Adoption

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7835 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

Suzie Kaplan in Southern CA (between LA & San Diego area) needs to find a new home for her AIDog ; … 3 year old male, gets picked on by her older AIDog & 4 other dogs in her pack. He’s the type that doesn’t need a lot of attention is shy & loves other dogs, sticks with you on walks & horse back riding. Brown sable, has silver/gray eyes, doesn’t like being in the house alone, sweet well mannered, completely non aggressive & NOT Alfa at all.

We are looking for some one (that already has an AIDog) or a friend of an AIDog owner, that has an interview by Suzie & Kim … to take him & try him out with the condition that they can return him if it doesn’t work out. We are also looking for some one that might be able to bring him to Oregon to Kim’s if know one is found to take him in the southern CA area. We will have pictures of him up soon, Suzie’s phone # is 760-752-1010. This is not a panic situation, that has to happen yesterday, just better for him to have a home that is better for him, where he will not be picked on ~ thanks

Maybe even someone from out of state would be interested?

Kim La Flamme ~

founder of the AIDog breed for over 40 years ~ Presedent of the (AIDog breed club) IIDOBA & AIDog registry & creator of the standard & stud book ~ www.indiandogs.com ~ www.americanindiandogs.com ~ www.iidoba.org ~ forum = www.iidoba.org/forums
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Interests:Love spending time with my family. We do allot of camping, hiking and working on home improvement projects.<br /><br />Hawk is the most wonderful dog I could ever have. And I have had allot of dogs in my life.<br /><br />

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

He sounds so nice. I passed the info onto my sister and her husband. They live in Kingman Arizona, but they are here in Oregon for a month before traveling onto California. They lost their dog of 13 years last fall.

Can't wait to see a picture of him. You said he's only 3? Nice age.
[font=Arial][size=3][color=#FF0000]

#3 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7835 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

Yes, he does sound nice, and the worst is already over--the terrible twos. I hope your relatives will be interested. They would already know the breed, and Hawk would probably be glad for another AID in the family.

That was the weirdest, and most wonderful thing, about the gathering. No fights, no big barking,..all the dogs got on well. Some stood to the outside, a little cagey, but I think they will be more open the next time. It really is a tribe/family/pack, and always a learning experience.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#4 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7835 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:53 AM

Here is some more info from the owner, and some pictures:

Hi Kim,

It was nice talking to you last night. Attached are some pictures of Tommy, as I mentioned he has always been shy and not a people loving dog. He does however get on with all other dogs and plays nicely always. He’s good around horses and other farm animals, we have bunnies, goats and pigs and he has never tried to get them (unlike Moki who would like to catch all the above!) We want him to go to the right home were he can be happy and not terrorized!

Thanks for your help.

Suzie Kaplan

Attached File  Tommy1.jpg   66.18K   38 downloads Attached File  Tommy_2.jpg   71.6K   42 downloads

--David Dunning

#5 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Interests:Love spending time with my family. We do allot of camping, hiking and working on home improvement projects.<br /><br />Hawk is the most wonderful dog I could ever have. And I have had allot of dogs in my life.<br /><br />

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

Allison,

My sister stopped by today and I showed her the picture of Tommy. She likes the way he looks and the things you wrote about him. She is not sure what she wants to do. I think if some one could bring him up to Kim's she would like to go down and see him.

Thanks for all the info on him. He is so cute.

#6 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7835 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

Lisa....Kim wrote that he has his hands full delivering pups, just now, but asked if you might have your sister call him (Or you?). He hasn't had a chance to see the responses, so it would help to let him know what's what. Then he might be able to arrange a meeting.

Thanks.

--David Dunning

#7 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

I talked to my sis today and she is a bit aprehensive. She is still in mourning from loosing "Buck" their dog of 13 years. She and her husband are staying with my mom till the middle of July. She said that she will go down to the library tomorrow and write Kim with some questions. I don't want to push her into something she isn't ready for. I think that her husband is a bit more interested. He just loves Hawk when they come to visit.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for contacting Kim about this.

Lisa

#8 Kim La Flamme

Kim La Flamme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

I talked to my sis today and she is a bit aprehensive. She is still in mourning from loosing "Buck" their dog of 13 years. She and her husband are staying with my mom till the middle of July. She said that she will go down to the library tomorrow and write Kim with some questions. I don't want to push her into something she isn't ready for. I think that her husband is a bit more interested. He just loves Hawk when they come to visit.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for contacting Kim about this.

Lisa

Hi Lisa ~

I understand that your sis is honoring her last dog & not wanting to think about another just yet. .... But the best way to honor a friend that has passed on, is to move on & find another friend. Believe me I know, the lost friend would want you to give that empty spot to another as soon as possable & there is a reason this dog (Tommy) came along at this time.
I've put off contacting owners in southern CA ..... but can only wait so long ... & will start searching down there.
It would be nice to find some one coming here to bring him, but it might not work out that way. Please have your sis call me soon if she is interested at all, these oportunity's don't come along very often ~ thanks, Kim

#9 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:19 PM

Kim,

I know what you mean by moving on. I think that this is a sign. Tommy sounds like the perfect match for them. I will call her again tomorrow and see if they have contacted you.

I know that she talked about on their way home to Arizona they may want to stop by and see him. I think she meant in California. I told her that I would love to take her down to your place for a look if you got a chance to get him up here in Oregon. That way you can see what a handsome fella Hawk is. He is such a joy. I love him so much. Everyone that comes in contact with him can't get over what a sweet heart he is and such a great natured dog. I have to agree.

Talk to you soon, I hope.

Lisa.

#10 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7835 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:20 AM

Anyone heading up from S.California? There is another interested party, and it would be good to get him to Kim's in Oregon.

--David Dunning

#11 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:29 PM

I hope that Tommy can make it up to Kim's as soon as he can. I think that he may have a better chance of being adopted here.

I have a neighbor who lost "Hank" 6 weeks ago. She doesn't get back from a vacation to IceLand for a few days. But I want to show her Tommy's picture. She is ready to get back into having a dog/campanion. She loves Hawk, but her Hank didn't. He was never really socialized with other dogs. This time she wants it to be different. Let me get ahold of her and see what she thinks. It may be awhile but I will let you know as soon as I can.

Every time I see his picture I think about how he is getting picked on. He is so beautiful.

#12 Waya

Waya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

I hope that Tommy can make it up to Kim's as soon as he can. I think that he may have a better chance of being adopted here.

I have a neighbor who lost "Hank" 6 weeks ago. She doesn't get back from a vacation to IceLand for a few days. But I want to show her Tommy's picture. She is ready to get back into having a dog/campanion. She loves Hawk, but her Hank didn't. He was never really socialized with other dogs. This time she wants it to be different. Let me get ahold of her and see what she thinks. It may be awhile but I will let you know as soon as I can.

Every time I see his picture I think about how he is getting picked on. He is so beautiful.

Hi all

I have given another AID owner Suzie's phone number and have spoken to Suzie. There is a possibility of adoption here, just waiting to hear the results.

KK

#13 Waya

Waya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

Hi all

I have given another AID owner Suzie's phone number and have spoken to Suzie. There is a possibility of adoption here, just waiting to hear the results.

KK

The latest on Tommie (Tomahawk) is that my friend is going to meet Tommie next week. Everybody keep their fingers crossed.

KK

#14 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7835 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:49 PM

That is good news. Fingers crossed. I hate to think of one of our dogs, unhappy, and without their "home".

--David Dunning

#15 Mercedes

Mercedes

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Art and Creativity in all forms, esp. ancient methods of painting. Writing, reading, hiking, travel, conflict resolution, art therapy, DOGS, esp. primitive breeds and MOST esp. American Indian Dogs, Toltec Philosophy, Any Kind of Literature or Poetry, Film, Gourmet food, too much more to list! It would be much easier to list what I'm not interested in, but I can't think of anything right now, lol.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

That is good news. Fingers crossed. I hate to think of one of our dogs, unhappy, and without their "home".

Did Tommy find a home yet? I wonder if I should ask my son regarding it. He had been thinking of adopting an older dog, and also an indian dog. He's familiar with the breed and a good trainer, but he's hasnt' had an a.i.d. before, but he knows my dogs and they adore him to no end.
he's a dog person. He recently lost a dog and it was very difficult for him to say the least, it' was July 4th, and his other dog is ten which is a dobbie and they don't ussually live that long, I guess.

I think grief is different for each person, and that it's important for the person to be ready and feel good about it, however, it does push the grieving period through. When I got Cyrus, my last dog, I had to drive several hours to look at him, and I cried the whole way there, I was not prepared for the letting go that entailed. I am mature enough to know that another dog could never replace my other dog, and I was not looking for that, but some owners do try to do that, and are dissappointed their new dog is not "like" their other dog. Well of course not.
When you get a new dog, you have to open your heart again to the animal and when you are in pain from loss, sometimes your heart closes for a time and it's hurts to open it again, but the truth is that it hurts worse keeping it closed. So the dog does not get replaced, but you do get another gift in your life and another reason to open your heart and whenever this happens, it is instant happiness.
Cyrus did help me heal from losing my other dog, very much.
omg, he could not have had bigger shoes to fill, but like I said, I did not expect him to be my other dog or take my pain away about that.
but he was the perfect dog for our pack and I'm so glad I took in another dog.
It was good for my dog to get a good home, because he was in a shelter and seriously neglected if not abused, but I am the one who got the biggest gift.

just some thoughts on that.

Mercy

#16 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:19 PM

It's been awhile, has anyone heard if Tommy got adopted? He is on my mind allot, so I was just wondering.

Lisa

#17 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7835 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:45 PM

I haven't heard, but I sure will check again. Good of you to bring it up.

--David Dunning

#18 Michael and Sonia

Michael and Sonia

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:44 AM

Hi. I'm Sonia and my husband and I adopted an AIDog over the summer. She has tremendous separation anxiety and we were wondering if Tommie still needed a permanent home and if he would be a good role model/babysitter for our puppy. Anybody know if he is still available???
Thanks.

#19 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7835 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:17 AM

I will be talking to Kim, tomorrow. I'll find out.

--David Dunning

#20 Michael and Sonia

Michael and Sonia

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:25 AM

I will be talking to Kim, tomorrow. I'll find out.

Thank you so much. It would be great if it can work out....

-Sonia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users