#1 Jerry

Jerry

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Motorcycles, boat building and paddling, teaching

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

So, I'm faced with a predicament. In two days, I'm headed to Utah for four weeks to work on a masters degree. I can't bring Lola to where I'm staying, and I can't leave her here either, for my family is traveling as well (by air). I still may ask the neighbor who has Lola's best friend (this is the place Lola escapes to when she gets out of the yard). However, we don't know him that well, and its a lot to ask of someone. Plus, Lola can wriggle though the hog fencing he uses to contain his dog.
Kim said he could board her if he doesn't have too many litters in the whelping kennels, but I think he's got a full house right now. Another possible option is Canine Angels, but it's a bit out of my way.
I'm now thinking I will find a boarder in Logan Ut. where I'm staying. That way I can at least visit her. There's two contenders I have talked to. One is in town, and is one of those places where the dogs are together during the day and separated at night (they also get one walk outside every day) $15/day. The other is about 20 min. outside of town and sounds a little funkier, but maybe it's better. They also would allow interaction with other dogs, but the lady was vague about the schedule. They are only $10/day ($280 vs $420).
I'm just stressing on the decision, and I'm worried about Lola's well being for the next month. I should pull the trigger on something soon, but I'm not sure. Maybe I should just drive to Utah and hope I find a good place that still has room.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
There's facts about dogs and there's opinions about dogs. The dogs have the facts and the humans have the opinions.

#2 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

another possible solution..
http://www.dogfriend...tyUTLogan.shtml
IF she is crate trained. :)
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#3 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, drawing, painting, cooking, dog training, film making

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

This is always so stressful for me, and it can take a long time for me to find a place or person that I think is acceptable. I'm sorry Kim is so busy, since that would be perfect. People rave about places I would never put my dogs.

Make sure you can talk to some customers of each place, and to the vet for each kennel. A month is a long time. And good luck, both with this and with your work.

Karen
I do beautiful, wild, unique abstract photography.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza
custom_dog_nema2_small.jpg

#4 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

Speaking of vets,did you ask yours? I boarded Tolinka for a couple of days and just hated the thought, but my vet recommended the place, and he visits there often, and that made me feel lots better. When all was said and done, Tolinka was just fine. Oh whew! Ask your vet for a recommendation.
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#5 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

Yeah...a month is a long time. I'd think it would be good to be able to see her. Very tough.

Good luck on your masters!
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#6 Jerry

Jerry

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

Yeah...a month is a long time. I'd think it would be good to be able to see her. Very tough.

Well, I know of a good boarding kennel locally, but they will certainly be full by now, plus they charge $20/day ($600). I just got and email from Kim, and yes, he is way too busy to deal w/ another dog right now (5 litters and 29 pups). Kim has a friend who could do it. This would be a good option because I know she would be in good hands. However, I would have to drive 3 hrs out of my way and I would not see Lola for the whole month.

I'm leaning more and more toward bringing her to Logan with me. I considered finding a dog friendly hotel as Starghoti suggested, but I would still have to put her in a kennel during the day, and it would be cost prohibitive (I'm subletting a room for next to nothing). I think I will just role out there a day early and visit the two kennels that seem to be contenders. Neither seem to be filling up. This way I can get a vibe from each one, plus, I will be able to visit Lola on a semi daily basis. Not to mention my having a companion on the road trip.
There's facts about dogs and there's opinions about dogs. The dogs have the facts and the humans have the opinions.

#7 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

Well, I know of a good boarding kennel locally, but they will certainly be full by now, plus they charge $20/day ($600). I just got and email from Kim, and yes, he is way too busy to deal w/ another dog right now (5 litters and 29 pups). Kim has a friend who could do it. This would be a good option because I know she would be in good hands. However, I would have to drive 3 hrs out of my way and I would not see Lola for the whole month.

I'm leaning more and more toward bringing her to Logan with me. I considered finding a dog friendly hotel as Starghoti suggested, but I would still have to put her in a kennel during the day, and it would be cost prohibitive (I'm subletting a room for next to nothing). I think I will just role out there a day early and visit the two kennels that seem to be contenders. Neither seem to be filling up. This way I can get a vibe from each one, plus, I will be able to visit Lola on a semi daily basis. Not to mention my having a companion on the road trip.

And weekends. try to kidnap her for weekends. :)
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#8 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, drawing, painting, cooking, dog training, film making

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

I like the option of boarding her locally. We did that whenever we could; even when we went to Tahoe, we took Roscoe with us and boarded him there.
I do beautiful, wild, unique abstract photography.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza
custom_dog_nema2_small.jpg

#9 DebiSlaughter

DebiSlaughter

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

I wish I were closer to where you are going, I would board her for you in a hot second. We are looking at vakay places and if they aren't dog friendly, they go in the "nay" column.

My vote is with you taking her with. If you can, board her during the day (do they have day rates?) and pick her up when you leave school. We have several doggie daycares in Michigan - there is bound to be one locally where you are headed.

Best of luck to you on your degree program and once again, you have just reminded me of why I was lucky to find an awesome online university for my Master's and PhD...the residencies were hell, but only a week at a time!
"Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children" - Unknown

#10 Jerry

Jerry

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

I wish I were closer to where you are going, I would board her for you in a hot second. We are looking at vakay places and if they aren't dog friendly, they go in the "nay" column.

My vote is with you taking her with. If you can, board her during the day (do they have day rates?) and pick her up when you leave school. We have several doggie daycares in Michigan - there is bound to be one locally where you are headed.

Best of luck to you on your degree program and once again, you have just reminded me of why I was lucky to find an awesome online university for my Master's and PhD...the residencies were hell, but only a week at a time!

I finally talked to the guy I'm renting a room from, and he is not going to let Lola stay there (I'm not surprised), so doggy daycare is not an option. I'm taking off this morning and taking her with me. I guess I'll find a place when I get there.

#11 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

Good luck. She'll be glad to see you, and will make the best of it.

Hope your work goes well, and smoothly.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#12 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:My AIDog Chhaya...herbs, gardening, the outdoors.

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

Wow Jerry..........I can't even imagine...........hope you find a place....I'm stressing about leaving Chhaya for 4 days the end of the month.....we are going North in PA for a motorcycle trip with some family and close friends who ride also....Chhaya is staying with my sister and brother-in-law and I know that they will take VERY good care of her!!! Guess I need to take a chill pill and be thankful that I don't have to kennel her anywhere or worry about her being well taken care of!!! I just don't like the thought of leaving her....

Keep us updated on how things are going...will be thinking of you and Lola!!!
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#13 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

I get that separation anxiety too. It's awful. :(

Jerry, I'm glad you decided to take Lola with you so you can have visits with her. A month is a long time, but don't forget the dogs are in the moment, and you will be the hero when she is released and goes home. You'll probably get wet doggy kisses all the way home. :D

Focus on your masters, Lola will be fine. Good luck with everything. Let us know whats happening :) (I read what I just wrote and I sound like a mother.... B) )
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#14 Jerry

Jerry

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

Well, I've been here in UT for a week now. It's super hot here (I saw 104deg on one of the bank signs today), and I'm working really hard. Thinks about cramming a semester's worth of grad work into 4 weeks (ouch). Last night is the firs night I've had more than 5 hrs of sleep.
The nice thing is that I found a good place for Lola. I had decided on a place in town that does grooming and boarding. I liked it because they let the dogs play in a common room during the day. I rolled in late last Saturday (no time to shop around) and brought her to Pampered Pets Grooming and Day Spa. Very nice people, but I found that she would be spending the off hrs. 5pm-9am in a cage about twice the size of her crate. "oh, by the way we are closed on Sundays". hmm, not the best.
The next day I found a great place 8 mi out of town. The lady is super nice and really loves dogs. She's a trainer and a breeder of mini schnauzers. The facilities are dialed in for long term boarding. cheaper too ($10/day vs $15). She has been spending lots of time with Lola, and taking her out for exercise regularly. Lola just loves her now. I wish the woman cleaned up a little more, but you can't have everything. She even gave me a key, so I can come and get Lola any time I want. well worth the drive.

On my trip out from California, Google sent me on the road less traveled. This picture is somewhere around the Nevada-Utah boarder north of Salt lake. good thing I gassed up when I had the chance.

Attached Files

Edited by Jerry, 17 July 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#15 maria

maria

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:My AIDog Chhaya...herbs, gardening, the outdoors.

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:14 AM

So glad to hear that things are going well.....was wondering how Lola was and thinking about it yesterday alot....hoped you would give us an update soon. Lola looks like she is doing just fine. Thanks for the pictures! Good luck with the studies!
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

-Ancient Indian Proverb-

#16 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:55 AM

Yes! Good luck with the studies. Sounds very tough. Lola might be just as happy to take a nap, with you, one day.

The picture of Lola on the road (less traveled, haha), she looks so tough. She really is slinky, and cool looking.

Sounds like it will end up being a very good experience for her, and add to your relationship. I can just imagine how she'll feel when the two of you head home.

--David Dunning

#17 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

Good news Jerry. Glad to hear everything turned out o.k. Lola looks great in the pics. Keep us posted, and good luck on your masters.

#18 Jerry

Jerry

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. I took her for a hike today in one of the canyons (in 100 deg heat). Lola seems to be doing great, although she was definably overheating. She was actually happy to go back to the kennel. The owner is actually keeping her in her large fenced in and shady back yard during the day (w/ her schnauzers).

yes Allison, she is a slinky one. I love it. one time I was in the Black hills of S. Dakota watching the prairie dogs when I say a couple of coyotes slinking by. Lola's profile looked just like that in the desert. I was hoping to catch that look on film, but I didn't get the camera out in time.

PS. she really doesn't look that tough in real life.

Edited by Jerry, 18 July 2010 - 02:29 PM.

#19 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:22 AM

I am SO glad it is working out for you guys. I would Lose My Mind if I had to board for that length of time. I am so happy you found a nice place for her to hang out during the days, with dog-friends to play with and a good person to look out for her. :P :) :o :)

#20 Jerry

Jerry

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

I am SO glad it is working out for you guys. I would Lose My Mind if I had to board for that length of time. I am so happy you found a nice place for her to hang out during the days, with dog-friends to play with and a good person to look out for her. :D :P ;) :P

Well, I'm pretty much loosing my mind. I've been here three weeks, and it's hasn't dropped below 90 the whole time (except late at night). The school work is gnarly, and I only have time to visit Lola every 3-4 days.
The bright side is that I only have a week left, and Lola seems to doing well at the kennel. I just got back, and we had a good time playing Frisbee together (she loves that game). She seems happy and healthy, and is obviously enjoying the company of the other dogs even if they are separated by chain-link.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users