Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Well, we have had Lola for a little over a week now, and she is proving to be much more of a challenge than I thought. Compared to my last dog, Chimay, who was smart yet sweet and docile, Lola is smart and strong willed.

We are using crate training which is working, but potty training is no where near over.

The biggest issue is the biting. Where Chimay wanted to lick my face, Lola wants to bite my face (two days ago, she drew blood from my cheek). When she is praised, or interacted with in any way, Lola goes into biting mode. When reprimanded, she is completely without remorse. If I take her down hard by the scruf of the neck, she cries and tries to bite me at the same time.

The dominating massage techniques in "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete seem to be showing some results in mellowing her out, but if anyone has any advice for us, that would be great.

Thanks,

Jerry

all I can say is stay strong and do not let her cries weaken you dont give up

Well, we have had Lola for a little over a week now, and she is proving to be much more of a challenge than I thought. Compared to my last dog, Chimay, who was smart yet sweet and docile, Lola is smart and strong willed.

We are using crate training which is working, but potty training is no where near over.

The biggest issue is the biting. Where Chimay wanted to lick my face, Lola wants to bite my face (two days ago, she drew blood from my cheek). When she is praised, or interacted with in any way, Lola goes into biting mode. When reprimanded, she is completely without remorse. If I take her down hard by the scruf of the neck, she cries and tries to bite me at the same time.

The dominating massage techniques in "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete seem to be showing some results in mellowing her out, but if anyone has any advice for us, that would be great.

Thanks,

Jerry

Thanks,

Jerry

Hi Jerry!

Its Judy K from Michigan. We have had six AIDS and they are extremely strong willed but you cannot let them win. You are doing good in flipping and holding her but hold her until she stops crying - wear a glove if you must! Don't be frustrated she's still a young pupppy. Another tip a very loud NO is another course of action. Don't expect house training to be done in a week - like I said she's still a puppy - just give her a chance to get used to her new surroundings - the house is much different than going anytime she wants in the pen at Kim's. Just remember everything he told you about tough love. The first few months are the most difficult in training but in a few months it will be well worth it. Don't be discouraged.

She's got to know that YOU are the alpha in the family not her!!!

Thanks,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I had a similar problem with Tolinka. When I would punish him like the monks, he thought it was all a game. Go figure. I tried putting him in a submissive position on the ground, belly up, and tried to calm him by rubbing his tummy. He went back for more nits. I tried placing him sitting between my legs, gently rubbing his chest to calm him. I tried tough love by ignoring him, I tried pinching his lip, (I know that sounds cruel) all the time telling him "No biting." He just came back for more. He would jump towards me as if to challenge me. I put him on the leash with slip chain, and when he jumped up, I would put him down with an affirmative tug on the leash. Other times I gave him a loose leash while stepping on it so he couldn't jump up and nip. If he did, he would find he could only jump so high and not high enough to nip...Needless to say, I thought I was in a loosing battle with this otherwise wonderful animal. I finally figured out there were a couple of things happening.

1. When he got really excited his pupils would dilate, and that ment he was already out of control.

AND......

2. He needed a nap just like a child after throwing a temper tantrum.

OR

3. there was too much stimulation going on for him to process at one time. They are soooo sensitive.

OR

4. He wanted something like food, play, attention, etc.

OR

5. He would do this behavior to let me know he was frustrated

Now all I had to figure out what he wanted. Usually it was to play or a nap. Well, we all know you can't play 24/7 with these guys, right, as much as we would like to. So, I started reinforcing him when he licked my hand saying "kiss, kiss, I like those kisses, good boy" as I would barely touch him while stroking his back and chest. I know it sounds stupid, but strangely enough he finally got it. WHEW!

It takes a bit of time and training. Hopefully this will help. Tolinka has turned those demanding nips into friendly flea bites and licks which is o.k. by me. The friendly flea bites are saying 'pay attention to me." On rare occasion he will still jump up and nip at my jacket when he wants to play, but when I say "down" and he does, and I praise him. It works 99% of the time. Mind you he rarely does this anymore. I truly believe it is because I have learned to communicate with him and he with me. He is 7 months and the light of my life outside of grand kids and my own children. He is extremely well behaved......now. Oh another thing i did was to put Tolinka on the leash and walk him where ever I went for the day. It was great for both of us because I really learned about the pup, and he about me. This was NOT a control walk, it was a partnership walk where by we both took each other places we wanted to go (however I picked the path). As a matter of fact, we still do this "walk."

p.s. I think this is a dominance game that some pups play. Testing, testing, testing. They are strong willed little guys, and sometimes won't take no for an answer. BUT "no" is what they have to learn.

If I can think of more later, I'll let you know. Just remember, they are just puppies, and they are trying to see where they fit into the pack. Just like a child, everything they experience right now is for "the first time" and can be a bit overwhelming. Lola will turn into a wonderful partner and companion when she figures this all out. No one said it was going to be easy raising children, and pups are so much like children in so many ways. One day, all of a sudden, her attitude will change and you'll become best friends.

Believe me the challenge is TOTALLY worth it. :rolleyes:

Don't think you are the only one who got an AID that wasn't instantly housebroken! Everyone raved and raved, and Danza took ages. I knew it wasn't me, but it was still frustrating. Use the crate a lot - a lot. It should help with both housebreaking and with your frustration level with your interactions with her.

It seems hard for me to believe that I worried about her bonding with me. I had to do so much of the dominance stuff that didn't come naturally to me, and she was so centered on our older dog, that I had to teach her to look me in the eye. She loved training and we spent a lot of time on that the first few weeks, which really helped, since it was fun for both of us. But it was over and over again with the pinning her down, growling at her, establishing my authority. Now, she wouldn't dream of challenging any of us for position. She is a delight. Her "spot" is by my left knee, unless the other dog has gotten there first.

I feel your "pain", literally. As others have stated, stay firm. Soul still has his nipping moments (and he's almost 10 months old), but it is nowhere as near as bad as it was. Get her lots of chew toys and when she bites at you, tell her firmly NO (I also use the bad finger sweep, you know, like "shame on you") and then put a chew toy in her mouth and once she bites that a few times, praise. That worked with Soul...for awhile! :rolleyes:

The next step is the nipping at your face and "talking back". There's a thread somewhere where (I think) Gerald talks about "dog speak". It looks funny and when done in front of others, they will think you have lost it - but it works with the headstrong pups! I curl my lip and snap my jaws at Soul and he instantly goes into the less dominant, legs tucked under ears sideways, pity puppy eyes!

I did find that Soul needs much more play than any other dog that we have ever had - and that's good - because that is what we asked for! He has to have his daily walk or else the next day is terrorizing! Even a walk around the yard and playing in the 2 foot of snow we have works. Remember, the more you wear them out, the less dominant they become (at least that worked with Soul).

They are a joy and a challenge...but we wouldn't have it any other way! Good luck! Wubbas from Petco work good!!!

The mother snarls and growls, to keep those pups in line. She doesn't hurt them, but she puts on a show. You can hold that little mouth closed, and do the same. It only took a few days of trading toys into my pup's mouth, before he stopped biting me. A few days at about 50 times a day. Don't bite me, bite this... over and over. Then we'd have a little tug of war. Soon he was bringing the toys over on his own.

She's testing you, big time. Hard to imagine the little sweetie could be so conniving.

Thanks all for the excellent advice and support. It helps to read about others' similar experiences. It gives me hope. I really do have the utmost confidence that she will be a great dog and a true friend.

We have been using the "replace my flesh with this chew toy" trick. It's starting to work now that she has a toy she likes ( a squeaky stuffy).

Lola is also starting to learn the word "NO". I can't wait to try the lip curl/snarl trick.

I also found that I was praising her too vigorously, it was riling her up. She is needing absolute calm in our approach. Just this evening, Lola is starting to roll over on her back and submit.

Thanks again for the wisdom,

-Jerry

Lola is very sneaky

-Sophia

Hey, Jerry. I woke up in the night and remembered that not only toys, but those hard puppy chew sticks, bully boys, etc., I kept around. Probably 6 of them around the house. Toys were the second choice in the beginning. A little of that awful flavor got his attention, and helped him to know the difference between me and chew-ables.

Hey, Jerry. I woke up in the night and remembered that not only toys, but those hard puppy chew sticks, bully boys, etc., I kept around. Probably 6 of them around the house. Toys were the second choice in the beginning. A little of that awful flavor got his attention, and helped him to know the difference between me and chew-ables.

Thanks, we are using bully sticks with moderate success .

Okay. I liked what you said about excessive praise. My dog never did respond well to that--at least not from me. We also went with a more calm and quiet approach.

It has proved useful in some very fun and subtle ways.

I got very lucky with Boulder... He had Breuer to train him.

Boulder was never a nippy pup, because he tried on Breuer several times, and Breuer let him know better. Also Breuer potty trained Boulder in no time, I only had 2 number 2 accidents in the house, and only a handful of wets in his crate (just couldn't quite make it)

Why am I saying this? :)

If you take on the role that Breuer did you should be able to have great success too.

If your pup is biting to hard, grab his scruff firmly and flip him over. Kim told me a little squeal as a pup will go a long way. One squeal will save a handful of nagging corrections down the road. When Breuer is done with Boulder's Pestering he lets him know, generally there is a squeal and then they both go lay down together (no hard feelings).

Be firm with the crate as well, Boulder was crate trained basically on the way home from picking him up. (3 day trip). I'm a believer in NEVER using the crate as punishment or time out. Make it a positive experience, feed your pup in their, etc. Both of my dogs love the crate, alot of times I'll catch them going into the back room just to lay down away from everything. If I grab the chicken from the fridge, they both run down to their crates. When I grab my jacket in the morning, they run down to their crates (they know they'll get a little dog snack before I leave)

The first couple months with Boulder I kept him in the crate almost all day. There were many sleepless nights (small bladder on these guys) but I know it was worth it.

Take him out to wet (if you have a specific place you'd like them to go potty put them on a leash, and take them to the same spot everytime, uttering "hurry potty")

Let him run around a bit.

Then back to the crate. If he fusses, you can't give in, if it lasts more than 15 minutes or so, you can take them out for potty again, but in most cases they'll settle down after a few minutes.

I don't claim to be an expert, but this method worked for me. And yes I owe most of it to Breuer for being a good older brother and mentor :)

Kim told me a little squeal as a pup will go a long way. One squeal will save a handful of nagging corrections down the road.

Good advice.

Boulder was never a nippy pup, because he tried on Breuer several times, and Breuer let him know better. Also Breuer potty trained Boulder in no time, I only had 2 number 2 accidents in the house, and only a handful of wets in his crate (just couldn't quite make it)

If you take on the role that Breuer did you should be able to have great success too.

If your pup is biting to hard, grab his scruff firmly and flip him over. Kim told me a little squeal as a pup will go a long way. One squeal will save a handful of nagging corrections down the road. When Breuer is done with Boulder's Pestering he lets him know, generally there is a squeal and then they both go lay down together (no hard feelings).

Be firm with the crate as well, Boulder was crate trained basically on the way home from picking him up. (3 day trip). I'm a believer in NEVER using the crate as punishment or time out. Make it a positive experience, feed your pup in their, etc. Both of my dogs love the crate, alot of times I'll catch them going into the back room just to lay down away from everything. If I grab the chicken from the fridge, they both run down to their crates. When I grab my jacket in the morning, they run down to their crates (they know they'll get a little dog snack before I leave)

The first couple months with Boulder I kept him in the crate almost all day. There were many sleepless nights (small bladder on these guys) but I know it was worth it.

Take him out to wet (if you have a specific place you'd like them to go potty put them on a leash, and take them to the same spot everytime, uttering "hurry potty")

Then back to the crate. If he fusses, you can't give in, if it lasts more than 15 minutes or so, you can take them out for potty again, but in most cases they'll settle down after a few minutes.

I don't claim to be an expert, but this method worked for me. And yes I owe most of it to Breuer for being a good older brother and mentor :)

Thanks, We are training in such a manner, and it seems to be working.

TaylorRichie, so is it really possible to train pup to potty in a designated place? Exactly how does that work? Can dogs really learn to potty on command? I've also heard that sniffing is not at all necessary when trying to find a place to go to the bathroom. I'm interested to try this, as I've never trained a dog to potty on demand, but at 3am in subzero weather it seems well worth it!

Yes. It is possible. Coyo will go on command, and leave off, too.(Useful on neighbors new trees, etc.) We started with the Monks of New Skete, and their "Art of Training A Puppy". They describe the technique in detail.

It involves a combo of feeding at the same time, and taking your dog out, to go, at the same time, and to the same place. In other words, establishing a rhythm, that the pup can rely on, and then using the words that you choose. Eventually your dog will know from your words, and associate them with doing his business. It comes in very handy when time is short, and you need him to wait in the truck/be empty/ or what have you.

We say, "let it go", but Coyo also knows, "let it all go", and knows he cannot dawdle, and will have to wait for a while. He is excellent in this regard, and I have always been glad for the time I spent. And truly, it was not long, as there are opportunities, multiple times in the day, to reinforce your wishes, and both of you are extremely motivated.

Forgive me for jumping in, here, I know you were asking Richie.

Last thing, we travel a lot. I can say, "Do you need to let it go?" And he gives me the expression that we have agreed, means "yes". It is pure communication, and very useful.

Hey Jerry,

Not to stray off topic but hope you guys faired well with that 6.5 earthquake. So far I've heard mostly minor damage. How did your pup react? My dog Cassie felt a few earthquakes while we were up there, but none nearly that strong, so she doesn't think it's any big deal.

Hey Jerry,

Not to stray off topic but hope you guys faired well with that 6.5 earthquake. So far I've heard mostly minor damage. How did your pup react? My dog Cassie felt a few earthquakes while we were up there, but none nearly that strong, so she doesn't think it's any big deal.

Lola was quite shaken up by the quake. She ran and hid under the deck. It took over an hour to coax her out. She was very timid and was shaking. She is just now starting to be her normal rambunctious self. The cats reacted about the same

We fared a little better. Compared to other friends of ours in the area, we sustained only minor damage. Some nik-naks fell of the shelves, and all the pictures want asque, but that's about it.

power was out in most of the town, and the stores closed due to broken windows and things flying off the shelves. One acquaintance's chimney collapsed. The TV stations were dead. There was a tsunami warning, but no tsunami (thank goodness).

Yeah luckily it was almost pure lateral motion, so no tsunami. I lived in the Bottoms for a couple of years, always wondered if I should invest in a canoe in case the big one hit :)

I remember the 1989 Loma Prieta quake, our dog at the time escaped through some locked sliding glass doors that had been forced open, and she hid in the bushes for a long time. Good thing too because there was glass everywhere, and furniture knocked over. I'm a geologist and it took me years to get to get to the point where I could stay calm during smaller quakes. The big ones stay with you for a while.

Glad everyone's OK. Humboldt has been very fortunate to have no major injuries. That would not have been the case in many parts of the world!

Can't imagine what you guys thought and felt during those quakes! Glad all is well!!! Take care!

I was outside mowing the lawn and didn't even notice it. I lost my balance, but I figured it was because I was pushing a lawnmower up a hill. All of a sudden I realized that everyone in the neighborhood was outside their houses.

Back on topic; Lola is getting much better. She understands the word "no" as well as "come" and "sit". She is mellowing out somewhat (which isn't saying mush). She now licks my face sometimes instead of biting it. She also roles over and submits regularly. I do have two questions:

What does it mean when your puppy will not look you in the eye?

Also, We have a young cat that want's to be friends with Lola, but Lola acts very aggressive with the cat. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I had the same problem with snake when I got him kim said for a sumisive to look an alpha straight in the eyes was disrespectful you have to let her know its ok as far as the cat goes I would tell lola to play or be easy does the cat have claws cause eventually the cat will put her in her place when the cat has has enough abuse my pug and cat wrestle all the time when my pug gets to rough he lets her know it but Lola must be taught to respect the cat as an elder I want to say the cat was there first pack order always

I was outside mowing the lawn and didn't even notice it. I lost my balance, but I figured it was because I was pushing a lawnmower up a hill. All of a sudden I realized that everyone in the neighborhood was outside their houses.

Back on topic; Lola is getting much better. She understands the word "no" as well as "come" and "sit". She is mellowing out somewhat (which isn't saying mush). She now licks my face sometimes instead of biting it. She also roles over and submits regularly. I do have two questions:

What does it mean when your puppy will not look you in the eye?

Also, We have a young cat that want's to be friends with Lola, but Lola acts very aggressive with the cat. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I swear you have Soul's twin! Bwahahaha

Eyes: We had that same problem with Soul - so here is what I did: Started with small treat and made him "sit". Put treat up by my face and stated "Look at me". When he stared at the treat - I gave it to him. Took about 2 weeks - daily - and now he will look at me on command AND listens.

The alpha in me now makes him look at me until he looks away - that's when he knows he's in trouble. It will subside...our only problem now is when we have guests...he gets so riled up - but the leash is working better than the time outs did for that little "bad habit".

As for the cat - we had the same problem - and it took about a month to break him from breaking the cat. Our cat was almost as big as Soul (he passed away a couple of months ago) and wouldn't take too much - he knew how to run away or sneak attack. We figure its from the pack play before Soul came to us - he likes to play rough!

We took him aside when he got to rough and told him "nice" and then gently nipped at his sides without getting him riled up. It eventually worked. Until the cat decided he wanted to play rough! Bwahahaha

Here is the best advice I can give you...and others will agree - these little ones are like toddlers. Repetition and award work well as well as stern voices, time-outs, and regular routine. I am confident you will see changes in her every day! Soul is headstrong, but all in all eager to please! Once he sees we aren't happy with him - he does his best to make it right!

I did the same thing with her looking me in the eye, but I waited awhile, at least two months. Then I just used the word "look!" and put the treat between my eyes. Now I say it and her head snaps around, it is funny. It works way better than "come". I actually used the word to re-train my sister's beligerant dog to come when he was completely ignoring the command.

Use one-word (one syllable) commands whenever possible, unless giving two-part commands.

Edit - I wanted to add, I showed her the treat, saying, calmly, look, and dragged her eyes to my face with the treat. Then when the treat was between my eyes and she was actually looking at me I said "Look!" and gave it to her. It took a day for her to learn. I knew she'd gotten it when her eyes jumped to mine before the treat got there.

Edited by Karen