Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

A Sad Story To Learn From

I am very saddened to share with you something that took place about a week and a half ago on July 24th 2008. Sedona, my AIDog, died. I would like to share this story not only for my healing but so that hopefully others can learn something from my experience.

Sedona was born June 22, 2007 and died at the age of one year and one month. Her father was Scout and mother CoCa.

Early Monday July 21 I had her spayed. She came home after spending over 24 hours at the vets and was doing just fine. She seemed to be healing perfectly. She never bothered her incision site. Never licked it, never smelled it, in fact seemed very normal. We kept her in a separate kennel from our other AIDog, Kyoshi, so they could see each other but not play. Wednesday night my son fed her, her evening dinner and then went to bed, as I was in an evening meeting. Two hours later when I got home, I found she had completely disemboweled herself. My heart stopped as she stood up weakly to greet me.

Without going into much detail, I would like to say I have been a paramedic now for 21 years and this was very shocking and one of the more difficult scenes I have come across.

Even though I knew deep down that probably very little could be done for her, I gathered her up and took her to the emergency vet. The vet told me she could try and save her although she had never seen such a severe case. The vet told me there was slim chance she would survive and that if she did her quality of life would be very limited. She said she would require a feeding tube and have very limited activity. For any of you who had met Sedona, you know that she was a very high energy, high drive dog and without those qualities she would be very sad.

I made a very difficult decision to have her put down. I stayed with her as she died to pet her and to provide whatever any comfort I could to her. At 2 am Thursday morning my wife and I buried her on our property.

Devastated, is one word that begins to describe how I felt. She is and will be greatly missed.

Several days later I was able to go visit Kim and talk with him. Going to visit Kim and his pack of dogs was a very helpful healing experience for me. Thanks Kim.

All the answers I will probably never have but here are some things I have learned:

1. To spay your dog is a very normal everyday safe occurrence. Of the vets I have talked to or that Kim has talked to say this is an extremely rare case. In fact so rare that some vets have never seen this happen.

2. I have learned that there are possibly different stitching methods used by different vets. One method is to double stitch (one a deeper muscle stitch and then a surface stitch), and the other method just a surface stitch. I do not know the method my vet used.

3. I have learned that there are a small handful of vets who send home a protective collar for your dog to wear just in case the dog decides to chew the stitches (These vets seem to be in the extreme minority). My vet did not provide me with a protective collar. They said if your dog doesn’t bother the incision site within the first 24 hours, they probably won’t.

There are so many small things that could have gone wrong with the procedure or the healing process it’s hard to say what went wrong. I still plan on talking to my vet to try to find out more about her procedure and what may have gone wrong, although I am doubtful that he will tell me anything.

Again, this is not meant to scare anyone away from spaying or neutering your dogs. As I talked to Kim he reminded me of all the very important plusses of spaying and neutering your dogs. The procedure really is a very safe and common procedure. As Kim has mentioned so many times how much more healthy the fixed dogs are compared to the un-fixed. Thousands of years ago the Native Americans fixed their dogs for the same reasons it is important to spay and neuter our dogs today…the improved personality of the dogs, not having to deal with the hormonal changes and the ability for them to focus on you as the trainer/pack leader. Fixed dogs just are more healthy then the un-fixed. Kim told me that most people just don’t realize how many dogs (including the AIDogs) have been run over or shot when out looking for that female in season or male to breed with. So please spay and neuter your dogs, this post is not meant to scare anyone away from doing that. We all are responsible to do this, not just because our contract says we have to, but for the health and future of the breed I just hope someone learns something from my experience.

I will continue to post any updates I may learn after I talk to my vet.

Sedona5.JPG

Sedona

Sedona....her strong little spirit, standing up to greet you... My heart breaks for you and your family. A terrible accident.

I am thankful that you found her in such close timing, that you were able to save her a very painful passing, and in fact, were with her as she left this world. It is clear she was well loved.

Thank you so much for telling us. I know it must have been difficult, but I am certain that there are others who will live because of this--her short life will not be in vain.

We honor Sedona, and her loving spirit.

Tim, We are so sorry to hear of the loss of your pet. Freak acts of nature leave us asking "Why" over and over again. When we had our dog, Zi, spayed the vet kept her longer than he normally would and it was with good reason. Her body was dissolving the stitches from the inside out and she began to open up. She didn't lick or aggrevate the area at all. Kim explains how different the make up of these dogs are and he's absolutely right. Her body was throwing the stitches and protecting itself. She had to be restitched. This happened twice but the second time it was healed enough that the vet decided to leave it alone and we watched her like a hawk.

Our hearts are with you at this very, very sad time. We've had to experience the pain ourselves and it's something you NEVER get over. You learn to live through it. She will always be in your heart and no other pet will ever take her place. May you treasure and carry with you all of the happy times you shared with her as a member of your family. One day she'll be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge to pick up where she left off.

Judy K in Michigan

Tim, We are so sorry to hear of the loss of your pet. Freak acts of nature leave us asking "Why" over and over again. When we had our dog, Zi, spayed the vet kept her longer than he normally would and it was with good reason. Her body was dissolving the stitches from the inside out and she began to open up. She didn't lick or aggrevate the area at all. Kim explains how different the make up of these dogs are and he's absolutely right. Her body was throwing the stitches and protecting itself. She had to be restitched. This happened twice but the second time it was healed enough that the vet decided to leave it alone and we watched her like a hawk.

Our hearts are with you at this very, very sad time. We've had to experience the pain ourselves and it's something you NEVER get over. You learn to live through it. She will always be in your heart and no other pet will ever take her place. May you treasure and carry with you all of the happy times you shared with her as a member of your family. One day she'll be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge to pick up where she left off.

Judy K in Michigan

Tim, Sorry about your loss. I have experienced your pain... When 'ZI' was spayed, it was determined that she was a "gut reactor" and had to be stitched with non-dissolveable sutures. That info was put in her file for future reference. Anyone having surgery on their Indian Dog should mention this possibility to their Vet, although I understand is is quite rare. Better safe...

Larry

My gosh Tim,

I can't even imagine...........

So very sorry to hear of such a thing. I don't think I'll ever forget reading about this.

Warmest condolences to you and your family during such a difficult time.

Thank you all for your thoughts and kind words.

Update: I talked with the vet today. I made an appointment with him and told him I wanted to talk and had some questions about Sedona. I've been through several vets in our community and really liked our current vet. He really seems like a genuine guy and seems to care a lot about the animals and us people.

He was very happy and willing to talk with me. He was willing to answer any questions I had or any questions that came up from the forum or Kim. He described to me in detail as to the technique he used, he drew me pictures and told me the kind of sutures he used. He invited me anytime to come watch him spay any dog. He told me he had only read about such a thing happening in journals and had never met anyone personally who had seen a dog do this to themselves. He has now changed the policies and paperwork in his office and will offer/recommend to every client a protective hood/collar when they leave with their pets.

Incidentally, I found out we have someone in my office, where I work that worked for a vet for 25 years prior to coming to work at our company and knows my vet personally. I asked her questions today also. She said she knows my vet quite well and knows who he trained with. She told me she trusted him and even takes her pets to him. She was very shocked to hear my story. She told me in her 25 years of working for the vet, she only saw this happen twice.

So basically the story is... he used a 2-0 vicryl suture and basically described to me three layers of stitching he does when he sews up every dog. He told me that for her to do what she had done she would have had to chewed through three layers of stitches, which is just unheard of. His feeling was that something had to have started bothering her, like maybe something was starting to get infected inside and she was just trying to get to whatever the problem was.

Anyway, we talked for a long time and this just a short recap of what was said. Throughout he was thoughtful and offered me condolences for our loss. When we were all done he thanked me for coming to talk with him and told me that if I were to replace her he would like to offer me a free spay/neuter.

I'll try to answer questions if you have any and if I know anything. Again, thank you all for your support.

Tim I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you, I can only understand from the way Shunka has been, he took out the stitches from his op the first time and had to be restitched before coming home, then they split a week later, there must be something with the failure of stitches with these dogs, and a collar is a MUST as soon as the operation is done. apart from that they don't seem to want to tolerate them either!

I think everyone needs to insist on this, it doesn't matter that the vets haven't seen this in another dog, Shunka took his stitches out as soon as he started to come out of the anaesthetic.

Unfortunately for us another dog was giving problems by not wanting to come around, so Shunka was left to recover!

Sp please, please don't leave your dog's on there own if you don't have a collar, and all though they aren't a nice thing, they are better than the alternatives.

On a better note, shunka is now collar and t-shirtless, the wound has completleyl healed, much to our vets surprise and pleasure.

All we can do now is enjoy him, and hope that this is the last sign of the cancer. he is very lively, fully back to being is own self, running free and easy it is such a pleasure and joy to see!

Just some good news to throw into the middle of all this...

I've got a new puppy... Went and picked him up at Kim's last week. I'm very excited!

TalonandTb.JPG Talon and Tim

Talonyawnb.JPG Talon waking from a nap

Just some good news to throw into the middle of all this...

I've got a new puppy... Went and picked him up at Kim's last week. I'm very excited!

TalonandTb.JPG Talon and Tim

Talonyawnb.JPG Talon waking from a nap

Good for you Tim,

Who is your pup's parents? My daughter and her hubby were down at Kim's this past Saturday and picked up a pup as well. They named him Chief Joseph. He is from Sandy and Jay.

Congrats to you and your family!!

Good for you Tim,

Who is your pup's parents? My daughter and her hubby were down at Kim's this past Saturday and picked up a pup as well. They named him Chief Joseph. He is from Sandy and Jay.

Congrats to you and your family!!

There were a lot of nice puppies there! I did like several of Sandy and Jay's pups but my puppie's parents are Dove and Jay.

Congrats to your family also. Did they drive down from Washington? My brother is moving to the Walla Walla area.

Cool name! You'll have to tell us how it came about on our name thread here. That's a cutie, alright.

There were a lot of nice puppies there! I did like several of Sandy and Jay's pups but my puppie's parents are Dove and Jay.

Congrats to your family also. Did they drive down from Washington? My brother is moving to the Walla Walla area.

They as well as my husband and I live in Monmouth. We are about a 15 min. drive west of Salem. Do you ever come to the Willamette Valley? It would be fun to get together.

Lisa

They as well as my husband and I live in Monmouth. We are about a 15 min. drive west of Salem. Do you ever come to the Willamette Valley? It would be fun to get together.

Lisa

OK, I'm not sure why I was thinking Washington. Yes I get up north a couple times a year and we have good friends up in McMinnville. We'll have to figure out how to connect.

We are so happy for you!

A new pup makes you moving forewords and keeps you busy. Nothing can take away the memories of your other dogs and it feels so great to make new memories ;) .

Yes. Well put. I was trying to figure out how to say that. He definitely keeps me moving, busy and thinking, but the memories are still there. I just don't have as much time to dwell on the bad memory.