Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Draco's Adventures

Joan and I have found a nice walk, even in the rain -- which it has been doing more than its fair share of recently here in Seattle.

St. Edwards Park has a few miles of trails; a healthy portion of which prohibit bicycles. So, it's just people and a few dogs.

A least one of the circuits travels under the deep cover of towering Douglas Fir and other local trees and shrubbery. The trail actually stays remarkably dry (or should I say "remarkably less-wet-than-one-might-think"?).

The trails all lead down to the eastern shore of Lake Washington and back. Though there are no real "beach" access areas, there is one spot big enough to have some easier access for the dogs. It's way too cold in the air and water for me to swim and I grew up swimming in cold water in the NorthWest.

But, Draco surprised us. This was our third or fourth walk down to the lake. Draco had waded up to his ankles, but this time, he took a running leap and was going to jump full bodied into the lake. However, Joan was at the other end of the leash and he pulled back.

Loving to swim, I'm looking forward to warmer weather so my fur-less body will feel like getting into the water with him!

Draco_in_Lake___Small.jpg

On the way down, we passed a log that we had passed several times before. This time it looked like it had been rocked loose from being embedded six or eight inches in the rain softened mud.

Draco was acting very normal, a bounce in his step, his nose in the air. Suddenly, he stops. He slowly pulls over toward the log and, suddenly, like his nose got thwacked, he jerked his head back. He quickly backed up a few steps then slowly approached. He reached a certain point and stopped cold. This time, he kind of went into a "shy" or "cautious" (not exactly submissive) body position and looked up at Joan like "we don't want to look under there".

Draco__s_Log.jpg

We didn't look under there! Though I saw no overt "signs" or scat to identify anything, but, to me, the log looked like it could have been roughed up by a bear. What else might have moved that big of a chunk? It didn't look possible for something to be "under" the log, so I think it had to do with whoever or whatever did the moving.

Back at our house, our fence is done (with a few minor finishing touches that have nothing to do with it's basic security). So, we are more comfortable with Draco being outside with a little bit of autonomy.

He's becoming more and more comfortable with all the sights, sounds and smells of our neighborhood. One of his big things is to Watch. (It means "pull over, stop, sit down, watch". We do this whenever we meet a person or a dog on the trail.) (We switched to "Watch" from "Leave it" when a person look offended at being called an "it"! :rolleyes: Now, he's just watching.)

This is Draco watching...

Draco_Watches___Small.jpg

This is what he looks like now from in front while he's watching.

Draco_Portrait_2___Small.jpg

Joan and I both have really enjoyed feeding and having crows around. We like them. We thought that having a dog, especially this one, would mean the crows would stop coming around. On the contrary, the crows have been coming in much, much closer. We've seen Draco and a crow on the ground less than 15 feet from each other just, you guessed it, watching.

~~~~

So, the report is: most basic commands are now learned behavior. (He's still less than 100 days old, so I'm not too upset that he isn't consistent yet because I know he knows.)

He is still working on "hanging loose" -- walking (either "heal" or "free walk") with a loose leash.

He is still working on his "come", though this is way up the scale in this successful commands. (But, he certainly can looked miffed if we've called him just because and there really isn't any other reason we've used his name.)

He is still working on his "nipping". Every once in awhile, he gets so wound up because he either has to poop or sleep that he becomes a bit overly frenetic. If either Joan or I try to be physically handling him at this time, there is a small possibility that he might try to nip. (Because of this we are extremely careful around other people and, especially, children. Though, he almost always approaches children in the puppy submissive posture -- before he jumps up! More work to be done there.)

He may be over the house training thing. A week and a half ago, he had a couple of "accidents", so we can't say he's gone two weeks or a month yet. But, these accidents actually seemed deliberate. One time he "knocked" on the door to get out and then, looking at me, ran over an peed on the floor! He did the same to Joan later. We're sure he was trying to tell us something, we just don't know what. We must have done OK, because we haven't had any more of those events.

This is getting long -- sorry.

We've decided to switch vets already. We've been three times and each time we have less and less of a good experience. None of the staff even know our names yet and certainly do nothing in the name of customer service to inspire us to come back. Not even a smiling "hello" when we come in. And, this is the Good Thing about them!!

The vet seems that he is tired of working with people and pets. So, are we surprised that Draco doesn't respond well to him? No, especially, when the Doc keeps chastising us for Draco's behavior even though he says he is advanced for a 3 month old pup!!??!!

We've gotten some good references. Anyone from on this forum from Seattle with any good references? (Thanks, Allison, for yours.)

This had better be enough for today.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We didn't look under there! Though I saw no overt "signs" or scat to identify anything, but, to me, the log looked like it could have been roughed up by a bear. What else might have moved that big of a chunk? It didn't look possible for something to be "under" the log, so I think it had to do with whoever or whatever did the moving.

Gib, welcome to another fun thing about the AID.

I guarantee it was the LOG, and just the log. Something about it just hit him weird. It had moved, and he wasn't expecting that. With Danza, it is large white things. Propane tanks, wastebaskets, the vacuum cleaner, white trash bags....you get the idea. It's other things, too, but that's the main thing. They spook easily, at least some of them.

Hi Gib, what a great looking pup you have there. Sounds like he is coming along really well with the training. We haven't been as diligent. I wouldn't worry about the nipping. Lola was horrible with the nipping, and then grew out of it (about 4 1/2 months). Severe reprimand every time she did it probably helped too.

Sounds like switching vets is the call. We did the same. Our last vet was actually really great. It was a "holistic clinic" that used groovy products and so on. They have two other AIdog patients, and they are really into the breed. the problem arose when Lola was exhibiting symptoms of salmon poisoning. For three days, I called, and the office staff blew me off. Finally, when she became really sick, they said they were too busy, so I went to another vet who dealt with the salmon poisoning very well. Good thing too. The "groovy" vet quoted $500 for the spay. We paid $200 and our new vet.

WOW Flash Back for me I cant believe how mush draco remeinds me o fmy Malachi Draco has a white strip down his nose Mal has a dark one I like th e stripe down his back he is a handsome guy

its so much fun watching these dogs grow everyday is an adventure even at 7 months never stops changing

It sounds like you are having a lot of fun with him. He's a lucky boy.

Maybe something recently marked that log. Both our boys went right to the tree where the bear scratches his back. They don't have those big noses for nothing.

Hey Gib did you ever look into a 10-20 ft leash it helps when he want s to wonder a little or jump in the water also helps with training the come comand and others it gives him a feel a freedom and this way jian wint be tugged so much when walking

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update. Great.

~~~~

More detail...

Draco has grown in the just under two months he's been with us.

Draco_Climbing_Compare.jpg

It took a bit of time to try to get the two images the same size -- they are close enough to be able to tell how much he's grown.

Last night, after a beautiful weekend in Seattle, Draco joined us on our deck chairs. Joan went into the kitchen to fix his dinner, leaving him happily chewing on a bone.

It didn't take too long for him to hear what she was doing.

Did_I_hear_my_dinner_being_prepared.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, both of Draco's ears had stood straight up. Middle of last week, his right ear has taken to be a little floppy. More changes all the time, eh?

For those in the Seattle area. (Sssshhh. don't tell anyone!) We've found a beautiful little park near us called Wallace Swamp Creek Park. It's almost 20 acres, has several places where dogs can access the creek. It has some very nice paved walking areas and, once it dries out a bit, some nice, more woodsy natural trails. The first time I went there, the first three dogs (the only dogs I saw), were off leash. I asked the third person and he agreed that as long as the dog is very socialized and easy to be with people and dogs, everyone welcomes them off leash!!

A woman we met last weekend said it's been that way for a long, long time and she's lived next door for 20 years!

OK. It is a "city" creek, so I actually question the cleanliness of the water, but all we've spoken to have said they've never heard of a problem for dogs. In fact, there are a couple of places where, evidently, people have been known to go swimming in the water. (I probably wouldn't.)

But, for a nice hour or more meander through tall trees, grass and water features -- it's a nice, nice place.

OK, I'm at work and I better go do some. Great day to you all.

Great Photo! Brilliant adaptation. Greg Pearlman doesn't know how much he's inspired us. ( See Dog of the Month, Jan. 2010, Rama.)

I'm determined to try. It'll have to be something like 5 months to 2 years.

Sounds like a good life. You lucky dogs...

That's pretty close to me. I got lucky and a new system of trails, the Paradise Valley Conservation Area, opened less than a mile from my house last year. But Marymoor is only 20 minutes away, and that is, of course, dog heaven. Roscoe is too old to really dig it these days but Danza goes insane. She is nothing but a blur for over an hour. Roscoe stays sort of near me and sniffs stuff and wags his tail the whole time.

That's pretty close to me. I got lucky and a new system of trails, the Paradise Valley Conservation Area, opened less than a mile from my house last year. But Marymoor is only 20 minutes away, and that is, of course, dog heaven. Roscoe is too old to really dig it these days but Danza goes insane. She is nothing but a blur for over an hour. Roscoe stays sort of near me and sniffs stuff and wags his tail the whole time.

Paradise Valley sounds interesting, it's just 10 miles from us in Lynnwood.

We talked about trying Marymoor. It sounds excellent -- and it is that safe to let the dogs free?

As always, it depends on the dog, but it is a huge area, with some river front, and separate fields, with varying terrains. You can stroll along the path and let your dog feel that he has run very far away, and yet, there you are coming round the bend. It really is dog heaven.

There are some places that a "fence runner" could find to escape, but there is so much else to see and just plain space, that the fence is invisible, and rarely an issue.

Karen, you are probably surprised that I know it so well.

Gibb Wow they do grow fast and change every day even with Malachi 7months I still see amazing changes in him and Draco in the one pic looks just like him check oput some of my pics I cant believe it they are amazing aren they

Draco has such striking markings....what a handsome guy. Those pictures you took of him on the log at different ages are very clever, especially with the same pose and all. You ARE good! Carry on! :( :( :)

Paradise Valley sounds interesting, it's just 10 miles from us in Lynnwood.

We talked about trying Marymoor. It sounds excellent -- and it is that safe to let the dogs free?

The only thing that I've ever been concerned about at Marymoor is dogs that were not under control of their owners when they should have been. I do worry about aggressive dogs there sometimes, and don't go on the weekends, when the odds of unskilled handlers go way up. Weekdays are great, especially in the mornings when the dogwalkers are there with their packs. Weekends you get a lot of people who don't know how to pay attention to what is going on around them, read their dogs, you get dogs that have been cooped up all week and aren't well trained - you get the idea.

I started taking Danza there as soon as she was old enough to be in public. Since she is a "runner", I'm glad I did; she got used to the borders before her fearlessness kicked in. I still have to use the tennis ball to rein her in at the end, but that's OK. She knows the arrangement.

Greetings everyone.

Well, last night was Draco's Graduation from Basic Obedience training!

We did some research and found: http://www.pawswithnoflaws.com/. They also have a FaceBook site. Anna Bolick has been coming to our house for a series of trainings.

Anna is a local trainer with a lot of local awards and media recognition. She's been great. She started slowly and with great patience. She built up the language and the actions slowly. She was able to recognize any shortcomings and emphasize ways to correct or improve. She has been direct in her feedback and kind and abundant in her praise. She's done a very excelent job -- with Joan and I! :(

And, she also did a wonerfull job with Draco. So, why is he the only one getting a diploma!!??!!

Draco__s_Diploma.jpg

We've got a nice list of tasks to continue working with:

Come, Sit-Stay, Down-Stay, Search, Watch. And, many more

We had a little issue with the Vet and Draco is simply not calm with him. (We are switching Vets after tonight.) So, I'm working on a Submit command. I worked last weekend on it. In the middle of almost any activity, I can now lay Draco down on his side (he won't quite do this first part on his own yet), put him in the submission postion and whisper "Submit". At first it was difficult and now, he quickly takes a deep breath, sighs and relaxes. I barely have to hold him now.

We'll see how it goes with the Vet tonight!!

The biting has all but stopped. But, we have lots and lots of leash training to do. It's mostly good but needs lots more work to be easy.

More later.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Draco (and his 3 siblings) is 4 months old tomorrow.

Already a lifetime of changes in just the two months he has been with us.

We've got a couple of long time friends and relatives with dogs, so we've had a couple of play dates.

I haven't taken enough pictures... but I got one of Sadie & Draco playing tug-o-war.

Sadie___Draco.jpg

Our nephew, Chris, has a dog we long thought might have some convergence of DNA somewhere back along the way. The dog's name is Gir. (Pronounced: grrrrrr).

Gir___Draco_Small.jpg

Gir___Draco_Small_3.jpg

Gir___Draco_Small_4.jpg

Someone suggested Gir may have a lot of McNab in him. In any case, they could tell they were cousins of sorts and pretty much wore each other out.

We knew Draco was fast and smart, but Gir had much to teach the pup.

Humbled and exhausted Draco slept good these nights!! (And, thus, so did we!)

Hey, is Draco going to have tepee ears? If so, very cool. It looks like he might. And, McNabs are awesome.

Hey, is Draco going to have tepee ears? If so, very cool. It looks like he might. And, McNabs are awesome.

Draco's ears had been like that for a while. Then, one day, pop and they were up and so adult looking!

On day, one ear had kind of "flopped", then the other. And, now, he's back to "tepee ears"!!??!!

What a hoot....

Gib Its great when they have a play mate it helps ware them out besides its fun to watch them teepee ears :lol: Malachi had one that bent sideways I did not know if it ever would straighten up but one day pop

Draco's ears had been like that for a while. Then, one day, pop and they were up and so adult looking!

On day, one ear had kind of "flopped", then the other. And, now, he's back to "tepee ears"!!??!!

What a hoot....

Kim says, more calcium to help the ears. Congrats on the diploma!

Kim says, more calcium to help the ears. Congrats on the diploma!

More calcium. Will do.

It will probably help the big goose-egg Draco has over his right eye this morning!

There's a stretch of flat ground next to the fence at the bottom of the hill that Draco loves to race back and forth on; gives him (and us) tremendous pleasure.

Except last night. Draco was speeding back and forth and apparently didn't see the garden rake leaning against the fence and ran right into it. That's a kind of sickening "thunk" sound I now have in my memory banks forerver! Thunk!

A few hours later his right eye was swollen almost shut. I tried to take a couple of pictures but I don't think they turned out. I'll check later and post if they did.

So, one thing is certain, at this point in Draco's life he doesn't like being held down so eye drops can be administered by a Vet! Wow, he really doesn't like it!!

His energy levels are up and Draco is showing no signs of any other "damage" than the goose-egg!!

Poor guy! Once when Coyo was his age, I took him to the dog park, and he was racing around, and ran right into a tree. I know the "thunk" of which you speak.

Thank goodness, their heads are so hard. If you haven't been head-butted yet, just wait.

When Tolinka T boned an olive tree sapling, the whole thing bent over in a "U" shape. He was hauling bottom. No thunk, but my first thought was, is something wrong with his eyesight? I mean it's not like the tree sprouted legs and moved on him. It had been there all year. I think that sometimes they are just moving so fast and are so intent on what they are after, that things standing still turn into a blurrrrrrr for them. Maybe their peripheral vision is not sharp. Does anyone know????? :lol:

Our Bouvier, who had a head like a bowling ball, was chasing a squirrel into a hedge and ran head-first, full-bore into the brick wall behind the hedge. I was about three houses down the street and will never forget the sound.

As far as I could tell, he was fine. They are amazing dogs. They herd cattle by running up their back legs and biting them without thinking twice. And, paradoxally, they are very smart. For dogs.

And, paradoxally, they are very smart. For dogs.

Hahahaha! Very funny.

I know with Coyo, it is as you said, he was looking at what he was chasing or matching pace with, and not looking where he was going.