Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Our Pup Is Home!

After much excitement and anticipation, we picked up our little one at the airport last night!

He is SO handsome, a black and tan male from Cree and Jay Silver Heels. He was calmly apprehensive when we lifted him out of the crate...poor guy was in limbo somewhere at the airport, almost an hour and a half after the plane landed! We were slightly anxious, and kept asking for updates and what was taking so long...when finally, there he was. :)

Left the airport at 9 pm, to an over two hour drive home...there was no place clean to let him relieve himself, but that didn't seem to be a problem. After trying (obviously he did NOT like the concrete at the airport, and there was no grassy area), he settled in the car on my lap and calmly took to us. He nuzzled, poked at my arms and face gently, and took a bit of water. First rest area we hit (about a half hour into the trip home), I took him out, and he promptly found a place to do his business. The rest of the trip was a slowly arising curiosity of his surroundings and us, the smells, and of course, those tiny little needle teeth, lol!!! I had a chewy bone at the ready, so every time he wanted to bite fingers, I'd gently nudge him to the bone, and then he went at it...until he tired and went to sleep, head and one paw over my arm. This pattern continued until we got home.

Once home, he followed us wherever we went, thenwatching as I made a cozy corner for his crate (perfect spot where he can see into the kitchen, and into the living room). He at a little food, and slurped his water (I'm sure the plane ride dehydrated him a bit). Took him outside, where he perked up, tail wagging and happily following me around. I think he felt at home in nature again...it was familiar to him! Went and did his business, and then went into the crate for the night as we went to bed....whining began, and amazingly, when he knew no one was responding (I did go down once, just to make sure he knew I was aware- I told him to sleep), it took five minutes for him to pass out! An hour later, he was complaining again, and I went and took him out, then back into the crate after five minutes of hanging with him. The whining, then silence and sleep after five minutes....I only got up twice more -once two hours later - 4 am, and then he slept straight through to 7:30!!!!!

He is adjusting beautifully, and we can see what fast learners AI dogs are...he already sits (well, with a bit of help, but he stays seated longer than I'd imagined he would).

We are loving every minute of this, and know how short a time they stay a puppy. I am the one getting up with him, so I am sleep deprived and feeling like I've had 10 cups of coffee... wired/tired, but enjoying!!! Every day will be a new adventure, and we are looking forward to it.

I've tried taking pictures, but as Greg said, they move a LOT, so mostly blurry at the moment. Got a few good stills, but need to upload them and figure out how to post. We haven't got a name for him yet...but if we don't come up with something soon, I think he will think his name is "good boy"!!!! :P

• Like 9

Going to pick my puppy up in two hours! Reading your story helps prepare me for the night we have ahead of us. I have three small children with zero clue who I am bringing home from the airport. They may be awoken throughout the night so we will all be skipping school tomorrow!

• Like 4

Going to pick my puppy up in two hours! Reading your story helps prepare me for the night we have ahead of us. I have three small children with zero clue who I am bringing home from the airport. They may be awoken throughout the night so we will all be skipping school tomorrow!

Ohhhh!!! Have fun! Enjoy, and yes, be prepared for a fourth child thrown in the mix. :);) It's probably a good idea to skip school tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear of your adventures!

• Like 1

So exciting! Happy for you! The love will only grow from here on as your pup finds his place in your pack!

Oh YES!!!!! :wub::wub:

• Like 2

KitynDoc (and sheeshsmith too)

Congratulations and I still remember the "new mommy syndrome" with the first AI pup! :wub:

It's a joy to read the excitement, exhaustion and all the magic in between :lol:

I never get tired of it!

THANK YOU!

• Like 2