Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

I have noticed in last few weeks we have had a number of new members.

Welcome!!

It would be nice to know a little bit about you. When you register let us know where your from. Perhaps you are in an area where some of us could get together.

Thanks, Lisa

• 1 year later...
I have noticed in last few weeks we have had a number of new members.

Welcome!!

It would be nice to know a little bit about you. When you register let us know where your from. Perhaps you are in an area where some of us could get together.

Thanks, Lisa

Hi, I am new to the forum. After emailing Kim, he sent me an email telling me to check out the forum for more information on AI Dogs.

We've searched high and low for the right breed for our family and when we thought we found one we stumbled across the AI dog breed. Wow! I couldn't believe how close fit this breed is to what we are looking for! We also like the idea that the breed would fair very well in the Utah climate.

Right now we are looking to find out more information about the breed including what type of food is good for this breed and if all AI dogs are high energy or if there are a mix with some high energy and some with medium energy.

We are also looking to see what is good to obtain prior to getting an AI dog so that we can be prepared and settled so we can welcome in the new member to our family with as much calmness and readiness as we can give. Thanks!

Hi Trish

the Aid puupies are high energy like all puppys these dogs can be full of energy and get in the house and totally be chilled these dogs love to be busy loves the woods out in nature they are very at home there they are quick runner great for kids , joggers , they will adapted to what ever the family does camping fetch my pup loves to fetch he will wear me out . from what I have found out they love the winter snow and all that Malachi first snow was this year he acted like he had been around it for ever my older dog loves to play in it as well . As far as food I feed mine all naturle dry and snakes canadiaalso veggiies raw and cooked meat it s up to you what you can aford but personally stick with the natural foods there are alot out there. hope this helped

Hi, I am new to the forum. After emailing Kim, he sent me an email telling me to check out the forum for more information on AI Dogs.

We've searched high and low for the right breed for our family and when we thought we found one we stumbled across the AI dog breed. Wow! I couldn't believe how close fit this breed is to what we are looking for! We also like the idea that the breed would fair very well in the Utah climate.

Right now we are looking to find out more information about the breed including what type of food is good for this breed and if all AI dogs are high energy or if there are a mix with some high energy and some with medium energy.

We are also looking to see what is good to obtain prior to getting an AI dog so that we can be prepared and settled so we can welcome in the new member to our family with as much calmness and readiness as we can give. Thanks!

Hi Trish

the Aid puupies are high energy like all puppys these dogs can be full of energy and get in the house and totally be chilled these dogs love to be busy loves the woods out in nature they are very at home there they are quick runner great for kids , joggers , they will adapted to what ever the family does camping fetch my pup loves to fetch he will wear me out . from what I have found out they love the winter snow and all that Malachi first snow was this year he acted like he had been around it for ever my older dog loves to play in it as well . As far as food I feed mine all naturle dry and snakes canadiaalso veggiies raw and cooked meat it s up to you what you can aford but personally stick with the natural foods there are alot out there. hope this helped

Thank you. And yes, I'm sure many puppies are pretty busy. =) Thanks.

I've read several articles on the American Indian dog and I never saw any health problems on the articles but I stumbled across one that stated that the Native American Indian Dog is normally a healthy breed but they can suffer from a few health problems such as - hip dysplasia, patellar luxation - dislocation of the knee, difficulty in birthing, chronic ear infection, and bloat. Is this true?

I've also seen two different views on the dog - one states they are not watchdogs and the other one states they are really good watch dogs. Which one is it? We are not looking for a dog that is going to go out and mame anyone but we would like to know the dog will be watchful when I am home alone or our teenagers are home alone.

I've also found conflicting articles about the AI dogs sticking near their family. Other articles state that you have to have them on a leash at all times when outside because they will bolt for hunting instinct reasons.

Can anyone help with these questions? Thank you all so much!

I've read several articles on the American Indian dog and I never saw any health problems on the articles but I stumbled across one that stated that the Native American Indian Dog is normally a healthy breed but they can suffer from a few health problems such as - hip dysplasia, patellar luxation - dislocation of the knee, difficulty in birthing, chronic ear infection, and bloat. Is this true?

I've also seen two different views on the dog - one states they are not watchdogs and the other one states they are really good watch dogs. Which one is it? We are not looking for a dog that is going to go out and mame anyone but we would like to know the dog will be watchful when I am home alone or our teenagers are home alone.

I've also found conflicting articles about the AI dogs sticking near their family. Other articles state that you have to have them on a leash at all times when outside because they will bolt for hunting instinct reasons.

The health problems you have mentioned I have not heard of any prevalence of these in our dogs, they are usually fit and strong, Shunka's mother had her last litter of pups when she was 9, and had no problems then either!

They are so naturally built, and Kim is so careful not to breed faults into the dogs, I would have a word with him.

Yes I have had problems with Shunka, but he has recovered emazingly quickly, but hos problem was not just common to this breed and could have happened no m atter what dog he was, and is not common in the AID dog. Modern foods may not have helped either.

Watch dogs - yes Shunka is, he is very watchful of the house, tent and car, he is very protective of me and mine, but this does not make him a vicious dog. Although he is excellent this way, it does not mean they all are! They are very different in themselves, they are not bred to be identical, Kim could also advise on this he is extremely careful to match the dogs to the owners.

Yes, the hunting instinct can be strong, but does not make them impossible to recall, sometimes it takes a little longer, but they don't run off! shunka knows precisely where i am!

Also be careful that the dogs being written about are our AIDS, there are others called by this name but are not of this stock.

Here in Britain, there is a dog called The Northen Innuit, this is a malumute cross German Shephard being sold indiscriminately, and is not a good pet at all, this will carry all the inherant faults of the german shepherd for instance.

I have had Shunka for 12 years now, and have never regretted it at all, he is a dog who acts like a dog should, what more would I wish!

Good morning Liz, and welcome to the world of AID's,

My dog is 10 months and a wonderful "door bell" which is what I call a gentle watch dog. He always lets me know if there is a stranger, either animal or human on the property, and at the same time very welcoming to those he knows. I would imagine one could train more into the dog if necessary, but I prefer the gentle side of things. I have grand kids that visit, and I needed a dog that was going to be trustful around the little ones, all under age 4.

I live on 5 unfenced acres in the redwood forest, and have not had the problem of Tolinka taking off after a deer or coyote, which are occasional visitors on the way to the river. I was worried about the lack of fence, and Kim said, just walk the property line, and he will "get it." He did! :) He is always within ear shot, and his recall is immediate.

He has a gentle soul and is a wonderful teacher to other young puppies. His energy is medium, which is perfect for me as I spend LOTS of time either in the garden or in my art studio. He is satisfied with a handful of short (15 minutes) bouts of play per day if that's all I have time for, but thankfully it is usually longer periods of time. I have to admit that one of his favorite friends is this little dashound / chihuahua mix and the two of them run each other to total collapse. It's a pretty funny sight. They are the odd couple of the neighborhood.

Let Kim know what kind of energy level you want in a dog, and let HIM pick the pup for you. He did for me and I couldn't be happier. He is a perfect personality and energy fit, and I guarantee you, that if I had picked out a pup for myself, I would have chosen all wrong. We as humans sometimes get caught up in the visual of the pup instead of the temperament, energy level, and personality. The appearance of these pups change so much in 10 months that it is amazing. (check out "changes" on the forum) I am thankful to Kim on a daily basis for choosing my pup for me. I have never had such a wonderfully responsive animal.

My best to you.

Nice reply, Liz!

Trish,

The Native American Dog is a wolf cross--not at all our dogs. They have many problems because of irresponsible breeding, and wolf dogs have many problems trying to fit into society.

Many people confuse the two, and that is why those disreputable breeders chose the name--to cut into Kim's business. They even had the gall to ask if he thought that name would help them to sell their hybrids. Our dogs are American Indian Dogs.

Our dogs are extremely healthy. When one comes up with a common health issue, it is news! They live very long lives. Kim's current oldest, is 18, and still jumps to the top of the teepee platform, and rules the roost! As Lis mentioned, her dog is 12, and still going strong. My first one is 9 and people ask how old that puppy is?!

These dogs make excellent watch dogs. They come to know who your friends are and can tell you with a bark, if it is a stranger or a friend. They are also good in the wild, and let you know if there is danger ahead.

You might enjoy this discussion about a young pup:

scroll down to post #8

I can also attest that my dog will let me know if there is trouble, without adding to it.

My dog bolted only one time, and he kept turning to make sure I was following. He has never done it again, in all these 9 years. Our new pup stays close to him, even in the woods, and is already very attached to us at 16 weeks. He comes to a whistle, as perfectly as I could ask.

I'll tell you what, they are highly intelligent, and a clean slate, that is predisposed to work with you (Thank you Kim). It is up to the owner to provide the leadership that makes them blossom into the true working dogs of the First Nation's People.

They will be more than a dog, they will be part of your family.

Hi Molly. We must have been answering at the same time. It sounds like a good life, you have.

Nice reply, Liz!

Trish,

The Native American Dog is a wolf cross--not at all our dogs. They have many problems because of irresponsible breeding, and wolf dogs have many problems trying to fit into society.

Many people confuse the two, and that is why those disreputable breeders chose the name--to cut into Kim's business. They even had the gall to ask if he thought that name would help them to sell their hybrids. Our dogs are American Indian Dogs.

Our dogs are extremely healthy. When one comes up with a common health issue, it is news! They live very long lives. Kim's current oldest, is 18, and still jumps to the top of the teepee platform, and rules the roost! As Lis mentioned, her dog is 12, and still going strong. My first one is 9 and people ask how old that puppy is?!

[sup]Allison I have to strongly agree Trish My Older is two Nand he is timid but he will tell you when there is a car out front a stranger someone at the door trust me you want this kind of watch dog and they have differnet barks for each AND WHEN I COME HOME THERE IS A SPECIAL ONE FOR THAT HAHA

Now my 5 MONTH OLD IS STARTING Malachi does not like anyone around the car even if they are two block away even cars his hackles go up and his bark deepens So I now have triple alarm

[/sup]These dogs make excellent watch dogs. They come to know who your friends are and can tell you with a bark, if it is a stranger or a friend. They are also good in the wild, and let you know if there is danger ahead.

You might enjoy this discussion about a young pup:

scroll down to post #8

I can also attest that my dog will let me know if there is trouble, without adding to it.

My dog bolted only one time, and he kept turning to make sure I was following. He has never done it again, in all these 9 years. Our new pup stays close to him, even in the woods, and is already very attached to us at 16 weeks. He comes to a whistle, as perfectly as I could ask.

I'll tell you what, they are highly intelligent, and a clean slate, that is predisposed to work with you (Thank you Kim). It is up to the owner to provide the leadership that makes them blossom into the true working dogs of the First Nation's People.

They will be more than a dog, they will be part of your family.

I dont know about covers but they hog up the bed many times I wake stiff trying to mold sround the 3 of them OH and a cat at times then the have nerve to wake me up super early the older ones do hahahah

but I wouldnt trade for anything

..and they will steal your covers and pillows in the night.

Trish,

Welcome.....

I have to tell you that I did alot of research about the American Indian Dogs before we got our Chhaya. As Allison said there IS a difference between the American Indian Dogs and "Native" American Indian Dogs....don't be fooled by the "Native" American Indian Dogs.

Kim is VERY good at what he does with these dogs....I trust him COMPLETLY!!! He knows his stuff with these dogs and I am 100% happy with him helping us with everything!!!

Chhaya is 4 months old now and to be honest it is different training her compared to any other dog I have had. It's almost like they teach you too! I have had to learn a little more patience.....it has been good for me! They say they are a healing dog.....I agree with that totally! Chhaya has LOTS of energy....and it's been 10 years since I last trained a pup. Things are coming along great now that I have relaxed more. She knows how to sit, lay down, stay, come (still working on when there is distractions but there is lots of progress!) and she will shake....that paw comes at us at full force Bwahahaha!!! We have lots of yard for her to play in but she likes to go through about a 20 - 30 ft wooded area to get to my parents house...little stinker anyway....we are working on keeping her in our yard. I am making progress with that too. I walk her to my sister and brother-in-law's barn where the horses are (mine also) to do the barn work. She loves the horses.....the night before last my niece and I went riding our horses with her Golden Retriever Buddy and Chhaya. She actually stayed closer to us than Buddy did. She always turns to see where I am. Last night I rode again and took Chhaya with me. We came upon some deer and I was afraid what might happen....she saw them and I told her to stay with me but she ran after them, I continued to call but.....she got out of sight....I whistled and she came right back....I really praised her. We went further and then came back and saw them again, she started to go but I whistled again and she stayed right with me. I was very happy with her. She is going to be just fine, but I have to learn to trust her and know she will come back. We had a dog when I was growing up that ran off after deer and was gone all night. We did find him the next morning but as a kid it scared me and I guess I still had this memory stuck inside me...this is that healing part that they talk about I think. She helped me release that fear! Amazing dogs....they seem to know what you need even when you don't realize it yourself!!!

As far as a guard dog.....I believe she would protect me at all costs....at three months I took her out after dark, there was something in the woods and it was the first time she really barked alot and she positioned herself between me and whatever it was in the woods....she wouldn't let me go to the other side of her. I was so amazed at that for her only being three months. Last night she woke me up with a deep growl and then I smelled it...a skunk must have been outside our bedroom window and she didn't settle down until I shut the window...not sure if it was the smell Bwahahaha or if she just didn't like the fact that it was near the house!!! She loves people, kids, other dogs and horses and she loves our cat Annie. She gets a little rough with her at times but Annie taunts her at times too Bwahahaha!!!

These dogs are soooo amazing and I am just so happy that we chose this breed and I am very blessed that Kim choose Chhaya for us. When he sent us pictures I saw Chhaya and it was like she was looking right into my soul. I emailed Kim that she was the one I thought I was most interested in and he emailed back that she was the one he thought would be good for us. He was so right!!! I think having her shipped to us on the east coast was the hardest part for me.....maybe our next one we will drive from PA to Oregon to get....my dream vacation!!! Bwahahaha!!!

Take care and keep us on the forum updated!!!

Maria

Thanks all for the information. I'm sold. =)

My husband and I and kids are really excited about this breed. Sounds perfect for us.

Take care! And thanks again.

Just you wait till you meet them, then nothing else will do!

Thanks all for the information. I'm sold. =)

My husband and I and kids are really excited about this breed. Sounds perfect for us.

Take care! And thanks again.

Just wanted to pop in again and tell you of a situation that happened yesterday afternoon. I was down at the river with Tolinka as he was playing with her best dog friend Brooklyn the LRD (little rat dog) and a small boy of 4 years old whom he had never met. I noticed that Tolinka was keeping an eye on this little boy as he was racing around on the beach with Brooklyn at the rivers edge. At one point Tolinka (like he was taking a break from all the running) meandered quietly over to the boy and positioned himself between this boy and the deeper part of the river. (There really wasn't any danger for there were two adults there, but it was interesting to watch this dog take gentle control of a situation he didn't feel comfortable about. Next I watched Tolinka quietly "herd this kid back to a shallower place, and once the boy was safe (in Tolinka's mind) went running off again with the LRD all the while still keeping a watchful eye on the boy. The boy had no idea what Tolinka had just done because it was so subtle. So the boy found him self in the deeper area again. Again quietly Tolinka went to the boy and this time Tolinka gently took hold of the boy's long sleeve of his tee shirt and quietly guided him back to the shallows. Now I have to say, all of this was very subtle with fluid motion, that the baby sitter didn't notice this event. ........keep your eyes open, there is LOTS to see and learn! I just love these dogs. :)

Just wanted to pop in again and tell you of a situation that happened yesterday afternoon. I was down at the river with Tolinka as he was playing with her best dog friend Brooklyn the LRD (little rat dog) and a small boy of 4 years old whom he had never met. I noticed that Tolinka was keeping an eye on this little boy as he was racing around on the beach with Brooklyn at the rivers edge. At one point Tolinka (like he was taking a break from all the running) meandered quietly over to the boy and positioned himself between this boy and the deeper part of the river. (There really wasn't any danger for there were two adults there, but it was interesting to watch this dog take gentle control of a situation he didn't feel comfortable about. Next I watched Tolinka quietly "herd this kid back to a shallower place, and once the boy was safe (in Tolinka's mind) went running off again with the LRD all the while still keeping a watchful eye on the boy. The boy had no idea what Tolinka had just done because it was so subtle. So the boy found him self in the deeper area again. Again quietly Tolinka went to the boy and this time Tolinka gently took hold of the boy's long sleeve of his tee shirt and quietly guided him back to the shallows. Now I have to say, all of this was very subtle with fluid motion, that the baby sitter didn't notice this event. ........keep your eyes open, there is LOTS to see and learn! I just love these dogs. :)

Standing Ovation for Tolinka that awsome my newfoundland was like that if we went out on a float she refused to let us go to far from the shore especially the kids she would drag us back or circle until we grabbed her these dog never stop wowing me

Standing Ovation for Tolinka that awsome my newfoundland was like that if we went out on a float she refused to let us go to far from the shore especially the kids she would drag us back or circle until we grabbed her these dog never stop wowing me

"

Thanks again Linda, this was really a great experience. AND the "WOW" factor just keeps getting bigger and bigger :)

M.

Kim is VERY good at what he does with these dogs....I trust him COMPLETLY!!! He knows his stuff with these dogs and I am 100% happy with him helping us with everything!!!

Chhaya is 4 months old now and to be honest it is different training her compared to any other dog I have had. It's almost like they teach you too! I have had to learn a little more patience.....it has been good for me! They say they are a healing dog.....I agree with that totally! Chhaya has LOTS of energy....and it's been 10 years since I last trained a pup. Things are coming along great now that I have relaxed more. She knows how to sit, lay down, stay, come (still working on when there is distractions but there is lots of progress!) and she will shake....that paw comes at us at full force Bwahahaha!!! We have lots of yard for her to play in but she likes to go through about a 20 - 30 ft wooded area to get to my parents house...little stinker anyway....we are working on keeping her in our yard. I am making progress with that too.

These dogs are soooo amazing and I am just so happy that we chose this breed and I am very blessed that Kim choose Chhaya for us. When he sent us pictures I saw Chhaya and it was like she was looking right into my soul. I emailed Kim that she was the one I thought I was most interested in and he emailed back that she was the one he thought would be good for us. He was so right!!! I think having her shipped to us on the east coast was the hardest part for me.....maybe our next one we will drive from PA to Oregon to get....my dream vacation!!! Bwahahaha!!!

Our experience is very similar. Luckily for us, we live 3 hrs. from Kim's, and we were able to visit him and his pups 3 times including the time we picked up Lola. It's super cool, and we were soled on the breed after spending ten minutes at Kim's. He has got the nicest most beautiful bunch of dogs.

We had to wait a long time, but it was worth every agonizing minute. Kim picked exactly the puppy we were hoping for. She was very difficult at first, but at almost 5 months old now, she is just great. She is on the shy submissive side, and she is actually quite mellow most of the time. Exactly what we wanted.

Training is definitely different. Lola is very sensitive, and she doesn't respond to a heavy hand. If I pay close attention, she will communicate with me and tell me what she needs. It is definitely an exercise in patience. It's going well, but she does escape from the yard on occasion, and the recall is spirrattic, but she is progressing beautifully.

she is also shaping up into a good watch dog. She barks briefly when someone's in the yard, but then stops and is friendly when they turn out to be friendly.

We couldn't be happier.

• 1 month later...

Hello Maria,

I am new to the list and the AI dog. I am also located in PA, are you on the east or west side of the state? I would love to meet your AI dog if ever that might be possible.

Regards,

Sue

Take care and keep us on the forum updated!!!

Maria

• 4 months later...

Hello I'm new here, my name is Nicole and right now I have two dogs a female white boxer named Bella she is my parent's, but I consider her mine too since I take care of her the most..

My other dog is my black and tan shiba inu named Saya she is the one in my avatar she is my love and joy.

I enjoy reading up on different breeds of dogs and American Indian dogs I find very interesting.

I live in the Lafayette Indiana area and have 16 acres of land most of it is field, some of it is yard, and some forest which me and the dogs takes two or three walks a day in it.

I've read everything on Song dog kennel's website and I hope to learn lots by reading the different posts on this forum. =)

Hi everyone!

My husband, Andrew, and I are currently waiting (with much excitement) for the call from Kim about our puppy's arrival. We're currently in Mississippi and should be here for another year. Andrew is in flight school for the Marine Corps and should receive his wings next fall at which point we're hoping to be stationed in California. I believe Kim said we were the only AID owners (to-be) living in Mississippi. We're all ears for tips and suggestions for training a pup!

We're all ears for tips and suggestions for training a pup!

There is so much information on the "Training Tips and Questions" board, and more on the "New Pups" board. Once you start, you'll be reading for a week!

Welcome, and I hope your wait is not too long.

Karen

Andrew and Stephanie, welcome, and at least you won't have to wait for the heat to subside, for your pup to take to the skies. We look forward to seeing your pup, and congratulations on those wings, that are coming!

Blue, hope you get interested enough to join us. I know the Shiba Inu is also a primitive breed, so you may have some experience with the intensity of our American Indian Dogs.

We have two, now, and they are so fun and interesting--we'd never own another breed.