Photo

How Many American Indian Dogs Are There In The World?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DarmokElizabethontheocean

DarmokElizabethontheocean

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Creating new laws for the qualifications and accountability of service dog trainers in WA.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:07 AM

Someone at the dog park asked me how many AI dogs there are in the world. I thought it was an interesting question. Could someone provide me with a number?

#2 TrueNorth

TrueNorth

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Northern Ontario getaways. Clear lakes, kayaks & a full moon. Nature lover, fire dreamer, intuitive.
    Drawn to Native culture, grew up beside Kanesetake (Oka), Quebec.
    Former Weimaraner addict. Volunteer with dog rescue group doing work in Quebec, Ontario & Mexico.
    My son and I are looking forward to our AI pup completing our circle.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

good question - there should be stats!  Or we should start some!

#3 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

we could have a raffle - lol   :P  people could guess ...

I'm not sure all AI Dog owners report when a best friend (AI Dog) crosses so the answer will be a formula based on statistics?

ie.  (average # litters per year x average # pups per litter) X average life span (Yrs) of an American Indian Dog

Does that sound correct?      or maybe it's: ..... X (lifespan yrs - 1)

I don't know, just hypothesizing how one would come up with an estimate   B)

#4 sschenck

sschenck

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, horses, chickens, goats, primates, every other animal, nature, music, books, my family and my Lord Christ Jesus!

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:04 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop! ;)

#5 Sherab

Sherab

Advanced Member

• 2283 posts
  • Interests:Wishing you Joy, Blessings and Wisdom

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

Sounds good to me Denise. Greg could probably give the best guess at # of pups per year. Allison or Judy K might have an idea of average life span. Haven't seen much on the forum. Dusty was 18. I think we are more likely to see the accidental deaths. I just don't recall a lot of data on life span. I'll make a guess. Say 50 pups per year. Everyone should live to 10 years but 5% premature passing due to accidents. That's 475 Then if 15 years is the average life span let's guess 45, 40, 35, 30 25 still living for each of the next 5 years. If 18years is the outside number then how about 20, 10, 5 for a total of 50X10 years - 5% = 475 + 45...25...20....5 = 685 Give or take. That's my WAG (wild a$$ guess).

#6 DarmokElizabethontheocean

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Creating new laws for the qualifications and accountability of service dog trainers in WA.

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

Look, Algebra!

#7 miz molly

miz molly

Advanced Member

• 3349 posts
  • Interests:My 4 legged friends, photography, music, painting, hiking, fishing, the beach, and a good cup of coffee in the early morning.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

:blink: you made my head dizzy with all that math....

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir

#8 LakeGirl

LakeGirl

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

And then the devil said, "Put the alphabet in math."
"A life ain't much of a life without a dog in it, s'what I always said."
Dan Gemeinhart, The Honest Truth

#9 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • Interests:Lakota Ceremonies, praying, helping others, reading, camping, farming, horses, dogs, cats. History, science, Universe & other learning shows and of course my entertaining mindless TV shows: sci-fi, supernatural, anime, action, comedy ... Oh, and I have an ironic sense of humor

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:57 AM

Sounds good to me Denise. Greg could probably give the best guess at # of pups per year. Allison or Judy K might have an idea of average life span. Haven't seen much on the forum. Dusty was 18. I think we are more likely to see the accidental deaths. I just don't recall a lot of data on life span. I'll make a guess. Say 50 pups per year. Everyone should live to 10 years but 5% premature passing due to accidents. That's 475 Then if 15 years is the average life span let's guess 45, 40, 35, 30 25 still living for each of the next 5 years. If 18years is the outside number then how about 20, 10, 5 for a total of 50X10 years - 5% = 475 + 45...25...20....5 = 685 Give or take. That's my WAG (wild a$$ guess).

OK so your raffle # is 685??

My WAG is 800.

I'm averaging 16 year life span and being conservative on # litters per year and litter size instead.  When I was on waiting list there were more litters each season and also averaging more pups per litter at that time.  ( :D

OK back to my dog count:  I'm averaging 2 litters x 4 seasons (used to be more - conservative here to account for the life span variables) x 5 pups per litter (my guess is anywhere between 3 and 7).  2x4=8, 8x5=40.  40x16 = 640.

HMMM, I think I could up my calc to 2.5 litters x 4 seasons.  10x5=50.  50x16=800.

OK.  I'm not conservative, I'm optimistic?????  upping to 2.5 litters and guessing 16 year life span.    Then 800 less 5% (account for) = 760.

I like the 800 number better.  I don't know how I came up with 16 year ave life span.  guessing, hoping???  ^_^

#10 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

And then the devil said, "Put the alphabet in math."

and call it Algebra.

I think Geometry is worse!

#11 Samie

Samie

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

and call it Algebra.

I think Geometry is worse!

It's called Geometry for a reason...Gee I'ma Try. Can you tell I'm from the south? :rolleyes:

#12 DarmokElizabethontheocean

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

Some one asked me again today how many AI dogs are out there. I said ah ha I know that answer!

#13 Denise E.

Denise E.

Advanced Member

• IIDOBA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

Some one asked me again today how many AI dogs are out there. I said ah ha I know that answer!

I was watching Animal Planet a couple weeks ago and there was a segment on New Guinea Singing Dogs (of course I thought of Felix and her new pack member ...)  anyway the narrator states these are rare dogs only about 500 in the world.

I wondered how they would know that.  :blink:

I'm having fun with the question & my calculations are just a layman's calcs.   I am not part of the breeding program or an IIDOBA board member.

My calcs are for Entertainment Value only.  (Isn't that what they say in Vegas?)   :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users