Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

The Day We Met A Village Dog From Africa

..... and one time, at band c.... Oh NO, I mean the Dog Park!

Yesterday moring we were at our local Dog Park and I let Tayamni back in the large dog area because .... well .... no one else was there.

People and pets started strolling in and there was one dog, lean like Tayamni and had a partial bob tail with long fur bushy at the end.

I found out it is a Village Dog from Cameroon, Agrica. The guy used to live there and adopted a female pup. Kona, is 2.5 years old now.

The owner said the hardest thing for Kona from the move is that she didn't understand the dogs in the UA and therefore never really played with any at the dog park.

(He had lived up north for a bit before coming to Florida so it's not just Florida dogs).

He couldn't figure out what type of dog Tayamni was, he said she didn't look like anything predominantly so either she was a mix of a lot or something different.

Kona decided she wanted to play with Tayamni and they ran, did a little wrestling and ran some more.

The owner Chris, explained to me that the village dogs where he lived had many colors and some upright ears and some floppy, and different tails, but Kona's tail was traditional of the village dogs.

He also said the males get more robust and the females, like Kona, stay a bit smaller and she was lean like our AI Dogs.

I told Chris about Tayamni and we remarked how they were extremely comfortable with each other. They seemed to understsand each other's body language.

It was really nice to see!

Of course, we were talking so much and learning about each other's dog that I forgot to get a picture of her.

So I found a similar pic off the web this morning.

The web pic below is of a male and he is not as lean as Kona the Cameroon Village dog, Picture a lighter/slender frame, then the rib cage and tucked abdomen, and hair more like a sheltie. She was about 35 - 38 lbs. She was just a little bigger overall than Tayamni, who is 20" tall and 30.2 lbs.

It was a fun day, too bad we had to cut it short but had to get to the Reiki healing circle!Cameroon village dog- example.JPG

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1

Did the circle get healed?

Very cool.

We used to go to a dog park where there was one Catahoola. He and Coyo were so much alike, that they would pretend not to notice each other. It was funny. The two most visible dogs, blind to each other. The owner wouldn't talk to me either....?

• Like 2

I've found that a lot of dogs don't "get" Boone. And Boone is equally puzzled by them. When he spent a day with Bandit and Kito, you could see the joy on his face when he realized that these dogs understood him!

• Like 2

My experience is, they can communicate with blue healers and boarder collies pretty well (had them when Tolinka first came on board). They seem to ignore the neighborhood pit bull, but the pit, who is really friendly, doesn't ignore them and wants to figure them out, but can't and it is frustrating to him. Labs (my son's) are naturally friendly so they "play" at understanding the AIdog, but the Lab really doesn't have a clue even after spending many long weekends here and going through puppy hood together. I was going to add that all bets are off if they spend puppy hood together, but then I remembered Finn, my son's lab. :wub:

• Like 1

Tayamni was playing with a couple of Vizsla's yesterday but it was awkward. She the VERY submissive one - decided to mark the kiddie pool that the Vizsla's were using. She never went into the pool before - but finally walked in while they were there, stood still then squatted and marked!

Very proud of herself! The Vizsla's scattered and the pool got emptied and refilled.

They still played, she actually studied them more than played with them and seemed to LOVE their owner. :wub:

She ignores the Great Danes, But absolutely LOVES the Rottweiler's!!!!!!!!!!!!

She tries and tries to herd them! Every Rottweiller that comes in the Dog Park.

I wonder if she thinks she is herding a Buffalo?

She will play with some pit's - especially pit mixes, prefers the adolescents to the adults.

We have a lot of Pit Bulls and mixes down here.

She won't herd them, though, more a stalk, count a coup and run, then repeat.

I notice she enjoys running with the Ridgebacks and an Australian cattle dog mix.

She does run with young labs (there was a yellow lab in our puppy training course) mostly she runs back and forth after the dogs that are fetching.

She absolutely does NOT understand the dogs when they BAY! :( (she slinks away from them - totally clueless of the meaning, I can see her confusion).

Luckily, puppy focus - she moves on to find another dog to stalk or chase.

• Like 1

Oh I forgot she used to play with a black mouth cur also.

When I say play I mean more of the run after, but she did have a little interaction there.

I would deduce so far (in puppydom) that she gets along more naturally with other tribal and herding dogs.

How do they know? Is it the body language?

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1

My dogs love Bird dogs, and have a prejudice against Korgies. Why? I can't say.

Coyo loved all hunters. They understood each other.

• Like 1

I wonder if the bear dog makes a difference because Waki has been like a dog whisperer. Had had a girlfriend pebbles the giant Russian schnauzer- a very aloof and tricky breed. He makes friends easily and is balanced - neither dominating submissive dogs nor taking any sh$t but prefers cake to others now.

Cake on the other hand is picky and some other dogs seem to think she's prey.. For a while she didn't like any dog that was bigger but seems to have gotten over that this spring. Also loved anything littler no matter how unfriendly and bitty. Only seems to have problems with large hunting hounds (beagles , small spaniels ok) and very dominant larger dogs.

• Like 2