Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Shunka's Back Home

Well the lad is back home, the good news is how the heck do I tell him, he's a poorly dog!

He doesn't believe it! He has an incision from his shoulder to his elbow, and they shaved off a front quarter of his hair, so he is a quarter bald!

He was operated on about 9, and I was supposed to pick him up at 1.30, the phone rang and I thought "Great".

"Very sorry" says the vetinary nurse, "but he is so surprisingly active after the anaesthetic, he's managed to burst some of the stitches and will have to go under again to put it right!"

So at 4.00 we got another call that he was still a bit woozy and wobbly, but he hates being in a cage, (knew that should have told em), and he would be better at home where he may rest.

So we go and get him and the young vet says can't understand this, he's had two lots of anaesthetic, pain killers and antibiotics and he is so active. When he gets home, he may wish to drink and have a light meal.

Yes he wished to drink, but only the pond at the bottom of a 100 ft garden was what he wanted, diifficut to get through the pond vegetation with an elizabethan collar on, but he insisted and got what he wanted. Then he had quite a good meal, and enventually decided to lie down.

I have given him some more painkiller and slight sedative this morning, but he is refusing the antibiotics. hre has sussed me trying to hide it in his food, and managed to spit it out three times, so will try and catch him on the hop, but the slightest indication a pill is in there and it will be out!

It is also good news that the majority of the shaving was unnecessary, the vet decided that he didn't need to make a skin shift after all, so that has saved a lot of soreness.

I have been given a gorgeous picture of Shunka so will scan it and share it to show what he really looks like at his best, poor lad he doesn't look like that at present. We can only hope this time it has been removed totally.

Just wondering if this quarter will go darker than the rest of him, I have noticed that new hair sometimes is.

So here's hoping I can keep him quiet so the wound can mend, if only we didn't have to fight him with the pills!

Liz, great to hear he's home, and that they are once again positive about his chances. Especially glad to hear that his spirit is so strong!

Please do scan and send the picture. I really want to see him. I thank you for all the time you've spent, too, in describing him, and your lives. I feel very fond of him, even though we've never met--I can almost smell the garden, and see Shunka's grin after drinking that pond water.

That's a relief! Speedy recovery for Shunka, and I am also looking forward to the photo.

Well the lad is back home, the good news is how the heck do I tell him, he's a poorly dog!

He doesn't believe it! He has an incision from his shoulder to his elbow, and they shaved off a front quarter of his hair, so he is a quarter bald!

He was operated on about 9, and I was supposed to pick him up at 1.30, the phone rang and I thought "Great".

"Very sorry" says the vetinary nurse, "but he is so surprisingly active after the anaesthetic, he's managed to burst some of the stitches and will have to go under again to put it right!"

So at 4.00 we got another call that he was still a bit woozy and wobbly, but he hates being in a cage, (knew that should have told em), and he would be better at home where he may rest.

So we go and get him and the young vet says can't understand this, he's had two lots of anaesthetic, pain killers and antibiotics and he is so active. When he gets home, he may wish to drink and have a light meal.

Yes he wished to drink, but only the pond at the bottom of a 100 ft garden was what he wanted, diifficut to get through the pond vegetation with an elizabethan collar on, but he insisted and got what he wanted. Then he had quite a good meal, and enventually decided to lie down.

I have given him some more painkiller and slight sedative this morning, but he is refusing the antibiotics. hre has sussed me trying to hide it in his food, and managed to spit it out three times, so will try and catch him on the hop, but the slightest indication a pill is in there and it will be out!

It is also good news that the majority of the shaving was unnecessary, the vet decided that he didn't need to make a skin shift after all, so that has saved a lot of soreness.

I have been given a gorgeous picture of Shunka so will scan it and share it to show what he really looks like at his best, poor lad he doesn't look like that at present. We can only hope this time it has been removed totally.

Just wondering if this quarter will go darker than the rest of him, I have noticed that new hair sometimes is.

So here's hoping I can keep him quiet so the wound can mend, if only we didn't have to fight him with the pills!

Our dogs HATE pills! We put a bit of butter around it and one, two, three the pill and the butter are consumed! It's worth a try. We used to buy fresh liver sausage by the pounds and finally the butcher couldn't stand it any longer and asked - what the heck do you do with all this liver sausage! Needless to say, they shook their head in disbelief! Oh, well!

Our dogs HATE pills! We put a bit of butter around it and one, two, three the pill and the butter are consumed! It's worth a try. We used to buy fresh liver sausage by the pounds and finally the butcher couldn't stand it any longer and asked - what the heck do you do with all this liver sausage! Needless to say, they shook their head in disbelief! Oh, well!

Well my method was similar, one slice of ham, spread thickly with butter, hide the pills, another piece of ham on top, (or do it with cheese) and throw it at him to catch. he's sussed it! So now Mike is crushing the pills in a mortar and pestal, mixingit with the butter and rolling up the ham, it worked this morning, but he is not used to Mike giving him the pills!

Have totake him back to the vets now, so many thanks for all your god wishes

Well my method was similar, one slice of ham, spread thickly with butter, hide the pills, another piece of ham on top, (or do it with cheese) and throw it at him to catch. he's sussed it! So now Mike is crushing the pills in a mortar and pestal, mixingit with the butter and rolling up the ham, it worked this morning, but he is not used to Mike giving him the pills!

Have totake him back to the vets now, so many thanks for all your god wishes

Looking at the previous post, can see I did it in a hurry!

Shunka walked into the vets as good as gold, did wonder after Saturday. the verdict is he is doing well, slightly raised temperature and slight, very slight infection where he chewed out the stitches.

Ellie the vet was really pleased with him, she hasn't seen him totally awake before. He did not like his temperature being taken (can't blame him) but she found he needed a staple at the base of the incision so put one in with no flinching and no murmour.

Which was amazing as she had to have 3 goes to get it to catch right!

She says he has a very strong heart, which helps him with coming round so quickly, but at the moment he is sound asleep which is a blessing.

Will get that picture done it is really a lovely one of him, my favourite.

Shunka walked into the vets as good as gold, did wonder after Saturday. the verdict is he is doing well, slightly raised temperature and slight, very slight infection where he chewed out the stitches.

Ellie the vet was really pleased with him, she hasn't seen him totally awake before. He did not like his temperature being taken (can't blame him) but she found he needed a staple at the base of the incision so put one in with no flinching and no murmour.

She says he has a very strong heart, which helps him with coming round so quickly, but at the moment he is sound asleep which is a blessing.

Well here it is, hope it comes up all right, it has come up a bit bluish, he is a very red dog , with greenish eyes.

The skirt is me, the brown legs are Mike, it was takenat one of our camps.

Here's hoping he looks as good soon again!

Well here it is, hope it comes up all right, it has come up a bit bluish, he is a very red dog , with greenish eyes.

The skirt is me, the brown legs are Mike, it was takenat one of our camps.

Here's hoping he looks as good soon again!

img_shunka_best_2009_Correction.jpg

When you see it full size, the red shows through. Beautiful!

He really is beautiful. Lying there as if he is chief of the tribe.

I'm so glad you think so, I just hope he is as good as new again soon, the wound is beginning to itch, so have to keep him slighly sedated, it doesn't seem to work too well, he is so determined and strong willed! I think it is this that will get him through this though, with all that is good willing.

How is he doiing now? Here they say when it is itching it is healing.

Yes they do here too! Thanks so much for asking.

The top and bottom of the incision is healing well, but the stitches in the middle have given up. His leg was so swollen with fluid that they gave way.

He now has a nasty open wound, which is clean and healthy, but will take up to 8 weeks to heal.

Sue the vet does not want to do a remedial operation to do a skin shift to cover it, as she thinks he's been through enough at present. She says it won't heal prettily, but I don't mind as long as we can get it to heal.

He goes back for a check tomorrow, so will see what is said then. He is perfectly fine otherwise, as good as gold when I clean the wound for him and put on the special gel.

But when I take him for a walk he wants to go ahead as normal, he can still pull me off my feet, so he still has full power.

I am sure he is quite convinced it doesn't exist! If he was human, they would be asking for all sorts of help!

Mike wants to make him a leather cover to hold a dressing, this would be easier when walking him, as I wouldn't have to be so concerned about such things as grass seeds getting into the wound.

It is in such a difficult place, right on the front of his shoulder. We shall see what the verdict is tomorrow.

Edited by liz

The Pro-Collar is on it's way, and I'm getting another that sounds even better. I'll check today to see if it's in the store. It's made out of canvas--same idea, but tougher material.

The Pro-Collar is on it's way, and I'm getting another that sounds even better. I'll check today to see if it's in the store. It's made out of canvas--same idea, but tougher material.

Thanks so much Allison it is so much appreciated, he should be more comfortable in it, it's just the awkward spot it is, looks like it will be a long time healing, the stitches have given up in the middle, so will have to see what the verdict is today, it may be that they will want to do a skin shift, but will it give up again from pressure of movement in the area? Mike says perhaps they should put a splint on it to restrict movement, but if it mends too tight?

Just don't know, will have to suck it and see as they say!

Edited by liz
Thanks so much Allison it is so much appreciated, he should be more comfortable in it, it's just the awkward spot it is, looks like it will be a long time healing, the stitches have given up in the middle, so will have to see what the verdict is today, it may be that they will want to do a skin shift, but will it give up again from pressure of movement in the area? Mike says perhaps they should put a splint on it to restrict movement, but if it mends too tight?

Just don't know, will have to suck it and see as they say!

Well the verdict is leave it and slap on the gel 3 times a day, also get him to wear a

T-shirt, to help keep it clean.

Did not put his Elizabethan collar on as we thought he couldn't get to it, in the garden for a few seconds out of sight, minus one sleeve so back goes the collar!

So now he ignores it, not too happy when I change it for a clean one, and I don't think it does his street cred any good in his eyes!

Shall have to go around the charity shops (swift shops?) and try and get some really heavy metal one's or something!

Mike says he isn't going to get his 'Green man' celtic one though!

Edited by liz
Here there are dogs that have orange t-shirts and caps. Some even painted there dogs orange :P .

I was interested in taking Shunka to ability classes until a friend who has labradors said she was taking hers to the group Christmas party which was in fancy dress, I asked her what she would be wearing and she said it wouldn't be her dressed up but the dogs.

I thought then that it wasn't a group for me never mind Shunka!

I told her I would put a feather behind his ear and he could go as himself!

I have seen a video of a fellow in the Netherlands, dressed all in pink, his hair was dyed pink, and so was his poodle, he was walking past a ship full of soldiers, they didn't let us hear the comments!

Our dog's are too good looking already, they are good enough just as they are!

Edited by liz

They sell dog clothes everywhere here, but I see more dressed up dogs on television than I do in real life. But then, I live in East Bum, where there are more goats and horses than dogs. When I lived in California I saw dogs dressed up all of the time.

K

They sell dog clothes everywhere here, but I see more dressed up dogs on television than I do in real life. But then, I live in East Bum, where there are more goats and horses than dogs. When I lived in California I saw dogs dressed up all of the time.

K

What makes them want to do it? Just can't get into that mindset at all? Walking Shunka past the school today, he had his collar and T-shirt on, and I was asked if it was fancy-dress day today!

Don't know the answer Shunka would have given, but it wouldn't have been polite! So I tried to politely tell the lady what the reason for it all was, I thoought most people in the vilage knew now, most things go around rather quickly, it's quite a small community really.

What makes them want to do it? Just can't get into that mindset at all? Walking Shunka past the school today, he had his collar and T-shirt on, and I was asked if it was fancy-dress day today!

Don't know the answer Shunka would have given, but it wouldn't have been polite! So I tried to politely tell the lady what the reason for it all was, I thoought most people in the vilage knew now, most things go around rather quickly, it's quite a small community really.

The news from the vets is good, the wound is healing and looking clean, the T-shirts and gel seem to be working thankfully.

Today's T-shirt courtesy of Tina our daughter reads "Don't laugh at me because I'm different, I pity you because you are the same!"

Hmm, sounds just like my boy and my daughter that one!

Glad to hear it is working!

Hope you NEVER have to go through that again.

So do we!

We saw an interesting programme on Sky last night, we often watch a programme called "E-Vets" it's following veterinary interns in the East Alamieda Hospital in Denver.

It showed another way to deal with the wounds left from removing mast cell tumours. this programme was about a boxer who had one on his lower front leg.

The vet cut a piece of large holed foam the exact size of the wound, this was then vaccuumed to take out the air and sealed.

The dressings were changed every day, and they say the wound healed quicker and better.

Of course Shunka's is in the wrong place! he would need bandages all around his body!

It didn't seem to me to be much quicker than is expected for Shunka to heal, we change his shirt every day anyway, and it is checked twice a day when we gel him.

This way, the wound stays clean, it keeps out the grass seeds when we go for a walk for instance, and the air gets to it to help keep it drier.

He was full of energy and get up and go today, a pity I still can't let him off the lead to run, but we walked a little bit further today, so perhaps soon!

Edited by liz