• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RoyS

RoyS

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Being outdoors, working in my shop, running my business, spending time with my family, mushroom hunting, fixing my Chevy's up.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

For some reason and I don't know why, I thought the males got somewhere between 50-60lbs. Then I came across a thread and I think it said that it was Gib's AID that was an exception for that kind of weight. So I got to looking into it and the SDK site says males are about 30-45lbs. and the females are 25-40lbs. 

I have no idea where I came up with those numbers for the 50-60lb range. My wife was just asking me the other day how much bigger he would get. Since I had just weighed him a few weeks ago at 23 lbs. I told her that he should at least double in size again. I sure messed that on up pretty good. I can't believe after all this time and reading that I did that. It is all good though but now I know.

#2 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, snorkeling, grandchildren, dogs, community, computers and ....

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

Don't know how "unusual" 65 pounds is, but Draco is unique!!  

Yep, when he was a pup, he was about 20 pounds we figured he would double that -- not triple it.

The vets would say, "he's going to be 60 pounds."  We'd say, "No, he's going to be 30-45 pounds."  

Darn vets -- sometimes they are right!!

Draco's brother, Rocco, is the same weight but two inches taller and two inches skinnier!  

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

#3 judyk

judyk

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 837 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Our male is also 60 lbs., the female 45 and the pup is 30

[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Judy in Michigan

#4 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2342 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

LOL- and then there is Jasper.. who is on the other end of the spectrum at 35 lbs.  :)

Sometimes it depends on which line they come from.. eg: northern vs. plains

"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#5 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2215 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

Baby boy was 38 at last measure and I am glad. I had to carry him yesterday because he soooooo wanted to visit a little kitten and the kitty just stat there meeeowing at him so he lay down and refused to come with me. I don't think he would have hurt the kitten but I didn't want to run the experiment.

#6 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:Love spending time with my family. We do allot of camping, hiking and working on home improvement projects.<br /><br />Hawk is the most wonderful dog I could ever have. And I have had allot of dogs in my life.<br /><br />

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

My Hawk has been around 44-45 lbs. for 6 of his 8 years. Chief ( grand dog) is around the same, maybe a bit stalkier. Ma ii my sisters dog is the largest of the bunch I believe reaching 50Lbs. and Talker is built like his uncle Hawk and step brother Chief on the smaller side.

Star is right, I feel it depends on Plains vs. Northern.

[font=Arial][size=3][color=#FF0000]

#7 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, drawing, painting, cooking, dog training, film making

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

My female grew relatively slowly - she was tiny for a long time. Now she's 35 lbs. She'll always be small to me, though.

I do beautiful, wild, unique abstract photography.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza
custom_dog_nema2_small.jpg

#8 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7666 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Lisa and Star are right that it depends on the lines.  Kim out-breeds different lines from the mix.  For a while they were the larger Northern trap line dogs, but more recently he has been out-breeding the smaller pueblo types, or southern lines.  

My first runs close to 50lbs, and is lean, but my younger dog stays near 35lbs.  They are ten years apart.

Sometimes, in one litter you will get both sizes, like Gib did.  He hit the jackpot with Draco.  Many of his siblings are more delicate.  It depends on the mix, the breeding, and where you are in the breeding cycle. 

All good.

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#9 Nessa

Nessa

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sewing, Cooking, Willow, Family!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Willow has always been especially tiny to me.  Weighing in at a max 32lbs with her head coming up to just the top of my kneecap.  She is a very slender dog, and though we feed her just a TINY bit more than what is recommended, keeping her weight on is a challenge.  If we spend more time on our walks/at the park than normal, I make sure to give her an extra snack so she doesn't wither away ;)

"I don't want to see new things, I want to see things new."

#10 RoyS

RoyS

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Being outdoors, working in my shop, running my business, spending time with my family, mushroom hunting, fixing my Chevy's up.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

Willow has always been especially tiny to me.  Weighing in at a max 32lbs with her head coming up to just the top of my kneecap.  She is a very slender dog, and though we feed her just a TINY bit more than what is recommended, keeping her weight on is a challenge.  If we spend more time on our walks/at the park than normal, I make sure to give her an extra snack so she doesn't wither away ;)

If you would, post up some pics of Willow. I would love to see them. 

#11 Nessa

Nessa

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sewing, Cooking, Willow, Family!

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Unfortunately I am at work and don't have any on this computer, but here are some I have on my flickr.

http://www.flickr.co...phy/8428234981/

http://www.flickr.co...phy/8429330334/

http://www.flickr.co...phy/8429330334/

http://www.flickr.co...phy/8269410594/

http://www.flickr.co...phy/7738250346/

Sorry if that's too many, she's my favorite lady! Haha.

"I don't want to see new things, I want to see things new."

#12 skg

skg

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:30 AM

I know I asked this somewhere on the site, but I can't find it and never saw if anyone replied. Chester is BIG! I see here that they can range in size, but how do you know if they are at an unhealthy weight. He is tall and long, as tall and long as an average lab and coming in just an inch or so smaller than our neighbor's portugese water poodle. And he is between 70-75 lbs.. I can tell by looking at him that he probably needs to drop at least a little weight, but what is ideal and how do I achieve it. I tried a "diet" dog food from Eukanuba, but it didn't seem to do anything except make him more hungry and prone to stealing food off counters. I give him the amount of regular food recommended for his current weight, should I be giving him the recommended amount for his ideal weight? And what do you think that would be? I also am starting to reserve 1/2 cup of food from evening feeding and make him chase the ball to finish off his meal. He is not a dog that begs for walks. He likes them well enough, but when we walk out the door, he is really hoping we are going for a car ride. Those he does not want to miss and so goes with me practically everywhere. Great bonding time, but not doing anything for his waistline:)

#13 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2215 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:08 AM

I think you were looking for this threat

http://www.iidoba.or...ic=3371&hl=food

Denise E:

Increasing exercise is never a bad thing (for the dog and the human - LOL!), then cutting back on food if necessary - if you feel your dog is overweight.  Of course making sure you are feeding a high quality food.

What does your vet say?

My VoAg educated rules of thumb for an ADULT DOG (not AI Dog specific):  :)

If you can't feel your dogs ribs easily - too fat. If you can see the ribs, probably too thin.

Base of tail should not be bony, feel smooth, flat, should be able to feel bones underneath the layer (know their there) when handling the area.

Dog should have a waist between ribs and hips, again bones showing could indicate a bit thin.

Looking at the dog from the side, should see an abdominal tuck (upward) between chest and back legs.

The amount of tuck will depend on the breed and current AI Dog owners can give more info -

OR you can look at the AI Dog breeder pages on Kim's site.  I haven't seen an overweight dog there.

Maybe some of the AI Dog owners with the larger ones will reply.   ^_^

and from Woodrat (with picture of what good is in the original thread):

You should be able to easily feel his ribs when you pet down his sides. I once read that a good way to tell what's 'right' is to compare to your own hand: a healthy dogs' ribs should feel similar to the lower part of the back of your hand - a layer of skin/tissue covering bone structure that is barely visible as you move your fingers. Obviously if they feel more like your knuckles the dog is too skinny. If they feel like the area on your palm beneath your thumb then that's too heavy. When the dog is standing still, you should be able to see very clearly the outline of the ribs and when the dog is moving or has taken a large breath you would get a glimpse of the last 1 or 2 ribs now and then.

Dogs do not have a very thick layer of muscle on the lower portion of their ribs especially, so if they're hard to feel it's because there's a layer of fat over them.

AIdogs especially are built very lightly as a rule. Most people think Tamarack is underweight because they're trying to compare him to a much heavier boned dog! (shepherd)  He is 50 lbs right on the dot.

I'll attach a photo of T standing next to his buddy Manzo (cattle dog x) - both at a very good weight. Note the visible rib cage, but not individual ribs.

Attached Thumbnails (the photo wouldn't copy so if you want to see the picture, click the link and scroll to Woodrat's answer)

Edited by Sherab, 09 January 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#14 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2215 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:22 AM

I go by harness fit at this point. If the harness is getting tight it's time for more exercise. The vet wants little Waki to loose 3 lbs. Ha! 3 easier said than done. But then I dare her to go put her face on the snow at 4 deg F and then roll and roll and roll in it. I think he blubbers up for winter. His daddy was from the Yukon after all.

#15 skg

skg

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:23 AM

Thanks so much, that is very helpful. I think we are a bit overweight, but not as much as I feared based on the pictures. I love that he is one of the big ole' dog lines, but I want him to be healthy. If I can get him off the couch (lol) I will try to post a side few pic of him.

#16 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, snorkeling, grandchildren, dogs, community, computers and ....

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

Increasing exercise is never a bad thing (for the dog and the human - LOL!), then cutting back on food if necessary - if you feel your dog is overweight.  Of course making sure you are feeding a high quality food.

As someone else also already said, "Easier said than done."

But, losing weight is a simple more work and/or less food situation.  Not easy; just simple.

I had also initially mis-informed myself.... Draco still hovers around 60-65 pounds but looks very like Woodrat's posted picture....Wicca is, also, still a few pounds heavier than we wish but is healthy.  And slowly bringing her weight down and her exercise up.

I'll update with photos in a different thread soon.

For this reply -- each dog is his or her own...  I/we can't give Draco all the exercise he needs so it's off to the dogpark. 

Here's one thing we note with Draco.... at the dog park, Draco's thing is to find a dog chasing a ball and shadow them.  Back-n-forth, he is not the least bit interested in the ball -- he just wants to run with a dog that's chasing a ball..  

Yesterday, Dog #1 is a long-haired retriever.  Back-n-forth until that dog tires and leaves.  

Dog #2 is likely an English Springer or Britany Spaniel.  Back-n-forth until that dog tires and leaves. 

Dog #3 is likely a cattle dog & small shepherd of some kind.  Back-n-forth until that dog tires and leaves.  We leave with them and Draco wanted to stay.

This happens almost every time.  Draco runs with no less than two dogs per visit.  He may not be the fastest but he is in excellent condition.  His duration is amazing and he's smiling the whole time.

My point being.... his weight is pretty stable. We've found a balance in amount of food and exercise that fits our lifestyle.  

My brother's doctor told him that to lose weight you have to be just a little hungry all the time.  That's tough enough for humans to manage but dogs that are always hungry are always hunting/scrounging/foraging.  That can lead to behavior issues if not planned for.

~~~~ 

Keep your pictures, questions and answers coming.

We're all in this together and we're all here for us....

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

#17 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2215 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

That quote above in Gib's comment is actually good advice from Denise E. I used cut and paste from the original thread. Taking the best from Denise and Woodrat. Alison is working on the quote function.

#18 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7666 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:24 AM

I used cut and paste from the original thread.  Alison is working on the quote function.

That quote function is working fine.  However there are a couple other ways to quote that do not seem to be functioning.

Please let me know if I misunderstand you.  I believe that you hit the quote button, at the bottom of the post you wish to quote, and then remove what you do not need, as I have just done.  Correct?

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users