• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 claire

claire

• IIDOBA Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:31 PM

I'm glad it is not just my little girl, I was worried That I had a meanie on my hands. Whew that is a big relief!

#22 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:34 AM

Glad I found this thread! Little Wyot just turned 8 weeks today....WOW has he now gotten comfortable with his new home now that we've had him for a week. The little bugger is a tasmanian devil, usually does this at what I have come to call his "crazy dog hour", when he wants to run, jump, chew, and generally wreak havoc (he is playing, of course). He has enough toys- a thick rope, a deer antler with a natural leather lace tied to it, nice and thickly knotted, a bullyhorn (he loves it when he decides to chew and push and chase it), a ball, and of course, his pig's ear. BUT, the broom, boots, shoes, my shirt, hair, feet (ankles especially) is what he decides is best, and he is wild..I am calm, and try to redirect while playing, but he becomes a little too crazy. Finger down the throat, gags, and doesn't like it, but he's back...NO with loud claps usually makes him stop, look at me sorrowfully...and then...HE'S BACK, lol!!

I have gotten up, ignored him, and that usually works, but for a short period of time. Now that I have gated off the living room and a side bedroom off the mudroom, I can walk in there and ignore him, letting him whine. I'll try this more now and see what happens. I just tried the water bottle a half hour ago, and of course, my aim, which is usually not so good, went right into his mouth!!!  He was puzzled, and licked it, kind of liking it. Second squirt, with an emphatic NO, went on his nose, which made him try to shake it off, and settle down (we'll see how long this lasts...) My husband bought a small bull horn (not too loud, but enough to get his attention), and that stops him for a moment, but he goes right back...SMART little buggers!!

I will keep walking into the other room and ignoring if he does something unacceptable, and see how that works...otherwise, I will try the penny jar shaking next..

What an education on both sides! Amazing, though. He sleeps through the night 8-10 hours (!!!!) without a peep or a whine. I put him in his crate (which is his little one he came in, and now that I placed inside  the bigger crate, to prepare him for the eventual transition. I swear the little bugger's legs got longer this week.  :)

This is by far the best dog I've EVER had, and I love cuddling with him, too, and he loves it as well. Thanks for all the tips, and I too will look into those books mentioned.

Claire, wondering how your little girl is now? Hopefully you found what works, and I'm sure you are loving every minute of owning an AI pup, because all the work is definitely worth it.  :wub:

#23 Chinatola

Chinatola

Liliko'i & Kekona's Padre

• 1159 posts
  • Interests:Multiple business owner, father of two grown children, guitarist, amateur astronomer & husband of 30 years to my wonderful Julie Ann. Oh yeah...absolutely nuts about dogs!!

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:59 AM

Crazy dog hour you say?

Ah, zoomies.  Yes, I remember zoomies...

Zoomies happen all the time and for the most random of reasons which are known only to them because, after all, they're zoomies.

We've seen full on zoomage that lasted a full 45+ minutes and we've seen miniature zooms that lasted mere seconds.

The best zoomies are the ones that fly.  Airborne zoomies are a sight to behold.   Squint doesn't achieve near as much lift as she had in her youth but she can still work up some good velocity and, as her brother Waki would attest, she is equipped with the inherited gift of vas interitus in asino which, in Latin, means weapon of a$$ destruction which in itself is a spectacle the likes of which hasn't been seen since the glory days of Napoleon I'm sure.  

I'm not sure though if the lineage that produced this unique trait is from the Yukon with Lili's father Newkim but it's definitely familial in nature since the siblings do share this funny sort of defensive posturing thing.

The aftermath of an onset of Zoomatola is entertaining as well:

lilinap-2.jpg

Kekona is still very much a zoomer although at two years old now she's beginning to slow her zoomosity a bit.  She'll randomly turn on and roam the house seeking adventure but typically though this happens out in the yard or at the park.  She's a bit sporadic in length but makes up for it in passion and intensity.  Sometimes the Squint will engage in the zoom and other times she won't.  It's hard to tell whether it's annoyance or just a plain lack of interest from her when Blondie fires up.

Enjoy the zoomala, it's a unique dance that I'm not sure exists in other breeds.  It appears that they diminish with age but they don't truly ever go fully away.

Here's a moment of peace at the office which makes no sense whatsoever considering the topic of this post. Accidentally uploaded it under 8mm simulation so it's a little weird looking.

https://youtu.be/Pk-hCdZsgo4

Edited by Chinatola, 17 December 2016 - 08:01 AM.

Chinatola

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized.

--- Daniel Burnham

#24 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2306 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:24 AM

We call it bowling for Dolly.

#25 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

We call it bowling for Dolly.

Love it!

Crazy dog hour you say?

Ah, zoomies.  Yes, I remember zoomies...

Zoomies happen all the time and for the most random of reasons which are known only to them because, after all, they're zoomies.

We've seen full on zoomage that lasted a full 45+ minutes and we've seen miniature zooms that lasted mere seconds.

The best zoomies are the ones that fly.  Airborne zoomies are a sight to behold.   Squint doesn't achieve near as much lift as she had in her youth but she can still work up some good velocity and, as her brother Waki would attest, she is equipped with the inherited gift of vas interitus in asino which, in Latin, means weapon of a$$ destruction which in itself is a spectacle the likes of which hasn't been seen since the glory days of Napoleon I'm sure.  

I'm not sure though if the lineage that produced this unique trait is from the Yukon with Lili's father Newkim but it's definitely familial in nature since the siblings do share this funny sort of defensive posturing thing.

The aftermath of an onset of Zoomatola is entertaining as well:

attachicon.giflilinap-2.jpg

Kekona is still very much a zoomer although at two years old now she's beginning to slow her zoomosity a bit.  She'll randomly turn on and roam the house seeking adventure but typically though this happens out in the yard or at the park.  She's a bit sporadic in length but makes up for it in passion and intensity.  Sometimes the Squint will engage in the zoom and other times she won't.  It's hard to tell whether it's annoyance or just a plain lack of interest from her when Blondie fires up.

Enjoy the zoomala, it's a unique dance that I'm not sure exists in other breeds.  It appears that they diminish with age but they don't truly ever go fully away.

Here's a moment of peace at the office which makes no sense whatsoever considering the topic of this post. Accidentally uploaded it under 8mm simulation so it's a little weird looking.

https://youtu.be/Pk-hCdZsgo4

Zoomies!!! Yes, that's exactly what it's like...many more adventures and laughs to look forward to...He cracks me up when he does it, and yes, he LEAPS and seems to fly sometimes,lol!!! Unique amazing dogs.... :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users