Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Has anyone found any stuffed toys that last ?? This guy( 10 months old) loves to carry around, shake and play with stuffed things but lately his favorite thing is shred! Boxes, paper, dog beds, sticks and stuffed animals... we got a new hedge hog toy that lasted 10 min ! He is really smart and does not go after our stuff (knock on wood) but if anyone has a idea id appreciate it. we got one of those big ropes but the head tossing makes that a dangerous option... sweet wild boy

• Like 4

I can't help ya. Ayita is a shredder. We have sturdy rubber toys here. At 3 years old I thought it would end. She finds the tiniest loose thread or flaw in the fabric and the end is near...

Photos are of a Christmas present from our neighbor dogs...

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

Edited by Carolyn
  • Like 5

There are no stuffed toys that last. I have tried them all. I do now prefer the ropes for daily chewing. Occasionally I hand out a stuffed rabbit or hedgehog (great sound), but I have no expectations that it will last. I have found that competition helps, as in two dogs, and also if you periodically pull it away from them, and goof off with it, they start to see you playing with them, they will allow it to last longer.

So now at Christmas, we buy a bunch of stuffed toys, then dole them out over the next few months.

I'm looking for a picture...

• Like 2
There are no stuffed toys that last. I have tried them all. I do now prefer the ropes for daily chewing. Occasionally I hand out a stuffed rabbit or hedgehog (great sound), but I have no expectations that it will last. I have found that competition helps, as in two dogs, and also if you periodically pull it away from them, and goof off with it, they start to see you playing with them, they will allow it to last longer.

So now at Christmas, we buy a bunch of stuffed toys, then dole them out over the next few months.

I'm looking for a picture...

so you are saying i need another dog??

• Like 3

Has anyone found any stuffed toys that last ?? This guy( 10 months old) loves to carry around, shake and play with stuffed things but lately his favorite thing is shred! Boxes, paper, dog beds, sticks and stuffed animals... we got a new hedge hog toy that lasted 10 min ! He is really smart and does not go after our stuff (knock on wood) but if anyone has a idea id appreciate it. we got one of those big ropes but the head tossing makes that a dangerous option... sweet wild boy

LOL!!! Our hedgehog toy with the squeeker in it lasted all of 3 minutes, no joke!!! Wyot LOVES to shred- boxes, pieces of wood....you name it. Christmas paper was a favorite. I found the best toy at Walmart- it is a long red (it comes in blue, neon green as well) grinning dog, with no stuffing. it has a sqeaker on both ends- he loves to squeak it- and it lasts a long time. He runs with it, gums and tries to ball it up and chew, but the squeak and then light pulling (tug of war that they love) is what he loves best. It's only 2.99! I rotate toys, so he doesn't get bored. But the red dog, well, that's his go to blanket like "unstuffed" animal. I don't think that the shredding goes away. It may wane a bit, only to come back strong again...hard rubber balls and toys seem to do best otherwise...Oh, and the hedgehog is now just another "unstuffed" animal he plays with... :P

• Like 3

https://www.chewy.com/tuffys-polly-pig-dog-toy/dp/39239?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Tuffy%27s&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKEAiA2OzDBRCdqIyIqYaaqQoSJABeJZdimK5oxQIaxBILrjs1pRp4sQYYIoqxAhCxAXMcuT2N4BoCKODw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We still have one of these pigs that Tara put a hole in (GSD that died 3 years ago) that the little dogs have not shred. I don't know though if it's because they loved Tara because we also have a venerated Target large classic pooh bear that is considered Holy and lives in the sleeping tent. It was Tara's also.

• Like 3

Nakoma's stuffies last up to about ten minutes max. It's almost as if it's his mission to take out the heart (squeaker) as quickly as possible. So, now what I do is I put a ball inside a raggedy sock and tie it. (I have a lot of raggedy socks). He'll play with them and shred it up, but he'll play with the rubber ball anyway after the sock is destroyed beyond recognition. Then I just put it another sock eventually... And so on. Sometimes I even stuff a stuffed Kong into a sock. (I really do have lots of raggy socks, lol).

• Like 7

Love the sock trick! A ball (or two) in the sock has been a great indoor toy for a dog that loves to play ball outside but has to be inside. It's one of the few toys she will play with by herself. I like the double stuffed Kong idea NyteByker. Will try it right now in fact :)

• Like 4
https://www.chewy.com/tuffys-polly-pig-dog-toy/dp/39239?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Tuffy's&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKEAiA2OzDBRCdqIyIqYaaqQoSJABeJZdimK5oxQIaxBILrjs1pRp4sQYYIoqxAhCxAXMcuT2N4BoCKODw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We still have one of these pigs that Tara put a hole in (GSD that died 3 years ago) that the little dogs have not shred. I don't know though if it's because they loved Tara because we also have a venerated Target large classic pooh bear that is considered Holy and lives in the sleeping tent. It was Tara's also.

I just ordered a lobster from the same company will update on the lifespan......

Tayamni still has a stuffed toy I bought for her arrival over 2 yrs ago.

She had a few more, but Coffey the ripper destroyed them.

She was upset. Evidently she is sentimental.

We now buy unstuffed toys if we buy fabric, or let Coffey unstuff them in minutes and expect to pickup stuffing.

See, we can even have a "white Christmas" in south florida! :ph34r:

• Like 3

Nakoma's stuffies last up to about ten minutes max. It's almost as if it's his mission to take out the heart (squeaker) as quickly as possible. So, now what I do is I put a ball inside a raggedy sock and tie it. (I have a lot of raggedy socks). He'll play with them and shred it up, but he'll play with the rubber ball anyway after the sock is destroyed beyond recognition. Then I just put it another sock eventually... And so on. Sometimes I even stuff a stuffed Kong into a sock. (I really do have lots of raggy socks, lol).

OOOoh!!! LOVE the kong idea, too...I fuse old sweatpants, and tied tennis balls into them, one on each end...he still hasn't been able to rip that apart, lol! I bet he would if the stuffed kong was in it! :) I also use an old sturdy kitchen towel (full on cotton) and tie the ends into knots, and I smear some chicken broth on it, and well...nothing more needs to be said! :)

My favorite, however, is a pillow made of towel material. It has the hard plastic that sheets come in, stuffed with nylon batting. It crinkles, and he loves to stick his head into the fold, and then all I see is a puppy body rolling around on the floor, then he gets up and runs, and bites the pillow, making the rustling, crinkling noise. It's the taco effect...he thankfully gave up rolling himself into the carpet, as a bit of cayenne rubbed into the four corners stopped that. The hard plastic only sustains teeth marks, as it is tougher than I imagined. He is hysterical with that thing...it's his napping pillow, too, gathering all his toys sometimes, and sleeping on top of them. Perhaps he is following my example, as when he goes in the crate for the night, I gather up all the toys and put them all in a corner...one could hope, lol!!! :)

Edited by KittynDoc
  • Like 6

Ooh, there are some good ideas, there. I've got those same socks! And I have a pair of sweats that I hate--perfect use. Also I have kept those plastic things sheets come in for I don't know what reason,...until now.

Our first dog loved his toys. They lasted forever, and you could ask him to get specific ones. But once we invited the shredder into the house, all toys were killed. I felt bad for him. He was sad.

So we stuck mostly with tennis balls and heavy frisbees after that. He was King, again. That's his picture, by my name. flying for the blue frisbee. He is up about 4" off the ground, flying sideways.

Here is our Christmas picture; not even all their toys. This was not an easy photo to get, but very fun to take:

christmas toys.jpg

• Like 8

OMG Allison, WOW! she is almost grown up looking!

What fantastic ideas with the sweats, bath towels and plastic sheet cases!!! I love them, and will definitely try those out, too!!! Nakoma loves to tear apart water bottles... it's a good two minutes of fun before it becomes a hazard.. I wonder if those can be put in the casing and then in a kitchen towel... hmmmm... And chicken broth? OH MY!!!! :-D

And what a fun and beautiful picture, Allison!!!

• Like 5

Boxes are the best gift on the planet! Lol. I have to now let Nakoma know whether he can attack a certain box or not. It's fantastic that he knows. I'll touch one and say "no bite," and he'll leave it alone. Then when there is one he can tear apart, I just need to say "toy," and ... well, before you know it, there's sawdust and cardboard chunks everywhere. :-D ...

I'm so greatful that he really does listen to the "no bite" command on certain boxes! One of my jobs depends on me being able to ship out stuff!!! Lol!

• Like 5

I go away for two days,and there's lots to read, lol! Allison, WOW, how beautiful your dogs are...and I'm impressed that they stood still for a second for it...most of the time, Wyot is just a blur...once in a great while, he knows his cuteness, and looks at the camera, right before he attacks it with licking and general excitement, his tail and back end just wagging like it'll come off!!! :):wub:

Boxes are great, and keep him busy...I too need boxes for my business for shipping, but I keep so many, that every once in a while, it's a good sacrifice.Love the cartoon! It's so true..

Going away to a crowded suburban area was a challenge....the streets are dirty, and the lawns....well, it was "no" for too many things...some I couldn't help and God only knows what he chewed! He definitely does not like cars, and I made him stay right at my heel, seated, which he did, and he felt safe, while observing what the big noisy things on wheels were. Too many other dog smells, and he was scared at first of the first ever fire hydrant he had come upon! :P I had to put him in his travel crate too often for my liking, but I exercised him like crazy in the small space. I found a new toy from Petco bargain bin- Nytebiker, it was a "beer" bottle-looks like a Corona, and it is made out of that Tuffy type of nylon, and it covered a real plastic bottle, that crinkles when he bites it!!! At only 2.50, this looks like it will last longer than a plasatic bottle. Evian water bottle is a harder plastic, and if you can find treats to put in the clear plastic, that'll keep them busy for a long time trying to get at

it!!

I agree...their cuteness saves them, LOL!!!

• Like 2

We have found a few fire hose toys that do pretty well, but still don't last.

If you happen to have a baby that likes squeakers (after all, have you ever met one that didn't?) We had amazing luck with a toy called an Egg Baby. There is a duck, a dinosaur, several different ones. The idea being that the body has elastic in the bottom, into which you stuff individual egg squeakers - the closest thing to indestructible we found. Show them that the eggs go in the bottom and they delight in taking them back out and asking you to put them back in. :) One of THE BEST toys we ever found!

• Like 5

We have found a few fire hose toys that do pretty well, but still don't last.

If you happen to have a baby that likes squeakers (after all, have you ever met one that didn't?) We had amazing luck with a toy called an Egg Baby. There is a duck, a dinosaur, several different ones. The idea being that the body has elastic in the bottom, into which you stuff individual egg squeakers - the closest thing to indestructible we found. Show them that the eggs go in the bottom and they delight in taking them back out and asking you to put them back in. :) One of THE BEST toys we ever found!

I did a Google search on "egg babies dog toy" and found results on Amazon, Chewy.com and others. Just wanted to make sure you could find them if you wanted them! :)

• Like 2

My daughter gave me a pair of Crocks way back when.....I never wore them, and was going broke buying toys for the pups. I finally gave these shoes to the dogs to play with and they have teethed on them, wrestled with them, played tug of war with them and there isn't a single mark to prove it. ha ha ha . Wrote an email to crock shoes suggesting that they make dog toys out of the same rubber. Have never heard a word from them...never really expected to. Too bad, they could make a fortune on dog toys. I totally agree with Allison, there isn't a fabric toy on the market that lasts more than 10 minutes with a "shredder."

• Like 2

My daughter gave me a pair of Crocks way back when.....I never wore them, and was going broke buying toys for the pups. I finally gave these shoes to the dogs to play with and they have teethed on them, wrestled with them, played tug of war with them and there isn't a single mark to prove it. ha ha ha . Wrote an email to crock shoes suggesting that they make dog toys out of the same rubber. Have never heard a word from them...never really expected to. Too bad, they could make a fortune on dog toys. I totally agree with Allison, there isn't a fabric toy on the market that lasts more than 10 minutes with a "shredder."

Love the croc idea...just that I actually wear mine, lol!!! The other thing, is that I don't want to give Wyot the idea that he can chew on anything that resembles shoes....so if I can find an old pair of crocs that no one wears anymore, I will cut them in half!!! :P

I've seen the "Tuffy" toys, the hard kind of nylon. Anyone know how long they last? I buy only un-stuffed toys, and he loves the squeaker, so that toy for 2.99 at Walmart (the long red smiling dog that has a squeaker at both ends) doubles as his stuffy that he loves, and a tug toy. :)

• Like 3

Fenris has the same behavior of removing the stuffing on all fabric toys. however we have recently gotten one of the "Fire Hose" toys similar to this one:

https://www.chewy.com/outward-hound-fire-biterz-lizard-dog/dp/113642

He has only managed to get the little fabric feet off of it, but the main squeaky body has held up very well, no penetration or Removal of Stuffing or Squeaky.

Edited by Kodi
  • Like 3