Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Last spring my dog Jesse presented with head tremors for about 2 1/2 days, I contacted Kim to see if he had seen it in any of his other dogs and he shared that after worming one had shown a similar thing after receiving worming medication, I believe he said Ivermectin but am not positive on that. I had wormed Jesse some time before his tremors but couldn't remember exactly when. Some herding breeds carry a gene mutation called MDR1 that causes them to be extremely sensitive to some drugs (Ivermectin, Loperamide and some anti-cancer medications) and my vet suggested I have him tested to see if he carries the gene. The test is available through Washington State University and is a simple swab test. I had both my dogs, Kai and Jesse, tested and was very pleased with the result that they DO NOT carry the MDR1 mutation! Yay!

Just more proof that these are absolutely the perfect dog!

• Like 4

i cant prove anything and my vet said no but I think Zuni had a reaction to Trifexis....there are some nasty strong drugs being passed out and I now pay extra attention to zuni after vaccines drugs etc....just my 2 cents

• Like 2

They definitely can react to vaccinations and oral flea/ tick meds, even ones they have been ok with in the past. My vet always advises to watch them for a day after and bring them back if they crash to hard or act weird. Waki did have a head tremor once but the vet thought it might have been an electrolyte imbalance. I gave him gator aid I think. Can't remember. Anyway it stopped and hasn't happened since. Been a few years now.

• Like 2