• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, drawing, painting, cooking, dog training, film making

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

Horray! And I'm glad you didn't have to wait until Monday for the news. Now go and enjoy this beautiful weekend.
I do beautiful, wild, unique abstract photography.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza
custom_dog_nema2_small.jpg

#22 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

There is a difference between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:30 AM

Huzzah! and Hooray!
Yay Allison and Coyo!
So glad to hear the news.
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#23 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:34 AM

Just got the news on Coyo...FANTASTIC. :) Hope you had an outstanding weekend.
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#24 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:16 AM

We did have a super weekend. The weather was outstanding. You could watch the plants growing!

Coyo will get another check and re-wrap, late this afternoon.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#25 DebiSlaughter

DebiSlaughter

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

Good news! The tumor is benign. The surgeon agreed that it could have started as I saw, with a flea, and a bite, and it may not be any deep seated problem, at all.

We will watch for any developments, but the prognosis is good. Whew!

Awesome!!! I read this whole thread with baited breath...I promise not to go away for that long again...

Give Coyo a little Eskimo kiss from Soul and I...its his new favorite thing to do to all his human and doggie buddies!
"Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children" - Unknown

#26 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

Allison, Tolinka and I still have our paws crossed. (It"s a bit hard to walk that way). Looking forward to total healing as I am sure you are too.

Debi, about the Eskimo kiss....The other day I was watching Tolinka and his best "girl dog friend" and they were doing sort of the same thing. Putting their noses next to the others mouth as if smelling their breath, barely touching...I think only their whiskers touched. Then one would place their head over the others nose, and work towards their neck, again barely touching. They then would start the process over again only the other side. There was a circling thing going on. I am sure I am leaving some of the dance steps out, but to make a shorter story, I did this with Tolinka, and all of a sudden, there is a different show of affection between the two of us. I will sit on the floor, and he will come up to me and repeat this process on me with an additional couple of licky kisses on the cheek. Then off he will go. :Bwahahaha: I just love these connections.
When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#27 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Yoga, weightlifting, Frisbee and fun with my pup Coyote Crow Dog, cooking, art, languages, math, science.....the list goes on.

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:52 AM

We will try that too, the Eskimo kiss. How fun.

He pulled off his bandage, and I am wrapping it myself.
One could argue that evolution suggests were not idiots, but I would say, Well, no. Evolution just makes sure were not blithering idiots."

--David Dunning

#28 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

We will try that too, the Eskimo kiss. How fun.

You go Doc.

#29 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts
  • Interests:camping, crafts, computers, dogs and training, gardening, nature, & being outdoors

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:55 AM

:Bwahahaha: Duct Tape!

(jk)
"There is no such thing as a hyper dog. There are only exercise dependent dogs."

"Where I go, Dog follows. Where I stop, Dog settles. When I am lost, Dog finds me. When I am joyful, Dog joins me. Who I am, Dog knows. What I need, Dog becomes. Dog is great. Dog is good. Dog is everything. I am Dog codependent."

#30 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

Well, I am not sure that I mentioned that I took matters into my own hands, regarding the wound.

We went to have it wrapped several times, and it was simply not working. Within a couple hours the wrap was falling, and I could see blood.

So I started wrapping him, myself, morning and night. A rinse with a gentle anti-bactericide, one that does not kill the surrounding skin, and a fresh wrap. It was counter to the doctor's orders.....leave it alone for several days.

If it had not been bleeding and slipping, I might have left it alone, but as it was, I had to do something.

So,.....it appeared to be inflamed, when I began. Edges turned up and swollen. I rinsed it with a gentle anti-bactericide, and could see the red dissipating. Three times of this, and I could see the edges were no longer swollen and a scab was beginning. I felt this was good, but it would have helped if he could have told me what he was feeling. I was not sure. Heck! His skin is gray!

Today, we met with the vet, who soon called me into the back for a consultation. I was a bit worried, but it turns out that the wound is healing very well, as well as they could have hoped, and they want to leave it open to continue.

Again, I admit that I made my own choice. Once home, we cleansed it again, lightly, and then loosely taped a non-stick pad, without the rest of the wrapping. My thought is that I know this scab is only 8-12 hours old. It would take very little to break it, and 12 more hours will make it that much harder, and that much less interesting to Sitka.

Tuesday we go to have the stitches removed.

--David Dunning

#31 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Yay!
Sometimes you just have to trust your hunches/instincts.

Glad your guy is doing better ;)
And I'm sure Coy-Boy will be glad to not have to try to ignore the bandage any more.

Have a great, and hopefully much less stressful, weekend!

#32 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3422 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

Well, I am not sure that I mentioned that I took matters into my own hands, regarding the wound.

We went to have it wrapped several times, and it was simply not working. Within a couple hours the wrap was falling, and I could see blood.

So I started wrapping him, myself, morning and night. A rinse with a gentle anti-bactericide, one that does not kill the surrounding skin, and a fresh wrap. It was counter to the doctor's orders.....leave it alone for several days.

If it had not been bleeding and slipping, I might have left it alone, but as it was, I had to do something.

So,.....it appeared to be inflamed, when I began. Edges turned up and swollen. I rinsed it with a gentle anti-bactericide, and could see the red dissipating. Three times of this, and I could see the edges were no longer swollen and a scab was beginning. I felt this was good, but it would have helped if he could have told me what he was feeling. I was not sure. Heck! His skin is gray!

Today, we met with the vet, who soon called me into the back for a consultation. I was a bit worried, but it turns out that the wound is healing very well, as well as they could have hoped, and they want to leave it open to continue.

Again, I admit that I made my own choice. Once home, we cleansed it again, lightly, and then loosely taped a non-stick pad, without the rest of the wrapping. My thought is that I know this scab is only 8-12 hours old. It would take very little to break it, and 12 more hours will make it that much harder, and that much less interesting to Sitka.

Good going Allison. I am a true believer that mom's know best in a situation like this. Plus it gives you the advantage of staying on top of it and watch the changes of the wound, for better or worse. Thank goodness it's all for the better. Hoooooreeeeeey ;)

#33 DebiSlaughter

DebiSlaughter

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Debi, about the Eskimo kiss....The other day I was watching Tolinka and his best "girl dog friend" and they were doing sort of the same thing. Putting their noses next to the others mouth as if smelling their breath, barely touching...I think only their whiskers touched. Then one would place their head over the others nose, and work towards their neck, again barely touching. They then would start the process over again only the other side. There was a circling thing going on. I am sure I am leaving some of the dance steps out, but to make a shorter story, I did this with Tolinka, and all of a sudden, there is a different show of affection between the two of us. I will sit on the floor, and he will come up to me and repeat this process on me with an additional couple of licky kisses on the cheek. Then off he will go. :Bwahahaha: I just love these connections.

That is it!!!! Soul did it the first time with my besties little girl and then with Punkin (dad in laws corgi). I started calling it Eskimo kisses and then bumped noses with him...now he does it all the time! We'll play pretty rough at times and I'll holler out "time out" and then Eskimo - and here he comes to bump and nuzzle. He's still an ear kisser at heart though - his fav thing to do at night - he will wrap himself around our shoulders while we're on the couch and kiss our ears...I think he just likes to hear us giggle!!!
"Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children" - Unknown

#34 DebiSlaughter

DebiSlaughter

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

Once again, Momma knows best. Instincts run pretty tight with these guys! Glad to hear he's doing better. I'll tell Soul...I'm sure he'll send a few yips Coyo's way!

#35 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

You guys are the best. Thanks so much for the backup.

--David Dunning

#36 Starghoti

Starghoti

Jasper and K'ne's Mom

• 2352 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

Anytime
(beeep beeeep beeeep beeep)

#37 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, drawing, painting, cooking, dog training, film making

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

You da man. Keeping a bandage on a dog's tail is next to impossible. Vets know that!
I do beautiful, wild, unique abstract photography.
www.karenhyams.com
And here's my dog Danza
custom_dog_nema2_small.jpg

#38 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

Well, we screwed up. He has been so good, that we take the cone off outside, and he is great, but one of us left the door open, he slipped in, and as quick as a lick, had the scab off.

I found him immediately, washed it, and covered it loosely. Darn.

He is supposed to get the stitches out Tuesday, but I am considering putting it off until Thursday.

--David Dunning

#39 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

The scab healed over quickly, and today we get the stitches removed. I imagine they will ask him to wear the cone a while longer, but at least the end is in sight.

We had it off yesterday, for a while, and it was fun to see the wrestling that ensued.

Life is good.

--David Dunning

#40 Allison

Allison

Troublemaker

• Administrators
  • 7833 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

Stitches are out and the cone is optional, depending on how much he bugs it. Hooray!

Plus! They didn't charge us! I love the new vet.

Much boisterous play has ensued.

--David Dunning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users