Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Draco & Wicca's Adventures

"Wookie Warsongs" .... I feel a rock n roll band name coming on!! :)

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, friends and family, I have to make a confession.....   We have been far, far too busy. How busy, you may well ask.   Glad you asked. We've been so busy, that for the first time ever, I cam

Haven't purchased the Chinese herbs, yet.   We've a vet appointment coming up and will ask then. If we get no direct assistance from our vet then I'll go direct.   There's nothing immediate pushi

I did a quick search but didn't find any references I may have made back over the last few years to a family we've met several times in Edmonds while walking Draco & Wicca.   Started back a whi

Posted Images

"Wookie Warsongs" .... I feel a rock n roll band name coming on!! ;)

Hey Chinatola, what a great idea. Are you going to put this one together???????? :)

Hey Chinatola, what a great idea. Are you going to put this one together???????? B)

We're in!! ;)

Joan is a recreational drummer with her own digital drum kit.

I play a mean harmonica. Not necessarily good. Not necessarily even nice, but a mean harmonica! :)

Who are the other co-conspirators?

Dibs on the tambourines......oooooooh this could be really good. When is our first jam session? ooooohh, can the dogs sing with us? Ooooooooh, maybe they ARE the singers!

I know Debi, Soul's mom, has a hubby that plays all kinds of things.... :)

Maybe a Three Dog Night tribute band is in order here....? :)

Maybe a Three Dog Night tribute band is in order here....? :)

Hahahaha!

I was wrong; Wicca's two-week checkup was today not tomorrow...

She passed. We're good. There is still a four-week procedure but the Dr. emphasized again this morning that we are passed the critical part -- the healing has taken place. Now, it's just taking our time to let her build back up to full strength over a long period of time.

So,

Week One: increase walks to more thapotty pottty-walks still no more than 10-15 minutes at any one time; still no off-leash running on her own; no unsupervised wrestling with Draco, no stairs.

Week Two: All of the above again: if she has no set-backs, then increase the frequency and length of the walks; increase supervised wrestling but no jumping or use of arms; on-leash going up stairs; no down-stairs yet.

Week Three: Increase length of walks; no unsupervised running. On-leash upstairs; carry downstairs. Jumping up onto things is OK: jumping down off of things is not OK.

Week Four: Increase length and difficulty of walks (add hills). No unsupervised running. On-leash upstairs; slow, supervised on-leash downstairs.

~~~~

After her six week checkup, she can then begin some off-leash running and then really get in shape.

Draco_Wicca_shoulder.jpg

As you might be able to tell, this has brought the Draco & Wicca even closer together. I'm a bit tired so won't go in to the many stories I could tell of Draco gently sniffing Wicca's shoulders or laying for minutes on end grooming her or going and fetching her a toy or bone to chew on.

I could also tell stories about what a trouper Wicca has been, but maybe not tonight.

It's true -- this too shall pass. Thank you all for your warm thoughts and blessings.

More soon.

So glad you posted. I was looking over pictures from the last gathering, yesterday, and wondering how she was doing. The photos of Draco show him to be such a gentle giant, and Wicca is so absolutely cute. Looks like you made the right choice.

You realize the first time you let her off leash,.... Still, it is a gentle and soft yard. I can't see how you can keep their wrestling gentle? It's all about the front legs, whether they are hip-checking, or one on top of the other. Maybe stop that until the end?

Was she taped up at all? Or just coned?

So glad Wicca is doing well, and they are working with you not against you.. lol

These dogs are so amazing

I had to laugh at the worried/harried look on Draco's face in the picture.

He looks like a frazzled nurse.. :wub:

So glad you posted. I was looking over pictures from the last gathering, yesterday, and wondering how she was doing. The photos of Draco show him to be such a gentle giant, and Wicca is so absolutely cute. Looks like you made the right choice.

You realize the first time you let her off leash,.... Still, it is a gentle and soft yard. I can't see how you can keep their wrestling gentle? It's all about the front legs, whether they are hip-checking, or one on top of the other. Maybe stop that until the end?

Was she taped up at all? Or just coned?

Allison,

Wicca's slipped the leash once. She made a huge, swooping circuit around the yard and, on command, came screeching to halt in a solid sit. She was so HAPPY!! But, we have to minimize if not eliminate these "accidents" so we don't have an accident.

We've been working with Draco & Wicca -- they now do a form of "head-n-necks only" wrestling. They still vocalize their wookie warsongs full volume. When the action moves into the shoulders we break it up.

Interestingly, she was neither taped nor coned!

On each shoulder, there were two incisions about 1/4 inch long. In each incision were two stitches. They left about 1/4 inch of thread sticking up from the sutures, so it was being on constant alert for licking, nibbling sounds.

Wicca was very good at "leave it" prior to the surgery -- that's paid off. She could get a good half dozen licks in before we'd call her name and tell her No. She seemed good with that negotiated compromise!

It's about the front legs -- exactly. It's still a couple weeks out before she's allowed stairs. Then, it's on-leash and only going up. I'll be carrying her down stairs until almost Christmas.

The doctor also told us that for her six week checkup that we'd know if we even needed to come in. If there's no problem; there's no need for an appointment.

So, we are, essentially, now, on with her life. Between now and Christmas our focus is all about a gradual incline in activity until, four weeks from now, there will be no restrictions!!

Edited by Gib

I bet that will be one of the best Christmas presents that everyone can enjoy....freedom at last.

WaaaaaHoooooooo! :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
I bet that will be one of the best Christmas presents that everyone can enjoy....freedom at last.

WaaaaaHoooooooo! :rolleyes:

A few quick random notes.

The next big step will be allowing Wicca and Draco to go outside together without Wicca being tethered to someone!!

She's had the "runs", so all night long the last two nights every two hours she and I have gotten up to go out in the sub-freezing night.

Being not too big a deal on its own to take her outside, to make things somewhat more interesting, I stubbed (but didn't break) a toe on my left foot.

By the way, it was noticeably colder at 3:30am this morning than it was at 1:30am.

And, did you know that swollen, bruised toes feel the cold intensely?

~~~~

Well, we are through the most serious part of the recuperation regimen for Wicca. Of course, by her actions, Wicca thinks she's already done with it!

Two more weeks. What's next?

We just started letting her climb up stairs -- slowly and very controlled. No downstairs yet -- too much pressure on the shoulders. We'll start controlled downstairs at the very end of her 6 weeks.

Increasingly, let the two dogs wrestle in the house -- not outside yet as they would tend to "get their run on".

Extend the walks to more than just potty walks. Extend walks up to 30 minutes round trip.

Next week we'll get to let her and Draco have some off-leash time in our yard -- which is definitely large enough for them to run.

We are gradually building strength and endurance.

The December 19th is the official 6 week point, at which, if all seems well enough, she will be free.

And one of her presents is Draco's brother, Rocco, is coming to stay a few days for Christmas. What a madhouse that's going to be: two grandkids, three AI Dogs and lots of happy adults!!

~~~~

Interesting that Wicca will come off her restrictions and just a day or two later each day will begin having more light!!! Yet another symbolic Solstice.

Glad you posted. I was wondering.

Sorry to hear about your toe. I feel for you. Sprained my ankle this last week. Ouch.

Being not too big a deal on its own to take her outside, to make things somewhat more interesting, I stubbed (but didn't break) a toe on my left foot.

Gib, I've messed up toes more times than I can count. I don't know how many times I've broken one, and that 'stubbing' can change that toe forever, and cause a change in your gait and range of motion. It sounds like a silly thing to see a doctor about, but I waited too long to see a podiatrist when I nailed a toe last Christmas, and it didn't heal right.

Once I dislocated a baby toe - it was at a 90º angle from my foot. They got it back in place, but couldn't get the joint back in. So, another immobilized toe.

If it doesn't improve noticeably by next week, go to the doctor. Sorry to sound like your Mom.

Sorry to sound like your Mom.

I love that about you. Sometimes it is needed.

I haven't been on the forum as much lately, but I just had to check back in and see how Wicca was doing! I am so happy to hear that she is sailing through her recovery (I hope the past month went by as fast for you guys as it did for me). May the next two weeks zip by as fast as Wicca's zoomies will be at the end of them.

So sorry about your toe though..

May the next two weeks zip by as fast as Wicca's zoomies will be at the end of them.

Now there's a sentiment I can get behind. :rolleyes:

I haven't been on the forum as much lately, but I just had to check back in and see how Wicca was doing! I am so happy to hear that she is sailing through her recovery (I hope the past month went by as fast for you guys as it did for me). May the next two weeks zip by as fast as Wicca's zoomies will be at the end of them.

So sorry about your toe though..

My toes fine. OK, it's still sore but not broken and doesn't seem to be hindering my walking the dogs and it didn't get me out of any of my chores! (Karen, I'm 63 years old, but that doesn't mean I don't need a Mother's good advice from time to time! Thank you.)

11 days to go for the 6 week recuperation period.

Wicca has been climbing stairs for almost a week now. Next week we'll introduce slowly descending stairs -- on leash or she'd probably jump down them all at one time!

We've been letting her go off-leash a bit by herself, but not if Draco is around. If he was there, the two simply couldn't be able to keep from running. So, next week will also be introducing letting Wicca and Draco have some off leash play time together -- finally.

By the time the mother-in-law, the kids & grandkids and Rocco get here for Christmas, she'll be cleared to go.

Thus, in some pretty practical terms, we are passed the crucial healing period. Another short period of caution and we'll be through this.

What's next? ZOOMIES!!

You and Joan have done a fantastic job Gib. This has been a long recovery period with the breaks constantly on Wicca. I can just imagine Wicca, when she realizes her breaks are finally released...... she'll probably take a nano second to look at you as if to say, "Are you sure?" before she does her twirlies of excitement. The mental picture of those hind legs finally being able to dig in, butt tucked, ears back, as she takes off zigging here, zagging there, and becomes a blurrrrrrrrr... :rolleyes: Let the count down begin. ....Happiness is a dog full of ZOOMIES.... :lol:

You and Joan have done a fantastic job Gib. This has been a long recovery period with the breaks constantly on Wicca. I can just imagine Wicca, when she realizes her breaks are finally released...... she'll probably take a nano second to look at you as if to say, "Are you sure?" before she does her twirlies of excitement. The mental picture of those hind legs finally being able to dig in, butt tucked, ears back, as she takes off zigging here, zagging there, and becomes a blurrrrrrrrr... :rolleyes: Let the count down begin. ....Happiness is a dog full of ZOOMIES.... :lol:

Howl-A-Lujah!!

I second this and Gib I would love to see:

"she'll probably take a nano second to look at you as if to say, "Are you sure?" before she does her twirlies of excitement. The mental picture of those hind legs finally being able to dig in, butt tucked, ears back, as she takes off zigging here, zagging there, and becomes a blurrrrrrrrr... :lol: Let the count down begin. ....Happiness is a dog full of ZOOMIES.... :wub:"

that on video!!!!