Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Well it's 2017 and Coffey is trying something new to help with his excitability and also as pre-help to the little injuries (left shoulder / right front foot) he sustained as a rough and tumble pup:

We are also using Bach Rescue Remedy for Pets as an aid with training.

Coffey needs gets reactive excitable and needs to learn how to calm himself down.

As he learns to focus back on us and starts to calm himself down I give him a treat with the Rescue Remedy on it to help him calm a little more.

I am hoping it will promote faster calming instead of his continuing stubborn challenging.

(He doesn't get leave it means leave it - he thinks it means try, try again! to get to what is exciting him)

We have been training him since a puppy and at about a 1 year old he got reactive and over excitable.

Off to a special class Kelli went to help learn some new tools. The "Grumpy Dog" class.

The different tools do help and I think time will settle him more.

Just don't want him taking bad habits to a new level so we are working on it continuously until we are all worn out - LOL!

One thing I noticed immediately after the 1st acupuncture session ....... 1. Acupuncture is RELAXING.jpg

Heeeee heeeeeee heeeeee - NO WHINING!!!!! Just dreaming!!!!!!!!

The no whining lasted 6 days!

Then we had session (#2) setup for a week later: 2. First needles top of head.jpg

he has around 23 acupuncture needles in him and they keep count because the needles get lost in his fur someplaces! 3. Keep count - they blend in to my fur.jpg

He had some stimulation on some of the points, that's why one fell out.

He did pretty good not moving around for a bit ..... 4. direct trigger points - oops dropped one.jpg

The Vet said that in the future she can use the needles with a little saline so the saline bubble stays longer like a pressure point being activated.

That might be better in some places - like energy balancing spots. The stimulation is for movement / increase flow around his boo boo parts.

OK. This pic is JUST BECAUSE ...... I had never seen him pass out in my car before!!!!!! Sweet dreams Little Guy!!!!! :D5. Wow - dreaming and no more whining in car.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for posting about the acupuncture, Denise. I've had success with acupuncture for myself, and yes after the treatments I was frequently nice and relaxed, "balanced." Our vet does acupuncture also, and we may need it for Kaposia. She can be verry skittish under some circumstances. The latest incident was a power outage with several surges and a big BZZZZZZZAP! from the TV. Ever since, she is seriously afraid of the hum of the fluorescent lights under the kitchen cabinets. To the point when they are on she doesn't want to come in from outside, or eat her food, which is in the kitchen. Literally shakes like a leaf and keeps ringing the bell to go outside to escape that humming noise, and then doesn't want to come in. When she was a pup, she was afraid of the sound of the convection fan in the oven, we had worked past that, and now this happens.

• Like 1

There is something called a whole house surge protector that can be installed on your electrical panel. We had a guy in to fix our washing machine and he mentioned that modern appliances are much more sensitive to surges than in the past due to the programming components and touch screens vs the old days when there wasn't any of that. We put our TV and computer on surge protectors but still haven't gotten around to doing anything for the appliances. Go figure. Hopefully over time Kaposia will get past the fear of electronic humming. Waki and Cake use to be afraid of rolling trash barrels. Waki will now help go get them and Cake can walk on lead in the general vicinity of said monsters w/o panic as long as there is about 20 ft of distance from the monster parade and she can cast a suspicious evil eye upon them.

• Like 2

Ah yes, those darned unexplored, unexplainable noises. Poor doggies!!! Wyot hates Mr. Vacuum...runs straight to his crate when he sees him come out (to clean his messes, of course, lol!)..BUT- as I keep vacuuming, his curiosity gets the best of him, and the fact that it doesn't affect me, probably helps.He than runs past it quickly, giving it the "eye"...he plays with his toys, with a careful watch on Mr. Vacuum, and if it comes nearer, he now pounces, but not too close, and then runs and stops to watch it go back and forth. This is an improvement over the truly anxious, scared reaction he had at first , with a refusal to come out of the crate, and that look of pleading for it to go away.

• Like 5

Well it's 2017 and Coffey is trying something new to help with his excitability and also as pre-help to the little injuries (left shoulder / right front foot) he sustained as a rough and tumble pup:

We are also using Bach Rescue Remedy for Pets as an aid with training.

Coffey needs gets reactive excitable and needs to learn how to calm himself down.

As he learns to focus back on us and starts to calm himself down I give him a treat with the Rescue Remedy on it to help him calm a little more.

I am hoping it will promote faster calming instead of his continuing stubborn challenging.

(He doesn't get leave it means leave it - he thinks it means try, try again! to get to what is exciting him)

We have been training him since a puppy and at about a 1 year old he got reactive and over excitable.

Off to a special class Kelli went to help learn some new tools. The "Grumpy Dog" class.

The different tools do help and I think time will settle him more.

Just don't want him taking bad habits to a new level so we are working on it continuously until we are all worn out - LOL!

One thing I noticed immediately after the 1st acupuncture session ....... http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif1. Acupuncture is RELAXING.jpg

Heeeee heeeeeee heeeeee - NO WHINING!!!!! Just dreaming!!!!!!!!

The no whining lasted 6 days!

Then we had session (#2) setup for a week later: http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif2. First needles top of head.jpg

he has around 23 acupuncture needles in him and they keep count because the needles get lost in his fur someplaces! http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif3. Keep count - they blend in to my fur.jpg

He had some stimulation on some of the points, that's why one fell out.

He did pretty good not moving around for a bit ..... http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif4. direct trigger points - oops dropped one.jpg

The Vet said that in the future she can use the needles with a little saline so the saline bubble stays longer like a pressure point being activated.

That might be better in some places - like energy balancing spots. The stimulation is for movement / increase flow around his boo boo parts.

OK. This pic is JUST BECAUSE ...... I had never seen him pass out in my car before!!!!!! Sweet dreams Little Guy!!!!! :Dhttp://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif5. Wow - dreaming and no more whining in car.jpg

This all sounds so interesting, and being the wife of a chiropractor, I am more intrigued, and went digging for information, as well as what we both have knowledge of in the nutrition field ( I am a self taught herbalislt of over 25 years). Diet has a LOT to do with how a person reacts (ie. depression, anger, insomnia, lethargy, etc.), and how a person gets "sick". Illness is just a manifestation of toxins (from food, daily use of cosmetics- shampoos, body lotions, synthetic perfumes, etc.) trying to get OUT of the body, and they affect the organs, depending on the toxin, time of year, foods ingested, and so on. Being "sick" is actually the way we get rid of what is ailing us, and unfortunately, we have little patience to wait out this natural way to get well, and we try to stop the symptoms with "medicine"! Our pets are also extremely affected by all this, and excitability is sometimes related to diet. Kidneys are the main organs that can trigger anxiety, agression and/or excitability (beyond the norm puppy type). There are many foods we can add to their diets to help the kidneys along, and to keep their immune systems strong.

I have tested the accupressure point on Wyot, right between the eyes (just a tad above, really) to calm and center his attention. It does work... You can look up accupressure points you can do yourself to help Coffey, and there is an interesting thing called the Five-Element Theory that will help explain all this further. Here is a link for starters, to explain what I mentioned above. http://animalwellnessmagazine.com/five-element-theory-dogs/ . All of this ties in to the accupuncture, and bach rescue remedy you have been using. I myself will be researching the different seasons and feed Wyot accordingly. Apparently, organ meats will help the kidneys, as will certain cooked veggies (cooked, because it helps to break down the cellulose in the veggies, which dogs find hard to digest). If you feed raw foods, it should be broken down by a blender (I love my Vitamix for this), so the cellulose is not hard on the dog's digestive system.

Sorry for going on and on, lol! I am passionate about natural living and treating things as naturally as possible. I know nature provides everything we need, but modern life makes for thinking we "need" everything they sell out there. You may already know most of this stuff...and I like to help educate as much as I can, making for less pain and toil for us and our animal family. :)

PS- something many don't think about: Wireless technology is in our homes (I would think very few don't have this), and it affects us and our health more than we know. Dogs and cats are more sensitive to those electronic unnatural energies, and that may affect them as well.

• Like 3

OMG he's so cute!

Yes! Thanks, (Kelli says thanks, too! ) :wub:

He's a little guy, almost 36 lbs. wet :P

It's funny, I heard so much about the girl puppies being 2 dimensional until they finish growing and the male puppies growing out and up at the same time. NOT this one!!!!!! :blink:

I'm wondering if he will start to fill out sometime between 2 yrs & 4 yrs. It's OK if he doesn't, just wondering .....

Tayamni filled out just before 2 yrs old. B)

Lakegirl, I hope Kaposia gets over it in time.

Tayamni has very sensitive hearing it seems and some noises inside send her to shaking ... spraying the compressed air can indoors sends her to shaking and she will shake again and again every time she is in the same area.

We got over that by teaching her tricks and giving treats every time she did them correct. It got her out of her head and it took about 5 weeks for us to get over it (mostly).

She still doesn't like the sound of staplers, will leave the room and not come back for a while after I've stopped stapling papers.

Sherab, we walk on leash next to grocery carts, watch the rolling trash cans go tot the curb wit interest, walk next to walkers and wheel chairs, BUT the multifunction copier at work is EVIL INCARNATE and she will not walk into the accounting office and to my cubicle because of it. (It's the sound of the finisher making it's noises and hence not liking the stapler even at home).

She hides in the plan room when I bring her to work on weekends and will stick her head in the accounting room door t look at me when she is ready to go home or has to go out. I just haven't been able to get her comfortable around that noise. She doesn't like gun shot noises either. Ok with Thunder and fireworks as long as she can't see and hear the fireworks.

Kittyndoc,

we didn't have a vacuum cleaner when Tayamni was a pup (used swifter a nd broom - no carpets). Got a vacuum cleaner finally got tired of cat hair in corners..... Tayamni has no issue with it at all. However she has started the nervous shaking when we vacuum pack meat to freeze. So, we just let her outside in the back yard then. I really think she has very sensitive hearing and certain sound frequencies affect her more than others.

I'm glad that Wyot is making progress with the vacuum cleaner. Yes, I believe your body language and attitude are part of the reason he is coming around to it!

• Like 2

kittyndoc,

interesting article. I wish it talked about all five elements. Will have to look that up.

both dogs are on the same food. Their personalities are different. Food for thought! :)

• Like 1

Yes, the five elements are SO very interesting, and make lots of sense....sorry it wasn't complete in the article. I had read it in my book, and found something on the iternet, and was too quick to post without reading through the whole thing...My very helpful book (which I got for 25 cents at goodwill!) is called "Holistic guide for a healthy dog"- by Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown,DVM, It has great illustrations of points for accupressure, etc. I would have bought it at full price, too. Yes, lots of food for thought.... :)

• Like 3

Sounds like a good book.

I will look into it, because I like Whole-istic options and also Coffey is not fear based reactive - it is excitement reactive. He sees a dog walking up the street he wants to go play with it.

I think it has to do with prey drive instincts but he doesn't go in for the kill, he goes in for play/rough play that matches his excitement level. He also greets by still excitedly approaching a dog in the face and puppy licking. We are trying to teach him how to calm himself and approach from the side - not face on.

Kittyndoc, I read in your help post that kidney organ related to fear emotion. Coffey is not coming from fear.

It's funny Tayamni speaks dog language so well. Maybe Coffey is just a late bloomer. He knows and does the cues but when he gets excited he forgets.

I would attribute it to the season's they were born but there are so many pups with different personalities born in the same season, I just can't go with that.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good book.

I will look into it, because I like Whole-istic options and also Coffey is not fear based reactive - it is excitement reactive. He sees a dog walking up the street he wants to go play with it.

I think it has to do with prey drive instincts but he doesn't go in for the kill, he goes in for play/rough play that matches his excitement level. He also greets by still excitedly approaching a dog in the face and puppy licking. We are trying to teach him how to calm himself and approach from the side - not face on.

Kittyndoc, I read in your help post that kidney organ related to fear emotion. Coffey is not coming from fear.

It's funny Tayamni speaks dog language so well. Maybe Coffey is just a late bloomer. He knows and does the cues but when he gets excited he forgets.

I would attribute it to the season's they were born but there are so many pups with different personalities born in the same season, I just can't go with that.

Wyot is an excitable pup and he sometimes gets so overexcited that he growls at me (or other dogs), head and paws down, but tail wagging- then pounces, runs and runs and tears up around two rooms (or around the dog) like a maniac, lol! I let him do it (and if the other dog is submissive and lets him), and if he continues to try and jump and bite at my clothes , I just turn my back, ignore and walk away, letting him calm himself...or I try to hover over him, not saying anything at all, just giving him a "look" (much like I gave my kids when they behaved innappropriately), letting him know I'm the boss. (with other dogs, I take him away from the situation, and give him a "time out" so to speak. It works for him. He lays down at my feet and whines, putting his face in between his paws, giving a "pupology" (apology!) Different things work for different pups and their families. Many ways to skin a cat ..er..pup. :P

I gave those two organs liver and kidney) as examples, but it goes much deeper than that, and many other things and imbalances come from those and other organs. A good book would be a help on that specific subject in depth, I think. If I find one, I will let you know. I also did not mean to ascribe anything specific to Coffey...if I did, I apologize. :huh:

• Like 1

No problem, :) It explained itself in an earlier post when you said you didn't realize that internet link focused on one aspect.

I was just in general making a statement about Coffey, someday there may be a future reader of this topic ......

We've done that also, the training tips you shared about Wyot. That worked with Tayamni but Coffey just must be really hard headed - LOL! Oh yes, the word is tenacious - geez I've been described that way .... hmmmm .... :P

Thanks for the input you've given so far.

If you do think of any other info that might help or another book. please do let me know! ^_^

That's one of the things I like about this forum - we get to share ideas and experiences!!!!

(and of course cute puppy and grown up pics!)

• Like 1

Kittydoc keep us posted on foods. Or recipes :). We just did watercress & turmeric root in a crock pot with chicken bones to make a nice broth. I really think proper broths are so easy to make and so under utilized. Many goodies are fat soluble, water soluble or alcohol soluble so a good broth with water, wine (or beer) and fat makes an excellent extraction. Plus all the collogen and joint supporting goodies from the cartilage that breaks down during the cooking.

• Like 3

Kittydoc keep us posted on foods. Or recipes :). We just did watercress & turmeric root in a crock pot with chicken bones to make a nice broth. I really think proper broths are so easy to make and so under utilized. Many goodies are fat soluble, water soluble or alcohol soluble so a good broth with water, wine (or beer) and fat makes an excellent extraction. Plus all the collogen and joint supporting goodies from the cartilage that breaks down during the cooking.

Will do...making a nice broth like that sounds wonderful, and a good idea. I rotate herbs in Wyot's food- turmeric, garlic, nettles, dandelion root- just to name a few. Love to hear others ideas! :)

• Like 1

It's funny I have a sensitive gut and so does Tayamni. Also we both have reactions to turmeric. There are spices I can eat so I'm sure there are some she can too.

Bone broth's are the best - for us too!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Hi All!

Coffey just had his 3rd of 7 treatments.

Not sure the calming points are having the effect we were hoping.

GREAT NEWS is that Coffey is able to run around more before his shoulder gets tired.

Also when he limps a bit it is NOT as pronounced!!!!!!!! :D

I'm thinking it is hard to accomplish the two objectives at once....

Helping the (puppy injury) stretched cartilage on shoulder: acupuncture using electrodes on shoulder (1).jpg

(using electrode machine thing) acupuncture using electrodes on shoulder (2).jpg

Hello - is this thing ON.jpg "Hello? Is this thing on????"

"Mike Check - 1, 2, 3 ..." Mike Check 1 2 3.jpg

The MASSAGE is NEXT ... right.jpg "The massage is next, RIGHT?!"

Vet placing acupuncture needles with saline water drops (calming areas):

Vet placing acupuncture with water drops (1).jpg

• Like 1