Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Tehya Finds A New Home

OK--exactly is tandem-scootering? I have all sorts of answers in my head, but don't know which is right or if any are right!

Something like this a pic from the web.

These are NOT my Dogs nor is the picture of Me. I just found something similar to our setup

I have Jasper be my Steering (leader) dog and Tehya is learning to be my wheel dog (drive/engine)

And I have their traces much like as shown, where Tehya is behind Jasper so she can follow his lead. She is a faster/harder runner, so when she gets more comfortable, she can pull a lot of the actual weight, while Jasper follows the 'steering commands' and shows her what/where to do/go. ;)

Here is another link to an official site for the sport. DogScooter.com

It is a heck of a lot of fun, and the dogs have a job and get exercise and so do you.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks like a blast! I'll have to look into it for Denakka and me--if my old body can handle it! Thanks for the info.

Ah the madness!!!

LOL- they are doing what we call Monster-Voices

And a couple of pics.

So the two 'kids' at the dog park, hanging on the table (Tehya had to learn how to get up there.. )

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

And a nice one of her face, very relaxed, chillin' on the bed, watching neighbors walk by outside.

IMG_1076.jpg

Glad to help

Gosh- an excuse to inflict pictures and video of my bestest dogs on the unsuspecting populace?? Sign me up! LOL

As kind of a joke, tho it is totally accurate- the easiest way to tell play-fighting from real fighting is whether there is actual bloodshed or not. But of course, it is best not to let it escalate to that level. Body language and sounds and the reaction of the other dog/s is the key.

Ok, the latest update.

We are right about a month into our relationship, and she has pretty much decided to fit in like we've raised her from a pup.

She is totally comfortable with the rest of the pack..

IMG_1104.jpg

She shares bones with her brother,

IMG_1100.jpg

And she has become part of the weekend greeting ritual.

I get All the Dogs- I Win!!

IMG_1091.jpg

I get home from work, and this is my welcome home party.. lol

Yeah- I think she is going to be Just Fine. :lol::lol: :lol:

Love the photo of the pack. Looks like total happiness. I am so happy for you that everyone is feeling good with Teyha, and just as important that Teyha has found her self in a home that LOVES her.....at last! Also like whats on your coffee mug..."well behaved women rarely make history." PERFECT! :D

Also like whats on your coffee mug...

Oh, noticed that- did ya? B):D

She caught her first treat out of the air!! Yay

Actually 2ce in a row!

So proud of her :D

• 3 weeks later...

So the latest update on Tehya.

I think they get along...

Kids_AC.jpg

especially where there is AC involved. lol

Tehya made another step in her milestones..!

We (all 5 of us) went to hike Mt. Pisgah and she got to wear the weight pack. After a couple minutes of adjustment, she seemed to take to it just fine. I started her at 6# --and over the next couple months, will work her up to the 10# that JJ hikes at now. :)

Guess we are going to have to order another pack.. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Another Tehya breakthrough-

Several in fact. (been busy)

She has gotten the concept of 'down' - apparently it was difficult for her for some reason, but am going to get the hubby to capture it in video. Very cute

She has also started playing with Bonnie, a big good natured collie-friend at the dog park!! *proud*

It isn't the all-out crazyness romping-play like she does with her own pack members, but it is recognizable as Play!

This is a HUGE breakthrough for her.

I can also now pet and brush (brushing was totally foreign to her! sheesh-people...) every inch of her cute little self, and we handle nail trims with little/no trauma.

And once her running went from 'Scared' to 'Fun' at the dog park, she got Much faster.

I joked with the Hubby that the black shading on her muzzle wasn't from coat coloring, it was a buildup of soot from re-entry! LOL

This has really turned out to be the perfect fit! You must be so proud of Tehya. This pup has overcome a ton of "frightening stuff." She has come such a long way. When you think that she was in a kennel for all that time and thanks to you, now has a real dogs life. You and your "hubby" are the best. Congrats to you both.

This has really turned out to be the perfect fit! You must be so proud of Tehya. This pup has overcome a ton of "frightening stuff." She has come such a long way. When you think that she was in a kennel for all that time and thanks to you, now has a real dogs life. You and your "hubby" are the best. Congrats to you both.

Couldn't agree more -- you took a chance on her and WOW what a payoff for both you and the Tehya!!!

JudyK in Northern Michigan

I joked with the Hubby that the black shading on her muzzle wasn't from coat coloring, it was a buildup of soot from re-entry! LOL

Hahahaha.

So glad she is doing so well. She must be so happy. I think of those first days that I had her, and her fear of everything, and real caution. But what a success story! She wanted to move toward "happy", and life just kept getting better for her.

Never too late to change behaviors.

You've done a stellar job!

Thanks so much guys!

She is a wonderful girl that had a huge heart and is full of TRY

Here is her latest accomplishment

Not too shabby, considering when we brought her home- she didn't know what "sit" meant. :blink:

Oh, very nice!

Not too shabby, considering when we brought her home- she didn't know what "sit" meant. :blink:

Inspirational, Star.

Thank you...

Thanks guys! :blink:

She is really such a good girl. She just needed to have some life experience and training, so she could cope with the world.

Tehya is truly worth every minute of effort and patience we have invested! She is doing fabulously at home with her new pack, does well out and about on walks and such, did fine on our big camping trip, and is learning good coping skills at the dog park. We go to the DP almost every day, to help her learn social skills and to build up a big stack of non-traumatic dog/dog experiences for her- to eventually outweigh her bad memories. I know it will take time to undo the damage done by the attack 2.5 mo ago (not to mention her whole previous life..), but she wants SO much to run and cavort with her brother and his buddies- you can see it, the way she watches- she is just still unsure and so instinct makes her err on the side of fear. But each day brings new incremental improvements and fun experiences for her. I know it is just a matter of time :)

Good to know I was right about my first impression of her- that she really is much like Jasper in temperament :)

She is even beginning to be comfortable snuggling. She started out as a nexta-dog, but will now occasionally actively seek real contact from the humans. Yay

Oh- and had to include a fun 'action shot' :D

LapFullOFun.jpg

Oh- the latest pic-

Can you see the attitude change in her over the last month??

I've been working hard on building her confidence. :)

This face Tehya makes, Cracks me Up!

So much Doginality! She is so funny.

Oh- the latest pic-

Can you see the attitude change in her over the last month??

So much Doginality! ]

If we had an Ugliest AI Dog contest there would be no entries!! (Unless someone has seen an qualified entrant that I haven't... :) )

Every one of these dogs is just beautiful. And the beauty of the work you are doing with your three dogs and, particularly these two, is spectacularly so.

(Draco prefers to be called handsome, but fact of the matter is that he is beautiful.)

Edited by Gib
This face Tehya makes, Cracks me Up!

So much Doginality! She is so funny.

What a great idea. I am going to try to make a photo study of all the facial expressions of Tolinka and see what I come up with. I have never known a dog who's facial expressions change so dramatically. Anyone else find this so?

If we had an Ugliest AI Dog contest.....

Hey Gib, maybe that's where we find the ugliest, but so damn cute face. :)