Photo

Raw Food For Your Puppy?? What Are You Feeding And How Much?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 jess12625

jess12625

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

Yes, those are good suggestions. I already do the wait and even "gentle" when taking something out of my hand. He seems to not growl if the food is cooked, it's just when it's raw. I think I'm going to start feeding him some raw out of my hand, that I haven't tried. Our dog trainer in PK says to take the bowl away and return it with something yummy so they begin associating you with the source of food. Guess it's the same concept that you are talking about. BUT, is this a big deal? Is it a sign of early aggression that I'm going to have to constantly maintain through his life? I guess I don't know how to gauge the severity of this... I know it's a normal K9 behavior. But I've just never owned a dog that growled at ..... me! Also, b/c I have a toddler. Thanks for the advice.

You might try sharing something cooked with him. Make him wait and watch you, until you are ready to give him a bite, and then wait again, for the next one.

Like you, I always made sure I could take the food away. Good that you haven't let it go on too long.

The other thing I can think of, right away, is the wait command. I make the little guy wait until I release him, before he can eat--bowl on the ground, and dog waiting. I don't make him wait too long, but he does wait even when I get lax and forget.

I also feed a bite by hand. There's another idea: feed him a few bites by hand, until he gets the idea that YOU are the source of the food, not the bowl or the bountiful universe.

#22 linda

linda

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • Interests:gardening ,cooking, having BBQ'S .keeping busy , fleamarkets , Hanging out with my AID dogs

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

I would suggest to not give him the whole piece of chicken but put it in his bowl in peices like I will cut up up boneless chicken breast and mix with dry food same with beef if he is only pretective over that one thing change it up ,give it to him with out bones I know it good for them but there are other ways to give it to him iuseually remove what they would get aggressive with example I used to give my wolf dog raw hides but he would get to sggressive when he had them so so I gave them up all together and found other treats

Yes, those are good suggestions. I already do the wait and even "gentle" when taking something out of my hand. He seems to not growl if the food is cooked, it's just when it's raw. I think I'm going to start feeding him some raw out of my hand, that I haven't tried. Our dog trainer in PK says to take the bowl away and return it with something yummy so they begin associating you with the source of food. Guess it's the same concept that you are talking about. BUT, is this a big deal? Is it a sign of early aggression that I'm going to have to constantly maintain through his life? I guess I don't know how to gauge the severity of this... I know it's a normal K9 behavior. But I've just never owned a dog that growled at ..... me! Also, b/c I have a toddler. Thanks for the advice.

Linda Bell

#23 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3436 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hey Jess,
Try taking a strip of chicken and holding it in your fist leaving a tiny bit hanging out. Let your pup chew on the part that is hanging out. He will want to pull the rest out, but try not to let him. Let it out a small bit at a time. Keep doing this until the chicken is gone. It's pretty entertaining. He will get the picture. I have done this with Tolinka, and it worked for him. I also "share" bones with him like that. I just keep holding on while he chews. Now he brings them to me to hold for him while he munches away. With this said, when Tolinka finds a "raw treat" from the forest, that's a different story. I just turn my head because he was the one that found it, not me. He would become the artful dodger if I tried to take it away. Oh there was one time when he set the wild tasty treat down, I diverted his attention and got the little wild thing, and he did growl at me, but it was more like "not fare, that's mine" kind of growl, not the "I'm going to bite you" kind of growl. The other thing I have done is feed him his whole dinner out of my hand. This way he knows YOU are the food source. Good luck.
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#24 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

Our girl Mina gets half raw - half kibbie.
One meal consists of Natural Balance Potato/Duck kib
The other consists of 3/4 cup of raw coarse ground chicken quarter, 1/4c rolled oats, some greens (collards, lettuce, dandelion etc) and something contrasting color like carrot or BNsquash. Topped with Solid Gold Seameal and sometimes flax.

This is really helping with her allergies!
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users