Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Mesa And Loki

So many pups going to new homes but I'm sure there are owners still waiting to hear, so I thought I would post an update after our pups first week home (I couldn't get enough puppy pics while I was waiting). We finally settled on his name - Loki it is. He and Mesa have become inseparable and Mesa has grown up so much since his arrival. She sleeps outside his crate and watches over him, but she also tries to take care of her human family too. If she thinks he is getting too rough with one of us, she brings him a toy to distract him then rolls over so he can chew on her instead. If she thinks either he or the cat is getting too rough - she puts herself between them... she's become such a great guardian for us all. It is amazing to watch. Here are some pic updates... Loki in full puppy pounce Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 8.54.48 PM.jpg some playtime antics IMG_2547.jpg IMG_2545.jpg _DSC1584.jpg I have been in awe of Mesa's beauty since the day she arrived so there have been lots of photo shoots... note the eye-roll I got in this batch, as if to say "enough already"... _DSC1659.jpg and some calmer moments _DSC1622.jpg _DSC1648.jpg IMG_2536.jpg IMG_2553.jpg IMG_2551.jpg good luck to all new (or soon to be new) puppy parents!

• Like 10

I love all the pictures! What litter is your Loki from?

Also I'm curious if your other puppy was rough with your kitty at a puppy and if Mesa grew out of it.

Love your story :)

I love all the pictures! What litter is your Loki from?

Also I'm curious if your other puppy was rough with your kitty at a puppy and if Mesa grew out of it.

Love your story :)

Loki is from the Chawa x Rowdy litter - and yes, Mesa was rough with our kitty as a pup. It was odd though, our kitty is a big tough guy who fears nothing - but when Mesa was a pup he let her get away with everything. He has long hair and she loved to grab him by the tail and drag him out from under furniture and pounce on him and pull on his neck fur - but he let her do it. It was as though he knew she was a baby and he exercised a ton of patience. As she got older, they became playmates, chasing each other around the house... the ferocious kitty typically wins games of chase/wrestle. Not sure how a less assertive kitty would have handled Mesa, but our guy found a balance.

When Loki first met the cat, Mesa seemed as though she was protecting the cat (who was showing Loki the same patience he gave Mesa). But once Loki finally got a typical feline response, Mesa jumped in between them to keep the cat away from Loki. So now she's become the referee of sorts - she steps in to make sure nobody gets hurt. It really has been amazing watching how she has grown as the two pups bond.

We are lucky in that our kitty rules the roost so, although there has been some rough play, there's no real aggression between them. Actually, when the cat doesn't want to play anymore, Mesa often gets a nice kitty-style face cleaning to calm her down. Works every time.

Time will tell how Loki adapts to his new feline friend.

• Like 4

I sure enjoy the pictures and i am very interested how Mesa and Loki get along. Mesa sure has helped out getting the puppy settled in.

I have an 4 year old Alaskan Husky female Shale and I hope that she will be as loving and understanding as Mesa has been when she will have to deal with a puppy soon.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting your pics! Yes, it is never enough to look at puppy pictures...and I hope we are not too far down on the waiting list. I was at our river beach, and there were two dogs, and they seemed drawn to me today, as if they knew I was patiently waiting for my little one, and they seemed to say "soon!" They were very cute, very tender, and wanted to nuzzle with me. (chocolate lab and a poodle mix, the size of the lab).

Love to hear your stories, too...hopefully soon, we will have pics and stories of our own! :):wub:

• Like 3

I love that last picture!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the pics and for the update! I like to hear about the growth and interactions of all these pups and dogs.

Quick update... growing like a weed

Yes he is. Love the picture.

• 3 weeks later...

I sure enjoy all the pictures of Mesa and Loki. What a bond the two of those dogs have found. When I get a pup, I hope that Shale, my Alaskan Husky can handle a new pup as good as Mesa has been to Loki. Did you drive down to SDK and was Mesa with you when you picked up Loki?

I an going down this weekend to SDK camp out to find out more about this breed and to see where I am on the waiting list.

• Like 3
Here is an updated picture of Loki at 12 weeks, with his best buddy Mesa. (His legs and ears seem to be growing the most.) [img=http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] FullSizeRender.jpg

What a matched set! They will get a lot of looks while walking down the street! ;)

I sure enjoy all the pictures of Mesa and Loki. What a bond the two of those dogs have found. When I get a pup, I hope that Shale, my Alaskan Husky can handle a new pup as good as Mesa has been to Loki. Did you drive down to SDK and was Mesa with you when you picked up Loki? I an going down this weekend to SDK camp out to find out more about this breed and to see where I am on the waiting list.

Unfortunately no, we weren't able to visit SDK. Would love to do the cross-country trip, but we have not been able to manage it yet... someday though!

Both Loki and Mesa were shipped to us - Loki was up wagging his tail (wiggling his entire body really) and licking us through the grate of his kennel the moment we met him at the airport. He is a super sweet lovable little guy and didn't seem to mind the trip at all.

I hope your beautiful girl enjoys her new pup when she gets him or her. I just told Kim about Mesa's personality so he could assess the pups for a personality that would be compatible. Seemed to work out perfectly - they are quite the pair (much to my relief - I was tad nervous about the possibility of them not getting along).

Going to the gathering sounds like a great time and opportunity for you - wish we could be there! Looking forward to all the pics from the Gathering!

• Like 1

I believe little Loki may be in the middle of a growth spurt. His energy level and appetite have been off the charts this week. Luckily for us, Mesa is still his favorite chew toy.

His coat also seems to be changing - he now has long dark hair over his base of chocolate. It's filling in slowly and creating an unusual pattern. He has also caught up to our kitty in size (to be fair, we have a pretty large cat) - but oh, those ears, love those ears, he has not quite grown into those yet. They actually turn in a little and can look like fluffy little horns.

Some pics as he continues to grow (now 13 weeks)

_DSC1721.jpg _DSC1724.jpg _DSC1733.jpg _DSC1875.jpg _DSC1880.jpg _DSC1912 (1).jpg

and those ears...

_DSC1890.jpg _DSC1891.jpg _DSC1895.jpg

such a joy!

• Like 7

Awesome to see all of them together! Thanks so much for sharing...sure made me smile!!!

Edited by maria
  • Like 1

IMG_5499.jpgSo I think Loki is Zunis brother? March 22 ? Do you know who else was in the litter? The cat is not as fond of Zuni as he would like but you give me hope!

Yes! Love those pics. The one of the cat and he looking out together? So good. Pup and boy? Love it, and lying in the grass....too perfect.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
[img=http://www.iidoba.org/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] IMG_5499.jpgSo I think Loki is Zunis brother? March 22 ? Do you know who else was in the litter? The cat is not as fond of Zuni as he would like but you give me hope!

Yes - I think Zuni and Loki are brothers! I think there was one other pup in the litter, but I don't think I've seen a post on the forum.

Some quick 15 week picture updates... (anything can be a tug toy)

_DSC1956.jpg

_DSC1960.jpg

• Like 4

Oh man, those are so cute, they hurt.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So Mesa and Loki have reached a new milestone. Although they bonded the moment Loki arrived, Mesa kept one item off-limits... her big brother's dog bed. This week, she shared "the bed".

We lost our 14 year old AIDog earlier this year and Mesa still seemed to be mourning that loss when Loki arrived. Loki's arrival improved her mood instantly, but he was not permitted near "the bed". I was so relieved to see her sharing "the bed" because they have had some spats recently and now I am thinking/hoping the arguments may just be normal adjustments b/c Loki is almost as big as Mesa already, is probably going to be bigger, and is maturing quickly. Clearly, they are still friends... phew.

Here they are last month (Loki at 4 months old):

_DSC2019.jpg

Today (Loki at almost 5 months):

_DSC2100.jpg

And sharing "the bed":

_DSC2088.jpg

_DSC2075.jpg

• Like 6