Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welcome to American Indian Dogs

Register or login now and gain instant access to our features!

Just about everyone I talk to is suggesting swimmies for dogs or a floaty device until she learns how to swim.

I think it's funny that she does the submarine thing - (happy she holds her breath and does not panic!!!!!!) ;)

I don't want her jumping off after a dog into an area that doesn't have an incline to shallower water for her to follow - until she can swim.

I watch her closely - where she is - even though it's a "no people swimming area" IF she were to jump into a deeper area - I would follow!

She seems to know not to jump because she see's other dogs swimming when they jump in.

Someday this may excite her into jumping --- I can see it as she stands at the edge of the bank. I have also seen her look down into the water from the bank - she must be able to sense it is too deep for her right now???

What do you all think?

What experience and training did y'all with grown AI dogs go through?

I really hope to get to the beach (dog section) soon and go in the water with her.

I expected to teach her to swim in a pool when she was younger - but that never happened.

The water is not warm enough for ME to go in yet.

I know, I'm a wimp :( but my lips turn purple if in the water for a length of time if it's under 76 degrees.

Usually I don't go in the water if it's under 80 degrees water temp. I've got another month or so before it's close to that down here.

I am hoping she learns from other dogs - but so far she's a little submarine!

Did/does anyone else have a submarine dog?

• Like 1

Rain puts her nose in the water and blows bubbles in the BIG pot of water I keep outside. Does that count? She hasn't been to the river yet. That will wait til summer.

• Like 2
Rain puts her nose in the water and blows bubbles in the BIG pot of water I keep outside. Does that count? She hasn't been to the river yet. That will wait til summer.

Ohhhhh, that's TOOOOO cute! :wub:

Maybe she wants to snorkel! :ph34r:

• Like 1

Swimmies for dogs, must be something people use at the beach "just in case" a wave rolls over them?

• Like 1

A Purina article suggests using these swimming aids: https://dogchow.com/articles/1529/teaching-your-dog-to-swim

I can see if a dog is on a boat or something like that - in case of emergency at sea .......

life vest - uses.JPG

Here's some pics I found online.

It seems the shark theme is IN - life vest - sharkie.JPG swimmies (shark).JPG

Life Vest vs. Swimmies life vest vs swimmies.JPG

Old fashioned life jacket: Life jacket.JPG

Something new? FLOATIES instead of swimmies! floaties - new.JPG

I can't see Tayamni waiting for me to inflate the swimmies or floaties and secure them on her!

"Cuts into play time Ma!"

I seriously do want to hear about other's experience ..... I just couldn't resist these photos!!!!!! :PB)

Edited by Denise E.
  • Like 1

We use one on Shiva and for Tara. It's great for elderly dogs with mobility issues.

Also have one for Waki - I think it's like having a float board for a kid - lets them stay out longer.

• Like 2
We use one on Shiva and for Tara. It's great for elderly dogs with mobility issues. Also have one for Waki - I think it's like having a float board for a kid - lets them stay out longer.

Which type do you use?

swimmies, floaties, neck jacket or body vest?

So far Elena doesn't have any interest in going in the ocean or any fresh water that she has seen. She even panics if one of the boys is in the bath! I haven't seen many dogs ever using a floating device at our beaches. It seems like a good idea if the dog wants to be in the water and is challenged. They look just like our sheltie Duke's backpack for hiking. We call it "put your clothes on Duke" and he knows it is time to suit up and go! Please keep us posted on your swimmie experience.

I'd like to get her a backpack for hiking so if I get something for swimming it would be a vest.

She's 34 pounds so I think a neoprene vest will be enough for her. Still checking things out ...

Petco has a vest (I hope they have it in stores as well as online - I'll be there tonight to see.

I have to bring her to stores instead of buying online because her girth and her neck size (she has the slender lean neck) somehow make her two different sizes!!!!!!!!

The Petco near me doesn't have backpacks in the store right now :(

I don't think she'll need to wear the vest always, just for training. I don't have any boats to go out on and don't have a pool, so most of the water areas we would be at have sloping ground.

If I go to the water park that has dock jumping available - if she got to that point and liked jumping - a vest might be good for her until she gets more stamina.

Swimming will be a really good exercise for her if she takes to it - instead of the splashing around. Well that's fun for her too! :D

Will keep you all updated!

UPDATE on Tayamni's swimming adventure!

So GLAD I got a life vest before taking her back.

YUP It happened! She leaned too far over a bank and went KERPLUNK into deeper swimming water!

Vest worked great!

She is learning how to swim!!!!! :D

Petco had some Life Vests I really liked - but not in her size.

I went to other locations and the have their own brand now and I didn't like it as much.

It fit her OK, but something was 'off' to me, so I looked for another and returned the first vest (prior to use).

I agree that it is best to try these on before buying or if ordering online make sure yo can return w/o penalty.

I read the reviews (thanks Sherab!) and found some more reviews online after that: I liked the Outward Hound life vest the best but found a Henry & Clemmie's (which also has great reviews)

http://themodernbark.blogspot.com/2013/05/4-best-dog-life-jackets-reviewed.html

It fits her well, has growing room, doesn't limit her while running around on land and it WORKS to keep her head up out of the water!

The lift handle is comfortable, too! and it works (I tested it before buying it - don't want to tip the pup the wrong way if lifting out of water).

NOTE: She didn't like having the vest on - and was sullen about it in the store and at home (when I was making the final fitting adjustments.

BUT when I put it on at the swim park - she didn't pay any attention to it at all! :)

IMG_20150412_163924.jpg IMG_20150412_170514 swimming crop.jpg IMG_20150412_174200 - crop.jpg

Here's some pics of

• Like 1