Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

I did not have much choice he had his name before I got him and did not think it would be fair to change it

Snake Runner I added runner because he is a flight dog he was afraid of everything and ran away but today he loves to run and is good at it so the name fits Kim said that he named him snake because when he greeted you his whole body wiggled and then he would lay down and crawl to you ( just like mom ) like a snake in the grass hahahah

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I renamed Shasta, a white former breeder, Nefret. Nefret means beautiful in ancient Egyptian. She is very beautiful and looks like a white Anubis.

Tayamni (Azteca X Jay 09-13-2014). Tayamni is a Lakota constellation. Some believe where the souls born come from ... Yamni is Lakota for the number three and the constellation has three parts to i

WAKA ...a Sioux word meaning, Sacred. Also spelled Wakan or Wakahn. Shes expressing her maternal instinct...very protective of my Grand Niece, Ellie.

Posted Images

"Tolinka Two Moons" Tolinka means big flapping ears of a coyote from the Miwok tribe residing in the San Francisco Bay Area. Two Moons, because of his yellow eyes. I love the melodic nature of the name. I can just see the coyote romping across the meadow and his ears not skipping a beat...to... lin... ka... to...lin...ka...to...lin...la

WOW there are some great names enjoyed reading them all

well My dogs name is Snake no significant meaning kim named him he will be 2 dec 20th

I am waiting for the new litters trying to find indian name I geuss I will have to see what Kim picks for me and to see the cute face to tell ,Ihave found a few but keep going back wahtahka its sappony for man I would want to at usi in fornt of wahtahka which will means little /small so the name will little man , then theres chato apachie for flat noes and its also a renagades name I dont know we will see they are not even born yet

Don't know how anyone else feels about this but I thought I'd throw it out there and I'll go first if everyone else would like to join. I think it would be a great idea if we all listed the names of our 'kids' either the registered name and/or what we actually call the kids. I remember years ago we had entertained the idea of naming one of the dogs Koda and we could hear Kim yell all the way from Oregon -- No more Kodas -- we didn't name our dog Koda! That way none of us will use a name that's already been taken and save poor Kim a whole lot of grief with record keeping!

Let me know what you all think and I'll start it with all five of ours. Just an idea!!!!!

Judy K in Michigan

Edited by linda
  • 6 months later...
Super! Allison, I'll start with our five and do it here. If I should put it somewhere else tell me how to move the thread (right!)

Here goes!

Our first was WAHILYAM. We called him "Willie". The name meant 'red haired stranger' and since he was a red dog it fit him perfectly plus my husband loves Willie Nelson, the red haired friend!! He was on the Today Show with my husband and impressed the animal psychologist that did the show.

Second: TOISTA SHADOW DANCER. We call her "Shadow." She has one yellow eye and one that is half yellow and blue. Toista means yellow, Shadow because she followed Willie every where he went the day my husband picked her up and Dancer came from her mother, Sky Dancer.

Third: CHIEF JOSEPH. We called him "Joe."His name was to be YUMA which meant Son of the Chief and since my husband was a Police Chief at the time we thought that was fitting HOWEVER when we started calling him that name he would have no part of it. He looked at us "Like you think I'm answering to that name??" So one night my husband said "Hey, Joe" and here he comes. Then we had to find something to fit Joe!

Fourth: MIGIZI. We called her "Zi (zee). Word is Chippewa for White Eagle and she was the closet to a white dog that was born at the time. She had yellow eyes and was the absolute sweetest girl! (Not that Shadow isn't) She loved to play ball and frisbee and she thought everyone came to see her alone. She'd run to get her ball and would sit at your feet waiting for you to pay attention to her.

Fifth: BLEU. His name is for his eyes which are a white blue. He looks like the Orphan Annie dog - looks like his eyeballs are floating. All you see is the pupil!

So far, this is our list. We can't say there won't be other names, ya never know!

I think this list will be a great source for new owners naming pups. This way no one will name their pup a name that someone already has! Thanks for liking the idea!!

Judy K in Michigan

I just thought I'd bring this up again and hopefully the more recent AID owners will add their pups names to the list. It would also be great to add the parents along with it and birth dates. I hope you all jump in. :rolleyes:

So here goes:

"TOLINKA TWO MOONS" -

"Tolinka" means big flapping ears of a coyote in Miwok, He is the color of a coyote, and "Two Moons" because of his yellow eyes.

Birthdate: June 4, 2009

Dream Catcher X Shappa

Our boy is:

Draco Blue To us it means, Blue-eyed Dragon.

Born: Feb. 25, 2010

Fancy Dancer x Shappa

Ayashe- means little one in cheyanne-- i've always had german sherperds so i down

sized to aid. she's 2 1/2 yrs now and best

dog i've ever owned

Chhaya means shadow in Cherokee.... pronounced ch(like the ch in cheese)-hay-ya...she's a black sable.....and she truly is my shadow!

I too down sized from a Yellow Lab to the AIDog, she's 6 months old....she is one truly amazing dog....glad I made this choice and am truly blessed with Chhaya!!!

Malachi means messenger of god /mans messenger

Usdi Watahka mean litlle man in Sappony indian

Chhaya means shadow in Cherokee.... pronounced ch(like the ch in cheese)-hay-ya...she's a black sable.....and she truly is my shadow!

I too down sized from a Yellow Lab to the AIDog, she's 6 months old....she is one truly amazing dog....glad I made this choice and am truly blessed with Chhaya!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Our boy is:

Fancy Dancer x Shappa

Sent in our papers and got some back!!!

~~~~

Coyote Dog + Feather = Schappa

Jay Silver Heels + Sand Dancer = Fancy Dancer

Schappa + Fancy Dancer = Draco

As they say, "Mitauye Oyasin. All my relations."

• Like 1
Our boy is:

Fancy Dancer x Shappa

Sent in our papers and got some back!!!

~~~~

Coyote Dog + Feather = Schappa

Jay Silver Heels + Sand Dancer = Fancy Dancer

Schappa + Fancy Dancer = Draco

As they say, "Mitauye Oyasin. All my relations."

• 3 months later...

I mentioned it beforfe but I will add it here as it seems appropriate.

We named our pup Ziva (pronounced Zeeva) after a kick butt female tv character Ziva David (pronounced Dah-veed) played by Cote De Pablo on the show NCIS.

Her birthday is 06-20-2010 and her parents are Jay Silver-heels and Shasta.

Question: Is there a pup whose 'everyday' name is Chief?????? I'm thinking there is!

JudyK in Michigan

My daughters dog is Chief Joseph, but goes by Chief everyday. He turned 2 June 20. Or are you talking about the new litters this year/

chief is a popular name. Our Chief's name fits him so well. He is a strong leader but also gentle and fair.

I mentioned it beforfe but I will add it here as it seems appropriate.

We named our pup Ziva (pronounced Zeeva) after a kick butt female tv character Ziva David (pronounced Dah-veed) played by Cote De Pablo on the show NCIS.

Her birthday is 06-20-2010 and her parents are Jay Silver-heels and Shasta.

This is so cool, Chief our grandog was born June 20 2008 and his dad also is Jay Silver-heels. Jay silver-heels is the great nephew of my Hawk. And I guess he is also the great uncle of your Ziva.

When you told us a while back what you named her I had to laugh. That is my favorite tv show that is on. I love Ziva too!!!

Lisa

My daughters dog is Chief Joseph, but goes by Chief everyday. He turned 2 June 20. Or are you talking about the new litters this year/

chief is a popular name. Our Chief's name fits him so well. He is a strong leader but also gentle and fair.

Hi! I was asking because we just received our seventh!! pup yesterday. Flew into Detroit. My husband has a native name kinda selected but wanted to call him Chief (because he was a Police Chief!!) but I thought there was a Chief. We also had a Chief Joseph who's no longer with us and we called him "Joe"!!! It took Larry almost three weeks to pick a name for the pup we got two years ago -- this is Tsaga! I have a bet going that he won't decide on a name for at least three weeks!! The pup answers to Puppy Puppy as did Tsaga. I was surprised that she ever learned her name!!! Anyway, thanks for answering. We'll see what he comes up with!!

JudyK

P.S. In fact, your 'granddog' Chief is Tsaga's sibling. She's from Jay Silverheels and Sand Dancer. I can't believe two years have gone by since we went and picked her up. We're on an every two year cycle!! Between Kim and Larry we'll have a house full sooner than later!!! This little guy is so sweet though!! I did an interview the other day and the lady flipped when I told her we just got number 7 (really, she probably thinks we're nuts)!!

Hey Judy, so how many of the seven are still living? All seven of them? How about a group picture. :)

Hey Judy, so how many of the seven are still living? All seven of them? How about a group picture. :)

No, only four are left!! Allison has been after me to get a picture and I finally got the three older but have no clue how to get the pictures on here. My husband picked up the puppy at the airport on Tuesday and he is a cutie patootie!!! Very sweet little boy! I wish all seven were still with us. These animals are truly amazing dogs.

• Like 1
Jay silver-heels is the great nephew of my Hawk. And I guess he is also the great uncle of your Ziva.

When you told us a while back what you named her I had to laugh. That is my favorite tv show that is on. I love Ziva too!!!

Lisa

Hahahah!! Who doesn't love a powerful woman!!!

OH and thanks for a look into the family tree. I love it!

Sent our papers in yesterday..I'm sure whe're in the clear on the first choice name:

Nidoba Nesta

Nidoba means "friend"..actually "best friend" in Western Abanaki. I have a great, great, great, grandfather from that tribe. My mom is very pleased that I chose from their language.

Nesta is a nod to Robert Nesta Marley. I am not a Rastafarian but Reggae, Ska and some of its culture has been part of my life for the past 30 years.

Hahahah!! Who doesn't love a powerful woman!!!

OH and thanks for a look into the family tree. I love it!

My bad, Jay is Hawk's nephew not great nephew.

I can tell you that Ziva is the great grandaughter to Red Ryder and Sierra who are retired. Then grandaughter to Scout and Abbey. Both Scout and Abbey are also retired and with other owners. Jay Silver-heels is brother to my sisters AID Ma ii. Ziva's uncle Ma ii lives in Kingman Arizona. Her step brother Chief ( my grandog) lives here in Monmouth on 7 acres with his sister Kyla ( black lab).

It is fun when you get the family tree and see how far back it goes and the names of the othere dogs. It's like going on the web site ancestory dot com and finding long lost realatives.

Lisa

It is fun when you get the family tree and see how far back it goes and the names of the other dogs. It's like going on the web site ancestory dot com and finding long lost realatives.

Lisa

It really is cool. I just wish there were photos to go with those names. I should try to put together her family tree. When I get her papers back, will it have her ancestors on it? If yes, do you know how far back it goes?

This is so kewl. I know of a few of Jasper's half-bro/sisters from other litters. And it would be really kewl to stay in touch with his littermate's families! He is from the Echo x Rocky litter born 6-8-10 :D

Also- Lisa, I had no idea you were so close by. I used to live in Monmouth (several years ago) So many of the owners seem to be across the country, it's nice to know there are more of us around here. :)

Oh yeah, and he is Jasper Jay-Feather (as if anyone didn't know.. lolol)

It really is cool. I just wish there were photos to go with those names. I should try to put together her family tree. When I get her papers back, will it have her ancestors on it? If yes, do you know how far back it goes?

I will look for Hawk's lineage paper and I will tell you how far back it goes. It's fun to see who the parents, grandparents, greatgrandparents, etc... and so on. I love to read the cool names that they all have.

I found an awesome name the other day that I would like to name a female aid. It is Wa-kemma. It means "beautiful one" from the Yakima tribe.

Lisa

That's a lovely name.

I've been thinking of names for gals, too. Full house, though.

My baby's "Official" name is AYOKA. It's a Cherokee word that means She Brought Hapiness. It seems that Ayoka is to much for some people so it got shortened to Yoki. My name for her (when she's good ) is Yoki Hama. We don't have to get into what I call her when she's bad. (Which isn't very often.) I really like all the names I've read so far. We are some creative, deep thinkers, aint we? These dogs are AWESOME!!!!!

IMG_1222.JPG