• Please log in to reply
430 replies to this topic

#41 gramtot

gramtot

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Carpentry, Grandkids, Sewing (currently purses and totes, dolls), Tai Chi, Walking, Home Improvement, Dogs and dog training, Horses (not currently an owner, however)

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

So glad to hear that things are going well. Wicca will be so comfortable now without the 'mice' in her! I just think how painful a little tiny splinter can be and then look at you picture and OUCH! Hope all goes well with the crate rest---probably harder on you than her! Always love those tough stories than end in Good News and boy, howdy, you sure have some to tell recently--with both of your special friends. Denakka and I are both sending our love out to Wicca!

#42 Chinatola

Chinatola

Liliko'i & Kekona's Padre

• 1166 posts
  • Interests:Multiple business owner, father of two grown children, guitarist, amateur astronomer & husband of 30 years to my wonderful Julie Ann. Oh yeah...absolutely nuts about dogs!!

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

Gib,

I'm a new user to the forum (been on the waiting list for a little over a month now) & have been keeping tabs on Wicca's situation. Glad to hear that she's doing better & that the worst is behind you.
Chinatola

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized.

--- Daniel Burnham

#43 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

Ditto. Sounds like you made the right choice. Little sweetie. We look forward to seeing her run around painlessly.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#44 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, snorkeling, grandchildren, dogs, community, computers and ....

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

Gib,

I'm a new user to the forum (been on the waiting list for a little over a month now) & have been keeping tabs on Wicca's situation. Glad to hear that she's doing better & that the worst is behind you.

Thank you.

I woke up this morning and didn't know what day of the week it is. We picked her up from the Vet's on Tuesday afternoon, so what's that, 3 days!! Wow.

It's been both extremely slow and has flown by.

These d*mn dogs ( ;) ) have such a strong constitutions. Wicca is ready to rock-n-roll. She's on her pain meds, of course, but she's shown almost no signs of pain or favoring her shoulders. The four little spots that have sutures look good. She is sneaking in some licks but hasn't tried to pull them out. OK, maybe once or twice, but in three days, that's really, really good.

Joan and I joked this morning after an episode where we had to (somewhat frenetically) separate Draco from Wicca because she was ready to go right into their normal wrestling-running match. "It's only 39 more days! :) "

Joan then packed up Draco to took him away for a walk.

Gotta run... Wicca wants to go outside...

This too shall pass.

Edited by Gib, 11 November 2011 - 01:24 PM.

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

#45 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Oh man! Good news, but I do not envy you. Very glad to hear the little sweetie is doing well.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#46 gramtot

gramtot

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Carpentry, Grandkids, Sewing (currently purses and totes, dolls), Tai Chi, Walking, Home Improvement, Dogs and dog training, Horses (not currently an owner, however)

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

I'm so glad things are going as well as expected--maybe even better. I don't envy you either. After just 5 days of dealing with Denakka after neutering and I'm exhausted. Either the collar is on and he's depressed, angry, frustrated, etc., or it's off and I have to keep my eye on him 100% of the time! I couldn't do 6 weeks! It does sound like Wicca is being a dear about it all, but that doesn't make it easy for anyone!

#47 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

Wicca is ready to rock-n-roll. She's on her pain meds, of course, but she's shown almost no signs of pain or favoring her shoulders.

I donít mean to sound uncaring, however, I learned that when I had surgery, those pain meds made me feel like a million bucks. I didnít feel a thing, which is good, and not so good. When you canít feel, you forget that there is a place in your body that is trying to heal, and I know, I probably did things that I shouldnít have at the time. Thus I cut back on the meds, and it slowed me down considerably because I could feel a bit of the pain which reminded me that life for the moment was not ready to be back to normal. So if Wiccca is too rambunctious, and you are worried about ripping stitches, you might shave a bit of the pain meds down, and she will probably slow down too. Just a thought.
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#48 judyk

judyk

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 837 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

I donít mean to sound uncaring, however, I learned that when I had surgery, those pain meds made me feel like a million bucks. I didnít feel a thing, which is good, and not so good. When you canít feel, you forget that there is a place in your body that is trying to heal, and I know, I probably did things that I shouldnít have at the time. Thus I cut back on the meds, and it slowed me down considerably because I could feel a bit of the pain which reminded me that life for the moment was not ready to be back to normal. So if Wiccca is too rambunctious, and you are worried about ripping stitches, you might shave a bit of the pain meds down, and she will probably slow down too. Just a thought.

Agree with you 2000% - our vet doesn't do pain meds for that reason. If they (or us) can't feel the hurt, that's when we get in trouble -- been there done that!!

JudyK
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Judy in Michigan

#49 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:My AIDog Chhaya...herbs, gardening, the outdoors.

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

Wow Miz Molly and JudyK I was thinking the very same thing....with my daughters ACL surgery she said the very same thing!

Glad things are going ok Gib....will be thinking of you these next 36 days.....good luck!
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#50 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, snorkeling, grandchildren, dogs, community, computers and ....

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:09 AM

I don't mean to sound uncaring, however, I learned that when I had surgery, those pain meds made me feel like a million bucks. I didn't feel a thing, which is good, and not so good. When you can't feel, you forget that there is a place in your body that is trying to heal, and I know, I probably did things that I shouldn't have at the time. Thus I cut back on the meds, and it slowed me down considerably because I could feel a bit of the pain which reminded me that life for the moment was not ready to be back to normal. So if Wicca is too rambunctious, and you are worried about ripping stitches, you might shave a bit of the pain meds down, and she will probably slow down too. Just a thought.

Thanks, everyone, for continuing to check in...

Today mark's a week since Wicca had her surgery. We did it -- one week down and five weeks to go!!

Oh, yes, we've already started cutting back on the Tramadol.

Another super-strict week and then we slowly can begin rebuilding her strength and endurance.

Draco has been a champ, only forgetting a couple of times outside and challenging Wicca to a wrestle-run. We just say "No," and they have. Amazing.

Inside, they've been continuing their "wookie warsongs" in the morning but have been maintaining their restricted play level. And, in the evening, when they would normally be doing some training or playing, Draco has, numerous times, gone over and brought a toy or chew to Wicca.

I do believe we are going to make it through this.

I guess that's the life lesson, isn't it? This too shall pass.

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

#51 Chinatola

Chinatola

• 1166 posts
  • Interests:Multiple business owner, father of two grown children, guitarist, amateur astronomer & husband of 30 years to my wonderful Julie Ann. Oh yeah...absolutely nuts about dogs!!

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

"Wookie Warsongs" .... I feel a rock n roll band name coming on!! :)
Chinatola

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized.

--- Daniel Burnham

#52 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

"Wookie Warsongs" .... I feel a rock n roll band name coming on!! ;)

Hey Chinatola, what a great idea. Are you going to put this one together???????? :)
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#53 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

Hey Chinatola, what a great idea. Are you going to put this one together???????? B)

We're in!! ;)

Joan is a recreational drummer with her own digital drum kit.

I play a mean harmonica. Not necessarily good. Not necessarily even nice, but a mean harmonica! :)

Who are the other co-conspirators?

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

#54 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

Dibs on the tambourines......oooooooh this could be really good. When is our first jam session? ooooohh, can the dogs sing with us? Ooooooooh, maybe they ARE the singers!

#55 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

I know Debi, Soul's mom, has a hubby that plays all kinds of things.... :)
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#56 Chinatola

Chinatola

• 1166 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

Maybe a Three Dog Night tribute band is in order here....? :)
Chinatola

--- Daniel Burnham

#57 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, drawing, painting, cooking, dog training, film making

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

My son can play guitar if Brian can't.
I do beautiful, wild, unique abstract photography.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza
custom_dog_nema2_small.jpg

#58 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

Maybe a Three Dog Night tribute band is in order here....? :)

Hahahaha!

--David Dunning

#59 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

When and where is the impromptu first gig....I'm in.

#60 Gib

Gib

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

I was wrong; Wicca's two-week checkup was today not tomorrow...

She passed. We're good. There is still a four-week procedure but the Dr. emphasized again this morning that we are passed the critical part -- the healing has taken place. Now, it's just taking our time to let her build back up to full strength over a long period of time.

So,

Week One: increase walks to more thapotty pottty-walks still no more than 10-15 minutes at any one time; still no off-leash running on her own; no unsupervised wrestling with Draco, no stairs.

Week Two: All of the above again: if she has no set-backs, then increase the frequency and length of the walks; increase supervised wrestling but no jumping or use of arms; on-leash going up stairs; no down-stairs yet.

Week Three: Increase length of walks; no unsupervised running. On-leash upstairs; carry downstairs. Jumping up onto things is OK: jumping down off of things is not OK.

Week Four: Increase length and difficulty of walks (add hills). No unsupervised running. On-leash upstairs; slow, supervised on-leash downstairs.

~~~~
After her six week checkup, she can then begin some off-leash running and then really get in shape.

Draco_Wicca_shoulder.jpg

As you might be able to tell, this has brought the Draco & Wicca even closer together. I'm a bit tired so won't go in to the many stories I could tell of Draco gently sniffing Wicca's shoulders or laying for minutes on end grooming her or going and fetching her a toy or bone to chew on.

I could also tell stories about what a trouper Wicca has been, but maybe not tonight.

It's true -- this too shall pass. Thank you all for your warm thoughts and blessings.

More soon.

For Now,

Gib Curry

ф

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users