Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Broken Alpha- (and Some Training)

Complicated?

Then you will LOVE the recipes on that one link... ;)

I have been feeding a mostly raw diet for years. And I will grant it is more time consuming than just scooping dry processed pellets from a bag and dumping it in a bowl.

But not by much, and my dogs' health is more than worth the extra 5 min a day...

The easiest thing to remember is Dogs are Carnivores. Meat is the key.

Tho I do supplement our kids' diet with a bit of fresh veggies and plain yogurt and 'people food' from whatever we had for dinner, most "Real Raw Feeders" feed raw meat and meaty bones and organ meats only.

• Like 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BROKEN ALPHA Some thoughts and things I have learned over the years.   No matter how long you have been 'doing it wrong' - remember, each and every day is a new chance to get it right. Act as if y

Been a long while- since I posted on this thread. Found another great article on how to get responses you want and why your dog may not listen immediately.   http://www.onetail.org/ask-a-trainer/mar

Here is a Fantastic step by step example of Shaping-training     She outlines during the video, what is going on.   Another Really Kewl series- (I Love this woman!! She is Fantastic and has a

Posted Images

Complicated?

I have been feeding a mostly raw diet for years. And I will grant it is more time consuming than just scooping dry processed pellets from a bag and dumping it in a bowl.

But not by much, and my dogs' health is more than worth the extra 5 min a day...

The easiest thing to remember is Dogs are Carnivores. Meat is the key.

Tho I do supplement our kids' diet with a bit of fresh veggies and plain yogurt and 'people food' from whatever we had for dinner, most "Real Raw Feeders" feed raw meat and meaty bones and organ meats only.

You know what I mean, right?

I saw a poster one time that said (paraphrased), "You know how hard it is to change one of your own habits? Then you understand why it is so difficult to change someone else's."

(The original was worded more cleverly!) It just seems sometimes that any change is for the more complicated. I understand that I just need to do it and then, very soon, the new becomes the normal.

I'm not sure what would be easier than handing the dogs a chicken. (For that matter, our neighbor has chickens!! We could start by eliminating the noisy ones!)

Speaking of which, sort of, Draco is a pretty good hunter but Wicca is quite the huntress. She catches moles, rats, mice and birds!

How adept at hunting is everyone else? And my real question about this is: do you let them eat their catches?

For some reason, I tend to take the catch away (the rats, definitely... moles & birds not so much), but then, some time later, give a treat of processed food!??!

That doesn't make sense!! :huh: Not good logic. :wacko: Internally dissonant. :blink:

Complicated?

I do, I do LOVE that recipe site!! :D

I'm gonna laugh all day.

Gotta hand it to you..... :rolleyes:

...ouch

ya just Had to go there, didn't ya Gib.

sigh

You know what I mean, right?

I saw a poster one time that said (paraphrased), "You know how hard it is to change one of your own habits? Then you understand why it is so difficult to change someone else's."

(The original was worded more cleverly!) It just seems sometimes that any change is for the more complicated. I understand that I just need to do it and then, very soon, the new becomes the normal.

I'm not sure what would be easier than handing the dogs a chicken. (For that matter, our neighbor has chickens!! We could start by eliminating the noisy ones!)

Speaking of which, sort of, Draco is a pretty good hunter but Wicca is quite the huntress. She catches moles, rats, mice and birds!

How adept at hunting is everyone else? And my real question about this is: do you let them eat their catches?

I'm actually working with Danza on hunting skills right now. She goes insane for tennis balls (as you've witnessed) and I've been trying to throw them in a way that makes them unpredictable. She's really started to get into it, chasing a ball down as if it is dinner, over and over again. I'm going to go out and buy a genuinely new can of tennis balls so they bounce higher - she's catching them pretty high in the air now.

Up until now she's caught one thing, a tiny mole, and then wanted to play with it.

Waki hunts small things. He'll excavate mice and voles (I have a new crater in my garden). He hunts grass hoppers and snakes. He's obsessed with birds (although I've never seen him get one that wasn't already dead). Frogs are interesting but I've never caught him with one - just stalking. Squirrels and a wood turtle are the biggest things he's tried to take on (the squirrel was dead - he's got a radar for dead things but he's gotten good at "drop it" w/o me having to do CSI retrieval in his mouth). We do have a wood chuck that took up residence in the fenced area while we were on vacation last week so we just got done spreading fox pee pellets (they reek).

If he's fast I feel better if he "makes use of" his kills but if I'm fast there is no kill. Still he has plenty of time in the fenced area when I'm at work and haven't found any parts or dead bodies so I believe he eats what he catches. He did just get himself into trouble with this hunting instinct - went after a chipmunk that lives under the deck. Got into a low spot and scraped himself from the top of his shoulders to just above the base of his tail (the highest parts if he were crawling on his belly). So off to the vet for a shave and a cleaning (looks almost like road rash - if you bike) and we'll have a project to devise a way to prevent him from excavating and squeezing under the lip of the deck.

The dogs do a darn good job of keeping those wild things, that are small enough to go through the concrete mesh that I use for fencing (4" square grid), out of the garden. There are easier places for these critters to visit than my garden. I miss their presence, but have peace of mind that the pups aren't doing the dash to the county line after them. Before I fenced, Tolinka would bring the poor critter that my cats would hunt down, to me. Strange as it sounds, he would then take ME on a walk to the burial site in the far reaches of the garden and bury it. If he found a bone in the river bed, I would let him chew on it for awhile. That was always after winter storms and the bone was pretty dry, no flesh. Once he got a hold of a squirrel, and was very territorial about it. I eventually got it and buried it. I thought if they were in the wild they would consume it....however I don't live in the wild, so who knows what diseases these wild critters carry in a populated area. I don't let them eat the wild things. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Another great link-

And feel free to peruse the site at your leisure... ;)

No more excuses

The main TeamUnruly site

They are a rag tag group of people that love their dogs and love to train their dogs to do most anything. (my kind of people.. ;) )

Hey Star, You do find the best sources....these are great. I'm going to bookmark them. Thanks so much.

• 7 months later...

I think by quoting this, it will bring this forum topic up for everybody, right?

Thanks guys!

I am using this method almost exclusively now, and I have a wonderful problem-solving thinking dog. Yay!

Taught him 2 new tricks yesterday using this method. To stand on a board with all 4 feet, and a new move for Freestyle Frisbee. And, after only a dozen or so repetitions, he is pretty solid on them both now.

There are links here that are invaluable for training purposes... you can train these pups to do almost anything... but here is the point for me.... "I have a wonderful problem-solving thinking dog".

Somewhere on Forum -- I think it's Star -- talks about and/or shows training on "Get it" so that if you drop something, the dog will get it and bring it to you......

Yesterday, I was working on a back yard project holding two boards up and in place and a tape measure trying to get a length to cut. Awkwardly stretched out .....

Yep, dropped the tape measure. It rolled out of reach.

And double Yep, Draco came quickly over, picked up the tape measure and handed it to me..... I didn't even have to issue the command!

I repeat: Thank you, Dear Forum, for your amazing resource.

Thank you, Star.

Because . "I have a wonderful problem-solving thinking dog".

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Gib be me to it. Well gonna bring it back to the top again. Star, is there anything that you have to add to your thread. Really good info in here. I just went back through and read it again. Still need to watch all the videos though. Good stuff.

Roy- I add new things when I come across them or learn them.

This thread has kind of become my 'baby' :)

Roy- I add new things when I come across them or learn them.

This thread has kind of become my 'baby' :)

Gotcha! ;)

Speaking of adding to this thread- Here is one of my go to sources. She has effectively nut-shelled the whole "exercise dependent dog" solution. :)

http://3lostdogs.com/how-to-live-with-a-high-energy-dog-without-losing-your-mind/

Sometimes people ask why I have 2 AIDs.. thinking how could I possibly deal with them and their energy and brains?

Well, I use pretty much this method. And have said so in other areas of this thread, but this one article sums it up well.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

That is one link that I have started to put to use. Thanks. Good post.

• 1 year later...

Been a long while- since I posted on this thread. Found another great article on how to get responses you want and why your dog may not listen immediately.

http://www.onetail.org/ask-a-trainer/march-ask-a-trainer-disobedience/

As I have said before- and with all you new puppy families..

"The first step is to limit opportunites for the dog to get reinforced for behaviors you really don’t want. We don’t just wait for toddlers to learn that they enjoy playing with matches or fishing in the toilet—we proactively rearrange the house so they can’t. This works with dogs too."

• Like 4

Wonderful article Star....I hope everyone reads this. because we are STILL on the learning curve. Thanks for finding this one.

apotsip Miz M. :)

(all part of the service I provide)

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

[quote name=NorCal" post="40933" time="1501202543]So much wisdom here -its so helpful and interesting!

I agree! Good thread to read up on now that we are expecting another little one :wub:

• Like 2

I would love to get the resource you used for "get it". I didn't have any luck finding it on my own. Thanks, new AI puppy owner, Berta, Monmouth, OR

I would love to get the resource you used for "get it". I didn't have any luck finding it on my own. Thanks, new AI puppy owner, Berta, Monmouth, OR

Look at Kikopup on youtube her video on how to fetch anything is great...as are a lot of her training videos...enjoy !!

• Like 1