Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Adventures In Wakinyan Dorje

Sherab, I love the white halo around the nose....What a great looking pup.

Chinatola, hope all is well with Lili. It's not fun when those little guys don't feel "shiny."

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Waki's first big snow. There isn't a dog that's awake tonight...

Awhh...looks like he is having a blast !

I like the picture of him buried chest high with all the fresh snow ahead of him.

Posted Images

It's weird....she's certainly not her normal self.....

Look how Waki's shape has changed--looking so much more dog-like now. It does happen fast. Now to grow into the ears. Such a beauty. Keep those pictures coming....

Can't be easy getting rid of an infestation. Nothing you describe is too out of bounds, but don't feel shy about calling Kim if you still have questions after speaking with your vet.

Allison, I certainly won't. Like you said, she's just a little off her 'game' so to speak but she's not way off base by any means. The bladder control issues are a little worrisome but they're not 100% of the time...it seems only in the evening so we're watching water intake very closely until this de-worming period is over. The vet is prescribing a 5 day course with a rest of two weeks followed by another 5 day course. She's a little lethargic, she's got the occasional bout of itchiness & sometimes (but not always) her stool is a little loose....but as of yet, no vomiting.....all indications I've found online leading toward a conclusion that she's having a mild allergic reaction to the meds but also all of which are not problem indications according to many of the sites that I've researched. She only ate half of her breakfast today (which is only a half cup to begin with) but it contained today's dose of meds so I'll just add small bits to her food bowl as the day goes on to make sure she eats well & eventually gets the full dose.

I've decided to work from home today (a luxury that I can call into action whenever I want) so I'll be able to spend the entire day with her observing her behavior. She's been very slow for most of the morning...which is not at all normal. She's normally very zoomy in the mornings, especially after eating & then she calms down around 10-ish or so for a nap break after which time she does lunch & zooms some more...she's been very 'lay-about' so far today. She was very clingy this morning, waiting next to the bed for me to wake up...I normally wake up with her & we go out into the yard together for our morning ritual but Julie took that role this morning because Lili had a 'call' at 330 this morning which I responded to so I was shot, so after she was done she came right back into the bedroom and sat next to the bed waiting for me to get up! She's been glued to my side all morning. She's still Lili...she's just...I don't know...needy Lili....It's tough when you don't feel well....

So is this the third day into the treatment?

yes...two to go....she finally ended up eating her breakfast about 45 minutes ago so I trundled out the door with her & Ida for a long walk...she did very well....she's resting at the moment...

C, Waki gets needy when he feels bad. When he was sick he wanted to be held and to put his head in my arm pit or under my chin. When we are at the vet he hides and when we socialize he'll get tired and need a break. I'm sure Lili will be fine. You are on top of things. Brother sends muzzle licks and tail wags.

Shiva loves this baby so much. He endures bruises and little bites. He was limping the other day from too much hind leg bitting. We've started correcting Waki since Shiva is more patient than we think is prudent. He is a senior, after all. I think Shiva over-estimates his own physical abilities a little. Tara has no such illusions. Her corrections are swift and final.

neckpup.jpgleglock.jpgnecklock.jpg

Edited by Sherab

yes...two to go....she finally ended up eating her breakfast about 45 minutes ago so I trundled out the door with her & Ida for a long walk...she did very well....she's resting at the moment...

It sounds like you are almost out of the woods...eating, long walk, resting....all geed signs. Get well soon lili.

She's a real cagey pup though...she avoids eating breakfast now because she realized (I think) that I dose her meds in the breakfast meal so she'll take a bite or two and amble off to harass Ida or terrorize the drapes or intimidate the rocking chair into submission. We're guessing she can smell the powder or something. Eventually though her hunger overcomes her lack of interest in taking her meds & she'll eat. Yesterday it took her all of the morning & part of the afternoon to eat the entire half cup of kibble...even with a little chicken broth mixed in (we've taken to mixing Chicken broth into her & Ida's food to make sure that they eat in one session as opposed to 'grazing' all day...works pretty well normally....'cept for this meds situation with Lili). She eventually ate it but it took a good while to do so. Same story this morning too...she eventually ate it but it took a couple of hours to do so. She can be a stubborn little phart. I do think though that we're almost out of the woods...yes....

Poor little thing :(

If my memory is correct, I think T had an upset tummy after his first round of worming meds. I think it was just the reaction of the meds to the worms in his belly though more than anything else, and it didn't last more than a day or so. But we didn't have a powdered med, just liquid Strongid which was given in one or two week intervals. I think eventually we ended up getting an all-around wormer from the vet, but that was just a little bone shaped tab that apparently didn't taste too bad cause he ate it right up.

Do you have any canned food? Maybe it would be worth trying to mix up the 'suspicious' powder into a meatball of canned (canned tripe works fantastically, especially cause it smells disgusting) so that she might be more likely to get it down in one go. Then the rest of her food could go uncontaminated and perhaps she'd eat better? Of course that's assuming that the taste is causing the aversion rather than what could just be an upset tummy.

Either way I hope she's feeling better soon!

Edited by woodrat

She does seem to be doing better but she's definitely off her food these days. One more day of meds & then she gets a two week rest before another course of 5 days on. Her appetite seems to wax & wane....sometimes she's completely famished & others she could barely care. Odd to say the least. Trying to keep up with the activity level but that too has fallen by the wayside for the time being. She'll be okay soon I'm sure....she's already much better than she was Saturday & Sunday.

Scott and I took Waki to a mountain bike event. Scott rode and we socialized. Waki was great. Dogs, bikes, people and kids. Nothing phased us except this sasquatch cut out with fake fur. Baby's first growl. Got lots of complements on Waki's temperment. A few people put Songdog Kennel in their phones. Everyone seemed to want to know what we did to get "those ears".

Those ears is right....that's certainly the most commented on feature...along with the piercing eyes!

Ooh, yes we got the ear comments too at that age! No one could ever believe that T's ears naturally stood up like that on their own. But surely we must have taped them?? :lol:

In the swamp they hang bait at different heights, depending on the size gator they wish to catch. alligatorfishing.jpg Here we have successully caught a large and a small.

Baby gators have sharp teeth. Here is one bitting off more than it can chew. babygator.jpg

The mama gator is very protective of her young.wakiafter.jpg

Finally the baby gator has something just his size. Wakialone3.jpg

Waki is teething.

Edited by Sherab

Great pictures Sherab....Waki is growing like a weed!

Here are some shots of Waki on our trip this week end to Holland Mi and Grand Rapids. incar.jpg wakitulip1.jpgWakitulip2.jpgwakitulip3.jpg

We got the "he's so calm" comment again and again. So pleased with Kim's work. What a georgous temperment these dogs have! At Scott's bike race some old salt park rangers came up and wanted to see our dog. They knew he was a primative breed because "his ears - how up they are". Asked if he was a house dog or feral. They loved his coat and one told us a story of his wolf. He had his own couch and would bite people in the but if they tried to sit on it. They did't expect Waki to be so dog-like LOL. bikeboy2.jpgbikeboy.jpg

Wow, he's a good looking dog....great to watch him grow up 'alongside' his sister....she's doing well these days....When time interfere's with our schedule we put her on the treadmill for 20-25 minutes & she gets a good work out. Keep those pictures coming!

They knew he was a primitive breed because "his ears - how up they are".
....interesting!

C, I went back through all the early pictures of Waki and Lili. How is it that he can seem both not the least bit bigger and much bigger at the same time? Do you find that?

We patched up all the Waki sized holes in the fence and have been leaving everyone in the pole barn during work. Shiva helped by demonstrating the location of a Shiva sized excape point (apparently he's known about it for 5 years and never used it). I kind of think at this point Waki also views the fenced area as where he's suppose to stay when pack members leave so even if we missed a spot I don't think he'd leave. Initially he was quite upset about being on the other side of the fence from us, but he figures stuff out quickly.

At the moment it's quiet in my house, everyone is sleeping. Seems playing all day and making holes in my yard is hard work. I need to get a load of dirt so I can fill the craters! Fortunately only Waki is digging or I'd probably need a backhoe.

I do find that to be the case....it's weird how one minute you'll look at them & see a little pup, then the next you can sort of see the adult dog in there too....funny how that works.

Lili has gone off her food & water over the last 24 hours...strange that this is the start date of the second 5 day treatment of Panacur! She must still have the giardia infection or something...very unusual for her to be off her food AND water....very strange. Poop is alternating between dense & loose...very odd. Keeping a close eye over the next 24. if she doesn't eat we can dose the Panacur so we'll have to talk to the vet about that. She was doing really well over the last 7-10 days too!

off water/drinking is VERY CONCERNING!!

do not let it go on more than 24 hrs, and contact your Vet now and let them know