Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

For The Aid That Has Everything...

Here is a neat site that has authentic beaded collars, just in time for Christmas...http://www.silverwolfcreations.net/PET-COLLARS---HORSE-HALTERS.html

Also a well written article about the importance of culteral sensitivity vs cultural misappropriation. Good food for thought. http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/30/living/native-american-fashion-appropriation/index.html?iref=allsearch

Reading your topic title I thought to myself, "Another Indian Dog?" lol

I need to crack out my list of kewl-kollar links.

As you said- just in time for Christmas :)

Star that WOULD be a great stocking stuffer. Tonya, I'm pricing it out for Waki. Something "dressy" for when he's out in the community representing the breed, not for everyday rolling in the mud. I'll let you know what she sais.

Here are a few we really like-

Might have to get them for Gatherings, etc..

cowboy cool canine

native_american__western_collars

I might have to make a version of this one for the kids... :)

Maybe this one for 'every day'

My GAWD those are beautiful. If my dog is dressed up, that means I get to dress up as well. :lol: I just love to costume.

I saw those and they are nice looking (I like the bear one) but if I want a Native American design it's going to be by a Native American Artist. I can't verify those (although the one sourced in New Mexico has a shot). I look for indication of authentic sourcing such as membership in the IACA - Indian Arts and Crafts Association. I also won't eat anything Cajun unless I'm in South Louisiana - it's just not the same, Chere.

http://www.twodogssouthwestgallery.com/southwestern-jewelry/Sterling-Dog-Collars/

There's always sleigh bells...http://www.classicbells.com/

http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/store/index.php/cat_7

The sleigh bells would drive my guys nuts!

Tho I was toying with a set of Mystery Braid collars with simple buckles. Made custom to fit each dog and out of a complimentary color of leather.

The other CarpeCanem collars would be a bit much, as my guys don't need martingales. I don't like 'choke' or constriction collars. They are unnecessary for my dogs. Those collars are more specific to the PointeyNosed Crew.. aka Greyhounds and the like.

If I was going to put a beaded collar on my dog/s I would probably just buy the loom and make the bead band myself. LOL

And being of Lakota Sioux and Cree ancestry, it would be authentic ;)

Star, if you decide to do some beading or beading with conchos and especially if you do a design for Songdog Kennel/ AIDs I would buy from you. I'd rather put my$ in the pocket of a silver smith and/or bead artisan that knows what the symbols mean and gives a living artwork with some soul to me. Plus there's the satisfaction of providing a little success to that artist such that they can continue with the art form.

We have 3 jingle collars from Carpe C. The dogs get excited for them (but they think tractor noises are great fun too). The other collars they offer didn't appeal to me. They seem too wide - just my personal preference, plus I was looking for bells. I've been using the bells on Waki so I know where in the woods he is. He gets a lot of attention as the "Chistmas Dog" with them also.

Beading is very teadious I some of my Indian friend do it and it takes alot of time Star remember those callors we looked at years ago the bone and leather ones I found that company they dont do them any more and they were nice I am trying to get with this lady that can do it but she hard to get a hold of . Yes Bells would drive malachi crazy he couldnt chase the deer LOL :)

I checked out the sites there is some nice ones in there good idea for the gathering

I've done the loom beading before- bracelets, belts, etc..
And I got a screen shot of the collars, and I am maybe going to make one of the leather/silver/ponybead type. :D

Star, if you decide to do some beading or beading with conchos and especially if you do a design for Songdog Kennel/ AIDs I would buy from you. I'd rather put my$ in the pocket of a silver smith and/or bead artisan that knows what the symbols mean and gives a living artwork with some soul to me. Plus there's the satisfaction of providing a little success to that artist such that they can continue with the art form.

Count me in for an order of 2 as well......that would be so cool. :)

Oh man, now I have to buy a beading loom.. lol

And I am already planning on making ones similar to this for special occasions.

JasperFutureCollarSM.jpg

Star that the callor the company does not make any more I my self have someone that can do it if I can get a hold of her I loce these callors

I really like the ring in the front good for hanging medicine bags :) . Star if you make them Im in big time

oh man.

Working 6 days a week, Raising a puppy, the Holidays, and now I get to be Crafty.. gee thanks.. lol

Actually- once things slow down a bit, and I get the calendar done (yeah, that too..) I am planning on getting at my collar project, and when I have it figured out, I'll let ya know. :)

Hell Anna if you can figure those callors out I could sell them big time at pow wows an lone with my dream catchers

OH NO! business adventure LOl

Being the crafty type, being a seasoned SCAdian, and having a love for beads and stones..

I can easily see how that collar goes together and maybe how to make it better - in an engineering/function way.

:)

I'll get back to y'all in a couple-3 weeks, 'k?

Awesome. I'll tell little Waki if he's very good that maybe, just maybe Auntie Star that lives in the magic land of AIDs to the West might make him a collar. I still want a collar from the Navajo beader because the white with black and red will look really good with Waki's markings and Auntie Star still needs to see if she can fit this in but we sure do appreciate even the thought. :rolleyes:

PS I also put a retriever hunting bell "for keeping track of dogs in heavy cover" on Waki. Partially because of his off lead problems earlier this year, partially because I enjoy the sound of a good bell but also for hunting season. Some people think it's a "bear bell" but it's actually a "hunter bell". Worked really good yesterday when we ran into Elmer Fudd and his two small dogs in the woods. It's a strange feeling to know that in season hunters use the state parks here in Michigan. I've been out with walkers, mountain bikers and horses all in the woods together with guys with guns. Most of the ones I meet are seasoned, down to earth and know how to avoid the popular trails for the back corners so I figure they won't accidentally shoot me but every now and then I come upon someone I'd rather not be in the woods with in the middle of the most popular trail - holding a rifle like a boquet of roses. Those are the ones we want to be seen and heard by. Once came across a "city hunter" in brand new head to toe cammo so new it crinkled...smack in the middle of the easy trail a few hundred feet from the parking lot, "hunting".

Being the crafty type, being a seasoned SCAdian, and having a love for beads and stones.. I can easily see how that collar goes together and maybe how to make it better - in an engineering/function way. :) I'll get back to y'all in a couple-3 weeks, 'k?

I will wait patiently but with great anticipation...... :)

PS I also put a retriever hunting bell "for keeping track of dogs in heavy cover" on Waki. Partially because of his off lead problems earlier this year, partially because I enjoy the sound of a good bell but also for hunting season. Some people think it's a "bear bell" but it's actually a "hunter bell". Worked really good yesterday when we ran into Elmer Fudd and his two small dogs in the woods. It's a strange feeling to know that in season hunters use the state parks here in Michigan. I've been out with walkers, mountain bikers and horses all in the woods together with guys with guns. Most of the ones I meet are seasoned, down to earth and know how to avoid the popular trails for the back corners so I figure they won't accidentally shoot me but every now and then I come upon someone I'd rather not be in the woods with in the middle of the most popular trail - holding a rifle like a boquet of roses. Those are the ones we want to be seen and heard by. Once came across a "city hunter" in brand new head to toe cammo so new it crinkled...smack in the middle of the easy trail a few hundred feet from the parking lot, "hunting".

I guess some of these hunters <_>

Yep Waki and I found ourselves under attack by a well manicured, untrained, off lead lap dog the size of a boot (who hunts with that?). It's trying to bite Waki and Waki is doing acrobatics to easily evade and we've got Grandpa with a presumably loaded gun rushing about yelling at his dog to stop that and come over here. Hmmmm. If Grandma wanted everyone out from under foot for the afternoon did she have to pack them off packing heat? One has to wonder about Grandma's motivation...