Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Picasso..pico For Short :d

Hello to all

I will first introduce myself and my husband.
We are, Jackie and Ron from Nanaimo, BC. Vancouver Island.
We have 3 of Arlene's beautiful Desert Lynx Cats. Emma, Blue and Gizmo...they will be playing a big part of our new puppies life as they will be letting him know how to treat cats. They have been our 'dogs' up until a few weeks ago because they are more dog than cat. Our DLX's have been quite interested in this new addition and I can only assume that they are wondering why he is here and when is he leaving?
Pico is such a beautiful pup to us. Not only with his markings but his personality is just lovely and loving.
Of course he bites and jumps at this point but for the most part...he really knows when it's time to play and time to be quiet. I literally have been treating him like a baby. Redirecting his bad actions towards something else at his point. Like Ron says..."He's got puppy mind."
I have been following the forum and I personally like order. You all have helped immensely with information.
Pico already knows what to expect of me. If he is in his play pen...I will walk by without eye contact so he knows that I'm busy. I work from home so this is important.
Luckily for Pico, Ron is able to take him where ever he goes and can have him in his shop during the day.
He is such a smart little puppy!
He already will sit if we need to put his leash on or open a door.
He isn't quite potty trained. He would never go in his play pen but he's not quite sure about the boundaries between that playpen and the door outside. It seems, anything goes and if we are playing there is no ques...he'll just pee as he plays. I'm sure as his bladder matures...this will happen less.
He's been dry through the night since he was 8 weeks. Cried once on the second night in the hotel room on the way home. That was really tough. Felt bad for any folks staying near us.
We are so happy with our new addition....
We attended the gathering in August of 2014 and will be there for 2015. It's a special treat for us since we have Arlene's beautiful cats and now a beautiful pup from Kim.
Feeling blessed to be in such a positive group of AI Dog owners.
  • Like 3

Welcome Jackie and Ron. We met when you were up here in August. I am happy you got your puppy and that you are participating in the forum. I look forward to hearing more as Pico grows up and hope to see all of you next year. Enjoy.

Very happy to hear you have such a nice big family, and especially the new addition. :) Pics of all, please!! :D Excited and happy for you. Welcome aboard!

• Like 1

So happy to meet you on the forum Jackie and Ron. Hope I can make the 2015 gathering to meet you all in person. In the meantime, I look forward to hearing about your adventures with Pico and the cats. :D

• Like 1

Thank you to all of you for your warm welcome.

I tried to put up pictures yesterday and that is why this post went up 2 extra times :rolleyes:

Any advice on that? Also, how does a person correct or alter a post once it's up, please?

Pico has turned into a little Houdini! He figured how to move the playpen walls to sneak out the side. First thing on his agenda! A cat toy!! Muawahahahhahaa

Now when I'm in my office...and it's quiet....I think..Dang!.....the stinker must be out again!

Ron has zap strapped the corners of his playpen wall on either side so it's not able to swing away from his nook now.

We'll see how the furniture fairs in the morning :P

• Like 1

You do have a certain amount of time to edit your post. You will see an "edit" button at the bottom of the post window.

However, it is useful to get in the habit of "preview". That will be at the bottom of your window, before you hit "post". That way you can change things and see how they will look before you post.

After that, you need to ask a mod to fix it for you, and we are happy to do that.

• Like 1

What litter is Picasso from again?

That's great that he's sleeping through the night already!

I think I have a late bloomer (at 11.5 weeks, slept through the night last night) .....

OR MAYBE ----- she just liked getting me up to go look at the stars! LOL!

Please keep your stories and pics coming Jackie and Ron.

Love to hear about everyone's new pups and updates!

THANKS!

Well, I spent a whole lotta time replying to you all when BAM! Our Wi-Fi went on the fritz. So here we go again.

"What litter is Picasso from again?"

Picasso is from Rowdy and Little Bird. Her pups have Bear Dog in them so I'm hoping Pico can stare down some deer too! Anyone have pups that like deer poop?

The Vet said not to worry. It's mostly just not socially acceptable. The worst he'll get is a tummy ache....the upside is he'll get some Vit. B ;)

Picasso's Name:

Ron and I had settled on our pup, male or female to be 'Mica", but when we met Picasso....well, he just did't suit the name.

Ron, myself Arlene and Kim went to dinner that night at the 'Angry Moose'. It was there that Kim asked what I liked about Pico. I said it was the white on his half his muzzle and the half white ring on the other side of his neck. Then Kim came up with Picasso. Paci for short? We changed it to Pico for short since Paci is really not PC around these parts! :wacko:

I love this little boy...regardless of what he's doing and where you are, if he's not sleeping it seems he always has his eyes on you. Like a Mona Lisa. Oh those piercing Blue eyes!

He weighed in at 9.9lbs when he went to the vet at 8wks one day. I'm looking forward to puppy training school as he's going to be able to jump over his playpen soon! The only time he barks in there is when he needs to 'do his business' or the cats are taunting him. :ph34r: If we let him out, he's on the run sniffing out cat toys to chew... The cats are a bit lazy when it comes to putting them away.

Gizmo seems to be the bravest of our 3 cats to venture close to the playpen. Pico has received many a swat but no claws out. Are cats are really good that way. They'll never bite you when you ruff up their bellies either. They like it.. :rolleyes:

I don't know if any of you knit or know of someone that does. Pico has a knitted baby ball. I put a bell in it and he loves to play with it! I'm surprised he hasn't ripped it yet...it seems indestructible at this point.

Still haven't mastered the Avatar or pictures yet I'll get there.

I love the name also. I too would like to hear the story behind the name. http://moderndogmagazine.com/articles/picassos-dogs/20275 Good thing he never met your dog indian :0

Sherab: We would of lost Pico to him for sure!!! Thank you for the compliment :wub:

Edited by BC Jackie
  • Like 1

Yes ours like those free chocolates from the sky and also rabbit raisins. Other scat is mostly for rolling in... I figure the bear eat that vegan poo after hibernation to get the gut going so I don't worry about it either.

We have a large number of rabbits in our area and neighborhood, so our back yard is absolutely covered in rabbit pellets. Kito loves them, and there are so many, it'd be impossible to keep him from it :wacko: he's had several um, tummyaches recently and seems to enjoy eating poop. Generally the consensus seems to be that they might have a vitamin deficiency when they do that, or that they're craving something in their diet? We've tried several different foods so far, and it's hard to find one that doesn't give him just *eye watering* gas. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Well I feel better about the poop? :wacko: We do give him a vitamin everyday...

Ron takes Pico for a walk around the inside boarder of our property every day. We have forest on 2 sides that Pico cannot go into yet since he'll easily get high centered :huh:

Ron had Pico were at the edge of the trees when all of a sudden....Pico stopped and looked into the forest. The back of his hair stood right up. We do have cougars and bear in our area too. Pico turned, not running, but definitely heading back to the house. If figure THAT'S when you listen to your Indian Dog. He won't be off leash in the yard until he's too big for an Eagle to swoop down and grab him either.

Pico would fair well as a sled dog! He's so happy to be on his leash....pulling....he don't know where and he don't care :lol: Half the time his front feet aren't even touching the ground. Happy little prancing puppy.

Thank you all for your info on the poop topic...

OH!!! Pico lost his first tooth yesterday too! :)

Edited by BC Jackie
  • Like 3
We have a large number of rabbits in our area and neighborhood, so our back yard is absolutely covered in rabbit pellets. Kito loves them, and there are so many, it'd be impossible to keep him from it :wacko: he's had several um, tummyaches recently and seems to enjoy eating poop. Generally the consensus seems to be that they might have a vitamin deficiency when they do that, or that they're craving something in their diet? We've tried several different foods so far, and it's hard to find one that doesn't give him just *eye watering* gas. :rolleyes:

Mommom, kinda had that problem - Oh we're talking about the pups now ...... heee heeee

Vet found Tayamni had high bacteria in her intestines and I had to add sweet potato and rice in food for a little while. It didn't help the gas but eliminating bully sticks and had to go on Tylan for 10 days worked.

Also, I had started pup on probiotics and that made gas WORSE - she developed a full belly of gas that smelled like bully sticks ....

That is why we tried the fiber first then had to go to the antibiotics. Tylan is supposed to have some probiotics in it also - different than what I first gave her.

It's been a week and I'm just introducing bully sticks back again. We'll see...... fingers crossed!

• Like 1

I lived in a condo a couple years ago and had a neighborhood hawk - eat doves on my back patio and once ate a squirrel on my front stoop.

(ALL I FOUND WHEN I GOT HOME WAS A TAIL AND ONE BACK FOOT!)

Since I got Tayamni a Turkey Vulture has been flying low over my home, yard and neighborhood. I'd rather have the hawk. :wub:

or parrots, or the blue jays, finches and doves that live in the trees nearby.

I know you are serious about the being careful until Picasso grows bigger than an Eagle's dinner! :o

We are fortunate here to not have golden eagles (at least not often) and our largest resident owl is the great horned. I think I breathed easier when Waki finally made 15 lbs - took him a long time. It is a good point about pup safety you bring up. Know your local raptors too.

• Like 2

We are fortunate here to not have golden eagles (at least not often) and our largest resident owl is the great horned. I think I breathed easier when Waki finally made 15 lbs - took him a long time. It is a good point about pup safety you bring up. Know your local raptors too.

Indeed, we were thankful when our dogs got big enough to not be carried away by local eagles, hawks or owls.

We've also had crow families raising their "pups" in our back yard. I'm actually thinking that if a raptor got serious about one of our pups, the crows would have rallied to their defense like we've seen them do for their own babies.

And, I've stopped counting how many times crow babies have been sleeping in the lawn a few yards from our sleeping pups.

The crows clean up after the dogs are finished with bones, chews, etc.

• Like 2
Indeed, we were thankful when our dogs got big enough to not be carried away by local eagles, hawks or owls. We've also had crow families raising their "pups" in our back yard. I'm actually thinking that if a raptor got serious about one of our pups, the crows would have rallied to their defense like we've seen them do for their own babies. And, I've stopped counting how many times crow babies have been sleeping in the lawn a few yards from our sleeping pups. The crows clean up after the dogs are finished with bones, chews, etc.

Is that Nature in Harmony - or - Harmony in Nature? :P:D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1