Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Jasper's Latest Adventure

Karen, thanks for those pictures. So glad to see that there are others attempting this crazy feat.

Star, your on. I did not have "a rabbit" for a long time, and I think that may even help to settle them, and me into the scooting. Work out the kinks and distractions while you are doing most of the work. Then when you do get that "rabbit" you'll see that it is fast--almost too fast. I was glad that they knew the ropes by the time they really let loose.

My guess is that you and I will be thrown off and the dogs will finish with our scoots.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd add something to this thread. I've had the Springer attachment for my bike for several years. I've used it with quite a few different dogs (as I've fostered quite a few), and it has gone well. It's another nice way to give your dog a more extensive workout, especially if you're fat and lazy like me and hate running. They don't really pull but rather run beside you. I've had no mishaps with it. The way it's made keeps them away from the wheels. I had to get my setter used to it by walking with it for awhile, but now she's fine. Mia has been very good with it too.

Gotta get back out there now that it's warming up! I hate cold.

I've read up about bikejoring which is another idea. But this attachment keeps the dog at your side if you're leery about having them in front of you. It's also a nice option if you don't have room for another thing in your garage! Also, you can just use a standard harness rather than a pulling a harness. My only complaint is that when I bought a new bike, the frame is higher than my old one. That meant that my seat had to go higher than I would normally like to allow for the springer to attach. I'm used to it now.

Here's the link to the company, but I've seen it sold through multiple retailers.

http://www.springeramerica.com/

Just thought I'd put the word out there in case people hadn't heard of it, or don't want to buy a scooter, but still want to exercise your pup more. That being said, I'd still love to do scootering. Have fun scootering!

Sandee

That's neat Sandee-

I'm sure lots of folks will be glad you posted about the springer.

I am actually working up to scootering with Jasper to help him build muscle for DiscDogging and to help wear him down.

LOL

He is one energetic boy... :D

So running along and Pulling the scooter is a plus.

And for us the scooter is a much smaller piece of gear to haul around in/on the car for camping and hikes and such.

This is the sort of thing that JD Platt uses, and recommends. I'll find a photo..

He argues that you have much more control over the dog, and it is much more safe, than having the dog in front and free to make choices.

dogscooter.jpg

JD Platt-2006 Gathering

DSCN0183.JPGDSCN0182.JPG

Here are a few shots of Ma'ii using his uncle Hawk's scooter for the first time. He actually did okay for the first attempt.

Thanks Karen for the pics, haven't seen them in a while.

Actually, the picture with Rose on the scooter is her pup Chief, my grandog. And it's her hubby Heath in the lead.

The fuzzy picture is Ma ii and me on the scooter.

L.

I wondered. Hey, we got another shot of you on the scoot. That's great.

This all looks like such fun. I bet you all are glad that spring is just around the corner so you can get out and scoot! :D

LOL-

we're out NOW.. :mellow:

Rain?

Pfffff

:D

Just had a potentially BRILLIANT Idea for my scooter rig.

Using a couple pieces of 'pipe insulation' closed cell foam tube stuff, I can rig a Safety-Suspender for my tugline.

Should help keep the line out of the front wheel!

T piece around stem, with a foot or so perpendicularly holding the line.

Possibly Problem Solved!

Yay

...now to see if it works..

LOL

I want to see a picture. Can't quite visualize it, although I think I have the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok- a couple pics (thanks T!) of JJ and I Scooting down our street.

He was kinda wondering what dad was doing standing in the driveway, so he wasn't really putting himself into the scooting, but you can see that he's having fun- regardless.

Heading out.

100_1300.jpg

100_1301.jpg

Whatcha Doin' Dad??

100_1302.jpg

Very nice! Looks like your board is wide enough to have your feet side by side?

I see what you mean about the harness being a little big. I think my dogs bunch up when I'm along side, too, but maybe not that much. Do you have a belly band?

You two look great. Guess that scoots a little small for Guido. Good planning.

Very nice! Looks like your board is wide enough to have your feet side by side?

I see what you mean about the harness being a little big. I think my dogs bunch up when I'm along side, too, but maybe not that much. Do you have a belly band?

You two look great. Guess that scoots a little small for Guido. Good planning.

I got a $9 skateboard from Walmart, cut it down, and drilled it out for the bolt holes on the existing (negligible) footboard. Best thing Ever! being able to stand with both feet!!

I took a few tucks in on the harness, so only the length is kinda off. The straps ride really close to where they should be. Especially when he pulls correctly, then he loves it. It bunches up a bit when he is too far off to the side tho.

Belly Band? For me or him?? lol

T isn't really interested in scooting with JJ, tho he will occasionally dust off his bike during good weather and ride with us.

My harness that I ordered from the outfitters, has a belly band that helps to keep it from riding up. I think I may have added a strap to the harness Kim gave me. I'll take a photo, and send it.

Yes, I do envy your ease of foot position. Nice work!

Oh, did I mention I am teaching Jasper several new tricks?

My goal is at least one new trick each week. :)

Hope to have a fun repertoire by the Gathering.

• 2 weeks later...

We have begun scootering at AltonBaker park. aka- miles of nice paved undulating trails along the river and through the woods. He's picked up some speed, and he has figured out that it is wiser to slow down when passing joggers/bikers on the trail too.

Very fun. He is really getting the hang of the 'steering words' now, and we hit the dog park in the middle of the route. So he can "play" as reward for his hard work.

He thinks it's awesomes! LOL

Gonna have to have the hubby help me get new pics/video for posting soon.

Just wanted to update y'all

Gee, I wish it would stop raining. Good for you guys!

Gee, I wish it would stop raining. Good for you guys!

Rain Schmain..

lol

except for his tendency to jump over puddles.. we care not about rain.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news--

Jas and I will be starting a pre-agility class this week!!

Yay!! Can't wait :wub:

Awww that is so cool!!! Something I have been thinking about for Chhaya and Koda....need to find out what is around here as far as classes...been pretty busy lately and just need to take the time to find the info! Good luck and please keep us posted!!! Love those adventure stories!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah and finally got this uploaded

Jasper wearing out yet another youngster at the dog park.. Jas being 10 mo and the other dog (goldendoodle) being 7 mo.. LOL

My friend keeps telling me how she loves the way my dogs "prance". Seeing it in Jasper is so familiar--love it.

I've got to try a vid.

They had been playing KeepAway with a chewed up chunk of tennis ball..

and the GDoodle wore out way before Jasper.. lol

I love, after the other dog lays down and gives up, Jasper's range of expressions including the right ear flick of "oh, you're Done.." before he comes triumphantly to me.. It is like a person raising their eyebrow.. lol :wub:

And his range of expressions both blow my mind and crack me up..

Ha! Now I read it.

We run through a list, "What do you want?" , frisbee, milkbone, yum yum, walk, out...

Or "What was it?" Cat, dog, rat, squirrel, deer, bird, people...?

When you hit the right one, Coyo does what we call the "Timmy's hurt" expression. He tilts his head and opens his eyes wider. It is clear to everyone, that you hit the answer.

Very fun dogs.