Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Coffey is starting classes tomorrow and I hope he dose well. It is not just for manners . . . It is also for him to listen better and not be Marlin like on leash for one example. I am also to learn to Calm down his excitement as needed. Hope it goes well for both of us. Denise to help. More as classes finish up in weeks to come.

• Like 1

How's it going? I am dying to know.

Better than Tayamni's Tricks class. She just refuses to do anything 99% of the time. Coffey will learn tricks more because he is trying to do them for a treat when I teach her and he is around. Doesn't matter if he is around or not, she just looks at me blankly. Like when its wet outside and I'm trying to get her to go out for potty.

Hi Alison ! Coffey is doing well in his class. he is a "treat hound". He is Learning 'what is it / who is it . . . in a happy voice . . . we look to see what he and Tayamni are looking at for them to calm (or quiet)the both down. There is also focus (looking at me), target games (like touching hand or a cap on the floor), super fast sits (auto stops like on walks or around the house as they fallow you), place (sit at a spot and stay. A rug near the front door or to one side in kitchen when making their food), and a rub down (hands over the head to rub the ears, down the back doing some more rubbing, the base of the tail and back area is another place on the dog. what ever area the dog likes). Lots of work to do and I hope this can help someone else.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Kelli & Coffey are doing well! Last class is coming up this week. The class uses massages, treats, voice and toys as rewards.

This is a work-in-progress and Coffey is responding and learning to calm his overexcitement and pay attention to Kelli (look to her for cues) when he's excited. It is a desensitization class using calming techniques.

The barking at everyone and everything going by on the street in front of house has quieted by about 90%!!!!!!!!!

She has also been working on sending him to a target and return and working on sitting and focusing on her at all doors & thresh holds again.

These are all things (recall, autostops, stay, etc) that Coffey learned during our basic commands and obedience training but the emphasis is a little different in this class (goal/focus).

Will continue to practice and use these techniques in different situations. It is VERY good to have multiple positive approaches in the arsenal!

• Like 1

PS Tayamni has found she LOVES to perform some tricks!!!!!! Learning to jump through hoops this week!

• Like 1

He is Learning 'what is it / who is it . . . in a happy voice . . . we look to see what he and Tayamni are looking at for them to calm (or quiet)the both down.

I need to start this, immediately, because Sitka is getting her to follow HIS craziness.

• Like 2

For us it was the opposite. Tayamni used to watch stuff (even though Roger the Doxie-terrier barked) and then Coffey came to the household and got old enough to start barking at everything across the street and Tayamni figured she should be doing it too! This is the older following the younger but still the female following what the male AI dog/pup is barking at.