Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Some of you older members will get that joke.

Just left Coyo at the vet, to get the cyst removed from his tail. He was not happy, and I felt bad leaving him, but the vet people are so strict about letting you sit by your dog's side, during surgery.

I have heard that as soon as the owner is out of sight, the dog calms down and is easy to work with.

I pick him up around 3pm, today. Hope all goes well, and I'll let you know.

I feel like such a heel. He is always at my side, and here, when he needs me, I leave him.

I know it is for the best, but darn.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Allison I know the feeling it sucks I felt that way when snake had to be fixed I actually took a day off from work now on the 18th Mal will going I will be a mess until I see him cant take the day off but my son will be picking him up they will never be the same with that dog there hahahah

Just left Coyo at the vet, to get the cyst removed from his tail. He was not happy, and I felt bad leaving him, but the vet people are so strict about letting you sit by your dog's side, during surgery.

I have heard that as soon as the owner is out of sight, the dog calms down and is easy to work with.

I feel like such a heel. He is always at my side, and here, when he needs me, I leave him.

@Allison- a: yes I get the joke b: Hey! I'm NOT old... c: I can truly sympathize with you for 'leaving him' and feeling like scum.

@ all- I actually know of a vet in Corvallis OR that will allow you to sort of be there- they have a 'viewing area' outside of surgery so interested folks can observe. And they let me watch when they had to remove a bit of of necrotized tissue from Raiden's (lizard) tail. Was kind a cool to see the treatment area. ;) Fortunately I am a non-squeem type.

Good luck to Coyo! I know a cyst is a little thing (not as major as having his breadbasket removed), but those silly dogs still need to be put under for real. Don't they know they would be better off if they could just hold still?

And a whole crop of pups will be heading off to the vet's to be snipped etc soon, so good luck to them all. I know it is hard to "abandon" them, but think of it this way - when our very very nice vet, who is only there to help, comes into the room, Roscoe immediately comes to me and tries to hide behind my legs. I do not want my dogs associating me with whatever unpleasant things the vets do to them when they take them away to the nether regions of the office, and I don't have much faith in my powers to ease their pain. What I can do is give them a joyful greeting when they come back from their torture session, which is, really, often no more than a little shave on their front paw and some blood drawn.

Right you are, Karen.

Coyo, however, does not forgive, so easily. He'll be grumpy.

This calls for a little extra TLC.

Thinking of you Coyo and Allison....I'm sure everything's going to be just fine. In the big picture of things, aren't we so lucky that modern medicine has the capabilities to fix most medical problems. Hugs to Coyo, congrats to the doc that is taking that nasty thing out, and Allison, this to will pass. After you pick him up late this afternoon, I would sit quietly with him with a glass of wine, tell him he was a very brave AID. .........my two cents worth.

Sending you our best,

Tolinka and Miz Molly

Blessings for you and yours.

At 3pm, we will also be at the vet's for Draco's #2 puppy shot.

We will be thinking of you and sending you our warmest thoughts.

I did sit with Coyo, for a very long time. He was still quite drugged. I thought of all the times that I was sick with the flu, and he stayed right beside me. I was glad to return the favor.

Seems the two doctors who said it was nothing serious, were wrong. The surgeon said that when he sliced it open, it was clear that it was a tumor, and not a cyst. It has been sent to the lab for tests, and I will let you know the results.

He is on antibiotics and pain meds. The tumor was large enough that there was not enough skin to close it over. He will be going back to change the dressing several times, as they attempt to close it with a liquid collagen--much like "liquid skin".

He is wearing a cone, and very unhappy.

The pup is bugging him, but after a while, he moves to one side, and lays quietly.

I know how this thing started, know how it progressed, and I find it very difficult to believe this is cancerous. But then, I never would have thought it was a tumor.

Liz, can you tell me how Shunka's experience with tumors started?

Oh Allison-

Our thoughts are with you and Coyo.

My fingers are crossed, and our tails are circled. I remember when you first mentioned the "cyst". I know that Coyo is a very dignified dog, and the cone must be too much for him to bear.

I'm glad you decided to have it removed. I'm hoping it's nothing. Scratches on the chest, right between the front legs, for Coyo.

Scratches on the chest, right between the front legs, for Coyo.

How'd you know that was his favorite?

He has been very good about leaving his tail alone. I have been able to take the cone off when he stays in sight, and when outside. It is clear that he understands the purpose.

Today we get his bandage changed. I'll see if I can get a look at it.

They let me watch. He is healing well; no necrosis.

I was surprised at his skin. It is not like ours, more pebbled, like an armadillo. Perhaps granular is a better word.

He has not been acting as if he has had any discomfort, until today, after the bandage change. It is difficult to tell if he is in pain, if perhaps a stitch is poking him, or his hair is caught in the tape...?

I gave him another pain med, his first for today. I thought it better to get him through the change, and then we'll see. We have to wait four days, one day too long, before the next bandage change, because of the weekend.

He was so upset going in, but was very good while they worked. Then a huge smile, when he was back in the truck. I think it may be good for him to go in for these short visits. Perhaps he will get over his fear of the vet.

Yes, they got it all, and no, no word on the nature of the tumor.

Glad to hear he is on the mend! Give him a chest rub for us!! Fresh Aloe Vera right off the plant does wonders on healing the skin. I used it on a bad snake bite and it healed completely.

I'm sending you my mojo and hoping Coyo a fast recovery!

So glad to hear he is doing well, that they got it all, and that he is readjusting to visiting the vet (or at least leaving.. Bwahahaha)

We are still sending our happies to him tho, can't hurt :)

One of my tried-trues for skin injuries is Raw Honey and Carrot (use a parmasean grater so it is carrot paste)

I fostered greyhounds for a while, and with their thin coat every scratch showed. This was the "neosporin" substitute I used. The only problem was keeping them from licking it off.. :) But won't hurt them if they do. They would always lay there and wait for about an hour (so long as I kept an eye on them) then they'd lick it off. *sigh* I would put it on 3-4x/day and they would heal up with hair regrowth and little/no scaring, so it works. Just thought I'd share. OH- and I usually keep a glob in an old film canister in the fridge. Keeps for several weeks at least. Works on burns and hotspots too. And yes, I use it on myself as well :D

I know some bicycle racers who swear by the honey, and I have used it with good success, too. I like the warm tingly sensation. Good addition--the shave carrot.

Liz, you will laugh at this:

I tried that ProCollar. It is like a inner tube you blow up and place around their neck. It's much nicer than the cone, and very well made. Unfortunately, it does not work as well. Coyo was much happier, and doing fine for most of the day, but got hold of his tail while I was making dinner (not watching). I'll have to have it re-wrapped, today.

I think it would be fine for places closer to the head, and perhaps along the body, but he was able to reach his tail.

I was really impressed with the product, other than that. I will try it again, for a different type of injury.

Allison, so happy to hear that Coyote Crow Dog is on the mend. Oh happy day! We (Tolinka and I) will keep our paws crossed until he mends completely.

Sending you healing energy and lots of crossed paw belly rubs.

Good news! The tumor is benign. The surgeon agreed that it could have started as I saw, with a flea, and a bite, and it may not be any deep seated problem, at all.

We will watch for any developments, but the prognosis is good. Whew!

Good news! The tumor is benign. The surgeon agreed that it could have started as I saw, with a flea, and a bite, and it may not be any deep seated problem, at all.

That news and sunshine have started my day out well.

Good news, Allison. Great news, Coyo.

That news and sunshine have started my day out well.

Good news, Allison. Great news, Coyo.

Yes - very good news. It's a good day.

Horray! And I'm glad you didn't have to wait until Monday for the news. Now go and enjoy this beautiful weekend.

Huzzah! and Hooray!

Yay Allison and Coyo!

So glad to hear the news.

Just got the news on Coyo...FANTASTIC. :) Hope you had an outstanding weekend.

We did have a super weekend. The weather was outstanding. You could watch the plants growing!

Coyo will get another check and re-wrap, late this afternoon.

Awesome!!! I read this whole thread with baited breath...I promise not to go away for that long again...

Give Coyo a little Eskimo kiss from Soul and I...its his new favorite thing to do to all his human and doggie buddies!