Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting.

Hi Denise,

His name is Lucky. He was "singing" in this picture, aroooo'ing, although he looked like he was blowing a kiss (another friend pointed this out too.) He was a good talker too. I chose my screen name because he was always saying "mom-mom-mom-mom" :lol: We lost our baby in August to Cushing's disease, where the adrenal gland produces too much adrenaline and overdrives the body, but we had such a wonderful 13.5 years. We spent all his life looking for, as it turns out, Kim, trying to find out what breed Lucky was. Through a weird coincidence (which I don't beileve in anymore,) a vet assistant told us to look on Facebook, which led us here. If you look at pictures of Jake (for example) and pictures of Lucky, it's unmistakeable how similar they are! We had chills and goosebumps all over.

And we've been on the puppy list ever since. ^_^ Thank you Kim for all your kindness and correspondence back and forth.

a few pictures for you..

KingLuck.JPG

aroooo.JPG

• Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you so much for your kind words about the forum community. It has been a labor of many people over many years, and it really makes us happy to see that it is useful. I remember trying to expla

Some ways to savor the wait: 1) It makes time go more slowly. So it's like getting MORE time. 2) No dark o'clock minus negative and snowing puppy poop time because it's STILL SNOWING. Only sleep for

Please note: Please, Kim has been over loaded with emails, about 5 per day, from our excited, eager, prospective AIdog companions.....   We all know how difficult it is to plan for the summer va

Posted Images

#9 During mud season (now in Michigan) you won't come home to a mud covered dirt sponge that is shaped like a dog and need to plot how to get the dog into the shower w/o leaving a trail that will need cleaning.

• Like 3

#10 The unabashed pleasure derived by wading into every imaginable size puddle of brackish or otherwise less than desirable water from either melting snow or recent rain activity.

#11 The relentless joy that comes with flitting across the sidewalk to catch the last 2.36 feet of mud because, well, because it's there and it must be trod upon.

#12 The overwhelming ecstasy of a regular walk in a decidedly more friendly weather related environment compared to recent weeks.

#13 The momentary confusion brought about by a scent casually deposited on the breeze which catches her attention for fraction of a second.

#14 A crusty, gnarled, spent leaf from last season that crosses her path that appears for a moment to be a sentient being of terrible intent that must be destroyed forthwith.

#15 The, "What? Were you calling me? No? Okay, that's okay..."

• Like 1

#14...hahaha.

#16 Watching the intense expression on his face as he figures how to open gates for the first time, that turns into a bit of a smile when he makes a dash for freedom.

#17 Watching two pups get all hackelie, tails high, barking with balls in their mouths, prancing around, then racing back an forth through the gardens, when only one dog knows why they are doing this and the other goes along for the exciting ride.

• Like 1

#18: smiling as your 'kids' collapse, at the end of a busy/fun day, in a tired cuddly tangle of legs on the couch next to you. :)

• Like 2

#21 Redefining the meaning of life as, 'Yanno, one can't have too many tennis balls'

#22 The growing unease pertaining to the increased population of geese in the area. Can't you see them? They're everywhere! Look, right there! There's three of 'em! We must plot their over throw!

#23 Ecstatic joy over 'chicken leg night'.

#24 Hey! These Geese things are mean...you won't let 'em catch me will you alpha?

#25 What? More hugs? Really? I was napping you know?....okay, if you insist.

• Like 2

and the list goes on ... LOL!

I just found out there are doggie beach parks in the county that I live in. WOOOW HOOWWWW - can't wait, can wait, can't wait, can wait ..... dang I haven't even done my taxes yet ... gotta focus on the every day / each day needs ... I won't say which will come first (I still have last years taxes to do) .... :P

#26 Playing ball and watching your pups insist on taking turns. They absolutely won't go out of turn unless the other o.k.'s it. How did they learn that one?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, just read that I have to purchase a permit if I want to take my (dog to be) to a beach in Broward County.

It's hard enough to find parking most of the time!!!! But Beach we will do someday.

How old should a puppy be before introducing to the ocean?

Any different age when introducing to a lake in a dog park?

Majority of books state wait until full immunity (aprrox. 4 mos) to take to a dog park,

while we're waiting ..... any ideas from the already owners?

#27 - Just like children - when they come and 'tug on your pantleg' or just sit so close they sit on your foot while you get dressed in the morning or get undressed for bed, just have a quiet moment. Pet children can be clingy too, or know when you don't feel as well as you normally do, or your mind isn't in quite the normal place. We are there for each other. ^_^

This is all so wonderful to read and share. Thanks to everyone for sharing frustration, impatience, humor, soothing words, and more. I'm much more of a "push the river" type, always have been, except many things have conspired in the last few years to have me become more patient and to see its value. But wow is it hard while waiting for my puppy. Have to admit that #2, the mention of late night bathroom trips which could be in snow, rain, middle of the night with not enough time for needed sleep left: that one got me settled down a bit again. It's been many years since I've had that part of the experience. And to Allison: I'm sure I will be insufferable with sharing the puppy photos once I get mine....I will totally forget that you are having to have a vicarious experience for now re: getting an AI puppy. So I apologize in advance :)

No apologies necessary...we all live for those photos actually!

• Like 1

Please note:

Please, Kim has been over loaded with emails, about 5 per day, from our excited, eager, prospective AIdog companions.....

We all know how difficult it is to plan for the summer vacations, <_ we know because all been there on the edge of your seats style="font-size:10px;">waiting, waiting, WAITING, waiting for that call, a word, anything so I can plan.

So this is YOUR first lesson for YOU to learn YOUR level of patience. There are handfuls of reasons that things happen. Mother nature being one.

QUOTE from Kim

If you are on our AI dog owners forum you will notice that we are behind on the waiting list & trying to catch up, waiting for females to come into season; as the changing weather seems to have effected them … according to normal years past anyway. The cold eastern winter & airline weather holds, we couldn’t ship & the litters now are going to those that had to pass this winter.

So, relax, go ahead and make your plans, have a wonderful spring/ summer and know that the right puppy will be in your home when the right puppy is available. You will have plenty of time to adjust what ever planing needs to be adjusted or made. Meanwhile take a run around the block a couple of times and think of Kim juggling all that he has on his platter. ...pups, horses, grapes, parents in their sunset years, cats, life in general, correspondence, making arrangements for pick ups, matching the right pup to the right family from multiple litters, just to name a few. Personally I don't see where he gets enough time to do all that he has to do. So please be patient.

Sorry for getting on my soap box, but I guess it's that protective instinct I have. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Mol, you make it seem so easy! LOL.

arrgghhhh

• Like 1

Hee, hee, hee,

I'm just looking for puppy pics right now, anybody and every bodies stories and pics!

I need to learn how to forward my home voice mail to my email so I can get it on my phone for most of my annual sabbatical. (Just in case .... better to be prepared and nothing happen than not and miss it all B))

The only reason I'm able to wait patiently is because I CAN'T pick up a puppy until June 19th, (unless I picked it up leaving Texas ^_^).

I went through the panic steps already:

OMG that litter was born earlier than I expected!

OMG what if the puppy match for me IS in that litter and

OMG I can't pickup a pup from airport, then drop it off at my Mom's for three weeks!

OMG the puppy would bond with my Mom and not me!

OMG I can't make my Mom go through that initial housebreaking ... especially with dropping all the other animals on her every year.

OMG what if I'm on the road and I get "the Call" and I'm not home to answer it! (Ahhh, voicemail to email setup will solve that - except for about 8 - 10 days during ceremony).

OMG what if I can pick the puppy up on the way back but all supplies are back at my house ....

OMG WHAT???? that last one didn't make much sense - even to me :blink:

So, I put myself into a sacred circle and prayed to release this chatter.

Coming back to senses, I realized it will all be as it's supposed to be, besides I have ceremony & trip preparations to complete!

All I need to do is take care of what I'm supposed to be doing now :rolleyes: the rest will fall in place.

Ahhh, my one ZEN moment.

But I still would LOVE to see pics!!!!!!!!! puppies, puppies, puppies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

• Like 3

Today it's my turn to vent out my impatience.......AAAAARRRRARARASRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!! I definitely do NOT want to see puppy pics today 'cause I'll get even more impatient and will assuredly get attached to one of the puppies I see and that puppy might be the perfect pup for someone else. Nevermind that I have PLENTY else to do while waiting my turn for my puppy, plenty to focus on to use my energy and attention so I don't have to get impatient, can just keep re-directing myself as if I were 3yo getting into stuff. Whew.

Okay, thanks everyone for listening. That helped me get a little bit centered for today. Whoever is getting their puppies, like those who had been waiting through the winter 'cause pups couldn't be shipped in the bad cold, if you all are getting your pups, would you let us know so we can cheer and know things are moving along? And see your puppy pics? Vicarious experience desired here.....

Going back to the Safe Age question-

Talk to Kim

Talk to your Excellent Veterinarian

Use good judgement - and err on the side of paranoia until such time as previous advisors' time window has passed.

My guys have gone camping as early as 10 weeks, but I am careful and control all surfaces they have contact with, and am a hypochondriac about their health/behavior for about a month following.

Absolutely No Rest Stops! Guaranteed Nasty. Off Beaten path only for potty breaks -safer, less chance of parvo contamination.

I start careful PavementOnly neighborhood walks at 12 weeks or so, but I DoNot let them sniff anything that might be fecal matter, and we only go in bone-dry weather (less foot contamination chance).

Puppy classes start at 16 weeks (all shots) per requirements of instructors.

Places like the beach are usually reserved for 6 mo or older, because they have a much better recall by that age and won't be so fearful of new things. And oftimes hotels require 6mo age to stay.

• Like 1

Hi Deborah,

LOL! It's OK. Venting is allowed in this post (my opinion). :mellow::wacko: It can be healthy to get it out and commiserate.

Just be careful what you wish, no pics of pups? Some one might post a bunch of AID adults for your viewing pleasure!!!! :rolleyes:

I have a cat that used to get lovable when I told her that her puppy was coming and now she just looks at me, well it's more of a stare looking through me. I think she's over it or doesn't believe me - ha ha. Well I also told her it would be after Sundance and that means she has to go visit my Mom for three weeks. She hates having to get into a crate....

So I think that she TOTALLY understands your feelings at the moment.

Don't worry - this too shall pass!!!!

(yes, I live vicariously with my imaginary puppy through others experiences and postings - LOL!) :rolleyes:

I am so glad that Kim does not breed like a puppy mill and I would rather have a waiting list and be matched the way he has learned to do it.

I'm sure you are too, no matter what the frustration of the day! :wub:

I never thought of the increasingly weird weather patterns throwing off - heat cycles - of females. It does make sense, nature wanting to provide the best possible environment for survival of species. Slowing down reproduction could be a balancing act.

It's amazing how one thing really affects another even though we don't always see it in our everyday lives.

(OK, except maybe when we have PUPPY FEVER!!!!) :o

Going back to the Safe Age question- Talk to Kim Talk to your Excellent Veterinarian Use good judgement - and err on the side of paranoia until such time as previous advisors' time window has passed. My guys have gone camping as early as 10 weeks, but I am careful and control all surfaces they have contact with, and am a hypochondriac about their health/behavior for about a month following. Absolutely No Rest Stops! Guaranteed Nasty. Off Beaten path only for potty breaks -safer, less chance of parvo contamination. I start careful PavementOnly neighborhood walks at 12 weeks or so, but I DoNot let them sniff anything that might be fecal matter, and we only go in bone-dry weather (less foot contamination chance). Puppy classes start at 16 weeks (all shots) per requirements of instructors. Places like the beach are usually reserved for 6 mo or older, because they have a much better recall by that age and won't be so fearful of new things. And oftimes hotels require 6mo age to stay.

Starghoti,

Thank you for answering!

I haven't gotten 'the call" yet and have no idea when I will be matched - to my needs.

I put this out so I could get some owner experience/feedback; like your example of beach exposure. Of course I know each dog is different but it helps to hear from all the people who have gone through these steps!!! :rolleyes:

THIS HELPS!!!! :D

Interesting to know about the hotels: I wouldn't have thought about it. ^_^

Once I get "the call" I will (hopefully) remember to ask Kim his recommendations, so I don't go back and go back with more questions.

I have established Vet Office already (cats and sister's dog) I will ask them whenever puppy arrives, during the first "here's my puppy :D" visit.

Once puppy comes, my sister's dog, will have a 4 month hiatus from the dog park. I figure it will give Roger and the puppy bonding time anyway.

(We've got to start training Roger on getting his feet wiped when he comes in the house (or car) after dog park and walks - so this is not a freak out for him when puppy is here).

Animals come through my fenced backyard and sometimes we have other poop to pick up <_ in the morning. can get all holes mended small dogs like to squeeze through and mark. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_wacko.png" alt=":wacko:">

Puppy won't have free run of backyard anyway until ready, My mom has a puppy outdoor pen and I can use that to set up in best area for supervised free play until old enough.

Puppy classes start earlier down here (between 10 - 12 weeks, depending on puppy readiness assessment & must have 2 round of shots - that is a REQUIREMENT). Good thing for all. ;)

Hi Deborah,

LOL! It's OK. Venting is allowed in this post (my opinion). :mellow::wacko: It can be healthy to get it out and commiserate.

Just be careful what you wish, no pics of pups? Some one might post a bunch of AID adults for your viewing pleasure!!!! :rolleyes:

I have a cat that used to get lovable when I told her that her puppy was coming and now she just looks at me, well it's more of a stare looking through me. I think she's over it or doesn't believe me - ha ha. Well I also told her it would be after Sundance and that means she has to go visit my Mom for three weeks. She hates having to get into a crate....

So I think that she TOTALLY understands your feelings at the moment.

Don't worry - this too shall pass!!!!

(yes, I live vicariously with my imaginary puppy through others experiences and postings - LOL!) :rolleyes:

I am so glad that Kim does not breed like a puppy mill and I would rather have a waiting list and be matched the way he has learned to do it.

I'm sure you are too, no matter what the frustration of the day! :wub:

I never thought of the increasingly weird weather patterns throwing off - heat cycles - of females. It does make sense, nature wanting to provide the best possible environment for survival of species. Slowing down reproduction could be a balancing act.

It's amazing how one thing really affects another even though we don't always see it in our everyday lives.

(OK, except maybe when we have PUPPY FEVER!!!!) :o

Yeah, I have to laugh at myself because as soon as I finished writing my temper tantrum, I went right to looking at all the pics of any AI dog I could find. Neo is an absolute charmer, and little Draco (now 4) is beautiful and I have really enjoyed seeing some of the dogs who are the parents of our dogs.

As you say, I totally prefer this way of breeding. Part of why I chose the AI dog is because of the link to more real rhythms of life and ways of being that I value but feel I've become too westernized. To get ready for my dog, I bought a book called Horse Follow Closely from Southwest Indian Foundation. I bought the children's version also. While this is about training horses, not dogs, I've used it to reawaken some of the rhythms of living in me that I'm hoping are in there as deep human memory. I also want to improve on how I trained my other dogs, and figured I should learn a few things of the world in which the dogs were born and raised. I found the book to be restful and useful, helping me shift myself into several different patterns, including being more patient and attuned to the rhythms of life. So this is a remarkable journey, about way more than "just" a dog.

I seem to be ignorant regarding this Parvo thing. From reading y'all's posts, it is a bad virus that puppies are susceptible to. How do I get up to speed on this in preparation for my puppy and it sounds like all those precautions mentioned in these posts are necessary. Whew. A little help here?