Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

That was a very fun look into your life. Really enjoyed it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody up for a game of Whack-A-Mole?

Hi everyone! It's been an absolutely amazing first week with our little fuzz-ball! He is very easy to train and is probably the most hyper and feistiest puppy I have ever seen! When he plays fetch in

A friend of mine is learning how to use photo editing software; and he made this for me. I am going to have this printed onto a shirt! I love it! Nakoma truly is a colorful soul! And this creation

Posted Images

"sitting in the sand" is my favorite expression shot.....I can hear him telling a joke and waiting for your reaction. ha ha ha :D

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Nakoma is part jumping bean. I am convinced. Here is a quick slideshow of my precious boy...

(I was experimenting with a photo editing app). I can't believe he is turning 1 tomorrow. Holy Cow! He is amazing. Still working on the "heel" and "come here" commands, which he does beautifully with.... Until he sees another dog or cat or squirrel or seal or leaf or wave or blowing sand... Haha. His energy amazes me. His ways amaze me too. Just everything about him is different from any dog I've ever loved and raised.
  • Like 2

Hi!!! Here are a few more shots of my big boy from this past week. Can you tell which ones are from his birthday? :-) Now that March is coming to an end, dogs will not be allowed on the beach again until October (and sadly, there is talk of even that being cancelled, ugh). So of course, Ranger Komi and I will be needing to wake up earlier to sneak in our runs for the next six months (or forever). I've never woken up at 4:30 before to go for a run. Wish us luck. :wub:

Birthday Boy 2.jpgBirthday Boy.jpgFinallyCaughtTheFrisbee.jpgKing of The Beach.jpgKing of The Jetties.jpg

• Like 4

Beautiful pics and Ranger Komi looks good. Happy belated Birthday!

Love the action in the video. Although my eyes couldn't keep up with all of the utube video. LOL!

Ahhh, the all important STICK - an AI Dogs most beloved toy!

Tayamni is envious of the beach photos but hopes you are able to go again in October.

(we have a lot of restrictions in South Florida - and a lot of fees in my county).

If we lived in the Keys we would have some NICE beach access - like when we visited Keme and his family (keywestmama22) last year!

• Like 2

Thank you, Denise!

Lol, yeah, the video can be a bit blinding... Sorry. I made another one of him and his puppy friends playing on the beach, but it's over 4 minutes long... So I never sent it because.. Well... Who has 4 minutes these days? :-)

He LOVES sticks! Every morning we find new driftwood on the beach, and each piece he picks up seems to be his most favorite toy in the world.... Until he drops it and finds another one, Lol. I'm trying to let him know though that they are just for play and not chewing/eating... He has pooped some wood several times and I don't want him to rip open his intestines or anything. But since wood is all over the place, it is kind of hard to keep him away from it.

I'm sorry that we made Tayamni feel a bit envious. If you ever come up to our beaches during the freezing cold winter months, Nakoma would be happy to show her around! :-)

Beach restrictions really aren't fun. I could understand maybe having certain areas off limits, or more preferably, just certain times of the day.... But having the entire beach closed to dogs all day and year long? That's just mean. Where are the dogs supposed to get their playtime? :(

Oh... And... You had me at "Keys," Lol. I'm sure it must be wonderful living there (and warmer winters, too, haha). :-)

• Like 1

Guess who ran into the ocean this morning and tried to catch a helicopter flying by. Guess who didn't actually catch himself a helicopter today. Guess who totally ignored me saying "come here" until the helicopter was out of sight. :blink::D

• Like 2
Guess who ran into the ocean this morning and tried to catch a helicopter flying by. Guess who didn't actually catch himself a helicopter today. Guess who totally ignored me saying "come here" until the helicopter was out of sight. :blink::D

and I will never look at that Geico commercial the same again!

Now, the "spy" will be on the phone with his Mom who's rambling about the squirrel's - and I will be imagining 'Ranger Komi' Leaping and doing the "paw wrap" around the legs of the helicopter!!!!!!!!! :D

• Like 2

Nakoma and three of his beach playmates currently have Kennel Cough. =( I know it's not a big deal, and he still went running this morning with me like the trooper that he is. However, he was disappointed this afternoon that we didn't go to the dogpark during my lunchhour like we always do, and that we only ended up walking. He kept looking at me like I was crazy, and even told me so in one of his many voices. Lol. Poor dog. It's going to be a long 10 days. ...

But the good thing is... I got his weight at the vet yesterday. My champion weighs in at 41 pounds. With the way he nearly yanks my arm off my shoulders, I could swear he weighs 400 pounds. Haha.

• Like 1

Ahh Kennel cough, we had it too at my home.

Coffey the younger one still puppy licks dogs faces and well ---- he brought it home from the dog park that way and of course Tayamni got it too (from him).

Tayamni recovered on her own, but Coffey got an upper respiratory infection and then they BOTH had to go on antibiotics!

They were home quarantined for 6 weeks because of the secondary infection.

Not happy campers, but they did come to enjoy the spa time / steam room bathroom and now continue to rough house with each other in the backroom and it sounds like they are going through the walls!

Who knew it would become a favorite place to play?

I guess giving them the honey lemon water (when they were coughing) after the steamy bathroom must have made some pleasant memories.

Or they just like banging around in the bathroom now! :blink:

I hope your Nakoma has been able to shake it off and is better now!

Even with the Bortadella vaccine there are other strains that cause the kennel cough but the dogs don't get it as bad. Coffey got it just before his second round of the nasal spray so that's probably why he ended up with actual infection.

Tayamni gets the vaccine twice a year and Coffey will too. They say it helps for dogs that are boarded, day care, go to dog parks or travel.

Ahh, does Ranger Komi make different howls too? Maybe you can post some audio of his different vocalizations and conversations he has with you. ^_^

Is he the one that almost speaks sentences?

• Like 1

Ahh Kennel cough, we had it too at my home.

They were home quarantined for 6 weeks because of the secondary infection.

6 weeks?!?!?! Aye Caramba!!!! Nakoma (and his beach buds) are on a 10 day quarantine... and this is driving us crazy!!! I couldn't imagine 6 weeks!!! We have still been going for our early morning runs, and his cough is mostly gone, so that is good. The vet did put him on a 10 day dose of antibiotics though because of the threat of a secondary infection. It turns out that his beach buds also are on antibiotics as well (we don't all use the same vet, but some of us do).. I guess there is something going on. I don't know. Better safe than sorry. Nothing is phasing Nakoma though... (Except for the not being allowed on the beach or going to the dogpark).. He's going insane there. I thought he was vaccinated for this already, but I don't remember (I have to check his records). But if this thing is like a common cold, I don't see how a vaccination would be effective. Who knows? I'll talk to the vet during our next regular check up and see what the deal is. He's a good vet.

Not happy campers, but they did come to enjoy the spa time / steam room bathroom and now continue to rough house with each other in the backroom and it sounds like they are going through the walls!

Who knew it would become a favorite place to play?

I guess giving them the honey lemon water (when they were coughing) after the steamy bathroom must have made some pleasant memories.

Or they just like banging around in the bathroom now! :blink:

^That's funny!

Ahh, does Ranger Komi make different howls too? Maybe you can post some audio of his different vocalizations and conversations he has with you. ^_^

Is he the one that almost speaks sentences?

Lol, YES, he makes different howls, too! And other interesting sounds. I call him "Chewbaca" because he sounds exactly like Chewy does!!!! And he almost looks like him, too!!!! I do have one video of him being silly while I was practicing my flute (but I am shy to post it because of the whole me playing the flute thing). He and I do have conversations with each other, (more like verbal arguments) but I think it was one of his siblings' owners who posted something about speaking sentences. (Atticus or Kaposia? I don't remember... but it was posted within the past two weeks, lol).

• Like 1

Ahh, the "chewbaca" sound. (I know it well from hearing it - sounds just like the wookie!) :lol:

Tayamni does this and also some monkey noises. :P

I must have left the TV on too much when she was little! Although, I don't remember watching Star Wars with her.

We do watch finding bigfoot but she doesn't pay attention, I do see an eye roll here and there ....

These dogs are so funny. I know she was getting Coffey's attention and calling him to play when I heard the Chewy noise this week.

I've got to pay more attention to her certain vocalizations for meaning but she hadn't chewbaca'ed in a while and I thought it was just a puppy thing.

When does Ranger Komi "chewy" out?

• Like 1

Sitka is a big talker, too. He does the Chewy sound when he is rolling around on his toys. I never put that name to it, but after reading this thread, that's exactly what it is. It's so funny. However, the funniest thing is when he is sleeping between us, and my husband groans as he rolls over in the night, and Sitka copies his groan. I have to put my hand over my mouth because I can't stop giggling.

• Like 2

Sitka is a big talker, too. He does the Chewy sound when he is rolling around on his toys. I never put that name to it, but after reading this thread, that's exactly what it is. It's so funny. :D I didn't think of relating him to Chewy until I watched the new Star Wars, and my daughter and I looked at each other with big eyes when Chewbaca first spoke, and we both thought "Nakoma!" Lol!!!

However, the funniest thing is when he is sleeping between us, and my husband groans as he rolls over in the night, and Sitka copies his groan. I have to put my hand over my mouth because I can't stop giggling. Now THAT made me LOL!!! I can only imagine that! Too funny!!!

Ahh, the "chewbaca" sound. (I know it well from hearing it - sounds just like the wookie!) :lol:Totally!!!

Tayamni does this and also some monkey noises. :Phahaha! Monkey Noises! Now that I need to hear!

These dogs are so funny. YES! know she was getting Coffey's attention and calling him to play when I heard the Chewy noise this week.

I've got to pay more attention to her certain vocalizations for meaning Me Too but she hadn't chewbaca'ed (Good one) in a while and I thought it was just a puppy thing. I hope it's not just a puppy thing... I'll miss it!!!!

When does Ranger Komi "chewy" out? :lol:The Chewies usually happen when he is expressing impatience or disapproval. Lol. Like, when I make him stay still before getting his treats. Or, after coming back from a run and he still wants to play outside (I'll say, "you did good, boy!" and he starts Chewying and looks outside, and I say "what?! you want to go back out? We just did ten miles!" And he does more Chewies." ... that's just an example. He does it at other times, too.

Then he has other sounds. ... I make him go through a whole routine of tricks before being allowed to eat his food: sit, stay, lay down, sit up, lay down, sit up, beg, paw, other paw, dance, roll over, stay... then I move to the other end of the room, past his food, and tell him to "come here," which he does without stopping at his bowl, followed by more tricks. By the time we get to "beg" again, or even sit up, he does these deep grow like sounds, as if a teenager is sighing when you ask them to get up from the couch to answer the doorbell or something... Lol. ... talk about "eye rolls."

He also yells at me. If I forget to bring a toy on our walks, for example, he will tug on the leash with his teeth. I yell at him to stop biting the leash. He barks back at me, and pulls the leash some more, and looks at my hands as if he is saying "well, you forgot the toy, again..." I tell him again "No Bite The Leash!" and again, he barks back at me, and actually HITS me with his paw on the leg!!! He's a rascal, I tell ya.

Oh... and for some reason, with certain toys, he actually whimpers when he chews on them or plays with them. It's adorable. He just whimpers and whimpers and whimpers. I actually "Googled" it the first time he did that, and it turns out that he just loves the toy and is overly excited with it.

He has a gazillion more sounds too... I will be here all night if I list them all. But yes, he is very vocal. Ohh... at first, he used to howl when my daughter would play the piano or I would play the flute... but he doesn't do that any more. Now he brings toys and pushes me ( or my daughter) while trying to practice. Lol!

He rocks!

• Like 1

So, my big boy and I had a little bit of a scare yesterday morning. We are both ok and we both went about our usual routine after it. ... Nakoma, aka Geronimo, being his stubborn self on the beach yesterday morning, decided to ignore me yet again while trying to get him to "come here." (No, I didn't have him on the long lead like I said I would try.. my fault, I know). The ocean yesterday was a bit rougher than usual, and a lot of sharks (small ones... about two to three feet long) and mini stingrays (I don't know what else to call them) have been washing up on shore this past month. Something out in the water definitely got Nakoma's attention, as he kept looking out there, sniffing the air, and going in and out of the water along the shoreline during our run, as if trying to follow something. Then... he did it. He jumped on the jetty, which instantly put me into panic mode, pleading with him to come back. He wasn't listening, and now I'm screaming at him to "come here" (I Know... that is the worst thing to do... but I was panicking and could not stay calm). He was running on the rocks further and further out . ... I don't know why, but finally, he stopped suddenly and turned around to come back (thankfully), but that is when a wave came and wiped him out. First I saw him, and then he was gone, out of sight, and off the rocks. I don't know how I did it or how I got there, but with in a split second, I was over waist deep in the water, tripping on the hidden part of the jetties, with Nakoma somehow back on the jetties. I was holding onto his collar as I guided him back to shore, both of us stumbling. We both scraped up our legs a little bit, but other than that, we are totally fine. He did shake his head a few times (he probably got water stuck in his ear), but he looked as if he was so happy and refreshed and just wanted to play. The rascal! The water is still pretty cold here (NY), and I know HE has been going in it all winter long, but I wasn't planning on swimming until at least July.

I still don't know what it was that he was trying to catch or see... and I'll probably never know. (Shark? Whale? Dolphin? Seal? .... mermaid (that was my daughter's thought)? Bird? .... well... I kept him on the leash for the rest of our run (yes, we still finished, even though I was soaking wet, with heavy wet sneakers, and freezing). And this morning? well... we kept to the streets since dogs aren't really allowed on the beach until October anyway. ... Let's see what tomorrow brings... We'll probably break the law and head for the beach again. ... But will I keep him on the leash? Will he stay away from the jetties from now on? Or will he now see them as a diving board? We will soon find out in the upcoming adventures of Geronimo!

Oh... and luckily... I left my phone at home yesterday morning so it didn't get wet. Hmmmm.... interesting....

*Sidenote: For those of you unfamiliar with beaches and oceans... it's perfectly safe to swim in the ocean... but the jetties are dangerous. They are huge rocks (boulders) that will break your skull, or any other bone, if you fall on them or get pounded into them by a wave. And you can definitely get your foot caught in a crevice as the water knocks you around. They are very slippery when they get wet, especially with the algae. They are fun to be on during low tide, but not fun at all during high tides or rough waters (the ocean is sometimes as still as a lake, and other times it is in a fury). Here are pictures of the jetties from calmer days (with Nakoma, of course). Jetty 1.JPGJetty 2.JPGJetty 3.JPGJetty 4.JPG

... oh.. and while looking for the Jetty pictures, I found this picture of a harbor seal we came across a few weeks ago. My friend (in the pink coat) held onto Nakoma's leash while I went to take the picture. ... and where is Nakoma? In the back, on his hind legs, wanting to make friends with this adorable creature! He cracks me up!!!!! Find Nakoma.JPG

• Like 1

Wow! What a dangerous adventure! Glad you both made it back safely to safety. Keep those stories coming :blink: ... The last picture looks like maybe another harbor seal is taking pictures of the people and dogs behind his buddy :D

• Like 3

OMD! I was holding my breath through your escapade!

Grew up in CT on/near Long Island sound: we sometimes called them breakers as opposed to it being a breakwater. A breaker not being in a harbor, but that it breaks up the water / tide / etc. along shoreline or out from parts there of.

I'm glad everyone is OK and I can't believe Nakoma goes in that freezing water!!!!!!! I can't believe you finished your run.

Holy Crap! :o

Hmmm, maybe it was a Mermaid. I initially thought you were going to say Nakoma hunted a shark.

For some reason, I don't think Nakoma is going to be deterred from the jetties. It's sounds like he took this all in stride - just another day at the office.

Just wondering, do you have mussels growing on the jetties where you are?

I'd ask if they are any good to eat but with the other stuff washing up out of the ocean - I might think twice in that area.

• Like 2

Lake Superior is my spirit home. It has an alure that has spoken to me since childhood. Beautiful, moody and deadly as any ocean if you don't respect it. There are stone jetties to break the waves near the ore docks in Marquette. The local university spends a great deal of time during orientation warning students of the dangers on the seawalls and jetties during heavy weather, but every few years there is tragedy. ...had my heart in my mouth when you described what Nakoma did...really glad you are both alright!

• Like 2

Thanks Carolyn! It was definitely scary there for a minute when he disappeared from sight. I'm so glad he didn't get hurt. My baby boy!!! Lol to the last picture looking like it was taken by a seal. I was laying on my stomach when I took the shot to be eye level with Harpy (I just named him that, lol).

Denise, the jetties do the same thing (I guess they are the same thing) as breakers, based on your description. I just never heard them called that around here. (Time to do a Google search, lol). ... And yes, it was cold, but I was so shaken up that I would have been a mess all day at work had I not finished the run. (I've done worse and colder, but that's a story for a campfire setting, haha).

I wouldn't have been surprised if Nakoma was hunting a shark. He's already brought me a dead shark and a living eel, among other "interesting" things. Always with a "hey Mom, loom at what I found" look and prance as he brings it to me, usually followed by me saying "Eeek, what is that thing?! Give it to me so I can throw it back in the water". .... Then I throw IT (whatever IT is at that moment) back in, and then you hear me saying, " No, Nakoma, leave it in the water! We're not playing fetch!". Lol. Never a dull moment!!!

And, I think you are right about the wipeout not deterring him. We really need to master the recall, quickly. I know he can swim well, but jetties... Aye caramba.

And yes... We have tons and tons of mussels and clams and crabs. And seagulls. (Think "Finding Nemo" with the "mine! Mine! Mine!"seagulls.). But I've never eaten them. ... And I don't know why the sharks and rays have been washing up lately. I haven't read or heard anything about a problem.... Maybe it is from the seals that are leaving for the season? I haven't seen many dead gulls or fish, so that is always a good sign.... :-)