Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

So we started our agility class on Thursday, and when we got home- Jasper was getting out of the car, and slipped on the painted door sill. Sigh.

He stood there giving me a "look" and I thought, at first, he was just wanting me to get his crate out of the back of the car. But Noooo. Apparently he pulled and/or sprained something.

He was kinda favoring his right rear leg and keeping his tail tucked.

So being a good mommy, I enforced light duty the rest of the day and Friday.

We had a coast trip planned, and I figured hanging out in the car and hotel room and getting plenty of rest would help too. With occasional gentle walks on the beach to break the monotony, keep him from stiffing up, and raise his spirits.

NOPE-

He is, if anything, in More pain. Refusing food, looking all squinty, sleeping a lot, needing help down the steps to go outside, drooling. He even refused his ground lamb organ meat and yogurt breakfast!!

So- Off to the vet we go in about an hour and a half. wheeee

News posted, as it develops.

(and thanks in advance for the commiserations y'all)

Poor Jasper. Refusing food? That's not good.

Let us know.

Hope he's alright.

Hello, hello....? Any news?

Finally news of sorts.

Vet did bloodwork and xrays and all that-

Nothing conclusive, other than he had elevated inflammatory white cell count and a moderate fever (103.6)

There was really nothing on the xrays other than at the base of his tail- there was a slight 'step' as she described it.

So they sent us home with anti inflammatories and antibiotics.. And strict orders to call daily with updates.

So I wish I had more/better news, but that's all I've got. :)

at the base of his tail- there was a slight 'step' as she described it.

Infection explains his continued pain, and loss of appetite. Hope you see results soon.

So it's not a crack, or other visible problem--that's good isn't it? Although you are left wondering what is really going on that might cause infection? Hairline fracture? Hope they could have seen that.

What did she mean by "step"?

Infection explains his continued pain, and loss of appetite. Hope you see results soon.

"step" meaning a slight misalignment of vertebrae at the base of his tail.

Yeah- but where did the infection Come from??

Oh- and he is currently trying to decide if he likes the pain meds.. and trying to rest on the couch....aka Stoned Son.. lol poor guy

But there is no break in the skin, and no anomaly in the bone that they can find?

"step" meaning a slight misalignment of vertebrae at the base of his tail.

Oh- and he is currently trying to decide if he likes the pain meds.. and trying to rest on the couch....aka Stoned Son.. lol poor guy

Star!!

If the pills are big, try a dab of butter on the pill. This is the method we use or, if I have liver sausage, tuck it in a little piece. Good luck. The unexplained infection is most troubling. Another question would be how long he's had this ick.

JudyK

Hey Star, I am sorry to hear about Jas, and his infection. Hope the antibiotics work quickly to knock that fever down so he feels like eating. I just know you are whipping up some delicious concoction for him to nibble on tonight.

I just hate when dogs get sick. Makes me worry. :(

Infection has me curious too - did you guys ever figure out what was wrong with Mina a few weeks ago? Could it be something they passed along and his immune system was just stronger?

The "step" in the tail area will heal with down time (yea, right - I know this poor little guy...that one will be hard). Checking my cell in the morning (or later today - what time is it?) to see if there are any updates. Give that little guy a big hug from me and hubby and a sloppy kiss from his halvsie brother...

So it's not a crack, or other visible problem--that's good isn't it? Although you are left wondering what is really going on that might cause infection? Hairline fracture? Hope they could have seen that.

Edited by Debi

Well, he didn't want his dinner last night, but he took a cookie from me this morning very early, and also when the hubby left for work.

T also found him stretched out on the bed for the first time in almost a week. (sent me a pic- almost made me cry)

Gonna see how breakfast works out this morning, and how he progresses throughout the day.

Whee.

The worst part is there is really nothing I can do to make him feel better.

And for Debi- this infection is totally different from Mina's (so says bloodwork)

I was hoping he'd feel better after his first blast of antibiotic.

Danza's tail is messed up - the husband, who is a klutz, stepped on it when she was a little pup. I was so so mad at him. But after her initial shock at the pain, she's totally fine with it, and you can only tell if you know about it.

He's to JJ eating a real dinner tonight and playing and annoying everyone by tomorrow.

Sigh-

We are resorting to syringe feeding right now, to keep his strength up.

He is drinking fine, but not wanting to eat.

Vet says that it hasn't even been 24 hrs on antibiotics yet- so not to panic yet.

He is moving a bit better, but still running a fever.

Hey Star, at the beginning of this ordeal, you mentioned that you took Jas to an agility class. Have you talked to those people that hold the class to see if any other dogs came down with this? Maybe it's something that started there, and when he slipped getting out of the car, was just enough to make him feel crummy all over, or just happened to all surface at the same time........ Just a thought.

I am in contact with the teacher of the class.

There has been no mention of any other dogs being ill.

I had contacted her to see if I could still sit in on the class without JJ for now, and she said "Certainly- yes!"

Great idea Miz.M, but I am already there.. lol

And Karen- I so miss my annoying boy! I feel like such a slacker not getting out and playing and running him, and going and doing stuff all the time.

At least he has pretty much stopped drooling and moaning. Thank heavens.

That is one of the reasons the vet decided to let him go back home again today after our recheck (no charge) because he is making tiny incremental improvements. .. we think.

I am in contact with the teacher of the class.

There has been no mention of any other dogs being ill.

I had contacted her to see if I could still sit in on the class without JJ for now, and she said "Certainly- yes!"

Great idea Miz.M, but I am already there.. lol

And Karen- I so miss my annoying boy! I feel like such a slacker not getting out and playing and running him, and going and doing stuff all the time.

At least he has pretty much stopped drooling and moaning. Thank heavens.

That is one of the reasons the vet decided to let him go back home again today after our recheck (no charge) because he is making tiny incremental improvements. .. we think.

wow just reading your post about jasper.hope everything goes ok for u all

Early morning update-

Jas slept mostly - I didn't..mostly :)

He is still running a fever of about 102.5-103, but he voluntarily ate about a quarter can of gooey food last night. So that's a small improvement. He also ate a cookie this morning. (is it morning?) And he is moving around better so far today.

I just wish we could knock this fever down. I was using a wet washrag on his paws and legs last night when he got over 103.

After the vet rechecked him (at no charge!) they still have no idea what is going on. But that at this point, we are doing what we can, and to wait and see and just watch for spiking fever and keep it down -or bring him in if necessary.

Gawd!! I wish there was more I could do.

I want my crazy best friend back!

DamnitDamnitDamnitDamnit!!

--and yes, I have relayed all your ideas to the vet as possibles for her/them to consider. :(

Oh no. I had hoped you would see that 180* turn that we appreciate in dogs.

Thinking of you. Wet down his ears, too, to cool him, if you have to again. They're a heat sink.

Got about half a coffee cup of 'soup' into him. He ate a bit on his own, and I "helped" with the rest. (with accompanying dilated eyes and glaring from him)

He's still trying.

Updated vet, and asked for a copy of the blood work. Just for kicks.

Thanks for all the support and commiseration guys!

This is really tearing me up inside.

He's my "soul-dog"

:(

so I don't know if we are out of the woods yet-

but Jas is showing a small amount of interest in the world around him.

brief passing interest in one of the yard-toys, and now laying in his usual 'head over couch-arm, looking out window' position.

Prior, he was just curling in a 'leave me alone' fetal ball.

I will take any improvements I can!

And I will stay optimistic.

Thanks for the updates, Star.

When Draco was a bit ill and laid around all one day, his lethargy was so far opposite his energy and spirit level it hurt us to watch/feel him go through something. Curled up in that tight little fetal position with his ears burning hot.

Lethargy is depressing!!

We're all thinking of you and sending you all our best.

Karen- ya know, sometimes it is difficult to be optimistic and not curl up in the corner crying and shaking with worry.

On a brighter note-- just got back from yet another vet trip. Good news this time!!

Around 11:30 or noon he started getting swelling in his neck, near his jaw. I thought Lymph gland and called the vet. Took him in at 1 and they took me right on through into the inner treatment sanctum! And I stayed wih him while they examined him and aspirated the lump. After a few minutes they determined that it was an Abscess!! Apparently his system finally quarantined it and that is why he is showing a bit of improvement.

So he is going in tomorrow morning, bright and early, for minor surgery for lancing and a quick look around for foreign bodies (like bits of sticks that have somehow punctured through under his tongue and such) and the insertion of a drain for the weekend. Hopefully he should be right as rain very soon!!

As I joked with Dr. Kathy, now that the enemy has finally showed it's head- let's cut it off!

Karen- ya know, sometimes it is difficult to be optimistic and not curl up in the corner crying and shaking with worry.

On a brighter note-- just got back from yet another vet trip. Good news this time!!

Around 11:30 or noon he started getting swelling in his neck, near his jaw. I thought Lymph gland and called the vet. Took him in at 1 and they took me right on through into the inner treatment sanctum! And I stayed wih him while they examined him and aspirated the lump. After a few minutes they determined that it was an Abscess!! Apparently his system finally quarantined it and that is why he is showing a bit of improvement.

So he is going in tomorrow morning, bright and early, for minor surgery for lancing and a quick look around for foreign bodies (like bits of sticks that have somehow punctured through under his tongue and such) and the insertion of a drain for the weekend. Hopefully he should be right as rain very soon!!

As I joked with Dr. Kathy, now that the enemy has finally showed it's head- let's cut it off!

Whew! I am so glad to hear that they found the cause and can proceed to treat. He will be back to his old self in no time. Oh thank heavens! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! :( I can finally put a happy face on this one. I think the hardest time is when you don't have a handle on the problem.......Now you do. Glad that recovery is just a few hours away. I can relax now...a bit!

Sending lots of dog "herrrrrr's" from Tolinka. That's what he says when he is so happy.