Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Soul Singing

I've been thinking a lot about Soul's singing. I had the chance to hear him over the phone, and it was quite impressive. Other people have also told me about their dogs singing, and I would like to get Coyo singing.

Maybe it's because of the parrot, and singing is pretty much one of our daily routines.

But something fun happened today. Gümmie and I were singing away, while I did my exercises, and Coyo came in, and started talking. So I tried again, to get him to sing along. He's a talker, mostly, in that low register. So suddenly it hit me, maybe he's not a tenor, and low and behold, he's a baritone!

We'll keep working on it, but it was definitely a good start.

Brian and I both got a laugh out of this one. He suggests we start a group and do a Christmas album to raise funds for kibble for the ranch! ;-)

There's video of Soul now - but its on my Facebook...trying to share it with the AID page!

Edited by Debi
Brian and I both got a laugh out of this one. He suggests we start a group and do a Christmas album to raise funds for kibble for the ranch! ;-)

There's video of Soul now - but its on my Facebook...trying to share it with the AID page!

Apparently Shunka sings beautifully, but he only does it if I'm not there! Holly sings in her sleep but it is very sorrowful, she is a rescue dog and dreams of sad times in her past, she will also bark, growl and snarl yet she never does any of this when she is awake. She's a h appy gorl now, well loved and she adores Shunka, he takes it as his due!

He suggests we start a group

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there's a song we can practice? Hope you can share the vid. I am not on facebook. I'm scared they'll find me. :)

unfortunatley snake does not sing but the singing comes from both sides of thier ancesters cyotes are known as the song dog and husky can be very verbal so its in them , snake verbal he loves to tell me when someone is too close to the house

he has different barks for differnt things

he barks very quick when someone is coming

he has short singles barks to let me know when all the critters are ready to come inside

he has short qick barks when I am coming home along with the tail wagging etc.

can not get him to sing oh he has

the bark when he is unsure or scared the is acompanied by a howling mixed with a growl hackles up and everything .

and he has his barking that is disaproval when he does not like what I am telling him to do or he gets correxcted

he mumbles when he does not like something

I hope he does not pass it on to the new puppy

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there's a song we can practice? Hope you can share the vid. I am not on facebook. I'm scared they'll find me. :)

Danza has a sound, it comes from deep within her - I imagine it to be within her belly somewhere, low. Sometimes something happens that makes the sound come out - she has no control over it. It is as if the thing calls to her and charms the sound out, and a silver thread comes out of her throat and shoots to the stars. And then it is gone.

Edited by Karen

thats funny I really wish we could get them together :)

snakes really taking this gaurdian thing serious lately letting me know everything thats going on outside my house

Danza has a sound, it comes from deep within her - I imagine it to be within her belly somewhere, low. Sometimes something happens that makes the sound come out - she has no control over it. It is as if the thing calls to her and charms the sound out, and a silver thread comes out of her throat and shoots to the stars. And then it is gone.
It is as if the thing calls to her and charms the sound out, and a silver thread comes out of her throat and shoots to the stars. And then it is gone.

Love that image.

Beautiful way to describe it. Soul has over 100 different vocals - I swear. We should all start a YouTube page and put our singing doggies on it!!!

I'll have to reload it from the other computer - can't pull it down from Facebook. You Ninja you...hiding in cyberworld - it's not a big bad place @ Facebook - come join!!! Mark it all private and you can ninja it with me!

Shhhh...don't tell, but I bought Brian a Flip cam for Xmas - I'll use it more than he does...hee hee...but they post right to YouTube when you set them up - so I will be posting lotsa cool vids after the 24th! We are going to try and get Soul to sing with the Christmas dogs! He watches the TV everytime they come on the Sirius holiday channel!!!

Soul has over 100 different vocals - I swear. We should all start a YouTube page and put our singing doggies on it!!!

Danza really isn't all that "talk-y". She'd bark more at the goings-on outside if she was allowed, and she complains some and moans when she's happy and does her weird howl thing sometimes. Otherwise, she does more with her head and ears. And paws and butt and tail and body. She's still very expressive. Oh, and she nudges me with her nose a lot.

Edited by Karen
I've been thinking a lot about Soul's singing. I had the chance to hear him over the phone, and it was quite impressive. Other people have also told me about their dogs singing, and I would like to get Coyo singing.

Maybe it's because of the parrot, and singing is pretty much one of our daily routines.

But something fun happened today. Gümmie and I were singing away, while I did my exercises, and Coyo came in, and started talking. So I tried again, to get him to sing along. He's a talker, mostly, in that low register. So suddenly it hit me, maybe he's not a tenor, and low and behold, he's a baritone!

We'll keep working on it, but it was definitely a good start.

This singing thing is pretty fun....I have a talking Berner, (she barks three times in a row = "I love you," and so when I asked Tolinka to speak he knew what I wanted. I started singing with him shortly after that. I don't howl very well, but again he knew what I wanted. (He gets treats if he sings along). Then one night I tried the harmonica and you would have thought we were at the opera or something. Then I was worried that the harmonica might hurt his ears, so I played it really softly. He still sang away. This morning he got a little mouthy and I pretended it hurt and made little yelping sounds....he started in with his little notes of howls, with a flutter (like rolling "r's") sound to it. I am still learning about all of his sounds and what they mean. It's like learning a different language. I have to admit that I talk to Tolinka all the time. Sometimes he looks at me with full understanding and other times its like "Are you nuts or something?" He's right, I probably am nuts, but I'm having a great time conversing with him and learning his sounds. I must teach him "Oh what a beautiful world" Who knows he might be another Louis Armstrong.......tee hee. I wonder how one teaches the different notes within a specific range? Any ideas anyone?

How cool! I have two talkers, Luko~ta and Sage. Luko~ta kind of sings when he knows Branden is coming home from his walk. I will have to try some of these suggestions to see if I can coax the singer out of both of them. They both have such pretty voices....I mean....umm....handsome voices. :(

Cy, on the other hand, never makes any noises; other than growling Sage into his place. Let me rephrase that; Cy never makes noises when she is awake. She has only barked twice and we really aren't sure it was her. She does; however, bark and make noises while she sleeps. :) It's the funniest thing.

I am going to have to go find you on Facebook, Debi! I need some new employees for my fish tank, anyway. ;)

Thanks for the great idea! I know Luko~ta will be a natural. Kim even told us the day we got him that we should be prepared for his talking. He loves to carry on.

We are working diligently with Sage to get him to talk; not bark. He has this bark that just pierces your ears. He is learning; slowly but surely. I think his biggest issue is he just doesn't think we are giving whatever it is he is barking at the attention that he thinks it needs. I am hoping that teaching him to "talk" more will give him a better way to express himself. He already has all those different "words" and such for going out, want my toys, hungry, and thirsty. You can tell what he wants by how he asks for it; so I am sure it is only a matter of time before he changes those barks to talking. Then, it's just a short step to singing, right?

A two dog ensemble! I can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...
Well, we found out that Soul thinks the animals in Farmville (a Facebook application) are real and he...well...you can see for yourself - he sings well at them! Warning: make sure your speakers are not up too loud!

That is priceless :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha: :Bwahahaha:

Ha! That was terrific! Coyo stood stock still, watching "not so little Soul". I'll have to wait for the hubby to go back to work, before trying this again.

Alright! This should get the choir started.

I just wonder which of us will be bringing the chicken?

Ha! That was terrific! Coyo stood stock still, watching "not so little Soul". I'll have to wait for the hubby to go back to work, before trying this again.

Alright! This should get the choir started.

I just wonder which of us will be bringing the chicken?

I think we should pick a song and have the dogs ready by the next gathering.......

I think we should pick a song and have the dogs ready by the next gathering.......

Hawk was in the living room with my husband when I turned Soul on. They both came in to see what I was watching. Hawk just looked up at the screen and walked away but came back to put on his on performance. He actually howls every morning when I am in the bathroom and he is watching me get ready for the day.

Lisa

Hawk was in the living room with my husband when I turned Soul on. They both came in to see what I was watching. Hawk just looked up at the screen and walked away but came back to put on his on performance. He actually howls every morning when I am in the bathroom and he is watching me get ready for the day.

Lisa

Lisa - that is so funny - Soul HAS to be in the bathroom with either of us when we shower (and we listen to music while getting ready) and he will start to howl the minute he hears the water go on...with his not liking water - I wondered if he thought we were getting hurt - but yesterday he jumped right in with me! ;-O

Karen - the hubby in hiding says they are "idiot savants"! Bwahahaha

Well, we found out that Soul thinks the animals in Farmville (a Facebook application) are real and he...well...you can see for yourself - he sings well at them! Warning: make sure your speakers are not up too loud!

I just watched the video of Soul singing. Chief was beside me and the minute he heard Soul he looked right at me and did his side tilt of his head that he does when there are sounds that he is trying to figure out. And then he heard Soul do a bark and he perked up even more intently.

The whole time he just stared intently at me with is head tilted listening to Soul. He seemed to recognize it and now I wonder if that reminded him of his early days with his brothers and sisters. Though, him and Soul look quite a lot alike, If I am remembering correctly, they weren't from the same litter. Same mother was it? Sandy and nova....

I just watched the video of Soul singing. Chief was beside me and the minute he heard Soul he looked right at me and did his side tilt of his head that he does when there are sounds that he is trying to figure out. And then he heard Soul do a bark and he perked up even more intently.

The whole time he just stared intently at me with is head tilted listening to Soul. He seemed to recognize it and now I wonder if that reminded him of his early days with his brothers and sisters. Though, him and Soul look quite a lot alike, If I am remembering correctly, they weren't from the same litter. Same mother was it? Sandy and nova....

They were born in the same time frame - different parents. I think I have a pic that Todd sent me of them all playing together (somewhere)! Soul's parents are Echo and Shoppa...his birthday is 3/22

We might have to sit this song out. :blink:

Cy will not "talk" unless it is to tell you she needs something....and she has to be desperate to do even that. She is very quiet.

The boys on the other hand are not so quiet; however, they don't really sing as much as they talk. They have this funny way of making you understand what it is they are getting at too. Sage is the best at it; he can really get going. I should try to get him on my computer the next time he tries to tell Branden something. It's too funny.

I love Soul's singing. My dogs all looked at the me as if I was the one making the noise then went on about their business....in their defense it is after their bedtime. They stick to a schedule; of their own I might add, but stick to it they do and it's after hours. ;)