Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Introducing Nidoba

Hey Roots, it's great to have you back on the forum. It sounds like you all have had a really busy year with your home and all. I have to tell you, that is quite a fashion statement on Nidoba. There is no hiding in the wilderness there. :ph34r::lol: Don't stay away so long now that you are back on. You know how we all love to hear THE STORIES. :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OMG! love the pj's i have a pair for my pug Maria and everyone else you can by them at the petsmart or the local pet store they should be in the coat dept. Im surprise she gets cold my two love the cold weather mater of fact when it get cold here they are full of energy .

She has turned into a great looking dog

Hi all - thanks for the kind words! My wife bought the PJ's at Target right around Halloween time so that's why they're covered with candy images. I'm not really into to them, LOL! but they do help with keeping her warm at night while in our tent. Without them (even though we pile blankets in her crate and on top/sides) she shivers all through the night. On backpacking trips, there's no blankets or crate so those PJ's are especially important. Anyone know where to find an actual coat? Something made of nylon with some thin insulation, or maybe just a fleece?

Edited by Roots

Not sure what your price range is, but I always thought Ruffwear had some nice looking dog coats. Expensive though.

Here's a great review I just found on a couple of their coats (both of which are linked in the text within the page): http://eardog.com/blog/2011/10/ruffwear-new-dog-coats-quinzee-k9-overcoat/

I've always loved reading about Nidoba! Glad to see the update and to hear that she is doing well. :]

On backpacking trips, there's no blankets or crate so those PJ's are especially important.

Does she carry any of her own things when you are backpacking?

We have down dog pads for our boys when we are camping. They are very light, and easy to carry, and the boys stay toasty warm. We put one end up against a pack or something, so that they can curl their backs into them. If it gets really cold we put a throw over them, as well.

My older dog has very thin hair, and he will get cold if he has to sit still, but he just keeps moving, and then he is fine. He would also allow me to put something on him, but he too, would be embarrassed.

Interesting about what you say about doing her a disservice by keeping away from people. I have found, because of my own mistakes, that it is never too late to train them to a new way. The trick is to figure out how to get the message across. (By the way, I was much better with the second).

Love the peeing, story. One of the joys of backpacking. They love it!

Down (dog sized) blanket is a great idea. Ultra light!!

We're shopping around for a dog coat too. I'm sure we'll find a nice, stylish one soon : )

Yes, Nidoba carries her own gear; water, food, tick tool, 10' cable and PJs. She even carries her gear when we go for day hikes. She has really taken to her pack. At first it was a little big but she's grown some, so now it fits well. She jumps logs and scrambles over boulders no problem while wearing it.

The only time her and I had a problem was last summer. We got a late start on a strenuous hike, so the afternoon sun was bearing down on us. It was prabably 85-90 degrees. It was one of my usual training hikes, so I unleashed her and put in my earphones. After about 15 minutes I looked back and she wasn't on my heels...in fact she was no where to be found. I called and called. No Nidoba. So I grungingly started hiking back down - only to find her slowly coming up the trail with tongue hanging out and panting wildly. I slid my hand inbetween the pack and her back..it was so hot underneath. Obviously she could not cool off fast enough so I took her pack off and threw it in mine. After a drink of water, she was off in front as usual. She beat me to the top of Baldy that day. She happily wore her pack on the way down.

Oh my Dog! You must have felt like a heel.

yea, but a great story non the less. You go Nidoba. I bet that doesn't happen again. :P That ol follow the leader game..... :lol: Their stick-to-itiveness is amazing.

• 1 month later...

^LOL fair enough..

Wanted to mention that Nidoba is eating Back to Basics grain free pork formula food now. So far so good..I'll have to report back after a little longer.

Thanks to your suggestions, we did buy a nice coat for her. I think it was on sale at Sierra Trading post for $20. She'll be trying it out in a couple of weeks. Hope she can redeem herself with a better picture!!

• 2 months later...

2 years old (tomorrow)

Weight: 43 lbs

Neck: 18"

Girth: I forgot but she fits into a Ruff Wear Jacket size small.

LOL people ask me how old my "puppy" is and when I tell them they can't believe a 2yo has so much energy....neither can we!!

Honestly, she's doing great. Happy as can be and a true lover.

Our walks are going much much better now. No problem with walking her during normal day time hours. We intentionally head out often just about 5:30p during the week so there will be people coming home from work, kids out playing and other dogs being walked. This has helped tremendously!

Dog and cat have renewed their playing. There was a lull for about 3-4 months where there just wasn't that much interest but lately it's teeth, claws and slobber each morning and night. They both seem to enjoy it so we let them have supervised fun. I swear the cat is just as guilty (if not more) of instigating it.

The new dog food is going well. No hot spots and she does enjoy eating it.

Looking forward to going home in an hour to vist with her :D

Edited by Roots

Oh my gosh - I forgot to upload it. Thanks...here she is!

nidoba2.jpg

Edited by Roots

(click on picture for larger image)..now who wouldn't want to see a bigger picture of my baby??

Golden Tigeress eyes!

Perfect...beautiful "Tigress Eyes." You really caught the light in her eyes.

I love it!

She's so gorgeous?

What am I saying? All AIDogs are gorgeous. =]

OK, then we all agree that we will only mention the looks when we see an ugly AI Dog!! (I haven't yet, but will certainly mention it if I do!!) :blink:

I'll give you a quarter if you can find one.

I'll give you a quarter if you can find one.

I bet you never have to pay up.....I don't think they exist. :rolleyes:

LOL you all are making me laugh.

Yep, she's a beauty just like all the AIDogs!!