Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Update On Kaposia

In the meantime, whereabouts are you guys? We're in Dupage and frequent the Dupage dog park circuit regularly...let's a make a plan.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This morning while we were out running errands, she figured out how to roll down the power windows in the van. No fluke, 6-8 times she crawled over my lap, studied the button, pressed it with her paw,

Yes, Nytebyker, Kaposia is from Choco X Raven, 3/23/15. More updates...she's finally big enough to "mouth" a tennis ball. We've had 6 accident free days with the house training (she's finally got me t

...been in a bit of a directionless free fall since retirement...rediscovered my sketch book today...

Posted Images

Took Kaposia for her December "pawdicure" and to pick out some toys for Christmas. The paws down favorite? A "Barks" root beer squeeky bottle! (Just needs to figure out which end is up.)

What a cutie!

• 5 months later...

Anyone had an issue with siezures? 5:00AM today heard Kaposia vomiting, only a tiny amount, she then ran downstairs and was found lying on her side, shaking, with her feet "paddling." Only lasted briefly, no loss of urine or stool. Off to the emergency vet. Check-up, abdominal x-rays, blood work. Nothing abnormal. They said it could be a one-off incident, or it may repeat. Watchful waiting....

Well, here goes...confessions of bad puppy parents. We all know chocolate, salt, grapes, and onions are bad for dogs. Walnuts and pecans...not so much. There was a piece of walnut in Kaposia's vomitus this morning which got me thinking and researching. Turns out walnuts and pecans can develop a mold on them that is neurotoxic to dogs causing SIEZURES.

Kaposia is three and a half years old, and not often...rarely...if we're eating walnuts or pecans, we'll give her just a couple. Never a problem until today...she must have gotten a moldy one. No more nuts.

The emergency vet just called with the radiology report on the x-rays...all clear. I ran my thoughts on the walnut by the reporting vet, and he said, "Could very well be, just watch her and get back to us if there's any more vomiting or siezures. So far she seems fine again, hope it's over.

Talk about guilt!!!!! Confessing this and putting it out there so nobody else makes this mistake.

• Like 2

wow i had no idea about nuts...so very glad she is ok...that must have been very scary . Food poison is a fear for zuni since he will consume nearly anything he finds on the floor and he has a very good nose.

• Like 2

Yes, anything that hits the floor is fair game. More than once I've scrambled around the kitchen floor after dropping one of our vitamins in the morning. Thank goodness for the Internet and reliable sources to research our questions. Kaposia actually got one of my B12 tabs once...turns out dogs need all the B vitamins also, and there was no harm.

• Like 1

Oh, my how terrible and scary that must have been! Glad Kaposia is ok....oh, the floor scrounging!!! I find that hubby is a messy coffee pourer, and before grinding the beans, some invariably land on the floor...I rush to get them before Kitchee can get to them. He's a hyper dog without caffeine- IMAGINE?? There are things they simply don't find appetizing....Wyot instantly feels whatever it is he ate does not sit well (can't watch them all the time, and they find things they shouldn't have, lol!), and eats and eats grass until he vomits. Kitchee is NOT like that, so I am a bit more vigilant. (remember the story of the whole bar of soap he ate????!!)

Don't beat yourself up- no such thing as bad puppy parents- you love them and always think you are doing your best- we live and learn!

• Like 1

So glad she is okay! I used to have a Husky with epilepsy and it is so scary watching them go through a seizure - especially the first time it happens!!

Hopefully it was just caused by the nuts and only a one time thing!

• Like 1

Seizures are never good. They can take a lot out of both human and canine. It's a very helpless feeling knowing there is nothing that can be done during the seizure but watch. Its heart breaking to see. I hope this is just a one time episode. Keep a close watch. Sending you all good wishes.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a few photos of our trip to the U.P. of Michigan to inspect our property after a timber sale. Our forester, Jake did a great job of overseeing everything. Kaposia needed a nap after a long day in the woods. We do keep her on a long leash even in the woods. We have wolves, and entire packs of bear dogs have been killed when working/training in the area. So far there have been no more seizure issues...must have been that walnut.(One sideways photo, tried unsuccessfully to rotate it.)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I love that last picture. Very UP. We love the UP. Hope you have many thimble berries and "shore" berries for good jam and pie!

Had not heard about the bear dogs. Too bad. I have seen posts on health mountain lion populations.

• Like 1

Awesome! We were in Marquette staying at the Rippling River resort (new this year 5 star camping btw) over labor day. Saw some bob cat tracks on the way to a nearby waterfall, so nothing large and carnivorous..Fortunately the areas we hike are so popular that we figure we aren't the most delicious thing out there ;)

• Like 1

I'm on a camp ground connection that somehow made 2 of the same post. I'll leave this in the weird things that rarely happen for moderators pile.

That said, if we are ever in the UP at the same time you are most welcome to visit our campfire or hike with us.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 1

Sounds great! Ha-ha! Guess where we stayed in August?...Rippling River in one of the "primitive" cabins! Neat new resort, eh? Yes, the wi-fi there is sketchy. When we were there I gave up. Our property is between 553 and Silver Creek Road. Small world!

Edited by LakeGirl
  • Like 1

It would have been a treat to be there at the same time! I love that place. We usually camp in the full hook ups near the left end - shade and the wifi booster is right there on a tree. If you ever see a 1960 airstream it's probably us. Next time we're up I'll have to look at where Silver Creek is. We go up a few times a year, usually around some local mountain bike races. Naturally Cake and Waki would be a good hint. I'll be looking for your lovely burnt umber AID..

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Another big family Easter celebration and Kaposia is all tired out from running with the grandkids all day. She's such a sweet love, just like a little kid, asleep with her new Easter toys. She does this every time she gets a new toy...sleeps with it in her paws and even brings it up to bed with her at night.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Not the greatest quality photo, but I finally caught her smiling (which she does a lot!) Happiest with a lot of people and activity going on. Always on the move so a lot of pics are a furry brown blur.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Very nice picture. Merry Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy holidays everyone.  This year sure is different with the COVID GRINCH coming in and stealing the family holiday whoopla.   Stay safe, be mindful.  I'm thankful for my fur friends that keep me on track.  

• 1 month later...