Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Hi everyone. I want to extend this info, because, it may happen to any one of us.

I went to the vet to get Frontline. It is that time of year. I bought three doses (not a whole box) 22lbs-44lbs.......$59.00 (OUCH).

Anyway, I start putting it on Sitka who is 35lbs, and needing it seriously for the first time. Then I see, on the back of the vial, that it is for 44-88lbs.

He did not get the full dose, but most of it. Coyo 44lbs got the rest. Really, it was not enough for Coyo, and too much for Sitka. Vet said I could wash it off, and they would replace it. I did consider that, but the little guy, who has never been concerned before, is going mad with fleas, suddenly.

So I called the company, and here is what they told me: They have tested this for safety for up to 5 times the dose. I was told he would be fine, and not to worry.

Normally, I am for giving the least amount of these things as possible. However, if you ever find yourself in this same situation, don't panic. I will sure let you know if I notice any side effects, and I WILL BE WATCHING.

It was a great relief to talk to their technicians, and I do appreciate that they make themselves available to pet owners.

He is lying at my feet, not spinning, or biting. Poor little fellow. Don't know why the fleas went mad so suddenly, but glad to see him resting comfortably.

Sitka? Sitka...!? No, he's just resting. :lol:

• Like 1

Glad the Little Guy will be fine.

Also very glad they build a large safety margin into these treatments.

Let us know how it goes...

Good point.

Little guy still itching/licking in the night, but not as badly. Expect it will take a few days for the bites to heal. In the mean time, the fleas are jumping ship, and I got a few bites.....lovely. Another good argument for not letting your dogs sleep on the bed.

No other symptoms or problems to report.

My pups have been on Front line for ever as well. Usually Frontline takes care of the flea problem. BUT this year, the fleas went mad. As I posted earlier, they were attacking Two Step, and not bothering Tolinka so much. My vet said that Frontline is mediocre for flea control and great for tick control. I keep them on it all year as I am deathly allergic to ticks. Now both pups are on Comfortis for their fleas. It's given once a month, and if the problem is REALLY bad, you can give it every three weeks. It has made a tremendous difference. I don't know about anyone else, but I am looking forward to these little pests going dormant. B)

Global Cooling! I'm with ya!

dont know if you can get in the states but i use resolution on all my 3 dogs and 4 cats and have never had a problem and it works on ticks and help prevent

heart worm kill any live flees and the larva and any eggs cost me 130 a month for all 7 maybe you can investigate and see if you can get there might help

good luck

We have a young dog, mixed breed ( basenji/chihuahua) He is about 18months old. We have not needed to use anything for fleas or tics so far. I am grateful because I have heard stories about how toxic frontline and like products can be to animals and humans.

I personally choose not to use toxic chemicals in my home...cleaning supplies, or skin care products. Has anyone tried anything else on their dogs that is more plant/herb based? Trying to be more environmentally conscious, but also not use chemicals that cause health issues long term.

There was just a thread on fleas but in an unusual spot. It's under Stacey Livingston. (put fleas in the search field upper right hand corner)

I wonder if it should be cut out of the puppy thread and pasted here?

I decided not to break up her thread, but here is the link to recent flea control advice:

http://www.iidoba.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3046&hl=fleas&do=findComment&comment=27370