Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Thank you MizM,

yeah we love our snug little house. You can actually see where the garden will go in the Back yard shot. On the far right you see little marker flags and dead grass. We have plotted out a 15x40' space along the south fence. But we will have to put in coon (puppy) proof fencing or we will be gardening to feed the wildlife.. sigh

My grandfather never fenced his garden. His philosophy was "plant enough and there well be plenty for the deer, squirrels and the rest of the neighbors.... and so he did. :lol: But alas I am with you, fence the whole darn place, use gopher baskets, anything to keep the damn varmints out, :D:) and have your 12-gauge ready for the non-expecting. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Starghoti, there is a vegetable garden book you might enjoy. I have never seen one so intense. I just got it, and it reads somewhat like a text book and it definitely has a plan that I am going to follow and prepare for this September. Can't wait. The full title: "How to Grow More Vegetables" (and Other Fruits, Nuts Berries, Grains and other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine." (The title that pops out at you will be the underlined part.)

To quote what they rote about this master piece is as follows: "...is a classic in the field of sustainable gardening, this book shows how to produce a beautiful organic garden with minimal watering and care, whether it's just a few tomatoes in a tiny backyard or enough food to feed a family of four on less than half an acre.

Explains the “grow biointensive” sustainable mini-farming method of gardening. Describes a complete general approach to gardening including soil preparation, bed preparation, fertilizations, composting, seed propagation, transplanting, crop rotation, watering and weeding. Contains information for beginning, intermediate and advanced gardeners. Includes master charts for specific foods and plants to maximize the effectiveness of time and space in the smallest-scale growing area and sample garden plans. Recommends companion plants and methods of natural pest control...... Happy planting. :D

Great place, S! I just love black cats. Looks like lots of room to run.

MM thanks for the book tip. Here's a link:

How to Grow More Vegetables

Here's our first try:

garden1.JPG

Oh, I love nasturtium. I had them in CA and PA, and the are the prettiest when they can trail and spill over a wall. But, man, the slugs love them.

Oh, I love nasturtium. I had them in CA and PA, and the are the prettiest when they can trail and spill over a wall. But, man, the slugs love them.

Did you know they are edible? They are great in salad - they are a peppery tasting green! Try them!

JudyK in Michigan

That's why I planted them in the garden, some for us, and I like to feed edible flowers to my Parrot.

Wow MizM, Thanks for the book tip! Just ordered it. :)

I think I've already attached a pic of our 'old garden' at our previous house

We grew darn near everything in that Jungle Bwahahaha

Oh, and speaking of 12ga... Hubby is planning stealth surveillance of the back '40' with his airsoft gun.

It is part of our plan to dissuade the local wildlife :) That and he's been dissuading the squirrel that sits up in our maple tree (right over our deck...) and pees on us.. ew

I don't think I will get my usual righteous garden This season, but I will work on greens and 'cold-garden' vegetables. And get the blueberries in and the strawberries.. And get a few more herbs for the kitchen bed. And get the garden well prepped for next year. Oh, and we also got one of those compost tumblers! Yay :D

:):D:lol: :lol: :lol: What a great mental visual. I can just imagine him sneaking around like Elmer Fudd :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This year I am going to mix veggies into my flower garden and see what happens. Silly tomatoes don't like resting in last years home, so they are moving every year. Anyone have any good suggestions for getting rid of gophers besides sitting in my rocker with the 12 gauge :) pretending that I am at a shooting gallery?

L0L

SledgeHammer and the Whack-a-Mole method?

ROFL

PS: the sneaking around is even funnier considering hubby is 6'5 lmao

This year I am going to mix veggies into my flower garden and see what happens.

Once I started doing that, I never went back. My brother, who is a horticulturist who lives in Costa Rica, always does this in his "gardens", which are whatever surfaces happen to support plant life. He has no sense of propriety, and walking around on his properties, you often have to remember to look up to see what might be there. He plants this one tree with a really spongy bark just so he can tie bromileads and orchids to it. He has an amazing orchid collection, just from things he's taken from the forest floor after windstorms. He's lived on the same small piece of land for ten years and you would not believe the yield he gets from it.

I went to Sissinghurst in England, and Vita Sackville-West planted things through things, using one plant to support another. That was beautiful, too.

I was growing a few things throughout the yard, but this is my first dedicated space to veggies. I am already planning the changes for next year. We're loving the experience.

Karen, your brother's place sounds like my idea of heaven.

AND the leaves are delicious in salad--slightly peppery--try them--Cheers, B.

I was growing a few things throughout the yard, but this is my first dedicated space to veggies. I am already planning the changes for next year. We're loving the experience.

Karen, your brother's place sounds like my idea of heaven.

The reason I am planting veggies in the flower garden is because of the water needs of the plants. My blue berries need water and I mistakenly planted them with the wisteria and roses....wrong! Oh how I thought they would look so pretty together. They did too. However......watered the blue berries that are in gopher baskets, and those damn varmints almost killed the beautiful Japanese white wisteria (not in a gopher basket, and over 10 years old) to get to the blue berries. Just tunneled right through the roots having a party all the way. Moving the berries, and trying to save what is left of the wisteria. Different water needs.

AND the leaves are delicious in salad--slightly peppery--try them--Cheers, B.

I did not know you could eat the leaves. I'll have my husband try it first. :)

Good point, MM. I'll keep those points in mind: water needs and pests.

I am with grandpop besides let the dogs have thier fun chacing and catching

My grandfather never fenced his garden. His philosophy was "plant enough and there well be plenty for the deer, squirrels and the rest of the neighbors.... and so he did. :Bwahahaha: But alas I am with you, fence the whole darn place, use gopher baskets, anything to keep the damn varmints out, B):ph34r: and have your 12-gauge ready for the non-expecting. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Starghoti, there is a vegetable garden book you might enjoy. I have never seen one so intense. I just got it, and it reads somewhat like a text book and it definitely has a plan that I am going to follow and prepare for this September. Can't wait. The full title: "How to Grow More Vegetables" (and Other Fruits, Nuts Berries, Grains and other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine." (The title that pops out at you will be the underlined part.)

To quote what they rote about this master piece is as follows: "...is a classic in the field of sustainable gardening, this book shows how to produce a beautiful organic garden with minimal watering and care, whether it's just a few tomatoes in a tiny backyard or enough food to feed a family of four on less than half an acre.

Explains the “grow biointensive” sustainable mini-farming method of gardening. Describes a complete general approach to gardening including soil preparation, bed preparation, fertilizations, composting, seed propagation, transplanting, crop rotation, watering and weeding. Contains information for beginning, intermediate and advanced gardeners. Includes master charts for specific foods and plants to maximize the effectiveness of time and space in the smallest-scale growing area and sample garden plans. Recommends companion plants and methods of natural pest control...... Happy planting. :D

My blue berries need water and I mistakenly planted them with the wisteria and roses....wrong! Oh how I thought they would look so pretty together. They did too. However.....Different water needs.

And there's the fun. I love how gardens evolve; even when you have years of success and experience behind you, something will come along like a really hard winter or a hungry family of deer, and make you rethink something major. Maybe the wisteria you planted in such a delirium of excitement ten years ago is about to tear the front porch of your house right off. Like that.

Thanks to your words of wisdom concerning Nasturtium leaves, here is a picture of our salads. Underneath is Romaine, Red Leaf, and Butter lettuce, sweet peas, arugula, onion and garlic greens:

IMG_5898.JPG

I have a Tomato question. You know how you pinch the starts that rise from the joints, well, I've let them go a bit, and now one plant has starts that are 5 inches. Should I still pinch them, or let them go?

We have lots of flowers, but no fruit. They grew exponentially, during the hot weather, but that comes and goes, and maybe next year, I will keep them in pots, like the old-timers, around here, do. I think their roots need more heat.

I do have some pasillo peppers in a pot, and have much fruit already, even though it only gets afternoon sun.

Thanks to your words of wisdom concerning Nasturtium leaves, here is a picture of our salads. Underneath is Romaine, Red Leaf, and Butter lettuce, sweet peas, arugula, onion and garlic greens:

IMG_5898.JPG

I have a Tomato question. You know how you pinch the starts that rise from the joints, well, I've let them go a bit, and now one plant has starts that are 5 inches. Should I still pinch them, or let them go?

We have lots of flowers, but no fruit. They grew exponentially, during the hot weather, but that comes and goes, and maybe next year, I will keep them in pots, like the old-timers, around here, do. I think their roots need more heat.

I do have some pasillo peppers in a pot, and have much fruit already, even though it only gets afternoon sun.

Pinch off the 'runners' - they take the energy from the blossoms. We've been picking tomatoes since JUNE 28 - that's the earliest ever. We've had tons of lettuce, beans, finger beets (which we've never grown before). This is the first time I've ever eaten the beet greens and they're great. Sauted shallots and garlic and tossed in the greens. They wilt down to nothing. Put them on a ciabatta topped with fresh parm cheese, back in the oven 'til cheese melted - mmmmmmm! Even my husband, who is an extremely picky eater, enjoyed them! Our corn has tassels and for that I can't wait. Dug up some red skin potatoes last week, boiled them and tossed with little butter and fresh lemon zest and juice - excellent~~~ Did peapods and broccoli with beef for a stirfry too!

Your salads look great! Didn't realize that the sweet peas were edible!! Learn something new everyday!!!

JudyK

Allison, I'd find someone in my neighborhood that grows good tomatoes and pepper them with questions, and then do what they do. Out here, no one can grow good ones, but your conditions are better. I don't think it gets hot enough for them here; they need real heat, consistent heat, to fruit enough to be worth growing IMO. Most years even you don't get that.

Next year, try growing cherry tomatoes from a hanging basket, upside-down. The roots get the heat of the sun that way.

Allison, I'd find someone in my neighborhood that grows good tomatoes and pepper them with questions, and then do what they do. Out here, no one can grow good ones, but your conditions are better. I don't think it gets hot enough for them here; they need real heat, consistent heat, to fruit enough to be worth growing IMO. Most years even you don't get that.

Next year, try growing cherry tomatoes from a hanging basket, upside-down. The roots get the heat of the sun that way.

Hey Karen,

I've been growing tomatoes up side down for years. In fact I wore one of my "topsey turvey" baskets out. The new ones they have out now are not the same as those I paid $19 a piece for. They are so cheaply made.

I have a drip water system that waters twice a day when it is between 85 and 90. I counted 15 tomatoes so far and there are at least 50 or 60 more blossoms.

The trick is to plant two tomatoe plants together. I usually plant a cherry (my favorite) and a medium size such as Early girl. I also tried planting two pepper plants this season. But they are not doing as well. My mom use to grow zucchini in her's for years.

Good luck, they are fun to plant and watch grow upside down.

Lisa

I've been growing tomatoes up side down for years. In fact I wore one of my "topsey turvey" baskets out. The new ones they have out now are not the same as those I paid $19 a piece for. They are so cheaply made.

Lisa

You don't have to buy anything special. Just look it up online for how to make your own. And, I'd never do container gardening without a drip irrigation system, even up here. (In Los Gatos, it was absolutely essential.) I'm too unreliable. They are a pain to set up, but once you've bitten the bullet and done it, they are worth every penny.

When ever I eat corn, I marvel at the fact that each piece of silk needs to be pollinated by bees in order to form one corn kernel. Good ol mom nature is a magician. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a picture of Sitka in the Garden:

sitkagarden.JPG

It doing very well, and we are really enjoying the whole thing.

Question:

My friend told me I should not have planted the cucumbers so near the pumpkin. She says they cross pollinate and we'll get pumpcumbers, or cukins, which will be inedible.

So you experienced gardener's out there, how far apart do they have to be? I hear the general rule is no vine plants together, but in a small garden plot, how do you manage it?

One more picture of my Tomato box:

tomatobox.JPG

This is last week, just after adding the top level. They have already filled the whole thing. Lots of lovely tomatoes, hoo ray!

Finally got our garden pre-tilled.

picking up a load o' horse shyte from a friend... ;)

Work that in, and let it stew all winter mmmmmmm.

Plants will think it's yummy next year :blink: