Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Just a little update on our pup. Things have been alot busier since we got Chaska. He is adjusting well and learning the ropes around here. He has doubled his size in just the few weeks he has been here. I will try to get a few good pics to show the difference in just the last few weeks. He is very strong headed. With the training he does good about 50% of the time. The other 50 he seems to just ignore me. He is starting to disregard me when walking more now. He is pulling away from me to the side instead of straight ahead. We are working on that though.

He drinks like a fish too. He likes his water. I will have him weighed on our next vet visit and see where he is at. Well I just had a few minutes to write and will try to post a few pics later.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posing

Roy these little guys are the land and you are the water. You are making a canyon. Beautiful ruts of behavior take time and persistence. Sometimes the rock changes and becomes harder. Water always fin

Just thought I would put up a couple of pics. Can't get him to set still long enough for some good ones. Girls are starting to come around a little bit. My youngest is doing very good with him but sti

Posted Images

The little meathead decided to barrel through a sticktite (burrs) bush. Spent about a half hour picking them all out from his coat. He loves plowing through tall weeds. Not very good pics. They were alot worse than it looks but he wouldn't set still for his glamour pics.

IMG_3919.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

Oh yeah- been there. Nothing like the soft puppy fur to get a good hold on those stickies. Last year K'ne it about a foot of the Velcro Weed caught up in her fur- lol. Gotta love the puppy antics! They are so innocent and gung-ho about everything.

Just wait till he starts problem solving... O_o. That is when the fun really begins!

Roy these little guys are the land and you are the water. You are making a canyon. Beautiful ruts of behavior take time and persistence. Sometimes the rock changes and becomes harder. Water always finds a way in the end. Wouldn't it be boring if we didn't have such challenging companions? It's been so helpful to vent here when my little rock head gets the better of me.

Try a pocket full of treats. That may make you more interesting. There was a period of time when I could get Waki to do anything by shaking a bag of treats (that lasted until his teeth came in). During the zombie period (after teeth) Miz Molly alerted me to whistling. We now use that regularly to mean HEY were walking my way on THIS trail not that one. Another possibility is a small toy. There is a golf cart wide rail trail we regularly walk here in town. It has certain sections with thick tentacles of poison ivy reaching for me on either side. I use a small stuffed turtle toy to fixate Waki on dancing close to my side to get past. He seems to understand that the toy means walk straight and stick to the trail. I'm not also very subtle when he meanders too close to the ivy. He knows a gasp = drop it, step away and look innocent, "bleh" = abbreviated form of leave it! and he also knows where it's OK to go pouncing off the side of the trail and he knows to collect at my legs if he sees a cyclist behind us that I haven't detected only after 1 summer of concentrated training and consistent re-enforcement he is turning into a very well behaved trail dog. My point - be creative and use all the senses. You will find something that resonates and it may work for the long haul or it may get you past some hard rock (but it may stop working and you find something else). He'll tune in to you, even your involuntary reactions (like the Mom gasp when it registers to me that he's getting too near something really disgusting or like last night with a milk snake that looked like something more dangerous). Enjoy the ride and save the stories so some day when your dog is the unbelievably well behaved magic dog (spontaneously helping old ladies across the street, setting little Timmy's leg and guiding Lassie back to civilization) you can say to new people - oh yes my dog was hard headed as granite once....

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would put up a couple of pics. Can't get him to set still long enough for some good ones. Girls are starting to come around a little bit. My youngest is doing very good with him but still has some moments when he gets wound up. That is to be expected though.

IMG_3924.JPG Getting ready to pounce.

IMG_3921.JPGSleeps like this all the time in or out of crate.

IMG_3929.JPGAlways picking up something in his mouth.

IMG_3994.JPG Told Ya!

IMG_3925.JPG

• Like 1

IMG_4028.JPG Say Cheese!

IMG_4029.JPG He wants his rope & she wants his paw.

IMG_4019.JPG Was snoozing together.

IMG_4034.JPG

IMG_4039.JPG

• Like 1

IMG_4042.JPG Transition to his third crate since we got him. Growing so stinking fast.

IMG_4045.JPG See what my boy got me for Fathers Day! Starting to kiss butt already. ;)

I have been trying to get a good pic of how tall his is getting. These pics just don't show it. He is doing really well as well is everyone else. We got a good deal on a new 42" crate. It is quite big for him now but he has already grown out of his second crate. He couldn't quite stretch out the way that he likes to. Still working on the mouthing and some chewing. Chewed the end off a 25ft. leash when I tied him to the picnic table. He got all tangled up and decided he would chew his way out. He was only there probably three minutes while I got a drink.

His 6 ft. leash is almost in two already. He likes to carry it in his mouth when we go on walks. I think maybe on of the pics may show that. He just puts it in his mouth and prances around like he has really got something.

IMG_4041.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG

When I watch him eat I swear he looks like something from the wild. His build looks like no other dog I have seen. It is just his build and not the way he eats. Most dogs are more filled out I guess and he is so lean. It gets me everytime I see it.

Great shots. He's so cute. Love the flying laying down stretch. Sleeping with the tummy exposed is a very good sign of a happy, secure, relaxed little guy. Good job!

He does have some loooooong legs.

The kids look peaceful. Gee the little doggie is almost as big as your little one! I can see where that could be a little scary from her perspective. Good job Dad.

I love this thread! Roy and Chaska, so happy for you. Dogs grow so much faster than kids, soon you will be trusting your pup to watch them. Yes, that is a happy dog.

So happy for you- These dogs and kids really do mix.

Several times, my guys have won over dog-cautious children.

Allison is right. Soon this guy will be your kids' bestest friend and watchful companion.

Great stories & pix Roy....stay the course with him and you'll be rewarded with an almost clairvoyant connection with your little guy that will reap benefits for a long time to come.

Lili & I walk about 5-6 miles a day now and probably 75%+ of that time is off leash. We live in a pretty urban setting (western suburbs of Chicago but not distant enough to be country) so it's a fairly hazardous environment for a loose dog for sure. Unless distracted Lili will stay to the sidewalks or easements along the sidewalks for the entire 5-6 miles! Rarely does she go outside this 'comfort zone' as I become very agitated & immediately correct her behavior if she does, so she's learned that this is her designated walking area. She's been a wonder to watch develop.

Truthfully though, the first year was a significant challenge but we didn't let her off leash for 99% of that time so once she was let off leash for short bursts of freedom she was very close to 'home' as we proceeded along and developed her ability to manage that level of freedom. Of course that's not to say that there weren't episodes of misbehavior because there still are (ask the squirrel down the street from us or the bunny in the field that nearly lost its life to the great black & tan huntress extraordinaire...she is an absolute lightening bolt when focused an on the hunt!). By and large though, she's at my side or 10 feet in front of me & circling back at every driveway or intersection we come to. I routinely get people in cars stopping to ask how I did that. I respond with this, 'well, I wish I could take credit but she pretty much taught herself by watching me & how I react to her as she walks!' Some people don't buy it and ask again at which I respond 'I'm a big fan of Cesar Millan'. That seems to get them off the subject & they smile & go on their way. It's amazing how many comments we've gotten since Lili has come into our life. We've had dogs now for 15 years & never got this amount of attention from passersby.....it's amazing, it truly is.... she's only 18 months old!

hi Roy....I was just wondering how much does Chaska weigh?

I will have to get back to you on that. I will have to pull his file and see where he is at weight wise.

Just realized yesterday that Chaska has a big purlpe patch on the back of his tongue. I hadn't even noticed it until now. I have heard a couple of different things as to what that means but not sure if it really means anything.

On a second note the little meathead made me laugh the other night. I was flipping through the channels and came across the end of The Andy Griffith Show. The part at the end where they are whistling the theme song. He was running around until he heard that and walked by the TV trying to find out who was doing it. He looked in the plant that was next to it then back to the TV where he perked up his ears and started cocking his head back and forth listening to it. I guess you just had to be there but it was funny. No sooner than that was over he walks over to the curio cabinet and starts barking at the dog he sees. Which was just a reflection of himself off the mirror in the back. Such a goofball.

If you are worried ask the vet but it's probably just pigmentation. I had a black GSD with a big blue "freckle" on his tongue.

Good little goof.

Shucks, I replied and it didn't go through. Not worried about the spot. I am just suprised that I didn't notice it before. You hear all the stuff about how Chow's are supposed to have the purple tongues and nothing else. Or if it does have the purple then you must have a mix breed with Chow. The vet said that some of them are just berth marks. It doesn't matter to me just suprised.

I've heard that tongue spots are like birthmarks too...

From Kim:

Tongue spots are on a lot of primitive dogs & doesn’t mean a thing, other than a sign of being a primitive dog.

Kim La Flamme ~ founder/trustee of the AIDog breed for over 45 years -- www.indiandogs.com

• Like 1

hi Roy....I was just wondering how much does Chaska weigh?

Sorry for the delay. I went ahead and weighed him today. So at 15 weeks and a day he is just a little over 23 lbs. If what I gather is correct that most of the males are in the 50 lb range then he is pretty much half way there. Maybe 50 lb was on the low side I can't remember now. I am sure someone will chime in with the correct info on that.

Congratulations on Chaska, Roy. He seems thoroughly happy in his "frog dog" poses. As a new member awaiting the arrival of our AI dog (Kim says it should be very soon) I have benefitted from your questions and the responses of the veterans regarding preparations for the new arrival.

As for the purple tongue spots, that reminded me of Mongolian Spots, which is a completely harmless, purple birthmark that both of my dark skinned daughters were both born with. They looked like they had been beaten and bruised over 75% of their little bodies. The pediatrician told us Mongolian Spots are common among people of "Mongolian" descent. According to Dr. Abdul-Ghani Kibbi "Mongolian spots are observed in more than 90% of infants of the Mongoloid race (ie, East Asians, Indonesians, Polynesians, Micronesians, Amerindians, Eskimos)." http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1068732-overview#a0199

My daughters fortunately ended up with their dad's gorgeous, dark skin. My pasty, white son got the short end of the genetic stick and ended up with my Scots-Irish coloring. Poor kid; he sees his dermatologist every 6 months! They all have the same amount of my husband's Choctaw DNA, but you would never know it to look at my son. My point is that Chaska's spotted tongue only gives more evidence of his American Indian DNA!!! :D

Ah, the home stretch is nervewracking, but fun!!!

Ashley

Thanks NashAsh, looking forward to your photos of your new pup. Who are the parents of the pup you are getting. Do you have any pics of the one you are getting. I don't think there has been any pics of the last few litters. Always like seeing the little ones in their group photos. I was thinking there was atleast three litters about due when we got Chaska. Anyways Congrats on the news!

Photos of the new litters should be coming to the forum later today or tomorrow. Once we see the photos, we will see if one calls out to us. I don't know who the parents of these litters are yet. We have read so many times to trust Kim's ability to match us up with the right pup for our family and needs. My daughter prefers a female, but told Kim she will be happy with anythinmg he chooses.

We have a special needs son and look forward to giving back a little to sick children. Our house is often visited by children with a variety of challenges, so the puppy will need to be calm and intuitive. From what I've read, most of these dogs are just born that way. We will work on preparing the puppy for work as a therapy dog to visit hospitalized children. I will be checking the forum for those photos throughout the day!!! Thanks.

When the girls are gone I will start walking through the house like a Texas gun slinger ready for a stand off. That always gets Chaska going and he knows that is our play time together. He just growls and barks like he is a really big bad mean dog. The closer I get to him he crouches down like he is going to jump on me then all of a sudden he just darts the other way. I start walking towards him and he will start running (butt tucked in) all around the house bouncing off the chair and couch growling the whole way. He will come back and stop in front of me and wait for me to get him again.

Sometimes I get down on the carpet and lay there and let him "get" me or we will spar back and forth. Then when I tell him we are done then he knows to settle down. I only do this when the girls are out of the house since this would be a bit much for them when he is in a full run around the house. He does this sometimes when they are here and they just stand still and let him run his coarse through the house. It is funny to watch him when he gets like that.