Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

The Dakota–U.s. War Of 1862: A Symposium Of Remembrance

The Dakota–U.S. War of 1862: A Symposium of Remembrance

Rasmuson Theater
November 19, 2015
1:00 P.M.5:30 P.M.

nmai1.jpg

In the late summer of 1862 a war raged across southern Minnesota between Dakota warriors, U.S. military, and immigrant settlers. In the end, hundreds were dead, and thousands more would lose their homes forever. The day after Christmas, 1862, thirty-eight Dakota men were hanged in Mankato by order of Abraham Lincoln. It remains the largest mass execution in United States history. The bloodshed of 1862 and its aftermath left deep wounds that have yet to heal.

Held in conjunction with the exhibition Commemorating Controversy: The Dakota–U.S. War of 1862, on view at the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D.C., through December 29, this symposium examines the lasting consequences of the violent and divisive Dakota–U.S. War of 1862 that led to the exile of the Dakota people from their homeland. The program explores the subject from a variety of perspectives, with attention to the role of broken treaties; the effects on the community and Dakota history after the war; memory and multigenerational impacts; efforts at reconciliation and healing; and how cultural institutions address the Dakota War and their efforts in partnering with the Dakota people.

Live webcast at: http://nmai.si.edu/multimedia/webcasts

• Like 1

Look at our dog in that picture. there is one of our dogs!

All very sad. Hard for me to imagine how people can be so cruel.

And Abraham Lincoln....how could you? How could you? He was my one historical figure in which I could believe.

I can only surmise that he was wrestling with these issues, that they were all happening at the same time, and that he tried to make up for his failure. Failure.

I want to believe that he realized his mistakes, and that he tried to made a difference in his fight against the south, and slavery, but I may be deluded.

I have been raised with this tainted history lesson and brought to an understanding that he emancipated slaves.

Did he do this at a cost to our American Indian brothers? It seems so. Did he do this to make up for this travesty?

My hero is now vilified, and with reason.

It breaks my heart that people can be so mean.

• Like 1

some of the men hanged were innocent, at least 2 of the 38. All these men should have been treated as prisoners of war, not regular criminals and tried under military law.

President Lincoln actually sent a list of 39 men to be hanged to send a message, supposedly to prevent another uprising. 38 were actually hung.

There are so many lessons to learn from history and many parts of history are hidden (history written by the victor).

If we all don't learn form history (all sides & perspectives of it) - I'm afraid we are doomed to repeat it in various ways.

FEAR is one of the WORST and greatest motivators to shut one's heart and mind.

Wow! About the dog in the painting!

Usually when I see an historical photo or paining the dog is a camp or with the women.

This is interesting to see the men gathering and their horses and dog(s).

• Like 1

Ken Burns is a documentary film maker and he has revolutionized how to weave the tapestry of a time, using period music, photos, letters as well as well researched facts. There is even a setting in my Mac i photo called the "Ken Burns" setting because he realized that just a still picture is not as compelling as a close up on a face then a slow pull back of the camera to show the larger photo. http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/

The Civil War came out on PBS in 1990. It wasn't his first film but it was his first massively viewed one and it was an epiphany. He has others, including Prohibition and The West which are awesome. If you ever feel like we are living in crazy times, just pop one in the TV. It's always been turbulent and weird - not sure that's particularly comforting - then go walk in nature and count your blessings.

Lincoln was complicated. Clearly and consistently speaking out against slavery but also a believer in the Union and the Constitution. Originally he had no intention of reforming - his policy was more status quo and let it die it's own death. In late 1862 he used emancipation to prevent Europe from siding with the South and pressuring for an end of the war since they wanted Southern cotton. This was 2 years into the carnage causing some abolitionists to call him a first rate second rate person. However in the North slavery was far from a black and white issue - hard to understand today- and Lincoln understood the risk of more states leaving the union, civil unrest - which did happen - riots in NYC - units deserting - which did happen, working within the constitution and structure of the way power is set up and balanced in the US. And ultimately Lincoln gave his life. I think he did an amazing job slipping through a window and threading a needle. Ultimately he was successful. With respect to the '62 rebellion it seems consistent with a man enveloped in the darkest days of the Civil War - they were loosing in the North for 2 years - and for a man upholding the Union at 10 - 50,000 dead per battle. Instead of executing 300 as was demanded he reviewed each case and made his decision. http://www.historynet.com/abraham-lincoln-deciding-the-fate-of-300-indians-convicted-of-war-crimes-in-minnesotas-great-sioux-uprising.htm

• Like 2