Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Interesting Article About Pet Waste

I know it's not a very catchy title, but it turns out to be a huge subject and there is a lot of interesting info in it.

What a crappy topic to bring up!!

I stopped at a little park close to our house for a quick walk with Draco & Wicca. There are leash & scoop signs with bags at the head of every trail. It was a mess with unpicked poop.

It is a huge issue.

I researched it for us in Lynnwood, WA in Snohomish County. We thought about doing our own little composter but haven't yet. So, we use biodegradable or compostable bags and recycle through our normal waste management.

Thanks for that article, K. Something I do worry about, and think about. We have also switched to the biodegradable bags. Thought we were using those all along, but turns out the others were "degradable", and break up into tiny plastic pieces.

I have often thought about those composters, but would hate to think I was adding to water contaminates.

In light of the fact that Lili is presently working through some worm problems this article couldn't have come at a better time to impact my way of thinking. We'd gotten into a bad habit of not cleaning out the yard regularly enough when the dogs had done their business in the past. This resulted in a little slice of Ireland in our backyard but also a minefield for those that had to make their way across it (cutting grass, weeding..etc.) so when Lili arrived we've been on a mission to make sure that the poop is picked up each day (in most cases immediately after 'deposit') to keep the yard looking nice & clean. Didn't think much about the compost or landfill situation until now. Thanks for the posting! Very timely for all of us but especially the new puppy parents!

Hmm, all very interesting, I've just bought a composter, as i live in a very rural district it would take a very long time to get into any drinking water here as it is all provided by reservois many miles from here. I know we have had him a long time, but we have more problems in the garden as Shunka is no longer active enough to go on several long walks a day.

It's so much easier to scoop up and put into the pot n the ground than scoop it up in a bag and deposit in the landfill.

I don't know how it is over there in large cities for instance, but I know the Thames is said to pass through many people before it reaches the sea!

Thinking about it, cities are a little bit different too over there! It took some getting used to to see a place called a city and it had a population of about 10 people! Over here a hamlet is a small collection of houses without a church. A village is usually a little larger with at least a parish church, we also have a chapel. A town is bigger again and has a full town council and not hust a parish council like a village. A City is either a town with a Cathedral and lately a large conurbation.