Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Raw Food For Your Puppy?? What Are You Feeding And How Much?

Hey guys,

I know not all of you do the raw food deal, but I plan on carrying on with my new boy. Just wondering what you all are doing? Barf says 8 ounces per 25lbs... So am I looking at 3-5 ounces? of Chicken as a base?

Breuer is on 1 chicken quarter, 2 eggs, and a Fish Oil capsule twice daily with whatever veggies we have around at the time, and he is looking great!! He's trimmed 10lbs since we got him... he was a big boy... 76lbs at 9 months was too much... Especailly when this breed should be around 55-60lbs. Plus his coat looks great, teeth look great, and he has more energy than I can keep up with ;)

He's also supplemented with the occasional RMB (raw meaty bone).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Richie

Are the eggs raw, too? Chicken quarter...do you mean thigh? Have you weighed it? Just curious, because I weigh out Coyo's, and I'd be interested to try your recipe.

Are the eggs raw, too? Chicken quarter...do you mean thigh? Have you weighed it? Just curious, because I weigh out Coyo's, and I'd be interested to try your recipe.

Yes the eggs are raw too, and the chicken is sometimes quarters or Thighs... I'm not sure the difference, but they can be labeled as either. I think quarters contain more "rib".

Weight is 5-7ounces per thigh...

273 - 300 calories

125 - 150 calories from fat

35-50 grams of protein

1-raw large egg - With SHELL (they enjoy breaking them, once they figure it out, and the shell is high in calcium)

75 calories

45 calories from fat

6.3 grams of protein

Lately he's had apples...

1-apple is 55 calories

15 grams carb

11 grams of carb from sugar

1-2000 mg Fish Oil capsule for Omega 3 - great for their coats.

I've mostly been gauging his diet based on look feel and demeanor... Feeling his ribs, comparing them to the back of my hand. If he's feeling thin, (hasn't happened yet) they say give a week of an extra thigh per day. See how he/she fills out. Then back to the regular diet. If they are gaining, eliminate the carbs from the diet for a week, then back to regular.

I'm no expert, this has just been what's working for me ;)

Of course treats are thrown in every now and then.

Edited by taylorRichie

So you throw in the whole egg without breaking it open? Cold?

It sounds good. I'm going to try it. I especially like the ease of it. I've been giving Coyo 3/4 of a pound, but I'll cut that back and add the eggs.

So you throw in the whole egg without breaking it open? Cold?

It sounds good. I'm going to try it. I especially like the ease of it. I've been giving Coyo 3/4 of a pound, but I'll cut that back and add the eggs.

Yep Just whole eggs that are cold... Bender always loved it, and Breuer absolutely loves it... I had to crack the eggs at first, and it took a while before he would eat the shell, but now he enjoys breaking them, and eating it all. If coyo won't eat the shell at first try breaking it up into small pieces...

can they have the raw bones from the chicken?

Yep, as long as bones aren't cooked they'll eat them and can be broken down by their digestive systems. But never defrost the chicken in a microwave since it will alter the bones, making them hard and unable to be digested, and dangerous too.

Right you are on the bones. Raw good. Cooked, by any means= splinters.

I chopped the shells up pretty fine, and he was a little wary, but ate it all. I broke one yoke, and left the other whole. A couple shell pieces left, but not at all what I expected.

I should do a before and after picture, like the infomercials.

He had squash as the vegetable.

• 9 months later...

I now add a scoop of Nupro gold to their food :P Just for that extra kick of nutrients.

Boulder has been on the RAW diet since I got him, and he's been doing great... occasionally he'll turn down a veggie, or a fruit, but Breuer is quick to take it ;)

Still just use RAW chicken "leg quarters" they come in a bag previously frozen, and they're 69¢ a Pound. I think it's actually cheaper than a high quality kibble. Other than you have to find a place to store in the fridge, and freezer.

Thanks. That is what I needed to hear.

I wasn't too happy with the wings. Bones/skin/meat. It doesn't seem what I'm after for a treat.

Thanks. That is what I needed to hear.

I wasn't too happy with the wings. Bones/skin/meat. It doesn't seem what I'm after for a treat.

They absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the NuPro...

If I walk near the bucket they run down to their crates thinking it's feed time :) If anyone ever had any trouble crate training a dog... get some nupro and only feed it to them in their crates. I mostly make gravy out of it. Crack an egg mix it up, add water as needed and then drop the chicken quarter in with it.

Of course now my dogs seem to be bouncing off the wall with even MORE energy.

Can't wait for the dog parks to open. Few more weeks!

I just started using something similar--missing link. Cool. I see Nupro has garlic in it. Once again, the garlic controversy. I have come to think that there is something in fresh, that is not in powdered garlic. Only my thoughts after reading on the subject. Those that use garlic do not use fresh.

I just started using something similar--missing link. Cool. I see Nupro has garlic in it. Once again, the garlic controversy. I have come to think that there is something in fresh, that is not in powdered garlic. Only my thoughts after reading on the subject. Those that use garlic do not use fresh.

Allison,

I did some research on this and had a hard time finding it just now, so I will keep looking. I use garlic in everything I cook - so was worried when Meekos got OSA cancer that it might be relative. What I found was it is whole, raw garlic cloves that dogs are sensitive to. In most instances; cooked, powdered, or chopped does not affect them as much.

Soul loves garlic and I have to keep him out of the kitchen when I bake homemade garlic bread. Last time he stuck his head in the oven and ran off with the one of the loaves. Yes - life is interesting here!

Right now he is attempting to steal the remote for the TV (it is off). A stern "drop it" works now...he no longer takes it and hides it under his den cushion! Bwahahaha

Hi guys,

My husband was gung ho about starting raw food with our dogs, and though I'm a bit disgusted, the dogs love it and I now think it's kind of cool. Question: Do they need any suppliments? A book my husband is reading is talking about aloe and a multivitamin, I think. Should they get anything else besides, chicken, eggs, veggies? Also, should we see speckles of chicken bone in their poop?

Thanks,

Sonia

I use candie and I try to put in meet raw or half cook add water and its gone in seconds all three love it today I gave snake and Malachi each half of a turkey neck raw you thought Igave them the world kept Malachi busy for a while haha but I have been having trouble Malachi wont eat or he picks at his food unless I add something in it . my doctor aid he was against raw meat feeding because the dog tend to not eat regular food oh well I was going to buy nupr but was not sure if Malachi was old enough he does not need any moore energy . his skin tends to be dry any one have any ideas for that

They absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the NuPro...

If I walk near the bucket they run down to their crates thinking it's feed time :) If anyone ever had any trouble crate training a dog... get some nupro and only feed it to them in their crates. I mostly make gravy out of it. Crack an egg mix it up, add water as needed and then drop the chicken quarter in with it.

Of course now my dogs seem to be bouncing off the wall with even MORE energy.

Can't wait for the dog parks to open. Few more weeks!

thier poop will be white at times and I think they go less because everything is absorbed .if you know a hunter ask him to keep the deer gust they have most high in nutritian of any part of the body alot of people do not want to bring the inners back becaus ethe weigh like 35 pound but if you can get them its the best for the dogs or ask a butcher they can save them

Hi guys,

My husband was gung ho about starting raw food with our dogs, and though I'm a bit disgusted, the dogs love it and I now think it's kind of cool. Question: Do they need any suppliments? A book my husband is reading is talking about aloe and a multivitamin, I think. Should they get anything else besides, chicken, eggs, veggies? Also, should we see speckles of chicken bone in their poop?

Thanks,

Sonia

Little Sitka has had carrots, yams, cauliflower, broccoli,...he eats them all. I have started supplementing with one of the whole food powders (Missing link) that you add to their dish. It is like Nupro, flaxseed, etc., etc. Full of extra nutrients, but not strictly a multivitamin.

Linda, you should try it, as the flaxseed is excellent for skin.

I see bits of things that they do not digest. Wait until you add brown rice! That'll scare you!

But the amount of fecal material is reduced greatly. They absorb more, and their teeth stay much whiter.

thanks you

Little Sitka has had carrots, yams, cauliflower, broccoli,...he eats them all. I have started supplementing with one of the whole food powders (Missing link) that you add to their dish. It is like Nupro, flaxseed, etc., etc. Full of extra nutrients, but not strictly a multivitamin.

Linda, you should try it, as the flaxseed is excellent for skin.

I see bits of things that they do not digest. Wait until you add brown rice! That'll scare you!

But the amount of fecal material is reduced greatly. They absorb more, and their teeth stay much whiter.

What if my dog won't eat any veggies? The book we're reading says to make "veggie glop." Which is blended veggies. Shilah won't eat them blended or whole. Does she really need it?

Anyone try raw food with cats? I'm sure it would help ours cuz she's always vommiting hairballs, but I gave her a piece of raw chicken to try and she would not touch it except to take it out of her bowl!!!!

Hey guys, I haven't been posting lately, but I've been following this post, and doing "raw food" research on my own... I JUST started feeding Miko raw chicken and reduced amount of kibble. Before he was mainly on kibble, raw egg x2 perday, sometimes flax seed and sometimes yogart, then fruits, vegs, and some table scraps. I will have to say that MIko has had dandruff and literally 24 hours after feeding him raw egg, his coat began to shine and the dandruff disapeared. His coat just continues to look better and better! So two days ago, I started giving Miko raw chicken. I have to contain him in a corner of my kitchen to ensure that he doesn't run off to hide the raw meat somewhere or get it near my toddler. Everything's good, EXCEPT he has began growling at me if I come near him while the chicken is in his mouth. I know it's a natural instinct for pup to protect his food, being raw meat, but I cannot have him having the least bit of aggression with this raw food. Right from day 1, I have sat with him while he eats, pet him, put my hand in his dish while he eats, and just worked on conditioning him so he is used to being handled while eating. He's never been the least bit aggressive.... So the first time he growled at me, I managed to get him to drop the chicken and move away from his food for a down-stay. I released him to go back to it, and he showed the same aggression, all huddled in the corner, hunched over as he began inhaling his meat. My concern was the closer I got to him, the more he tried to choke down the meat, and he wasn't chewing the bones, and I was afraid he might choke. But what should I do? I've NEVER owned a dog that growled at me with food. Maybe this is saying that I'm not being "alpha enough" but I have worked a lot with him around food, and always make him sit, wait, for his food, he only eats on command and does very well. Dont know if this should be a separate topic or not, but I needed to get this post out asap b/c I'm really worried, and wondering what others think, or if others have experienced their pup growling, etc. Thanks in advance.

You might try sharing something cooked with him. Make him wait and watch you, until you are ready to give him a bite, and then wait again, for the next one.

Like you, I always made sure I could take the food away. Good that you haven't let it go on too long.

The other thing I can think of, right away, is the wait command. I make the little guy wait until I release him, before he can eat--bowl on the ground, and dog waiting. I don't make him wait too long, but he does wait even when I get lax and forget.

I also feed a bite by hand. There's another idea: feed him a few bites by hand, until he gets the idea that YOU are the source of the food, not the bowl or the bountiful universe.

Yes, those are good suggestions. I already do the wait and even "gentle" when taking something out of my hand. He seems to not growl if the food is cooked, it's just when it's raw. I think I'm going to start feeding him some raw out of my hand, that I haven't tried. Our dog trainer in PK says to take the bowl away and return it with something yummy so they begin associating you with the source of food. Guess it's the same concept that you are talking about. BUT, is this a big deal? Is it a sign of early aggression that I'm going to have to constantly maintain through his life? I guess I don't know how to gauge the severity of this... I know it's a normal K9 behavior. But I've just never owned a dog that growled at ..... me! Also, b/c I have a toddler. Thanks for the advice.

You might try sharing something cooked with him. Make him wait and watch you, until you are ready to give him a bite, and then wait again, for the next one.

Like you, I always made sure I could take the food away. Good that you haven't let it go on too long.

The other thing I can think of, right away, is the wait command. I make the little guy wait until I release him, before he can eat--bowl on the ground, and dog waiting. I don't make him wait too long, but he does wait even when I get lax and forget.

I also feed a bite by hand. There's another idea: feed him a few bites by hand, until he gets the idea that YOU are the source of the food, not the bowl or the bountiful universe.

I would suggest to not give him the whole piece of chicken but put it in his bowl in peices like I will cut up up boneless chicken breast and mix with dry food same with beef if he is only pretective over that one thing change it up ,give it to him with out bones I know it good for them but there are other ways to give it to him iuseually remove what they would get aggressive with example I used to give my wolf dog raw hides but he would get to sggressive when he had them so so I gave them up all together and found other treats

Yes, those are good suggestions. I already do the wait and even "gentle" when taking something out of my hand. He seems to not growl if the food is cooked, it's just when it's raw. I think I'm going to start feeding him some raw out of my hand, that I haven't tried. Our dog trainer in PK says to take the bowl away and return it with something yummy so they begin associating you with the source of food. Guess it's the same concept that you are talking about. BUT, is this a big deal? Is it a sign of early aggression that I'm going to have to constantly maintain through his life? I guess I don't know how to gauge the severity of this... I know it's a normal K9 behavior. But I've just never owned a dog that growled at ..... me! Also, b/c I have a toddler. Thanks for the advice.

Hey Jess,

Try taking a strip of chicken and holding it in your fist leaving a tiny bit hanging out. Let your pup chew on the part that is hanging out. He will want to pull the rest out, but try not to let him. Let it out a small bit at a time. Keep doing this until the chicken is gone. It's pretty entertaining. He will get the picture. I have done this with Tolinka, and it worked for him. I also "share" bones with him like that. I just keep holding on while he chews. Now he brings them to me to hold for him while he munches away. With this said, when Tolinka finds a "raw treat" from the forest, that's a different story. I just turn my head because he was the one that found it, not me. He would become the artful dodger if I tried to take it away. Oh there was one time when he set the wild tasty treat down, I diverted his attention and got the little wild thing, and he did growl at me, but it was more like "not fare, that's mine" kind of growl, not the "I'm going to bite you" kind of growl. The other thing I have done is feed him his whole dinner out of my hand. This way he knows YOU are the food source. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Our girl Mina gets half raw - half kibbie.

One meal consists of Natural Balance Potato/Duck kib

The other consists of 3/4 cup of raw coarse ground chicken quarter, 1/4c rolled oats, some greens (collards, lettuce, dandelion etc) and something contrasting color like carrot or BNsquash. Topped with Solid Gold Seameal and sometimes flax.

This is really helping with her allergies!