• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:04 AM

Wyot is only just  over 4 months, and  WAIT  works pretty well(which he does, although you have to say it three times or so, because he runs a short distance, then stops, then repeats and looks back at us)  and THIS WAY definitely works, because I think he wants to see what is "this way", which is the direction we are going, and there might be something more interesting. TREAT really works well, but there was an occasion when what he was doing and what he wanted to do strongly outweighed the treat...<sigh> BUT, if I rustle a small bag of treats, he hears that even if a longer distance away than I want him to be, and he comes running- I believe he thinks he might be missing out on something really good, LOL! 

Granted, we go on trails in the woods, the big field behind our house...but, the trails are getting more traffic (tourists), and I was surprised that when people approached from the other direction, that he didn't just run off...we yelled the WAIT command, and he did, though his rump wanted so badly to leave the ground, and his tail couldn't stop brushing the snow in anticipation! He actually waited until the people were close enough, and then he went for it, not without us trying to discourage the jumping up (which we immediately tell people to not allow him to, and they are all amenable to it). I keep sort of pushing him down as I pet him, and slowly, I think he is getting that he won't get the attention unless he stops jumping.

We are socializing him with other dogs, one at a time, not at a dog park (not that there are any where I live, really), sometimes two or three in a social situation, and though he is eager and plays, he sometimes just goes into observation mode. He does well, so far.

We'll see as time goes on!

#42 Kuschel

Kuschel

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Married to my best friend, Camping, Swimming, Hooping, Hiking, Bicycling, Tattoos, and Burning Man.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that BeachWolf and I have the same puppy in different packages. Granted, I know they came from the same litter but the similarities are fascinating. Off-leash is not a thing right now. She has jet out of our door twice now through a busy parking lot and nearly gave me a heart attack with the cars going in and out of the complex - not to mention, she made it a game. Chase! (Which I just sat down with some chicken and she came.)

We've entered the "I know the command but I just don't feel like listening to you" side eye - to the point where Xochitl is refusing to even sit - in the house or outside. 

Hiking "season" has started in Austin and I would like to get her to be off-leash when we go to various swimming holes. It is imperative that she stays near (and preferably off leash) and I'm so worried - especially since we have rattlesnakes when you deviate too far from the path. 

I appreciate all of this fabulous advice though. You have no idea how much I rely on these forums to help direct the pup. I want to be as consistent as possible as early as possible.

@ Denise - It is good to know that Petco offers classes like that. When we're officially done with our puppy socialization classes, that is one I want to add to our to-do list.

More than anything I have to remind myself, "She is only 5 months old!" and "She is just a puppy!" (Even though she looks like a grown lady.)

“And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

#43 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Love for everything in the natural world! Living in the mountains, traveling, hiking, gardening, making my own herbal products, for people and animals alike.

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:59 AM

Kuschel, an E-collar might work well in your situation. I spoke to a lady that had a dog that I just was amazed sat amongst a small crowd of people (at our local brewery), and didn't really move from the side of one of her kids. She held a remote, and she told me that this works wonders. She just uses the vibrate mode, and has never had to resort to the shock...and the shocks go from mild to more. She said a command with the vibration has trained the dog to do as she said.

I ordered one, and will use it to train him to stay away from the road, and on trails as the tourist season starts to pick up.....he has not shown interest in chasing cars, but we live on a road that has seen an increase in traffic (we are set back a good couple of hundred feet), and since we got him, we trained him to only go in the back of the house (lots of woods there), or up the stairs which lead to the upper level where my garden is, and a five acre field.I usually put him on the leash, and make him sit, so he knows it is a priveledge to get unhooked from the leash, and I am in charge, not him. If I say UP...he immediately runs to the stairs, and knows he will have the field to run in. Interestingly, he waits at the top for me to catch up, lol!!! I guess it does matter what parents they had as to what temperament they get...the only time I get the side eye and the slippery escape,where he runs and flattens himself so I can't get him, is when he has gotten a hold of something that he knows is forbidden in the house. I eventually get him, but I cannot imagine the heart attack and anxiety you experience when you try to walk her off leash! Wyot will be 5 months in 3 days... Good luck, and I'm sure eventually she will get it. Smart little pups these ...... :P

Edited by KittynDoc, 08 March 2017 - 05:00 AM.

#44 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7737 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

What's the name of the e-collar?  Please tell us.

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#45 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

It is called Field trainer 425 by Sport Dog...I've watched the video on how to use it, and funny enough, Wyot, at 5 months, already can respond and do everything... EXCEPT the come here command when he is off leash and not paying attention because he is too busy doing something more interesting than coming for a treat (although he does eventually come, lol!) So, we shall see how this goes. I will also work on "heel" with him, as he tends to get very excited and walks ahead of me, either on leash or off....

#46 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7737 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

Field trainer 425 by Sport Dog

One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#47 BeachWolf

BeachWolf

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

The newest thing I use to get Zola back quickly every time on a walk in the woods or beach is a stick. I hold up the stick and offer it from a distance as a potential game and she comes running. She may know she's getting tricked but sticks make her lose her mind for anything else so for now I use the stick to get her leashed. I know I need to train her to actually listen to me, but I'm certain she will eventually as she is becoming SUCH A GOOD DOG! Seriously sweet and funny and at 6 months, quite mature in many ways. We just adore her sunny little personality.

Edited by BeachWolf, 11 April 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#48 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:47 AM

Wyot had a wonderful 6 month birthday yesterday!! It was 78 degrees up in the MOUNTAINS of NY....stick used to bring him running. NO way does that work now..I can just see the bubble above his head "I'm tracking something much more interesting than a stick..potentially, it could be a deer bone, some deer poop..." very occasionally does the raised stick work. He is better at recall, but the teenager in him is kicking in.. They truly are such good dogs, and so happy and funny, and in my case, Wyot loves to come for a cuddle. Sometimes when he is not sure of what is going on, or what he hears or sees, he goes to the door, barks a little, then comes and does a slight jump/tap on my lap or hip, then sits on my lap, or presses against my leg and waits, wanting reassurance. I LOVE this. 

It takes time, and just when you think you've got them trained....the little stinkers show you just how intelligent and independent minded they are! :wub:

#49 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

It looks like Coffey got the same Petsafe collar that Nakoma got.  Like Nytebyker, I tried it on me first and it is an irritation NOT a shock like electric fencing is.
It reminded me more of a tense unit with differing strengths.  I think I've had tense units used on me with more irritation as this never made my muscles twitch.

I think the new name being used is "Remote training collar" and that seems to fit at least the unit I bought.

I have 30 and 50 foot leads and used that with Tayamni but, well, the same training did not produce the same outcome with Coffey.
These dogs are individuals and that is one of the things I love so much about them!

Even though Tayamni will run off-leash, I'm not sure the RTC would be effective for her with her Therapy Dog personality.
She will benefit from more long leash work ... I need thinner long leashes so she doesn't wrap up on things.....

Edited by Denise E., 17 April 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#50 NorCal

NorCal

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:travel yoga hiking gardens family DOGS and water and my new buddy Zuni Blue

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:30 PM

I think we may be joining team Ecollar too---we had a great trip up the oregon coast and things were going great -Zuni was recalling to my whistle and even though he does not come all the way back he returns. But each day he got a little worse deciding to say hi to that dog first and then coming back ..and then on day 3 he was sniffing the rocks by the trail pretty far ahead of me and just made a left turn off the beach and up a hill towards the road...I think it was chipmunk smells but no amount of whistling my head off even made him look back. I caught him before things got dangerous BUT that was not a fun experience ! I want him to be able run free but not wherever he wants. He is a great dog and he can turn on the afterburners and go but I need to be able to get his attention too. Im glad to hear some are waterproof.

#51 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:59 AM

All of this is all too familiar and we're consulting a trainer. We've had one home visit that went well, we'll see how it goes from here. Seriously considering the shock collar. Fantastic, loving, super intelligent dogs, but wow, such an independent streak to go along with it! For the safety of the dog recall is so important. You do worry about them breaking away when there's traffic. The coyotes around here have it down...in Chicago they have learned to cross with the traffic signals, out here in the 'burbs, my daughter saw a coyote with a kill in it's mouth sit down at the curb of a busy road and wait for the traffic to clear before crossing. Kaposia? That prey drive sets her off and she still would chase cars if not on that leash.
"A life ain't much of a life without a dog in it, s'what I always said."
Dan Gemeinhart, The Honest Truth

#52 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:02 AM

All of this is all too familiar and we're consulting a trainer. We've had one home visit that went well, we'll see how it goes from here. Seriously considering the shock collar. Fantastic, loving, super intelligent dogs, but wow, such an independent streak to go along with it! For the safety of the dog recall is so important. You do worry about them breaking away when there's traffic. The coyotes around here have it down...in Chicago they have learned to cross with the traffic signals, out here in the 'burbs, my daughter saw a coyote with a kill in it's mouth sit down at the curb of a busy road and wait for the traffic to clear before crossing. Kaposia? That prey drive sets her off and she still would chase cars if not on that leash.

The return of the. e-collar strikes!! Wyot is going to be 2 in two weeks..he is a quiet, for the most part, calm dog. He still has a bit of a whining problem, but ignoring and emphatically telling him to stop usually works. We started using the e-collar on Kitchee (9 months now), and the sound and just seeing the collar sends both of the dogs into a tizzy, because it means " we are going out!!!!"....Wyot needs a bit of re-schooling on recall, as he has decided that listening to me whistling to get him back, etc. is just NOT working. He is going to go where he wants, come when he wants, and Kitchee, who comes when called, looks back to see where Wyot is, and then won't budge unless his brother is coming back...so, he sits there, looking at me, and looking towards where he has seen Wyot last.

One session with the e-collar, and not even pressing the button for the buzz....he's back to being an obedient dog, and comes when whistled or called to come home, come to me, etc...and Kitchee is right behind him. SO. It is well worth the purchase. They are smart, and associate the collar with- uh oh, I better listen. So now, I just put it on, take the remote, and just the visual and feel of the collar on him is enough to make him obedient on the recall! Good luck! ....and oh my, a coyote waiting for traffic to clear? LOL! Yep, our dogs would just go WHAT CARS???!!! I can catch them.....!

#53 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:19 AM

We are 4 classes in to an 8 class series (Obedience 101) and miracle of miracles, Kaposia is responding to recall! Even when she's out in the back yard off leash and doesn't really WANT to come, she does....slowly, reluctantly, but since learning the command she has not once ignored the command. This trainer does use high value treats as reward (not a bribe!) Timing is crucial...command, response, PRAISE, reward. We are now at the point of mixing it up with giving the treat as reward, sometimes yes, sometimes no, and will wean off the treats entirely soon, and always praise for a proper response. There are 6 other dogs in the class, which is a lot of distraction. Kaposia sometimes has a little trouble learning new things in class with all the distraction, but after a week of doing our homework the new behaviors become solid very quickly. The trainer does ask each dog/owner team to demonstrate the lessons from the previous week at the beginning of each class. Kaposia's always been a sweetheart of a dog, and we did do some basic training on our own, but refining the commands and behaviors is wonderful. All three of us are enjoying the classes. Last night one of the new commands was "leave it!" By the end of class, Kaposia could be trusted to ignore cubed turkey sitting on the edge of a folding chair if we said "leave it!" I'm really hoping that lesson is strong enough when the baby bunnies arrive next Spring!

#54 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

One funny observation with the classes...the other dogs are highly treat motivated. Kaposia on the other hand, does like the treats, but you can just see the gears turning in that little brain as she weighs her options before responding. She really thinks about it first. She does thrive more on the praise, responding with a big smile and bright eyes. She was especially pleased with herself, I think, on obstacle course night after accomplishing the ramp, swimming pool, walking on a wire grate, responding properly to a person in a moving wheelchair, and not panicking at a loud vaccum cleaner. After class, she's still smiling as we load her in to the van and lock her seat belt strap, but she's asleep by the time we get home....good times.

#55 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:57 AM

One funny observation with the classes...the other dogs are highly treat motivated. Kaposia on the other hand, does like the treats, but you can just see the gears turning in that little brain as she weighs her options before responding. She really thinks about it first. She does thrive more on the praise, responding with a big smile and bright eyes. She was especially pleased with herself, I think, on obstacle course night after accomplishing the ramp, swimming pool, walking on a wire grate, responding properly to a person in a moving wheelchair, and not panicking at a loud vaccum cleaner. After class, she's still smiling as we load her in to the van and lock her seat belt strap, but she's asleep by the time we get home....good times.

That's GREAT!!!!!
Kaposia is doing so well :)
Tayamni at about 3 1/2 stopped running away and I can walk her off-leash in the front yard. She is still treat motivated though because she stops at the treat jar every time she comes in from outside potty and I haven't given her a treat for that in years! Can't blame her for tryin'

#56 NorCal

NorCal

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:travel yoga hiking gardens family DOGS and water and my new buddy Zuni Blue

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:37 AM

That sounds like a really great class too --lots of challenges --great for the always thinking AID!!

#57 KittynDoc

KittynDoc

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:21 AM

:blink:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: training, tips, ai Dogs, puppies, off leash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users