Dog Boarding

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

Very tough. So glad you took her with you. I can only imagine what that day will be like when the two of you start the journey home.

Must be difficult to concentrate in that climate. Here's hoping clouds bring you some cooler temps.
Attached File  clouds.jpg   2K   1 downloads
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#22 Jerry

Jerry

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Motorcycles, boat building and paddling, teaching

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

Well, we just got back home after three days of travel. All went pretty well aside from one issue. I couldn't visit Lola all last week. When I picked her up on Saturday, she was super skinny. A week ago, she was looking a little thin, but two days ago her ribs were showing. The woman at the kennel told me the new food I got for her (I couldn't find much in Logan) must have lower in protein, but it turned out she wasn't feeding her enough either (I should have written the amount down). Today (second picture), she is looking a little better I think, but when I pet here, It's creepy because I just feel bones. Her collar was fitting pretty well, but now it's just hanging off her neck. People we see on the street comment on how skinny she is and want to give her food.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Attached Files

Edited by Jerry, 09 August 2010 - 03:43 PM.

There's facts about dogs and there's opinions about dogs. The dogs have the facts and the humans have the opinions.

#23 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:My AIDog Chhaya...herbs, gardening, the outdoors.

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

How long will you be there yet? I can't imagine how you are dealing with everything! Lola does look a little thin, but I'm sure once you get back home she will get back to her normal weight. In the meantime when you are with her I would try to feed her as best you can...maybe two or three meals a day if necessary. Keep us posted and good luck again with your studies!
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#24 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, drawing, painting, cooking, dog training, film making

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

Sorry she lost the weight, I know it must be upsetting. I'd give her some eggs every day, and fish oil. I know she's built a little more solidly than Danza, so she might need a little more protein than my dog, but I'm just trying a lower protein food with grain to fatten her up a bit after talking to the pet store owner. (We're actually switching to Candiae.) Actually, the main reason for the switch is to get her urine to a better ph.

Danza's real bony, but when we went to the ranch, Kim was pleased with how she looked and said it was nice to see an Indian Dog at the right weight. So try not to fret too much, maybe it isn't quite as bad as you think.
I do beautiful, wild, unique abstract photography.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza
custom_dog_nema2_small.jpg

#25 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:06 AM

I'm glad your 'ordeal' is over or nearly over. She does look a bit thin, but she should be fine after you get her back on her proper feeding routine. Check with your local butcher and see if you can get ground turkey necks or something similar [protein, fat, bone minerals] While they are still young, puppies (less than a year) turn Protein into energy. I get GTN here for $1/lb and it is 'food grade' not 'garbage grade' and in a few weeks I will be starting Jr on it- once his little digestive system settles in on the food change from what Kim was feeding. I'll swap out one of his 3 meals for raw GTN. And Karen is right about the eggs- an egg or 2/day for a week or so will also help. Just don't flood her system with Fat, as that can also cause some problems for kidneys and liver and such.
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#26 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

She missed you, it was very hot,... It's understandable. I'll bet she jumped for joy when she saw you.

She'll fill in quickly.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#27 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

Just don't flood her system with Fat, as that can also cause some problems for kidneys and liver and such.

Not to mention stools... :)
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza

#28 Jerry

Jerry

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

Yep, we are all happy to be home. Lola was happy to see me, but she was sad to leave Jannelline, the owner of the kennel. She was feeding Lola 2 cups / day as opposed to the 3 cups plus fresh meet we were feeding here. Lola wouldn't have lost the weight had Jannelline written down the proper amount of food, or noticed that my dog was starving. I'm a little miffed about it.

P.S. the photos don't show how skinny she really is. She is not just thin, but dangerously skinny. It's really quite scary.

Edited by Jerry, 10 August 2010 - 08:28 AM.

There's facts about dogs and there's opinions about dogs. The dogs have the facts and the humans have the opinions.

#29 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

P.S. the photos don't show how skinny she really is. She is not just thin, but dangerously skinny. It's really quite scary.

Poor girl. Let us know how she does.

--David Dunning

#30 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7847 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

Gee, I've been thinking about this. I'll bet you were miffed. They didn't notice? I mean a little loss of weight is one thing, but they didn't notice she was looking like that poster in the vets office?

At least you can console yourself that she is not malnourished, just underfed. Still,...

Our parrot has been eating and eating. She usually screams to come up when she hears the shower running, but she is quiet, and eating a bowl of raspberries. The neighbor who took care of her, finally brought her some blueberries. He said she ran over and got them. I'll bet she did! I saw the cups of uneaten seeds/nuts/peppers/dried fruit. She only weighs 250-300 grams. Not much to spare.

--David Dunning

#31 Jerry

Jerry

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

Gee, I've been thinking about this. I'll bet you were miffed. They didn't notice? I mean a little loss of weight is one thing, but they didn't notice she was looking like that poster in the vets office?

At least you can console yourself that she is not malnourished, just underfed. Still,...

Our parrot has been eating and eating. She usually screams to come up when she hears the shower running, but she is quiet, and eating a bowl of raspberries. The neighbor who took care of her, finally brought her some blueberries. He said she ran over and got them. I'll bet she did! I saw the cups of uneaten seeds/nuts/peppers/dried fruit. She only weighs 250-300 grams. Not much to spare.

I was a little miffed, but the lady did identify that she was skinny, and had at least taken some countermeasures. I also have to remember that I am a mother hen when it comes to my dog.
Lola not only got exiled from the house for jumping on the counter, she got 86ed from the back yard for chasing the goats. Now I know why.

#32 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Poor girl! Well, you won't have to go back there, will you? Let's hope not. Odds are, Kim isn't going to have 29 pups to contend with again!
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza

#33 Jerry

Jerry

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

Poor girl! Well, you won't have to go back there, will you? Let's hope not. Odds are, Kim isn't going to have 29 pups to contend with again!

Lola is looking better every day. Going back to Summit Creek Kennel may not be the worst thing in the world. It's hard to know. At least I have a year to think about it.

#34 linda

linda

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • Interests:gardening ,cooking, having BBQ'S .keeping busy , fleamarkets , Hanging out with my AID dogs

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

Jerru I feel for you poor Lola has been through more than her share in the 9 months of her life to have someone no feed her enogh didnt the lady at the kennel see her wieght loss? glad ur home so things can get back to norm

Well, we just got back home after three days of travel. All went pretty well aside from one issue. I couldn't visit Lola all last week. When I picked her up on Saturday, she was super skinny. A week ago, she was looking a little thin, but two days ago her ribs were showing. The woman at the kennel told me the new food I got for her (I couldn't find much in Logan) must have lower in protein, but it turned out she wasn't feeding her enough either (I should have written the amount down). Today (second picture), she is looking a little better I think, but when I pet here, It's creepy because I just feel bones. Her collar was fitting pretty well, but now it's just hanging off her neck. People we see on the street comment on how skinny she is and want to give her food.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Linda Bell

#35 linda

linda

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • Interests:gardening ,cooking, having BBQ'S .keeping busy , fleamarkets , Hanging out with my AID dogs

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

KAren I did not knoe about the urine thing I have fed Snake canidia for a while since I was preparing for Malachi because having three dogs each having to have thier own food Canidia was a blessing and as u can see Malachi is doing well as the other s Snake has a very llarge chest mal he is just big I am wondering how much bigger he will get he is stockier than Snake taller too

Sorry she lost the weight, I know it must be upsetting. I'd give her some eggs every day, and fish oil. I know she's built a little more solidly than Danza, so she might need a little more protein than my dog, but I'm just trying a lower protein food with grain to fatten her up a bit after talking to the pet store owner. (We're actually switching to Candiae.) Actually, the main reason for the switch is to get her urine to a better ph.

Danza's real bony, but when we went to the ranch, Kim was pleased with how she looked and said it was nice to see an Indian Dog at the right weight. So try not to fret too much, maybe it isn't quite as bad as you think.

Linda Bell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users