Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Noon Rally For Standing Rock People

Greetings Red Earth Descendants,

We are hosting a Noon rally on the Ashland Plaza this Saturday, September 3 to demonstrate our solidarity with the Standing Rock People in the effort to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline from infringing upon their lands and waters. As many of you know by now, even though the mainstream news is currently blacking out most coverage of this effort, there is a huge occupation camp now on the Standing Rock Reservation in North Dakota. The No Dakota Access Pipeline protest has reached crucial and historically significant proportions and has the potential to make history on many fronts. There are many details and many facets to this occupation, and we invite you to join us on the Plaza this Saturday at Noon to share information, acquire updates and become educated about this amazing grassroots action. If you feel called to do so, make and bring signs signifying your stand against the pipeline. Also feel free to bring food and beverages to share. This is a peaceful gathering, please, as we are following the instructions of the elders and leaders of this movement, and it is imperative that we remain peaceful.

In addition, we have launched a Go Fund Me campaign for a legal defense fund for the camp participants:

Thank you and we look forward to seeing many of you Saturday!

Red Earth Descendants

• Like 4

It pains me so much that I cannot be there to show my support. I have been advocating as much as I can through social media but I do not feel as though I am doing enough. If I had the money I would be flying out there.

• Like 2

Could you help me get some information on where to send some food/supplies? I have been looking but I want to make sure I'm sending things to the right place.

• Like 1

Sure. Get back to you ASAP.

• Like 1

The Micasukee Tribe down here in Fl. took donations for the people up there and then sent a couple people up to stand with them.

I can't believe I haven't seen new coverage on it (aside from the Internet).

OK I CAN believe it :(

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Good morning R.E.D. Community,

We have the honor of announcing another rally coming up this weekend--this time on SUNDAY, September 18 @ Noon in MEDFORD. Some young activists from the Standing Rock community are hosting this rally and we'd love to have the strong support we've been seeing in Ashland also show up in Medford!

This Event will be held on the corner of Main St. and Central Ave, Right in front of the Craterian Theather. Come and show support for the opposition of the Dakota Access Pipeline!!. All are welcomed and very much appreciated.

Our goal is to bring awareness and hopefully gain more supporters! Please help us do so. This is a peaceful gathering please come in good faith and prayer!

See you there! In solidarity~

Red Earth Descendants

• Like 1

Allison, I did miss this post. Labor day was really busy.

If you are not following this movement I can recommend liking the Sacred Stone Camp on Facebook for some good coverage. Sacred Stone Camp has a how you can help FAQ section that includes a shipping address, legal fund, I think there's now a petition and also an Amazon wish list that changes and I am happy to say has been well supported. http://sacredstonecamp.org

Also if you have been wondering about the origins of the Thunderbird Woman and to a lesser extent Thunder Bird Man banners- the original artist is Isaac Murdock (we carried a post on the origin of dog from the Ojibway from him some time back). He gives his unreserved permission to make her likeness for protection of the water (I suspect if you asked him he wouldn't consider himself to "own" thunderbird woman). However if you want to support language immersion for youth and get an original from the artist you can to out to the Collective he runs with artist Christi Balcourt. Look under land support and you will almost always find something available. If you do take a picture and Thunderbird Woman happens to be there, kindly repost here. Isaac is thrilled to see her popping up and likes to know where she is. http://onamancollective.com/research/

https://teespring.com/stores/onaman-collective The canoe image is only available for 2 more days. That's from a photo of a guy that paddled the great lakes in a canoe to get to their gathering.

I really like this one https://teespring.com/onaman-collective-language-imm#pid=370&cid=6566&sid=front Note you might need to search Teespring with search words. The collective has a small steering team and they are all on the road for water gatherings and such.

If you are able to jump in whole heartedly and get behind it great. If you are like me and like technology, know how dependent we are on oil for some of the things that IMO make modern life more supportive of human health and connection I would suggest that you can still get strongly behind the vision of water protection. I recently wrote a letter to American Petroleum Institute Midstream Division asking that they adopt a zero tolerance for spills and put out standards in design, inspection and maintenance in line with this. I am trying to make smarter choices as a consumer and I changed to lead free solder in my studio. I had a great conversation with Forrest at our micro gathering. If he sees this post perhaps he can comment on some of the organizations he is part of and groups that provide inside info and ways to support this for pragmatists. Don't get me wrong. I admire deeply the uncompromising visionaries that are calling to go back to the bush. if it weren't for them we'd never take a step in the right direction.

Edited by Sherab
  • Like 2

This issue is so important! I've been on this earth 64 years and in that time have seen so much happen to our precious water. When I was a teen, you could still dip a cup in Lake Superior while canoeing and take a drink without worry, (yes, I used to do it!) ...no more!...mining, industry, and acid rain changed that. Our family cabin was on a lake in west central Minnesota...beautiful, sand bottom spring fed lake...lots of frogs, butterflies, songbirds of every color and voice, great fishing. By the late 1970's/early '80's...no more songbirds, mutant frogs, no butterflies, and while cleaning sunfish with my mom, I came across one that after I gutted it I said, "We can't eat this one." Mom asked, "Why?" I said, " Feel it...the flesh is all soft and mushy, and right here...a tumor." Now there are NO frogs, and sadly, I wouldn't eat a fish from that lake. All due to the fact that that area is also farm country, and the run off from the fields is loaded with herbicide and pesticide. Farmers are going blind, and getting sick with all manner of weird cancers and auto immune illnesses. People living in big urban areas don't see this first hand over a lifetime...it's so easy to be unaware. Keep up the peaceful agitation, make noise...fight...educate...keep putting the issue where it can't be ignored...it's literally life or death.

• Like 4