Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

I was walking with Sitka, yesterday, and we had two black labs, with hunting collars run at us.

Well, you know the hardest thing is to let go of the leash, but that is what you have to do. You want to pull them close, but this makes it impossible for them to defend themselves.

So I let go of the leash and yelled the one word that all dogs know, "NO". I yelled it over and over until the dogs left him, and then there was another running down the road, trying to catch up to the others, and I yelled "NO" , and this one turned around and ran back.

Very soon we saw the hunters with the last dog on a leash, and I said, "If you are looking for your other dogs, they attacked my dog, and then turned right, down that street."

He never said sorry, or thank you, or anything.

At least he was looking for his dogs.

Sitka was awesome. He got attacked, but stayed with me, and held it together.

People, though, what can you do. We saw them a couple blocks over, and I motioned, can't you hear that barking? That's where your dogs are. What the heck, go get them. People.

Idiots.

• Like 1

We've been through that a couple times- horrifying

Is Sitka ok? (watch for abscesses, after the fact) (been there, surgeried that) (no the other owner refused to acknowledge ANY responsibility at all)

• Like 2

Omgosh :o !! Scary ! And here I'm worried about all the Coyotes around here when walking Tehya and some Bear sitings ! I would be so upset if it was someones pets/ hunting dogs, how rude ! Those dogs are very unsafe animals to attack your dog while with you......

• Like 2

This is, without doubt, my biggest fear. So far we've been lucky while hiking and have not had any serious incidents, but I also bike them quite a bit and that's when things get a little scarier. We often bike on roads and when we do, I have both dogs hooked up on pretty short lines on the right side of my bike to keep them safely on the side of the road - which works exceptionally well and they trot happily along beside me for as long as I can go. But if we ever run across an off leash dog I can't get off my bike fast enough to unhook my dogs before the dog is upon us, which means my dogs have literally no wiggle room to get away or defend themselves. Usually everyone touches noses, and then we move on with our lives, but we have had one notable incident where a full size shepherd with no collar, leash, harness, nothing came flying out of a yard, circled around, and aggressively nipped Tamarack in the rear. Thankfully the owner was in the yard too and came running over to try to catch his dog (which of course was difficult as he had nothing to grab), but he then berated me for riding by his house that has beware of dog posters. I reminded him that this was a public road, and he just responded with a disgusted 'yes' and dragged his dog inside. Needless to say we stick to main roads now, which is a shame because the back roads are much less worrisome with car traffic.

I will say that in every sketchy dog related incident we've been involved in, my dogs have impressed me by staying cool and not responding aggressively in return. Tamarack has been attacked several times (I think his confidence is off-putting to insecure dogs), including once by a wolfdog, and never once has he fought back but rather remains calm and waits for the humans to take care of the situation.

I'm glad you and Sitka are okay. I know I would be pretty shaken up for days after such an incident.

• Like 6

Parenthood and dog ownership...if only there were a REQUIRED class before you could be entrusted with a child or a dog. Wish we'd taken Kaposia to class sooner. We did a lot of Kim's suggested reading and had done alright, but the class was really enlightening, especially one entire evening devoted to dog safety and what to do if your dog is attacked or in a fight. Kaposia was attacked and bitten by a shepherd while we were out on a walk. No breaks in the skin, but the vet said to watch the area anyway, as these are most often "crushing" type injuries and can present problems later. Everything was fine. Hope Sitka is as fortunate. And yes...idiots...you can't seem to make a dent with stubborn inconsiderate idiots.

• Like 2

That night, as I was turning over in bed, Sitka got all bent out of shape, and was barking/growling that I had surprised him (which he never does). So he was a bit traumatized, but has recovered nicely, since. I will keep watch for any physical abnormalities, but I think he is good.

Nice to get it off my chest, to people that can understand.

Woodrat, the bike short leash thing, yikes. I can see it clearly.

A couple years ago, our city hall decided that they didn't want to pay for a dog-catcher anymore. It took a few months, but now people just let their dogs loose in the night. It's a recipe for disaster.

• Like 3

Oh Allison I am sorry. Hope your boy recovers in all ways.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Our last shepherd had dog aggression because of stupid people and their off lead dogs. He would go postal at the silhouette of a Lab. Got bit by off leads (mostly labs) as a pup too many times. Seriously way too many people with off lead dogs that have no business off lead - it's just lazy on their part - let the dog run out of eye site or in the city open the door and let it poo out of sight and unattended so the human doesn't have to clean up. We were in the city and we'd walk him on lead every day and about once a month we'd run into a situation. No avoiding it, we walked different routes. Totally get your city dilemma. This is especially bad for puppies.

We live in the country now, near a state park and it's been a little fashionable for people with mid to large breeds that aren't well enough behaved for the dog park to let them run loose on the trails. I pick unpopular times to go - and turn back if there are too many cars in the lot. Now I let the owners have it with both barrels. It may not cure them but at least I don't see them on the trail by my house again. Beware the crazy woman.

When my dogs were little I would pick them up. A charging dog might want a bit of my dog but most aren't looking to bite a human. When they got older I'd put my body in front of them or I'd find the owner and insist on leashing so we could pass. You can do this only if you are walking with a partner. If I'm by myself I'm just always looking and listening to see who might be coming up on us. And the thing is, what really pisses me off (excuse my french) I've learned from having a shepherd - people do see you and they do have time to change paths, wait, call their dog, leash their dog. They will do it because they fear my shepherd. They will be unbelievably polite. But if it's just the little dogs - they don't care.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 3

A little late coming into this thread....

Allison I hope Sitka is doing OK now. Emotionally and physically.

That is really scary!

I have to carry my pepper spray again when I start going out and about. Thanks for the reminder sschenck :)

I've never thought of Labs in that manner. I guess the better hunting dogs and the active high prey drive when out in the woods makes the difference.

Gotta watch the Pit bulls down here more than the Shepards. In certain neighborhoods the owners don't socialize away the dog aggression. Most keep their dogs on leash in yards. Never know when one will break loose though.

I am not against pitbulls or any breed. I can't stand the way people encourage the certain traits though. Guess that's another form of stupidity?

• Like 3

Glad to hear that everyone has recovered physically and emotionally from this incident. So sorry you had to go through this. The thing is, when we take our pups for a walk, we're also looking for peaceful moments outside of our homes with our pups.....enjoying nature. To constantly be on the alert because of Irresponsible dog owners, takes the "peaceful" out of our journey. The "walk" becomes stressful and NOT fun for anyone....the dogs feel our concerns. Irresponsible dog owners are a pain in the A$$ in more ways than one.

• Like 2

Well said, Miz M. And you are so right that the dogs "feel our concerns". That leash is like a telegraph line! It is difficult to maintain your cool, and not add to your dog's anxiousness. We are not all as confident and as athletic as Ceasar. :lol:

Still, we keep trying, and even though I am a bit hobbled, and was clearly telegraphing my concern, I could see that Sitka knew we were working together, and he was glad to have me by his side. Best compliment ever, right?

No more bad dreams, and he's just fine. It was just that first night.

You guys are the best.

I think it was Sherab who pointed out that they are not usually after people, so I just got my monkey freak on, and that did really help to scare them away.

I am sure the whole neighborhood heard me. Not too :ph34r:.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I like Ceasar and believe he has great energy. Calm assertive is a great way to be. I think we don't see the whole process though on TV (cut for commercials, etc.).

Would love to go to one of his boot camps! B)