12 replies to this topic

#1 oocahtah

oocahtah

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

was wondering if anyone one has thoughts on a natural way to treat against ticks and flees,i have been reading that organic aplle cide vinager works very well and also helps with other things ,were i live i have 50 acres of tress and bush(i live in the kawarths ,ontario),i would rather find a natural way then having to put so many chemicals into them,any suggestions would be great    thanks all

#2 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:My AIDog Chhaya...herbs, gardening, the outdoors.

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:43 AM

I use essential oils like peppermint, citronella, lemongrass, lavender, eucalyptus, and cedar wood.   I put them in a spray bottle with water.  I reapply it every time I take Chhaya out and I also brush her every time we are done in the woods or fields.  Extra work but not the chemicals....

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#3 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2342 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:00 AM

With all the hiking and traveling and other-dog interactions we do- I gave up and chose to use an OTC flea product. Used to use Revolution, but J developed a sensitivity to it and would get skin irritations. Switched to Advantage and have no complaints. I only use it in summer May through September or so. To minimize the impact on their systems.
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#4 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7666 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

I only use it in summer May through September or so. To minimize the impact on their systems.

Here, here.

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#5 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2342 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:40 AM

We also have a HUGE neighborhood cat population that completely infests our yard with Fleas… :(

So herbal options would have to be applies multiple times/day, and is not practical.  My dogs would be greasebombs from all the essential oils.. lol

"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#6 oocahtah

oocahtah

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

hi maria what ratio do you use and i started putting the cider vinager in there food and they actually love it and so far all is good on the bugs as mooka and bella love to go in the woods close to the house i have also heard bathing in pepermint oil is good for the skin and coat and keeps the bugs away,going to try will let you know how it goes

and thanks all for the advise 

#7 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:01 AM

Oh no Starghoti.....you put the oils in a spray bottle with water and then spray them...no oily mess! I know it is alot of work but I prefer to stay away from chemicals...I had 2 dogs a collie and a lab that had reactions to the heartworm pills and the flea products.  I chose to do as much naturally even though it's more work for me. A longer life for my pup is worth it. But with neighbors that don't care for their animals it makes it difficult to do this....I'm sorry that you have to deal with that!

oocahtah, I use a 24 oz spray bottle and put approx 10-15 drops of each oil...I mix 3 or 4 different oils together. (make sure you spray the undercoat!) You can go online and do a search for "essential oils that repel fleas and ticks".  I use Mountain Rose oils.  A couple other kinds that are good is Young Living or DoTerra.  I do not use oils that have alcohol, etc in them....the more pure the better!  

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#8 woodrat

woodrat

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:The dogs, photography, drawing, taxidermy, needle felting, hiking, dog behavior.

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:58 AM

Maria, how do your pups handle the essential oils? Tamarack hates the smell of them and will act incredibly pathetic as I'm spraying it on and the moment I release him he throws himself all over the place trying to wipe it off on every single thing he can find. I assume the smell is quite strong for him but it's hard to tell if it's actually that uncomfortable or if he's just being overly dramatic (which would not be out of character for him).

I can't really tell that the essential oils make much of a difference against fleas and ticks, but it does seem to help keep the blackflies away. I tend to use nothing at all but have had to use Advantage on occasion if I actually see fleas. For ticks I just try to remain diligent about checking him thoroughly and pulling them off promptly. We did a 5 minute run through a field the other day and got an unbelievable amount of ticks off of him... over 20 on each leg! They are bad this year in New England.

#9 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:58 AM

Chhaya does ok now.  She tried to roll and get the smell off at first too, but over time she got used to it. It's like anything else start with small amounts and increase over time. When I ride my horse I respray her when we get back and brush her, they are bad in PA too.  Some of the things she rolls in....the oils smell much better lol! 

She gets scared with thunderstorms and I use lavender to calm her down some.  

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#10 oocahtah

oocahtah

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

1526761_795000320621191_6828537088977701Dog owners !! 

Something to be aware off for all those who have little grass eaters! 
Ticks can also burrow into the mouth!

#11 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3285 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:24 AM

I Tell you, I learn something new every day on this forum...I had no idea a tick would go THERE

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#12 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7666 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:03 AM

Yikes!

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#13 oocahtah

oocahtah

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:56 PM

make 2 of us,so i have done alot of research and up here in good ole canada the best natural way to keep ticks and fleas and misquitos away is lavender oil ,which will also calm them

so this is what i will try,will let you know how it goes,thanks all for the responses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users