Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Denakka Growing Up

Gramot , glade to hear your little boy is doing better its hard when we cant figure it out ,

As i always say I never stop being amazed with these dogs its ggreat to watch them free running and playing and doing what they do best playing and interacting with children Malachi LOves the kids if ones around he has to be next to them or at least check them out . good luck and have fun

Linda and the boys

The story of Denakka and his left ear not standing up.....

As it turns out, a few weeks ago Denakka developed a cough. He'd coughed more than I thought was normal almost from the beginning and I had it checked out several times in the past but he checked out really healthy, and the cough was occassional, so the vet and I decided to just give it time. But a few weeks ago the cough was worse and more persistent, so back to the vet we go. He still checked out perfectly--lungs, heart, temperature, etc., but the vet put him on a light antibiotic. A week later--no change. We changed to a stronger, fuller spectrum antibiotic--started that last Wednesday. Now, five days later, the cough is GONE and along with that, both ears are up and strong! In the future, will a floppy left ear indicate when he's not feeling 100%???? It'd be nice to have a visual indicator like that since he doesn't seem to show it any other way.

I think the poor little guy has had a low grade infection for much of the time I've had him. I think it took so long to really show itself because he is basically so strong and healthy. Of course, that's completely a guess.

And two other big things in his life.

The invisible fence. He has graduated to being free in the front yard which he loves. He was out yesterday while I split wood. He'd bring me his ball on occasion and I'd give it a throw. Sometimes he'd just get up and start running as fast as he could all around the yard...beautiful and graceful. He took naps, he watched the world go round. I think he loved it as much as I did.

By the way, thanks to everyone who gave me advice about Denakka's ear not coming up. After some thought and reading everyone's advice, I'd decided not to do anything at all and just enjoy Denakka the way he was/is! The floppy ear was very endearing and if it returns, I'll know he's either very tired or possibly sick!

My six year old granddaughter, Sammy.

She spend the night this weekend and they were amazing together. Denakka is still a little much for my 3 year old granddaughter, but Sammy and Denakka are best friends. They played chase; they rolled down my hill together. Sammy was upset that Denakka ALWAYS wins the races! Lots of laughing and giggling and tails wagging. Priceless. They are definitely pals. I should have taken pictures to share but I was having way too much fun just watching the frolicking!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How interesting about the ear! It does make sense though, if one assumes that the body is dedicating its extra strength reserves to fighting infection rather than less dire needs like stronger ear cartilage.

"Sometimes he'd just get up and start running as fast as he could all around the yard...beautiful and graceful."

I can't help but smile at this for I have seen it so many times here with Tamarack. It always reminds me of watching birds flit around in the air seemingly for the sheer joy of it, which is, I suppose, why I refer to it in my mind as 'flying'.

So glad you posted about this electric fence. I hope to use it, and hope it will work as well with my older dogs.