brush it off.

Hmmmm, you went all the way to Michigan to get away from Hurricanes and end up with that.  :wacko:

Is that normal or a potential in your area this time of year?  The weather around the country has gotten really fluky.

#5 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3249 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

Safe and sound...that's good.  <_<

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#6 Carolyn

Carolyn

Advanced Member

• 374 posts
  • Interests:Getting used to retirement...looking at the world a whole new way...

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

What a night! Very scary for people and animals. Glad you made it through relatively unscathed.

"When Man waked up he said, 'What is Wild Dog doing here?' and the Woman said, 'His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always.' "  Rudyard Kipling (The Jungle Book) 

#7 Chinatola

Chinatola

Liliko'i & Kekona's Padre

• 1147 posts
  • Interests:Multiple business owner, father of two grown children, guitarist, amateur astronomer & husband of 30 years to my wonderful Julie Ann. Oh yeah...absolutely nuts about dogs!!

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

Holy cow!  Another in a line of close calls!  What's going on up there?  Glad things turned out okay and there was no injury or significant damage.

Chinatola

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized.

--- Daniel Burnham

#8 mommom

mommom

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:AI Dogs, animal companions, making jewelry & cosmetics, iPad games! :)

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

Wow, so crazy scary!!  As everyone else has said, thank goodness everyone is safe and sound.  Amazing that you would hear nothing with those big trees snapping so close by.  

We had the opposite last week or thereabouts (meaning we heard a great deal more than we wanted to) with quarter to golf ball size hail.  Those east of us got baseball, softball size, and greater.  :huh:

“The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.”   ― Charles de Gaulle

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”   ― Mark Twain

#9 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2176 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Thanks everyone.

Scott's response was. ....Well I was planning to lighten up that maple by the barn but wasn't sure how to do it w/o hitting the fence or gate or barn or making a hole in the driveway. Thanks storm.

#10 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2176 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

Well the yard is a bit of a mess and the deck lost most of it's yellow paint over the winter (yes apparently -18 F peels paint - never seen so many buildings with it- guessing it was cold enough for a very thin layer of moisture to freeze and pop that normally wouldn't be in the freezing boundary layer - not so much on my deck - I think we just picked a lemon for coverage but on the buildings around town). I thought I'd post this anyway. The dogs don't seem to mind and are contributing to the general beautification efforts by digging trenches. Here is Hair on Fire or Waki and his beloved Killer Bunny....

Edited by Sherab, 10 May 2014 - 06:55 AM.

#11 Chinatola

Chinatola

• 1147 posts
  • Interests:Multiple business owner, father of two grown children, guitarist, amateur astronomer & husband of 30 years to my wonderful Julie Ann. Oh yeah...absolutely nuts about dogs!!

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

She really is stunning!

Chinatola

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized.

--- Daniel Burnham

#12 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2341 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:12 AM

Lovely! Such fun :) We have similar romps in our yard (sadly minus the matriarch)
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#13 Sri

Sri

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

It's all about the TUBE!!! All the doggy friends must want to play at your house!

#14 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2176 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

We've had the 2 tubes for over 10 years. They are heavy duty agility tunnels. Both have lived 5 years in the heat and sun of Texas w/o fading or becoming brittle and 5 winters in Michigan with down to -18F w/o becoming brittle. Both have been attacked by Waki for 2 years. I could have babied the tunnels and brought them inside and gotten 20 year of life I'm sure but they've been out side this whole time. Waki considers them a den and likes to lay in them.

Attached Thumbnails

• thetube.jpg

Edited by Sherab, 11 May 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#15 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1485 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

Glad to see some green grass up there and SUNSHINE!!!!

#16 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3249 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

:lol:  love the zoomies.

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#17 Chinatola

Chinatola

• 1147 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

Got to get a tube....Lili would probably be afraid though...will wait for new pup to come....

Chinatola

--- Daniel Burnham

#18 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2176 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

C & Sri, Tubes seem to need to be shared. Otherwise they get lonely.

Denise, that yellow thing in the sky - we were a bit concerned but then we remembered what it was.

Miz M & Star, Zommies are the best. Just the other day Scott leaned against the gate and mused that even if Shiva was in his prime there would be a connection missing (even with epic GSD-AID zoomies) that the two AIDs have. It's almost like.... an old married couple. Wish I'd gotten the loop through blue tunnel then yellow and back around.

#19 Carolyn

Carolyn

Advanced Member

• 374 posts
  • Interests:Getting used to retirement...looking at the world a whole new way...

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Tubes are so cool. I should probably get another AIDog so I could get one... :D 

"When Man waked up he said, 'What is Wild Dog doing here?' and the Woman said, 'His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always.' "  Rudyard Kipling (The Jungle Book) 

#20 Chinatola

Chinatola

• 1147 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Tubes are so cool. I should probably get another AIDog so I could get one... :D 

That's as good as reason as any I suppose!

Chinatola

--- Daniel Burnham

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: silliness, an eccentrics life with dogs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users