5 replies to this topic

#1 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:59 PM

It is now 12:52 AM in the land of the third coast, USA. Kaposia sleeps on our bed. At 12:25 AM we were awakened by the most other-worldly howl I've ever heard. I don't know if she was asleep and dreaming or awake, but that's never happened in the nearly 5 years we've had her. It wasn't the melodious howling she does to the ring tone on my phone, this was like a mourning banshee. One long wailing howl. We petted her a little and she seems fine (?) but I'm still awake!
"A life ain't much of a life without a dog in it, s'what I always said."
Dan Gemeinhart, The Honest Truth

#2 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:24 AM

Hmmmmm...just a thought. It's mating season for the coyotes. Maybe she heard something we didn't and responded to that. We've seen a lot more coyotes trotting around the 'burbs lately.

#3 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2376 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:08 PM

Could be. Ours act a bit odd during the rut. We had some singing to us at night for a while from the 'yotes. One was definitely in heat based on the markings. Wonder if she was saying "hello sailor". There was a sort of competitive howling one night between our dogs and the 'yotes.

#4 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

Interesting...good to know.

#5 Berta

Berta

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Walking and biking with Frankie, singing, doing lots of stuff at church, getting closer to God, hanging with friends, eating healthy & otherwise babying my almost 70 y.o. body. (If it weren't for Frankie I could easily become a couch potato:)

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:24 AM

Frankie had a few days of clinginess, wanting to be in my lap or under my legs (not at all her usual thing:), and I've been mystified - maybe it was a reaction to the neighborhood coyotes! We frequently hear them at night, and neighbors report sightings now and then.

#6 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:56 AM

Hmmm...yep, gotta say, the coyotes were howling up on the cliffs behind us, and almost lost Wyot to his taking off towards the sounds and smells- he is my super sensitive, always watchful and sniffing the air- dog. It is that time of year, and I also had a middle of the night weird yelping/howling for a brief minute (too long in my opinion!)...but he went right back to sleep, and didn't even rouse Keechee. Took me a while, though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users